Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UK locker room erupts after third loss
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is a link to part of the article. I hope this will help the team out.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/barrier_noent...&mid=&rid=
Can someone post the entire article?

Not everyone is a member.
Yea, im not a member and i would really like to read this article.
Found a link here it is-http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=908542
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Moments after Kentucky lost its third straight game, a convincing 66-57 victory by Mississippi State on Tuesday, the Wildcats quietly made their way off the Rupp Arena court and down the long corridor leading to the locker room.

Then the place erupted.

"We just had a huge confrontation in the back right after the game was over," said sophomore Patrick Patterson. "People said what they felt like needed to be said. People exchanged words, had heart to hearts and said what just needed to be said to get it out there in the open."

The entire roster, by all accounts, contributed.

The looks on the faces of the Kentucky staff tell the story during the team's third straight loss.
"Pretty much everybody was saying something, even the guys who didn't play today," Patterson said. "Everyone had an opinion. Everyone had a statement to say whether it was about the game or about individual play or team play."

Patterson declined to give specifics, but he reviewed the themes of the so-called "huge confrontation."

"Just talking about passion, about playing soft, not playing like we have been playing, not playing like Kentucky, about people acting scared. Just a whole variety of things," he said. "No one was scared to say what they felt like needed to be said. No one cared about anybody's feelings. What needed to be said needed to be said."

The one person who did not speak was coach Billy Gillispie.

"Oh yeah, coach was in there," Patterson said. "He just sat back and let it go."

After opening SEC play 5-0, Kentucky had improved to 16-4 overall and moved into the top 25 for the first time this season. But three straight losses, all in games where the Wildcats were favored, has sunk them to 5-3 and in danger of missing the NCAA tournament. The Wildcats still have road trips to Arkansas, Vanderbilt, South Carolina and Florida and home dates with Florida, Tennessee and LSU.

The question that remains is whether the blowup in the locker room will help as Kentucky goes into hiding for seven days before a home date with rival Florida on Feb. 10.

"I think it was desperately needed," Patterson said. "It could have happened after the Ole Miss game. It could have happened after the South Carolina game. But better late than never. Now that it's out there the only thing to do is correct everything and come play."

And play like their basketball season depends on it, because it just might.

"It's a do-or-die situation," Patterson said. "We all believe that we do need to beat Florida. No exceptions. No if, and or buts. We have to win against Florida. We all need to be excited and we all need to be anticipating the Florida game. We all need to have that chip on our shoulder.

"There are a lot of games left. We will turn this around."
read this yesterday on catspause. Sounds like the players are tired of the way there playing. Wouldnt be surprised if they came fired up when they play florida.
I hope this helped them and they start playing good ball.
This was posted yesterday.
They have an entire week until there next game (vs. Florida), so hopefully they can get everything straightened out and kick the Gators butt.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:They have an entire week until there next game (vs. Florida), so hopefully they can get everything straightened out and kick the Gators butt.

I anticipate that the Cats make a change in the starting line-up. I'd like to see Either Miller or Liggins start at the 3. I don't like Liggins at the PG, so take advantage of his size and try him at the SF position. Do this even if Miller is the starter. IMO, Miller's D has proven that he needs the minutes on the floor. Harris just can't stay healthy, so I'd rather have him be my sixth man, bringing experience off the bench.

Stevenson has hurt the Cats pretty badly over the last two games. We cannot win without him. I think when BG pulled him last night, it was to send a message. If you recall, when the Cats made their last run, and Stevonson made the poor decision and fouled, he was done. I loved what Gillispie did in sending a message that said if you are not going to play team basketball and make good decisions, you will not play!
This is either gonna pull this team together or drive them further apart.
I really hope this helped the guys out. I think it would have been interesting to hear though haha.

But I hope we got on the winning side of things against florida.
I have tickets, and if I have to witness a 4th straight loss, I might throw up.
Stardust Wrote:I anticipate that the Cats make a change in the starting line-up. I'd like to see Either Miller or Liggins start at the 3. I don't like Liggins at the PG, so take advantage of his size and try him at the SF position. Do this even if Miller is the starter. IMO, Miller's D has proven that he needs the minutes on the floor. Harris just can't stay healthy, so I'd rather have him be my sixth man, bringing experience off the bench.

Stevenson has hurt the Cats pretty badly over the last two games. We cannot win without him. I think when BG pulled him last night, it was to send a message. If you recall, when the Cats made their last run, and Stevonson made the poor decision and fouled, he was done. I loved what Gillispie did in sending a message that said if you are not going to play team basketball and make good decisions, you will not play!

Well why does Liggins play?

He rarely makes good decisions with the ball.
it wouldnt bother me if harris and liggins didnt even see the floor i hate seeing liggens bring the ball up
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Well why does Liggins play?

He rarely makes good decisions with the ball.

Well Liggins is the only one out side of the combo of Patterson and Meeks that can get to the Rim..... Also he plays better D then Porter.
I think Porter plays better D. Plus no one else gets a chance to get to the other end of the court because Liggins shoots it so dang quick.
Porter plays better defense than Liggins. Porter also plays 10x as hard as Liggins.

Liggins has more talent, but has much more to learn before Gillispie puts this team in his hands.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Porter plays better defense than Liggins. Porter also plays 10x as hard as Liggins.

Liggins has more talent, but has much more to learn before Gillispie puts this team in his hands.

My point exactly.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Porter plays better defense than Liggins. Porter also plays 10x as hard as Liggins.

I concur.
I hope this will pull them together and make them play hard. They need something. During the Miss. St. game they shot the ball and there was one offensive player for Miss. in the paint and 3 UK defenders the ball bounced off the rim on to the floor and it was like they just watched as the Miss St. player picked it up and put it in. You cant win if you dont want the ball. Another problem i see is they need a PG that can score. Porter is no threat to score and a team with only 4 scorers are easy to defend with 5 players. Meeks and Patterson can only do so much.

Great post, very accurate
Exactly what this team needed! They needed a fire lit under them. I think the rest of the season will go really well.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:This is either gonna pull this team together or drive them further apart.

Couldn't agree more.