Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Coach G doesn't make any adjustments.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes, our talent level is down, yes Miss St was hot, but we should not be this bad. This coaching staff does not put our team in the best position to win. No adjustments. Every coach knows how to beat us, our one trick pony defense is too easy to prepare for. Everyone simply spreads the floor and lets their guards dribble drive for a wide open jump shot/layup and/or a kick out for a wide open three. Gillispie doesn't make any adjustments. At this level you got to mix it up.

At least some zone will take away or slow down one aspect of our opponents scoring(the dribble drive). We could at least get a hand it someones face or be in the vacinity when they shoot the threes. What would it hurt to try something different? Obviously the 100 percent man to man isn't getting it done.

The only way I could see Gillispie being successful here is if can recruit a whole stable of 5 star talent. He obviously isn't going to make any adjustments to compensate for our lesser skilled players, so we will continue to lose games.

I love this team and will support them no matter what, but I do have concerns about this coaching staff. Coach G is still an unproven coach. Many coaches around the nation are doing more with less.
torQQue Wrote:Yes, our talent level is down, yes Miss St was hot, but we should not be this bad. This coaching staff does not put our team in the best position to win. No adjustments. Every coach knows how to beat us, our one trick pony defense is too easy to prepare for. Everyone simply spreads the floor and lets their guards dribble drive for a wide open jump shot/layup and/or a kick out for a wide open three. Gillispie doesn't make any adjustments. At this level you got to mix it up.

At least some zone will take away or slow down one aspect of our opponents scoring(the dribble drive). We could at least get a hand it someones face or be in the vacinity when they shoot the threes. What would it hurt to try something different? Obviously the 100 percent man to man isn't getting it done.

The only way I could see Gillispie being successful here is if can recruit a whole stable of 5 star talent. He obviously isn't going to make any adjustments to compensate for our lesser skilled players, so we will continue to lose games.

I love this team and will support them no matter what, but I do have concerns about this coaching staff. Coach G is still an unproven coach. Many coaches around the nation are doing more with less.

Exactly. Finally someone agrees with me. He relies on all star players (Acie Law) to make him look good. He is a NBA style coach. I think we should have adjusted to a 3-2 zone tonight. Would have took away penetration, and put guys out on the perimeter.
This is truly laughable.
Stardust Wrote:This is truly laughable.

Then how do teams with less talent then Kentucky, have better records right now? Tell me that, since you say its a talent issue.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Then how do teams with less talent then Kentucky, have better records right now? Tell me that, since you say its a talent issue.

Hmmm, I could say the same thing about other top 25 institutions:

Georgetown 12-8
Michigan 13-8
Notre Dame 11-8
NC State 11-8
Stanford 13-6
Maryland 14-7
Arizona 14-8
UAB 14-8
Georgia 9-12
Indiana 4-15
Stardust Wrote:Hmmm, I could say the same thing about other top 25 institutions:

Georgetown 12-8
Michigan 13-8
Notre Dame 11-8
NC State 11-8
Stanford 13-6
Maryland 14-7
Arizona 14-8
UAB 14-8
Georgia 9-12
Indiana 4-15

Georgetown is in a tougher conference, Michigan aint nobody, they got lucky and beat Duke once. Notre Dame is overrated. NC State is in the tough ACC, as is Maryland. The rest of those teams just plain suck, worse than us. Maybe one or 2 of those teams are more talented than us. So whats your point?
mrfootball03 Wrote:Georgetown is in a tougher conference, Michigan aint nobody, they got lucky and beat Duke once. Notre Dame is overrated. NC State is in the tough ACC, as is Maryland. The rest of those teams just plain suck, worse than us.

LOL
Stardust Wrote:LOL
Well tell then.. who is so talented there?

No one you listed is in the top 25.. GTown is prolly the only more talented team. Notre Dame is about the same, depending on one player.
Stardust Wrote:This is truly laughable.

It's been my to pleasure entertain you. Big Grin Now, since you seem to have a different opinion, you tell me what exactly is so great about Coach G? It surely isn't his schemes and adjustments is it? Maybe it's he overall record at UK that impresses you? Maybe it's his arrogance and stubbornness? Maybe it's strange substitution patterns? Maybe it's because he forgets to substitute players(he admitted this)? Maybe it's his bad recruiting decisions? Maybe its his final fours and national titles(oh wait he doesn't have any)? Maybe its the way he handles himself in interviews? Maybe it's the constant head games with his players? Maybe you enjoy losing to the Gardner Webbs, San Diegos, and VMI's of the world (can't use the talent excuse here, no way those schools are more talented than us).

The man is/was unproven coach, and Kentucky in my opinion deserves better. Proven coaches have final fours..

Why is so many people so defensive of this man. He is not bigger than the University of Kentucky Basketball program, but many act like he is. I surely don't feel sorry for him and his ridiculous salary. Why do you?
Well its like this Mr. TorQQue..... You are going down Sunday Yella Belly.....haha

Ok back to the Topic....
torQQue Wrote:It's been my to pleasure entertain you. Big Grin Now, since you seem to have a different opinion, you tell me what exactly is so great about Coach G? It surely isn't his schemes and adjustments is it? Maybe it's he overall record at UK that impresses you? Maybe it's his arrogance and stubbornness? Maybe it's strange substitution patterns? Maybe it's because he forgets to substitute players(he admitted this)? Maybe it's his bad recruiting decisions? Maybe its his final fours and national titles(oh wait he doesn't have any)? Maybe its the way he handles himself in interviews? Maybe it's the constant head games with his players? Maybe you enjoy losing to the Gardner Webbs, San Diegos, and VMI's of the world (can't use the talent excuse here, no way those schools are more talented than us).

The man is/was unproven coach, and Kentucky in my opinion deserves better. Proven coaches have final fours..

Why is so many people so defensive of this man. He is not bigger than the University of Kentucky Basketball program, but many act like he is. I surely don't feel sorry for him and his ridiculous salary. Why do you?

I was getting ready to post pretty much the same thing. I said this kind of stuff when he got started here and I got laughed out of each thread.

To hear something really troubling listen to the post game presser and how dejected Billy G. is

Really, He doesn't make adjustments.... I have been a big Supporter of Coach G from day one, but this gets old. Miss St. shouldn't come to Rupp and beat us by 15+... This is UK and being mediocre is getting old... We are getting beat by the teams we used to beat by 20+.... Just when you think we are getting better, they fall apart... Him not shaking hands with Coach horn was BS also last weekend...
Per KentuckySportsRadio

The big story coming out of the game is the TCP report that Patrick Patterson stated after the game that the locker room was a “verbal free-for-all” following the contest. According to the TCP report, Patterson said that all the players let each other have it after the game and the coaches stood by and allowed all grievances to be aired out. There is no word on what was said, but it is clear that the frustration that was felt by the fans was also felt by the players as well. I am also told that there was a similar incident that occurred earlier in the day at practice, with some verbal airing of feelings by a few members of the team prior to the game. It is thus clear that tensions are high around the program and the future is a bit unclear. This could be the moment when things reunite and turn for the better, or it could disintegrate and go the other way. With a seven day wait, we have a long time to see for certain
alfus21 Wrote:Per KentuckySportsRadio

The big story coming out of the game is the TCP report that Patrick Patterson stated after the game that the locker room was a “verbal free-for-all” following the contest. According to the TCP report, Patterson said that all the players let each other have it after the game and the coaches stood by and allowed all grievances to be aired out. There is no word on what was said, but it is clear that the frustration that was felt by the fans was also felt by the players as well. I am also told that there was a similar incident that occurred earlier in the day at practice, with some verbal airing of feelings by a few members of the team prior to the game. It is thus clear that tensions are high around the program and the future is a bit unclear. This could be the moment when things reunite and turn for the better, or it could disintegrate and go the other way. With a seven day wait, we have a long time to see for certain

Thanks for sharing. I honestly don't want to see the man fail because he is part of the team I love and I want my team (UK) to succeed. I hope the players rally together and we finish strong. However, I don't think Coach Gillispie is the right man for the job.

I mean there is too many on and off the court issues to worry about with Gillispie. First, it was a conflict with Legion, then with Liggins, now the entire team. Not to mention all the other stuff like lack of adjustments, stubbornness, substitution patterns, and questionable recruiting, losing to inferior opponents, we have already mentioned.
I truly think that everyone expects to much out of this team and in Coach G's 2nd year. Rome wasnt built in a day we need to give him a chance, I dont agree with everything that he does, but I will not bad mouth this coach cause I was def ready to be rid of Tubby and Im still glad he is gone, He ran us into the ground whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Ill say Tubby was a good x's and o's coach but he was more loyal to his assistant coaches and staff then he was to the fans of Uk and University by not getting a staff that could actually recruit, Look now, he has a completely new staff and is putting together top 25 recruiting classes in Minnesota but barely did it twice at UK.

QQ what is so bad about his recruiting? I mean I actually feel that we are starting to get some talented players to commit to UK and at least we are in the Hunt to get some of the 4 and 5 star recruits, Tubby had 1 or 2 good recruiting classes in the 10 year he was here,

I also dont what game anyone else watched but most of the 3's were several feet behind the line with a hand in their face and they just made it and it wasnt just 1 player either . Miss st was just red hot like it or not. I will tell you one thing Billy G's teams dont quit though.
Billnz28 Wrote:I truly think that everyone expects to much out of this team and in Coach G's 2nd year. Rome wasnt built in a day we need to give him a chance, I dont agree with everything that he does, but I will not bad mouth this coach cause I was def ready to be rid of Tubby and Im still glad he is gone, He ran us into the ground whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Ill say Tubby was a good x's and o's coach but he was more loyal to his assistant coaches and staff then he was to the fans of Uk and University by not getting a staff that could actually recruit, Look now, he has a completely new staff and is putting together top 25 recruiting classes in Minnesota but barely did it twice at UK.

QQ what is so bad about his recruiting? I mean I actually feel that we are starting to get some talented players to commit to UK and at least we are in the Hunt to get some of the 4 and 5 star recruits, Tubby had 1 or 2 good recruiting classes in the 10 year he was here,

I also dont what game anyone else watched but most of the 3's were several feet behind the line with a hand in their face and they just made it and it wasnt just 1 player either . Miss st was just red hot like it or not. I will tell you one thing Billy G's teams dont quit though.

But there are coaches doing more with less time. South Carolina's coach is in his first year and doing better than Kentucky. And its not like he is trying anything different. Its the same story everynight. We get spread out, they hit some 3's & layups, we make mistakes, they win. It would be different if we were trying different things. For goodness sakes, have we even ran a full court press this year?
mrfootball03 Wrote:But there are coaches doing more with less time. South Carolina's coach is in his first year and doing better than Kentucky. And its not like he is trying anything different. Its the same story everynight. We get spread out, they hit some 3's & layups, we make mistakes, they win. It would be different if we were trying different things. For goodness sakes, have we even ran a full court press this year?

We are Kentucky and we are gonna get peoples best no matter how you look at it. and Miss st hit about 13 or 14 threes quit a few if you ask me, other than Patterson and Meeks, Id like to know about all this talent that we have? I think we have some good freshman's and will be good later and alot of roll players. We do have some really good recruits in the next few years,

Id also like to know just who is qualified to coach at UK. and please dont say Ford or Pelphrey cause they are not more qualified then Coach G is. Not gonna get Billy D or Roy williams or anyone of that level of coach, they are where they want to be
Billnz28 Wrote:We are Kentucky and we are gonna get peoples best no matter how you look at it. and Miss st hit about 13 or 14 threes quit a few if you ask me, other than Patterson and Meeks, Id like to know about all this talent that we have? I think we have some good freshman's and will be good later and alot of roll players. We do have some really good recruits in the next few years,

Id also like to know just who is qualified to coach at UK. and please dont say Ford or Pelphrey cause they are not more qualified then Coach G is. Not gonna get Billy D or Roy williams or anyone of that level of coach, they are where they want to be

Tom Crean was a proven coach, with a better resume than Gillispie. Rick Barnes my personal choice also had a better resume. Not to mention, Mark Few. Bobby Knight anyone?
Billnz28 Wrote:I truly think that everyone expects to much out of this team and in Coach G's 2nd year. Rome wasnt built in a day we need to give him a chance, I dont agree with everything that he does, but I will not bad mouth this coach cause I was def ready to be rid of Tubby and Im still glad he is gone, He ran us into the ground whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Ill say Tubby was a good x's and o's coach but he was more loyal to his assistant coaches and staff then he was to the fans of Uk and University by not getting a staff that could actually recruit, Look now, he has a completely new staff and is putting together top 25 recruiting classes in Minnesota but barely did it twice at UK.

Yes, I agree Miss st was red hot, but coach still failed to try anything other than man to man. Obviously the man to man wasn't working. And the defense wasn't the only lack of adjustments, no movement, very few set plays, hardly no screening on offense.

He could have tried a box and 1, 2-3 or 3-2, 1-3-1 zones, maybe some traps here and there. The point I was trying to make is he just allows the opposing team to get in a comfort zone because they know what our defense is going to be set in, everytime down the floor. He makes it too easy for coaches to prepare gameplans for us. They always know ahead of time the looks they will see the entire game.

Sometimes you gotta mix things up and give the opposing teams different looks to disrupt them and their timing. Coach G is so stuck in his ways that he refuses to adjust to try and slow down a team. When a team is scorching the defense you are in, try something different. What can it hurt?

I honestly believe a zone defense would have helped us tremendously against Ole Miss and South Carolina. Their teams would spread the floor and their guards would dribble drive our guards all game. That either resulted in a uncontested jumpshot or layup, or kickout for a wide open 3. My whole problem with Coach G is his unwillingness to put us in the best position to win. If you don't have the speed to guard someone 1 on 1 then a zone can help compensate for the lack of speed, and you get some underneath help if the guards do get penetration.

IMO, his recruiting has not been that great outside of Patterson. And Patterson was already considering UK before Coach G took over. Miller seems like he will end up as pretty good recruit, however, he was from Ky and that made his recruitment easier.

I don't understand why he even recruited Juco Galloway. The kid takes one shot and he takes him out. Why waste a scholarship on someone you will never play. Same with the Williamson kid, has he ever been in a game? Then you have another Juco in Josh Harrelson that gets to play a little 2 or 3 games then you don't see him off the bench again for another 5 or 6 games. Then you had Legion, and now Liggins and all their issues.

He doesn't heavily pursue much needed guards and scorers like Rotnei Clarke and Fortson(Arkansas). He completley passed on Steffphon Pettigrew a guard/forward that is averaging around 12 a game for WVU. We are also in desperate need of a big time point guard, and I think he signed Vilarino(sp) a 2 or 3 star point guard from texas.. He may turn out good, but he may not, and that seems like a risk considering how bad we need a true point guard.

He did land a 5 star in Orton for next year, and 4 star Jon Hood from kentucky for next year. I don't know much about him, hopefully he is a pure shooter though. Orton will probably replace Patterson next year when Patterson leaves. However, we will still lack shooters to free up the post guys, and take some heat off Meeks next year. That is if Meeks stays. If he doesn't we could be in for a long year next year.

You know, I understand that our overall talent is lacking by Kentucky standards and I undestand Rome wasn't built in day. It will take us awhile to get back to being a final four caliber team. However, have we really fallen that far talent wise were teams like Gardner Webb, VMI, and San Diego are able to come into Rupp and take us to the cleaners? I mean we have two potential all Americans. There is no excuse for Billy G not having his teams prepared, these teams are inferior in everyway to Kentucky. Well I should say they used to be.

I know some people have opinions and feelings towards Coach G that is much different than mine. And I hope coach proves us all, and the negativity publicity he is receiving wrong. And as of now, I think he is all too deserving of the negative publicity he is getting. I don't think any resonable person is/was expecting him to win a NCAA championship in his first few years here, at least I wasn't. I expect him to put our team in the position to win and to properly prepare out team, which I believe he doesn't do. I think losing to all these inferior opponents proves to me he isn't getting it done.
I agree with the fact that Gillispie is a very stubborn coach, but he has done some impressive things with only two players worth bragging about. All the other players are either very young and have yet to develop into the players everyone expects them to be or players that have little talent and players coaches before Smith would have never recruited.

Kentucky is not a top 25 team, they'll more than likely make the NCAA tournament and will more than likely be knocked out early in the 1st or 2nd round. Fact of the matter is, Gillispie is a recruiter and a young coach, who has only coached D-1 basketball for 6 seasons, so he is still learning.

Like someone said above, we are Kentucky. We are going to get everyone's best game, especially at Rupp. So I'm not going to blow this SEC loss out of proportion because in time UK will be atop the conference once again when Gillispie gets his players in here.

Most of you guys are still spoiled fans that think UK should perform like the '96, '97, and '98 teams did. Well guess what, those where 3 of the best teams to ever take the floor in NCAA basketball history. Not one team since '98 has been as good as those teams where.

So lets all be patient and let Billy Gillispie recruit and get Kentucky back atop the NCAA with UNC, Duke, UCONN, and UCLA.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I agree with the fact that Gillispie is a very stubborn coach, but he has done some impressive things with only two players worth bragging about. All the other players are either very young and have yet to develop into the players everyone expects them to be or players that have little talent and players coaches before Smith would have never recruited.

Kentucky is not a top 25 team, they'll more than likely make the NCAA tournament and will more than likely be knocked out early in the 1st or 2nd round. Fact of the matter is, Gillispie is a recruiter and a young coach, who has only coached D-1 basketball for 6 seasons, so he is still learning.

Like someone said above, we are Kentucky. We are going to get everyone's best game, especially at Rupp. So I'm not going to blow this SEC loss out of proportion because in time UK will be atop the conference once again when Gillispie gets his players in here.

Most of you guys are still spoiled fans that think UK should perform like the '96, '97, and '98 teams did. Well guess what, those where 3 of the best teams to ever take the floor in NCAA basketball history. Not one team since '98 has been as good as those teams where.

So lets all be patient and let Billy Gillispie recruit and get Kentucky back atop the NCAA with UNC, Duke, UCONN, and UCLA.

You make a lot of great points and I agree with you for the most part that Gillispie is the man for the job as of right now.

Although, I do agree with TorQQue about switching up the defense though and the spreading of the minutes between players.

Those two things really bother me as a die-hard Kentucky fan and I wish I had answers.