Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tebow's greatness many things, including false idol
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11255402/rss

This one's going to hurt. It's going to hurt you, and it's going to hurt me. It might hurt Urban Meyer. About the only person I'm sure it won't hurt is the person I'm attacking, in a nice way: Tim Tebow. He's almost perfect. He's definitely impervious. So this attack isn't directed at Tim Tebow, girded as he is by a hide of horse and the love of God. It's directed at those who would beatify the man.

Because he's just a man. A good man, sure. A better man than I? There's no question about that. It's possible I'm jealous of Tim Tebow -- a jealousy that goes beyond his athletic ability. The world is full of superior athletes, too many to count, which means I'm over that. Almost everyone I've ever written about, in 20 years in sportswriting, was or is a better athlete. Fine. I'm used to it.

But a better human being? That's harder to swallow, right? These guys are superior physically, and we as sports writers can deal with it. We're used to it. But when they're superior off the field ... that's a different deal. That's more humbling, because if they're better on the field and they're better off the field, that's just a little bit depressing. But Tim Tebow is better off the field than me. It's not close. I can live with it.

What I can't live with is the beatification of the man. Not on the field. And not off it. Not anywhere. It's too much, and before I tell you why, let me puncture a few holes in your arguments. I'm not an SEC-hater. As a kid I grew up in these states: Mississippi, Tennessee and Georgia. Sounds like I might be anti-Gator, huh? Well ... did I mention my alma mater? It's located in Gainesville, Fla. Class of 1992. That's me.
Put it this way, teams gameplan around Tebow, they know what's coming at them on the 1 yard line for Florida and they can't stop it. Teams know that with 1 min on the clock and Florida with the ball, they know who's hands the ball is going to rest in, but teams STILL can't stop him, he is the best college player in history. He outshines any player that is put up against him. He outshined the Heisman winner in the National title game that most people didn't even think he could win. He has been doubted over and over again, and he still ends his media conferences with a blessing to the people. How can people hate on this guy?
Well he may be a great college player but you know as well as I do that very few QBs that run the spread option make it in the NFL... Is the guy a class act yes he is.... Do I think he has the right morals yes i do... Do I like him no I dont.
I agree to a point. The media worship of Tim Tebow has crossed the line. My brother and I was discussing that during the national title game. Hes not perfect and people should remember that for their sake as well as Tims sake we are all flawed human beings. I for one like the Bible verses on the eye black. In the "look at me" world of sports its good to see someone using that for something good.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I agree to a point. The media worship of Tim Tebow has crossed the line. My brother and I was discussing that during the national title game. Hes not perfect and people should remember that for their sake as well as Tims sake we are all flawed human beings. I for one like the Bible verses on the eye black. In the "look at me" world of sports its good to see someone using that for something good.

Nice post
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I agree to a point. The media worship of Tim Tebow has crossed the line. My brother and I was discussing that during the national title game. Hes not perfect and people should remember that for their sake as well as Tims sake we are all flawed human beings. I for one like the Bible verses on the eye black. In the "look at me" world of sports its good to see someone using that for something good.

Remember that when the media catches wind of him messing up some where. Cause like you said, "we are all flawed human beings". He will screw up somewhere along the line. Just as we all do. It may not be something big. But, I can grant you that the media will make it something big. Don't kick him while he is down. Cause it will be a very rough road if or when he does show some of his human side.

Romans 3:23: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
Tebow is a great young man, athlete, and student. Why is it that when someone like him comes around, we look past the good things he has done and try our hardest to find something "wrong with him"? The media does a great job of glorifying someone only to wait for the right moment and see if that person can stumble, so they can attack them. It's really quite sad. Tebow has done everything a college athlete should do and I do think he should be viewed as an idol for today's youth. How can you not think that? He is a great player, but beyond that he has his beliefs and sticks by them. He could have easily gone to the NFL this year if he wanted, but as he said in his interview, he owes something to the University of Florida, his teammates, his coach. Because he actually stands for something and believes in something, people try to bring him down and find flawes in him. Maybe that's what is wrong with our society these days. Instead of focusing on the good people do, we wait to see if they mess up and do something bad and then jump all over it. For those waiting to see him fall, I think it's sad they can't try to see the good in someone and when someone good does come around like Tim Tebow, they try to say he is false.
imo i think he may be the greatest college player of all time, he is a great young man to think he is my age and done all the things on and off the field that he has done is just mind blowing i think alot of you are just mad because he isnt in the jersey of your team, i hope nothin but the best for him and his family