Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: It's soooo hard to be a UK fan!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm nearly positive I'm the biggest UK fan in the world, and these past for years have been so trying for me and all of you true blue fans out there. I know some of you are getting discouraged with our cats, and our coach, and I'll admit sitting here watching the CATS play against Miss. State so far it's easy to see why. But I just wanted to tell you guys that we're Kentuckians, and fans of the best basketball program in the history of the NCAA, let's keep our heads up and support our team. Nothing makes me more angry then seeing our fans boo a good group of young men. Some of who passed up a chance to play on a hotter team or go pro (Patrick) instead they decided to come to a historied dynasty that has hit a ruff patch, and try to be a part of something bigger than all of us. They want to right the ship just as much as we do so please lets just keep our heads up and support our CATS!
I think as fans everyone wants to voice their opinion and concern about the team, but I don't think anyone is losing confidence in the team nor is lacking the support for the coaches and the players. UK could be 19-0 and we would find something to complain about.
I see people all the time dogging the cats and saying we suvk now and we'll never get another banner. It's not terrible here, but you definately see multiple cases of people being dicouaged.
Fairweather fans, no need to worry about them
It's so painful to watch! There is something going on, and it certainly is not good. I love UK, it's tough. You know it's got to be frustrating to our players.
They do not have the players, it's that simple. Meeks and Patterson cannot do it alone. The rest of the guys are role players. Cmon, would Stevonson or Harris & Porter start for any other SEC team?
Good point Stardust
Stardust Wrote:They do not have the players, it's that simple. Meeks and Patterson cannot do it alone. The rest of the guys are role players. Cmon, would Stevonson or Harris & Porter start for any other SEC team?

Exactly, Meeks and Patterson have no help whatsoever.

Gillispie confuses me so much with the way he spreads his minutes around with the "role players". I just don't understand it.
sometimes i wonder if they know where there at this is UK not scooby do.
I really thought we would have a chance to be a special team this year and at times we've shown it, but at others it's sad to watch. Next year if Pat stays, we'll have a legit top 5 team. As hard as it is we'll all just have to be patient next year IMO is the key to the future of UK basketball if we can't get the job done Clyde is gone and so are alot of big time recruits. I honestly think Pat will see the job done next though.
Stardust Wrote:They do not have the players, it's that simple. Meeks and Patterson cannot do it alone. The rest of the guys are role players. Cmon, would Stevonson or Harris & Porter start for any other SEC team?
I understand what your saying but by now even those players can learn how to play ball... All we do is consistantly make dumb mental mistakes, Thats what makes watching UK frustrating. Plus Coach G's decisions are questionable at times.

I love UK but everygame makes me mad when I see the stuff we do.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Exactly, Meeks and Patterson have no help whatsoever.

Gillispie confuses me so much with the way he spreads his minutes around with the "role players". I just don't understand it.

IMO, he's fishing. It's like going on a day that nothing is biting. You keep throwing the line in until you finally get a bite. He has nothing but role players to surround Meeks and Patterson. So the minutes that they play has to go to someone, it's just not quality play from those who do get the minutes.
Miller and Liggins will both develop into much more than role players. They're both 4 yr. players, they're simply not fully developed yet.
Lets face it this team is not what we were expected after rollling to five straight SEC wins. Now they have two at home and trail in the conference standings and have to be honest here and it looks bleask at making the NCAA tournament. Porter is a waste and Miller doesn't even look like the same player he was at Mason County last year. Billy Clyde may be able to recruit but his coaching is questionalble at best. At lease there was an Landon Slone sighting tonight but there was no cause to losing to both State and South Carolina back to back and with Florida coming in next week and then they it the road the losing streak will continue. this is almost as bad as when Tubby was here.:lmao:
Down and Out Wrote:Lets face it this team is not what we were expected after rollling to five straight SEC wins. Now they have two at home and trail in the conference standings and have to be honest here and it looks bleask at making the NCAA tournament. Porter is a waste and Miller doesn't even look like the same player he was at Mason County last year. Billy Clyde may be able to recruit but his coaching is questionalble at best. At lease there was an Landon Slone sighting tonight but there was no cause to losing to both State and South Carolina back to back and with Florida coming in next week and then they it the road the losing streak will continue. this is almost as bad as when Tubby was here.:lmao:

My point proven........Nothing worse than fair weather fans. If your a tru blue fan you support the cats no matter what. You my friend are NOT a true UK fan.
IMO Tubby Smith is the reason we are in this shape. He was the one that brought in the "role players" as some have mentioned in this thread. Liggins and Miller, if they dont transfer, are going to be far more than just "role players" in the future. Sure Miller doesnt appear to be the player he was at Mason County last year. There is a big difference in D1 college basketball and high school. If we hadnt recruited him then all the KY fans would be griping at how they let Mr. KY Basketball 2007 slip through their hands... Anyone recall Chris Lofton??? They just need time, and we as UK fans need to learn to be patient.

Porter, Harris, Stephenson, etc... are all products of Tubby Smith. Personally I dont see why they dont find a reason to send Porter home and use his scholarship for a new water boy, would be much better spent. He's almost as good as Mark Curry was last year. It's a trying time in the bluegrass for UK fans. I'm not saying I'm above being frustrated w/ the situation, I am almost disgusted w/ it actually. But I like to give credit where credit is due. Ten years of Tubby is what we are paying for now.
Stardust Wrote:I think as fans everyone wants to voice their opinion and concern about the team, but I don't think anyone is losing confidence in the team nor is lacking the support for the coaches and the players. UK could be 19-0 and we would find something to complain about.

I lost all confidence when tubby arrived and this coach here isnt helping any but I wish the best of luck

Get out and recruit duh... or hit the road and recruit another school. Thats MY OPINION:mad:
Do you people actually think gillispie cares if you support him or this team? He is an idiot and has no clue what hes doing, but besides that he is a total jerk. He could care less if you like him or the way he coaches, or when people say things about him like the way I do all the time. He is out for himself and not this team, if he cared anything about this team he would try different things instead of running the same crap. Things were never this bad with Tubby as coach, I dont care what any of you say, he was a better coach than this idiot and quite possibly better than coaches before him. He is doing way more with less talent at Minnesota and did the same with the 98 team. He recruited players with heart and determination and he didnt confuse his team or put all the blame on the players when something wasnt going right like this guy does now. UK doesnt deserve a guy or coach like Tubby, they are getting exactly what they deserve right now for running Tubby off like they did. These players however do deserve better, its not their fault they have to put up with someone like him, they just have to deal with it the best way they can and play the game the best way they know how under his idiotic philosophies.
Kyboy13 Wrote:I really thought we would have a chance to be a special team this year and at times we've shown it, but at others it's sad to watch. Next year if Pat stays, we'll have a legit top 5 team. As hard as it is we'll all just have to be patient next year IMO is the key to the future of UK basketball if we can't get the job done Clyde is gone and so are alot of big time recruits. I honestly think Pat will see the job done next though.

A top 5 team I didnt hear about the switch from d-1 to d-2.. when did this happen. HA HABig Grin
theVILLE Wrote:Get out and recruit duh... or hit the road and recruit another school. Thats MY OPINION:mad:

What? OK, we have established that Stevenson, Harris and Porter would not start anywhere else. So, you say get out and recruit then. Hmmm, I'd say he did BG did a great job in recuriting the future of UK Basketball with Liggins, Miller and Galloway.
We will be alright. Just going through a rough patch right now.
NIKE2010 Wrote:We will be alright. Just going through a rough patch right now.

:thumpsup: I agree
Kyboy13 Wrote:I'm nearly positive I'm the biggest UK fan in the world, and these past for years have been so trying for me and all of you true blue fans out there. I know some of you are getting discouraged with our cats, and our coach, and I'll admit sitting here watching the CATS play against Miss. State so far it's easy to see why. But I just wanted to tell you guys that we're Kentuckians, and fans of the best basketball program in the history of the NCAA, let's keep our heads up and support our team. Nothing makes me more angry then seeing our fans boo a good group of young men. Some of who passed up a chance to play on a hotter team or go pro (Patrick) instead they decided to come to a historied dynasty that has hit a ruff patch, and try to be a part of something bigger than all of us. They want to right the ship just as much as we do so please lets just keep our heads up and support our CATS!

Very well said!!!:Clap:
theVILLE Wrote:A top 5 team I didnt hear about the switch from d-1 to d-2.. when did this happen. HA HABig Grin

Next year Pat and Jodie will both be top 25 players in the nation. Add Orton down low to free up Pat some, who will be able to stop them? Certainly not Loserville. Teams will be forced to play a zone and try to pack it in on the Orton, Patterson combo, and we all know Jodie is the great equalizer when it comes to the zone. The key lies at the PG position and the development of Liggins, maybe Villanaro. Darius will be a solid 3 man next year maybe not a superstar yet, but a 10+ a night guy.
UK needs a PURE shooter. This is what we lack EVERY YEAR! We see smaller teams like Butler/N.D./Davidson/ have people who can shoot....4 out of the 5 starters can nail the 3 ball. If we had a shooter and just a P.G. then sky is the limit for this team. Patterson/Meeks and I think Stevenson are a VERY SOLID 3. Now just imagine a pure shooter and a solid PG.
I would say that Meeks is the pure shooter, one of the best alltime for UK. The lack of a solid PG and experienced depth is the biggest challenges for UK. Gillispie has addressed the depth with excellent recruiting. However, they are young and not ready for D-1 play at this time. As for next year, it's possible that Meeks is here, but there is no way that Patterson comes back for his Jr. year, he is NBA 1st round bound!
Stardust Wrote:What? OK, we have established that Stevenson, Harris and Porter would not start anywhere else. So, you say get out and recruit then. Hmmm, I'd say he did BG did a great job in recuriting the future of UK Basketball with Liggins, Miller and Galloway.

ok what wrong then
Kyboy13 Wrote:Next year Pat and Jodie will both be top 25 players in the nation. Add Orton down low to free up Pat some, who will be able to stop them? Certainly not Loserville. Teams will be forced to play a zone and try to pack it in on the Orton, Patterson combo, and we all know Jodie is the great equalizer when it comes to the zone. The key lies at the PG position and the development of Liggins, maybe Villanaro. Darius will be a solid 3 man next year maybe not a superstar yet, but a 10+ a night guy.

ok I heard this last year and louisville will slaughter SUCKYTUCKY next year at RUPP ARENS just like everyone else is right now HA HA. Orton isnt going to be anything but like Jarrod carter a bench warmer probaly he cant handle clarke and samuels if they stay. For get louisville is better than SUCKYTUCKY has thought about been
Stardust Wrote:I would say that Meeks is the pure shooter, one of the best alltime for UK. The lack of a solid PG and experienced depth is the biggest challenges for UK. Gillispie has addressed the depth with excellent recruiting. However, they are young and not ready for D-1 play at this time. As for next year, it's possible that Meeks is here, but there is no way that Patterson comes back for his Jr. year, he is NBA 1st round bound!

How come everyone elses freshman are doing well like florida adn tennessee and arkansas and Duke and syracuse!! explain that are the just better players or is it the coach not getting the best out of themConfusedhh:
Pages: 1 2