Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: One bright spot---I got to watch Slone!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At least I got to watch Slone see a little action tonight---I know he is not as athletic but the kid has heart. Relieved to see the coach remembered he existed.
i wouldn't call it a bright spot because his defense was a little suspect tonight but it is nice to see him get a minute or two here and there.
wish players like liggens and miller would take note to his intensity while he's in the game maybe that would help them tremendously
It was nice to see Slone play, but it was sure evident that he was way overmatched. He could not get off a 3-pointer with a defender 10' away from the time that he caught the pass, and he could not keep up with any offensive player from MSU. Great heart, just not blessed with D-1 athleticism.
good player just dont play enough he done better than porter did
Slone did good tonight I thought, this stuff about him getting blocked is rediculous...I think if anyone watched the game, everyone that got in for UK got their lunch ate....Liggins got beat off the dribble as did everyone on defense. He may not be able to jump out the gym, but his passion and desire is second to none. He might be the only person on that team that knows what it's like to have the name Kentucky wrote across his chest.
Players that are slower but can shoot need to be on the floor especially when they are daring anyone to shoot from outside except Meeks. Coach G could have compensated for Sloan's lack of speed by going to a zone while he was in.

His shooting was needed, but Sloan, nor any other Kentucky player can contain quick guards one on one. We could of have benefited some the last two games running some zone. At least we would have some help defense off the dribble drive instead of the opposing team spreading us out and taking the ball to the hoop one on one, and/or driving and kicking it out for an uncontested three. But as you know, Billy doesn't believe in zone.
I just don't think he can play at this level. He does play hard but heart only takes you so far when you are the least athletic kid on the floor every single game. I doubt he will stay at UK much longer.
Why would he leave? Did you hear the standing ovation? People love him and he's living the dream of every Kentucky boy.
I am sure he is frustrated with BCG's confusing coaching style, but i think everyone is. I don't think he will leave because that kid loves UK basketball too much.
IRISH4 Wrote:Why would he leave? Did you hear the standing ovation? People love him and he's living the dream of every Kentucky boy.
What's that? Getting to play once in every blue moon and get out played every time he touches the floor?
BballFan25 Wrote:I am sure he is frustrated with BCG's confusing coaching style, but i think everyone is. I don't think he will leave because that kid loves UK basketball too much.

I agree. The kid would probably thrive under a good coach and coaching system.
Wildcat Blue Wrote:What's that? Getting to play once in every blue moon and get out played every time he touches the floor?

Give me a break...no one plays harder than him. Yes he might not be as athletic, but he gives it everything he has on both ends of the court and when he's in the team plays better. He's a smart kid with a great basketball IQ, which is something you can't say about 3/4 of the dang team. I thought that UK was going to redshirt him, but with a year in the offseason conditioning program he will be fine.
IRISH4 Wrote:Give me a break...no one plays harder than him. Yes he might not be as athletic, but he gives it everything he has on both ends of the court and when he's in the team plays better. He's a smart kid with a great basketball IQ, which is something you can't say about 3/4 of the dang team. I thought that UK was going to redshirt him, but with a year in the offseason conditioning program he will be fine.
I agree that he does play hard and does have a great knowledge of the game. That is very apparent for anyone to see, but when you aren't very talented and atheltic do you know what that makes you? A NAIA player. I'm not even trying to be negative towards him because he is a good kid. I'm just getting frustrated that I have to watch a fiasco everytime the Cats play. I just wish the Cats would get it together.
Wildcat Blue Wrote:I agree that he does play hard and does have a great knowledge of the game. That is very apparent for anyone to see, but when you aren't very talented and atheltic do you know what that makes you? A NAIA player. I'm not even trying to be negative towards him because he is a good kid. I'm just getting frustrated that I have to watch a fiasco everytime the Cats play. I just wish the Cats would get it together.

The "fiasco" you are talking about has nothing to do with Landon. It is because the coach has no idea what he is doing, Liggins and Porter and Harris are HORRIBLE, Meeks wants to shoot everything, and Patterson doesn't get enough touches. They succeeded last year because everything ran through Pat Patterson, and apparently no one has noticed that.
Wildcat Blue Wrote:I agree that he does play hard and does have a great knowledge of the game. That is very apparent for anyone to see, but when you aren't very talented and atheltic do you know what that makes you? A NAIA player. I'm not even trying to be negative towards him because he is a good kid. I'm just getting frustrated that I have to watch a fiasco everytime the Cats play. I just wish the Cats would get it together.

What does UK playing bad have anything to do with Landon? He does a very good job when he is out there, just as good as anyone else, plus he plays hard which the others do NOT
Landon Slone plays harder than any Uk player on that team. And that's why he got a standing ovation. He might not be the best player on the team. But, he understands what it means to play for Kentucky. And that right there is why he plays his heart out whenever Billy G puts him in.

Not very talented? The kid averaged over 26pts/game his entire high school career, first team all-state player, and schooled Scotty Hopson for 29 in the All A State tourney, I don't think that has anything to do with it. It's amazing at what strength and conditioning programs to do to any player and I'm sure it will do the same for him and hopefully the rest of this bunch.

NAIA is a good league to be in, it's full of Div. 1 drop-outs and kids that got in trouble at bigger school. I feel your frustration since I am a big Wildcat supporter, and I honestly think as long as there is friction between the coach and players and we have head-cases on our sideline we will continue to struggle. If you notice a bunch of the kids pout when they are taken out, they just need to suck it up and realize that he is your coach, you should respect him and give it your all. IDK what is going on in kids minds these days.
runninrebs21 Wrote:The "fiasco" you are talking about has nothing to do with Landon. It is because the coach has no idea what he is doing, Liggins and Porter and Harris are HORRIBLE, Meeks wants to shoot everything, and Patterson doesn't get enough touches. They succeeded last year because everything ran through Pat Patterson, and apparently no one has noticed that.
Wow I am so glad you can pick apart a paragraph and logically interpret the meaning. My first little spill was about Slone and then I purposely went on to explain that I am not trying to be negative towards him. I am just getting frustrated with UK in general because they are a joke as of late. But thank you for evaluating my post, I bet you tore the ACT up with your reading evaluation skills. :ChairHit:
Tar Heel 3 Wrote:What does UK playing bad have anything to do with Landon? He does a very good job when he is out there, just as good as anyone else, plus he plays hard which the others do NOT

He does good, or he plays hard?

He does play hard, but I would not say very good.

I had all but one gift that kept me from being a professional athlete, Talent!
torQQue Wrote:Players that are slower but can shoot need to be on the floor especially when they are daring anyone to shoot from outside except Meeks. Coach G could have compensated for Sloan's lack of speed by going to a zone while he was in.

His shooting was needed, but Sloan, nor any other Kentucky player can contain quick guards one on one. We could of have benefited some the last two games running some zone. At least we would have some help defense off the dribble drive instead of the opposing team spreading us out and taking the ball to the hoop one on one, and/or driving and kicking it out for an uncontested three. But as you know, Billy doesn't believe in zone.

Zone? lol Whats that? Coach G said we've got the best defense in the SEC. lmao Too bad it aint doing **** for us.
IRISH4 Wrote:Not very talented? The kid averaged over 26pts/game his entire high school career, first team all-state player, and schooled Scotty Hopson for 29 in the All A State tourney, I don't think that has anything to do with it. It's amazing at what strength and conditioning programs to do to any player and I'm sure it will do the same for him and hopefully the rest of this bunch.

NAIA is a good league to be in, it's full of Div. 1 drop-outs and kids that got in trouble at bigger school. I feel your frustration since I am a big Wildcat supporter, and I honestly think as long as there is friction between the coach and players and we have head-cases on our sideline we will continue to struggle. If you notice a bunch of the kids pout when they are taken out, they just need to suck it up and realize that he is your coach, you should respect him and give it your all. IDK what is going on in kids minds these days.
NAIA basketball especially in the Mid South is one tough brand of basketball. They are much on the same level as some of Kentucky's early non conference scheduled teams.

I think that what makes Slone a fan favorite is that he does take pride in what it means to wear a Kentucky jersey. He's kind of a throwback to the type of player that made Kentucky basketball what it used to be, and most die hard fans appreciate that. The thing is the type of game that he plays is something that does not fit in with the way that Gillispie and all of the other top D1 programs try to play. You would have to have about 4 or 5 Landon Slone type players all on the floor at the same time, and would have to play basicly a zone type defense with a slowdown approach on offense. For the most part fans dont want to see that type of game anymore. Call it the age of "Rivals 5 Star".

Also not meaning to be contradictory, but while Slone did put up big numbers against University Heights, I think in that game that it was Grimm that Hopson guarded.
Syracuse plays zone. They do all right. Coaching is putting your players in a position to win. Coaches shoulf adjust to the talent they have and not try to adjust the players to 1 coaching style. The word is ADJUST. UK doesnt adjust well at all.
Statmaster Wrote:Syracuse plays zone. They do all right. Coaching is putting your players in a position to win. Coaches shoulf adjust to the talent they have and not try to adjust the players to 1 coaching style. The word is ADJUST. UK doesnt adjust well at all.
The Syracuse part is true, but prior to this year Syracuse teams have not fared much better than what recent UK teams have fared. If Boeheim had been the UK coach, you would have heard the same rumblings about getting rid of him. With the record that Syracuse teams have had, fans would be saying that he could not recruit athletic talent and are sick and tired of watching a 2/3 zone night in and night out.
Some of you can say what you want about Landon. I noticed once again lastnight that when he was in the game, everybody else played better. He may not have scored any points, he might have got beat off the dribble a time or two (they ALL did), but his hard play and hustle gave his other 4 teammates on the floor a "spark" that cut the lead to 4 points. What happened when Billy G took Landon out? As for the post about him not being able to get a shot off when the defender was 10 ft. away from him, get real. Five ft away maybe, and not to mention he was 6'6" with the wing span of a 747. They played Landon tight the whole time he was in there. I didn't see MSU giving Landon the open looks they were giving Porter and Miller, there was a reason for that.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:NAIA basketball especially in the Mid South is one tough brand of basketball. They are much on the same level as some of Kentucky's early non conference scheduled teams.

I think that what makes Slone a fan favorite is that he does take pride in what it means to wear a Kentucky jersey. He's kind of a throwback to the type of player that made Kentucky basketball what it used to be, and most die hard fans appreciate that. The thing is the type of game that he plays is something that does not fit in with the way that Gillispie and all of the other top D1 programs try to play. You would have to have about 4 or 5 Landon Slone type players all on the floor at the same time, and would have to play basicly a zone type defense with a slowdown approach on offense. For the most part fans dont want to see that type of game anymore. Call it the age of "Rivals 5 Star".

Also not meaning to be contradictory, but while Slone did put up big numbers against University Heights, I think in that game that it was Grimm that Hopson guarded.

I was at the Paintsville/UHA game last yr. Slone did put up big numbers against UHA----the game started with Hopson on Slone when Paintsville was on Offense. Slone ate his lunch....Grimm guarded Hopson when UHA was on offense. To be honest Hopson didn't act like he knew what D was....Grim ate his lunch too. McCoy (UHA coach) switched a guard onto Slone about 1/2 way through the 3rd quarter and to me that is what gave UHA the W. Can't remember that guard's name but remember someone in the crowd telling me he was a D1 signee as well.
I could've mentioned his 34 or 35pts. against J-town in the state tourney last year that Mark Story(I'm pretty sure that's who it was from the Herald-Leader) called the best offensive game in recent years at the Sweet 16 or mentioning him along with four other guys (including Miller and Hopson) that would be his dream team of players. I think a lot of the scrutiny he gets is because he wasn't a Rivals 5* player as Kimball said...those stars don't mean anything, it's college ball and right now we are getting beat by a bunch of guys that was never on UKs recruiting radars because they lacked in the "star power" category.