Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Landon Slone Transferring??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In one of the post it said that Landon wasn't getting to play because he to Billy G. that he would be transferring at the end of this season. Does anyone know the truth in this? If he is, then where is he going?
He'd be stupid to transfer already, he's a walk on freshman for crying out loud. What kind of playing time does he expect amongst 4 and 5 star players?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to play for Billy G either, but at this point I'd probably stick it out and work for some playing time!
I dont see it, Landon's playing time will only increase year to year.
I've also heard that Slone will be leaving after this season. If I were guessing I'd say Slone will go to a NAIA school where he will get a chance to play. Slone is never going to get to play at UK because they are always just going to be that much better than he is. You have to be a truly gifted basketball player to play at the Division 1 level and especially at UK. I just think he would be better suited to play at a Georgetown or a Pikeville. I think he he regrets not going to Georgetown or taking his other NAIA offers. Slone going to UK was just a bad decision and he should've had better advice from the start.
You have to understand it though. He got offered to come play for Kentucky. Any kid who is a major big blue fan probably would have taken that offer. But now he see's that sitting on the bench isnt fun nor what he is used to. I would have looked at my offers a little closer if I was him, or maybe he did I dont know.. Im sure he'll do whatever he feels is right. Keep us updated on this.
Well I hate to hear that, but come on, I mean what does he expect as a freshman??????? I hope he didn't go down there as a walk on thinking he would be starting this year.... I agree, he would be a heck of a ball player at a NAIA school.....
15th region slamdunk Wrote:You have to understand it though. He got offered to come play for Kentucky. Any kid who is a major big blue fan probably would have taken that offer. But now he see's that sitting on the bench isnt fun nor what he is used to. I would have looked at my offers a little closer if I was him, or maybe he did I dont know.. Im sure he'll do whatever he feels is right. Keep us updated on this.
He was simply offered a walk-on at UK. Other than that I think his next biggest offer was either from a D-2 or Georgetown. I just think he should try to go down a level where he can play and do well. It's a shame to see him work all of these years just to say he put on a UK uniform. I think you could say that about several of the UK players.
I don't believe it. When Billy was in Pikeville I interviewed him and he told me that Landon would be getting a scholly most likely in a season or two if he stuck with it.
BlackcatFootball Wrote:I don't believe it. When Billy was in Pikeville I interviewed him and he told me that Landon would be getting a scholly most likely in a season or two if he stuck with it.

Your right. Its all hear say right now, wouldnt take it serious.
If Landon was TO MAKE THE MISTAKE AND LEAVE U.K....Western Ky would be a PERFECT fit for him IMO!
Wildcat Blue Wrote:Slone is never going to get to play at UK because they are always just going to be that much better than he is.

I completely disagree, he may not be as tall or as athletic, but he knows more about basketball than anyone on UK's team. UK needs another scorer, and it's obvious that Harris, Liggins and Miller aren't cutting it.
^ Liggins isn't a scorer, I'll give you that, but these last few games Darius has been our second best player. Last night he had 12 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists.
blackcat Wrote:I completely disagree, he may not be as tall or as athletic, but he knows more about basketball than anyone on UK's team. UK needs another scorer, and it's obvious that Harris, Liggins and Miller aren't cutting it.

Hate to burst your bubble.. but Slone will never ever start at UK. He got a few minutes against weak competition and everyone thinks he's all of a sudden a star. Don't get me wrong, Landon is a good player but clearly not UK material. I agree that Harris and Liggins are sucking it up but Miller is getting better each game and IMO will develop into a star with time.
Landon may be a great player and I too would love to see him get some playing time and be in the game, but for him to transfer becasue he isn't getting playing time is just crazy. Just like Uncle Fester said hes a walk on freshman. He just needs to give it time and work that much harder if he really wants to be a high minute man in a couple years.
KINGJAMES#1 Wrote:Hate to burst your bubble.. but Slone will never ever start at UK. He got a few minutes against weak competition and everyone thinks he's all of a sudden a star. Don't get me wrong, Landon is a good player but clearly not UK material. I agree that Harris and Liggins are sucking it up but Miller is getting better each game and IMO will develop into a star with time.

Tell me where I said he should start or that he is a "star", but you would have to be ignorant to say that Landon isn't better than Harris. Miller has been playing better, but I don't think him nor Liggins will ever be a consistent scorer, watching them shoot the ball is just horrendous, and if you can't shoot by their age, you may just not have it.
He's not going anywhere.
betsylaynealum Wrote:I dont see it, Landon's playing time will only increase year to year.

Exactly, I hope there is no truth to this.
why would he stay?
Tear Drop Wrote:why would he stay?

The better question would be "Why wouldn't he stay?"
Now answer that and I'll get back with you...
if he wants to actually play in real games, he'll have to work his tail, and improve his game.. but he is going to have to work 3 times as hard as scholarship players, and even then, he'll just be a relief guy, spot shooter.. The best walk on ever was Cameron Mills, he could maybe take this roll if he works his tail off..
Jshort5 Wrote:The better question would be "Why wouldn't he stay?"

Theres two sides to this. Maybe he would rather play at a smaller time school, and be bigger star. I mean face it, hes never gonna have his jersey retired, where as a place like Georgetown, he could have that kind of career. Its all in what he wants to do. And in the end, thats what he needs to do.
This should be labeled a rumor. Everyone said he wasnt good enough, he proved so many of us wrong. If he hangs in there he will be alright. Remember FRESHMAN year is always the hardest.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Theres two sides to this. Maybe he would rather play at a smaller time school, and be bigger star. I mean face it, hes never gonna have his jersey retired, where as a place like Georgetown, he could have that kind of career. Its all in what he wants to do. And in the end, thats what he needs to do.

You certainly are downplaying the caliber of basketball that Georgetown plays. I dont think it's a definate that he could be a star at Georgetown, Cumberland, Pikeville, or Lindsey Wilson. He would probably get some PT, but I dont think he would dominate like some of you are thinking.
Jshort5 Wrote:The better question would be "Why wouldn't he stay?"
In my personal opinion he shouldn't stay so he could go somewhere smaller to better his chances of playing. I think he is really selling himself short by staying a UK. He hasn't played in a single game where it was a crucial situation. If Billy G thought he was really going to be a huge asset for the Cats the would've offered a scholarship out of HS. I think he is a good player but just not at that level.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You certainly are downplaying the caliber of basketball that Georgetown plays. I dont think it's a definate that he could be a star at Georgetown, Cumberland, Pikeville, or Lindsey Wilson. He would probably get some PT, but I dont think he would dominate like some of you are thinking.
I think you are right about G-Town being very good in basketball.
For years, the Mid-South has been the best conference athleticly in all of NAIA. Georgetown, Lindsey, Cumberlands, etc. get a lot of Div. I players and JUCOs that transfer in because of academic reasons or have got in trouble at their past schools. That level is extremely competitive.
He could go somewhere and play, but he would have an avg. career in NAIA.

He could also stay, work his butt off and play good minutes his JR/SR. year, or do that and play very little.

BUT if he stays he gets all the benefits of being a former UK player, like a path to coaching, and really never having to worry about a job in the state of Kentucky......plus the women.....

No brainer to me.:biggrin:
NEXT Wrote:He could go somewhere and play, but he would have an avg. career in NAIA.

He could also stay, work his butt off and play good minutes his JR/SR. year, or do that and play very little.

BUT if he stays he gets all the benefits of being a former UK player, like a path to coaching, and really never having to worry about a job in the state of Kentucky......plus the women.....

No brainer to me.:biggrin:
When you become content with riding the bench is the day you need to give it up because you've lost your desire to play. I just hope he makes the right choice for the right reasons. He is a good kid and I do wish him well.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:If Landon was TO MAKE THE MISTAKE AND LEAVE U.K....Western Ky would be a PERFECT fit for him IMO!

I agree, Westen KY sounds right for him, Dont get me wrong but he is a great player, one of the best to come out of the mountains recently. I think he would start there.
I see he could even get some playing time a Eastern or a small school D1 school out of state.
Pages: 1 2