Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is cheerleading considered a sport @ your school?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
im going out on a limb here, but this is just my opinion. i feel that for cheerleading to be considered a sport in kentucky, that there needs to be a cheerleading competition, because what kind of sport stands on the sidelines of a football game every friday night and cheers, that to me is not considered a sport. HOWEVER, i think that if the cheer squads came together for a tournament, like any other kentucky sport, and competed for a state title, like every other ky high school sport, then KHSAA would recognize it more, and it would sooner or later be considered a 'sport' in Kentucky
twinsbaseball20 Wrote:im going out on a limb here, but this is just my opinion. i feel that for cheerleading to be considered a sport in kentucky, that there needs to be a cheerleading competition, because what kind of sport stands on the sidelines of a football game every friday night and cheers, that to me is not considered a sport. HOWEVER, i think that if the cheer squads came together for a tournament, like any other kentucky sport, and competed for a state title, like every other ky high school sport, then KHSAA would recognize it more, and it would sooner or later be considered a 'sport' in Kentucky

They do more than just cheer one football game a week. They start with tryouts in April or May. Then they begin conditioning and practices till dead period. They go to camps and practice all summer long. Then they cheer football games, boys bball games, and girls bball games. Plus they compete in district and regional KAPOS. If they win they move on to STate Kapos. That is the state title that like every other sport that takes place for the State of Kentucky. Their season last longer than any other sport at the high schools.
It may not be considered a sport to KHSAA, but they need to reconsider. This is a very demanding sport who work and competes year round.
im talking about a statewide state title. it can not be considered a sport until every single school with cheerleading does something to show its a sport. learning sideline cheers is not that hard, trust me, i have a daughter and just from hearing her practice for a week i know them all, and if thats what you guys consider a sport? im not so sure about that. i do believe that if EVERY SINGLE high school with cheerleading participated in your KAPOS tournament or whatever, then we would have a legitament sport. because if its only just a couple schools competing, then how can they call themselves state champions when not every team participated.
I agree. EVERY school should have to compete. But that would run into more money. You'd have to pay for the music, a choreographer if you choose it, and it gets costly.
then spend less money buying paint and candy and start taking up for yourselves and save the money for the music and choreographer
Really the only major cheerleading school in eastern kentucky is Pikeville IMO. They go all out for those girls
i know st henry high school has a very good cheerleading program but i don't really know much of this topic just that i think there should be a state tournament with EVERY school in it to be considered a sport
Hey twins, it is hard for most schools to do what you say without any financial or moral support from their administration. Most schools do not pay the cheerleading coaches very much nor do they try to find good coaches for the cheerleading program. The schools that have coaches that do treat it like a sport have really strong programs and their cheerleaders are just as much athletes as any other team. Look at Greenup, Dunbar, Pikeville, North Laurel, Madison Central, Bowling Green, Madisonville, Graves County, Reidland etc. They work hard at what they do and they compete on a national level. Wrestling is always considered a sport, but I know of very few schools that actually have a program. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered a sport. Most schools just don't have the money to do another program like wrestling, and the same applies to competition cheerleading. Most schools don't have a coach that is willing to put in that much time to have a competitive team when the pay is so low as well as the financial support from the administration. The school's that do have been blessed to have an adult that is willing to give their time. Competition cheerleading is a sport but will never be able to be supported at a majority of schools.
Great post westky1124! Thank you!
The gymnastics part is what makes cheerleading a sport. Anybody can stand and cheer but not everyone can do the difficult gymnastics that most of the good squads do.
twinsbaseball20 Wrote:im talking about a statewide state title. it can not be considered a sport until every single school with cheerleading does something to show its a sport. learning sideline cheers is not that hard, trust me, i have a daughter and just from hearing her practice for a week i know them all, and if thats what you guys consider a sport? im not so sure about that. i do believe that if EVERY SINGLE high school with cheerleading participated in your KAPOS tournament or whatever, then we would have a legitament sport. because if its only just a couple schools competing, then how can they call themselves state champions when not every team participated.

I completely understand what you are saying BUT there is much more to cheerleading than learning a "sideline" cheer. You have team stunts, partner stunts, gymnastics and tumbling, floor cheers, line dances which go with music the band plays, competitions, camps, games (both basketball and football), and still there is more! Cheerleading is looked at by many as the "pretty" thing for girls to do when they can't play basketball, softball, or volleyball. I know several girls who play all 3 AND cheer. Scholarships can be obtained thru cheerleading and good grades. By participation in cheerleading there are many young men and women who have obtained a wonderful college education. As to the KHSAA looking at it as a sport, IMHO they need to visit the KAPOS website and take a look at just how many teams within the state DO participate in competition. You have the district and regional levels WHICH the winner advances to the state. There are also national competitions in which teams from around the U.S. compete against each other. So, my point being, do I think cheerleading should be considered a sport... YES! Do I think KHSAA will consider it a sport in the near future.... It would really suprise me. Those young men and women work very hard to obtain the amount of success that they do and granted, not all teams put as much into cheerleading as others do. This comes in with the previous post about the amount of support you get from the administration and community. I'm all for cheerleading being considered a sport and feel that it should have been done so a LONG time ago!!!

www.kapos.org
Lists of schools who participate in competitons
phs1986 Wrote:I completely understand what you are saying BUT there is much more to cheerleading than learning a "sideline" cheer. You have team stunts, partner stunts, gymnastics and tumbling, floor cheers, line dances which go with music the band plays, competitions, camps, games (both basketball and football), and still there is more! Cheerleading is looked at by many as the "pretty" thing for girls to do when they can't play basketball, softball, or volleyball. I know several girls who play all 3 AND cheer. Scholarships can be obtained thru cheerleading and good grades. By participation in cheerleading there are many young men and women who have obtained a wonderful college education. As to the KHSAA looking at it as a sport, IMHO they need to visit the KAPOS website and take a look at just how many teams within the state DO participate in competition. You have the district and regional levels WHICH the winner advances to the state. There are also national competitions in which teams from around the U.S. compete against each other. So, my point being, do I think cheerleading should be considered a sport... YES! Do I think KHSAA will consider it a sport in the near future.... It would really suprise me. Those young men and women work very hard to obtain the amount of success that they do and granted, not all teams put as much into cheerleading as others do. This comes in with the previous post about the amount of support you get from the administration and community. I'm all for cheerleading being considered a sport and feel that it should have been done so a LONG time ago!!!

www.kapos.org
Lists of schools who participate in competitons

Very will stated. There are very few people who have a clue just how hard these ATHLETES really work. KUDOS!
In my book it is!
Devilman_2010 Wrote:cheerleading is not a sport they are just a bunch of girls in short uniforms
Tell that to the girls in Greenup who practice more than any other sport at the school.
Cheerleading is absolutly not a sport.

I believe that GYMNASTICS is a sport and it takes alot of practice... as does dancing, but for a bunch of girls to go shake their pom poms on the side lines and not break a sweat (while the guys/girls on the field/court are workin their butts off,) is not a sport.
At Campbell County and Brossart, it is considered a sport
Well, anyone who thinks cheerleaders "dont' break a sweat" evidently haven't watched a good practice LET alone a good game. I cheered for 8 years and I busted my butt to be the best I could be and believe me, I definatly needed a shower after both of the above mentioned.
Bluebasketball30 Wrote:Cheerleading is absolutly not a sport.

I believe that GYMNASTICS is a sport and it takes alot of practice... as does dancing, but for a bunch of girls to go shake their pom poms on the side lines and not break a sweat (while the guys/girls on the field/court are workin their butts off,) is not a sport.

You obviously have never been to practices or to cheer camp with those squads that want to be the best they can be. These girls do work extremely hard and YES they do raise a sweat when they practice and cheer games. PHS 1986 has it right, they work extremely hard all year round. Their season does not end like that of all other sports in high schools.
At our school I dont think its defined as a sport, but its treated the same as all other sports. None of the sports get any money from the school what so ever. I work with football and wrestling primarily and we let the cheerleaders help work concessions at games, help out at our car washes and stuff. The whole school kinda passes things around so that its as equal as can be. It works well for us.

Now I will admit our cheerleaders dont do to much. They cheer and stuff, but not alot of tumbling or pyramids or stuff like that. Frankley the school has a hard time getting cheerleaders, this year they only had 11 try out for 3 teams of cheerleading. (FYI this is middle School)
If you have ever watched these girls practice for a competition, you will realize it's not just what they do on the sidelines at the games. Pikeville has won Nationals before and ESPN covers it. It is called the world wide leader of sports. Why would they cover it, if they didn't think it's a sport? They have to put together a routine similar to what the UK cheerleaders do, just not to that extreme, because they don't have the guys for the strength routines. The junior high girls have won Nationals also. So yes, it is a sport, I'd rather play basketball, than be thrown sky high in the air and trust someone is going to catch my sorry butt.
mrsportsfan Wrote:If you have ever watched these girls practice for a competition, you will realize it's not just what they do on the sidelines at the games. Pikeville has won Nationals before and ESPN covers it. It is called the world wide leader of sports. Why would they cover it, if they didn't think it's a sport? They have to put together a routine similar to what the UK cheerleaders do, just not to that extreme, because they don't have the guys for the strength routines. The junior high girls have won Nationals also. So yes, it is a sport, I'd rather play basketball, than be thrown sky high in the air and trust someone is going to catch my sorry butt.

You are 100% correct! Although Pikeville does not have male cheerleaders, many squads do in which they are referred to as co-ed squads. The talent amount on some of these squads is utterly amazing!

There are stunts that the squad that I was on and used to do are now illegal. Spotters were used BUT not required. We would go 3 high in pyramids, throw toe pitches, roll-outs from a 3 high, all of which are now not allowed. Many things have changed over the years with cheerleading. Some will NEVER agree that it is a sport but who can honestly judge until they have went to a good 6 hour practice, learned many, many routines, cheers and sidelines, prepared for a national or for that matter district/regional competition, went home with bruises from either holding or climbing non-stop for 2 hours and only to have all that start over again when you find a flaw or something "just isn't right" with the routine? These young ladies and young men (when applicable) work their tails off! My advice to all cheerleaders who is reading this thread.....keep up the hard work, continue what your doing and do it with a vengence just to show the non-believers that cheerleaders are every bit a part of "sports" as basketball, baseball, soccer, or any other that is sanctioned under KHSAA regulations!
If you have ever seen the UK cheerleaders at a UK basketball game preform, they are quite amazing to watch. They haven't been National Champions for like 18 years in a row minus one I think they came in 2nd or 3rd. Watching them at a game is nothing compared to watching their routine they put on at Midnight Madness the year I went. They usually go to Nationals around January so they are way into their routines by that time that they can give the audience a taste of what they show at competition. It is no wonder they win. The precision and timing, trust with your teammate and difficulty of the routine is amazing. Believe me, these people have spent just as many years at their sport, as football and basketball or anyone else.
Sport 100%
Cheerleading Should Be Considered A Sport. Two Years Ago When I Was A Freshmen I Was On The Regional Kapos Championship Team. The Work That It Takes To Make Everything Perfect Is Very Difficult. Football Is No Where Near As Hard As What It Takes To Make A Great Cheer Team. Everything Has To Hit Perfect And You Have To Trust In Everyone On Your Team.
they are athletes theres no question, but if ur a real athlete wanting to be take seriously play volleyball, softball, or the best sport ever created....BASKETBALL!!!
our girls pretty much have to raise money or just pay for stuff themselves
Greenup county is probally the best program in the nation.
If golf is a sport, I guess cheerleading can be also.
Do I think cheerleaders work hard?...yes.....Do I think it's a sport? ....No. It is becoming like a sport where you have 10 to 20% of the girls on the squad because of the politics involved. Girls and mothers of girls trying to get an edge in any way possible. Now they even start as early as kindergarden (or close to it) getting them primed for high school. If your a MALE cheerleader? Good luck in finding a school. Only a handful will take ya. Most have an all girl squad and adding a male would throw them in a different division in which they might not as well in. Now let the ruffled feathers commence.
at Breathitt my senior no one really showed us any attention until after state. before we were just girls on the sidelines cheering.
Pages: 1 2 3