Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New Pikeville Coach?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
It is now well known that Pikeville will be searching for a new football coach...

Whether you agree with the decision or not the purpose of this thread is to discuss who Pikeville should go after as their next head coach...

One name that comes to my thoughts is Ben Howard...

Your thoughts???
I would really like to hear some names myself>>> I could name several but it would just be speculation
Chuck Taylor Wrote:It is now well known that Pikeville will be searching for a new football coach...

Whether you agree with the decision or not the purpose of this thread is to discuss who Pikeville should go after as their next head coach...

One name that comes to my thoughts is Ben Howard...

Your thoughts???

If any of the Howards come it will be Hillard. Ben will take over his head coaching spot at Letcher
Would Hillard take it??
allseasonfan Wrote:Would Hillard take it??

I dont think he would but i know nothing about him except he has a great program over at LCC.
Not only that but im not sure Hillard could make anymore money than he's making right now, he is making a killing over there with how they have his contract set up, and he'll most likely retire with that job
Id say Hillard hates to see the program falling this much after what he got it up to and all that he's won and been through. I know i would
I can't see Coach Howard ( Hillard ) leaving what he has right now. As far as coaches to replace Copley, I hear a lot of people on the Pikeville threads talking about hiring Pikeville people. Who are some local candidates from Pikeville that may be willing to take the job?
What about Chase Gibson?

He has some coaching experience, he is a pikeville boy..
allseasonfan Wrote:Would Hillard take it??

Only if the money was right. The one thing that is predictible about Coach Hillard Howard is that he always follows the money, and I don't blame him, he's earned it. It would have to start by replacing the current AD, Principal,and Superintendent, then maybe that would bring back the big money people at Pikeville. I really don't see him leaving such a good draw of kids at LCC. The worst thing about being at LCC is that you will have to knock off Highlands for a state title.
You also have Jason "Gravy" Anderson, Matt Branham, Derek Sword, all of these guys have had some coaching experience. Virgil Ray has a years experience at the little league level, I'm not sure that would qualify him though. They are all Pikeville boys. I would say that Chris McNamee will be the next coach at Pikeville, just because of the offense he runs, of course it hasn't done very well at Pike Central.
SportsKing Wrote:You also have Jason "Gravy" Anderson, Matt Branham, Derek Sword, all of these guys have had some coaching experience. Virgil Ray has a years experience at the little league level, I'm not sure that would qualify him though.

Gravy (Me) is not certified to be a teacher just yet, neither is Matt Branham, Derek Sword is going to medical school pretty soon. All 3 of us help right now. I am a full time assistant (4 years of varsity experience, 1 year of jr high, 2 years of little league), Matt is part time (3 years head jr high coach, 1 year varsity experience), and Derek did an awesome job helping out not only with football but as well as weightlifting (1 year of varsity and jr high experience).
TRAIN85 Wrote:Gravy (Me) is not certified to be a teacher just yet, neither is Matt Branham, Derek Sword is going to medical school pretty soon. All 3 of us help right now. I am a full time assistant (4 years of varsity experience, 1 year of jr high, 2 years of little league), Matt is part time (3 years head jr high coach, 1 year varsity experience), and Derek did an awesome job helping out not only with football but as well as weightlifting (1 year of varsity and jr high experience).

Are you going to teach Gravy?

Copley couldn't ask for a better staff. What's the deal with Paul Sullivan? I thought he was going to try to help with coaching?
SportsKing Wrote:It would have to start by replacing the current AD, Principal,and Superintendent, then maybe that would bring back the big money people at Pikeville..
Please do not force this thread to be closed like the other.

This thread is titled "New Pikeville Coach?", not anyone's thoughts about the administration.

The last thread was closed because of immature, borderline slanderous statements about teachers and administrators.

Watching closely.
I'd love to see Gravy as caoch. Cool
This is solely throwing names out there, but here are a couple people I could see coming in and helping Pikeville alot. Whether they would take the job or if they meet the Pikeville politics is left for discussion:

1. Kevin Saunders- Head Coach at Shelby Valley

Some Pikeville people would find either these to be uncouth, but look deeper.Saunders has turned around perennial doormat Shelby Valley from the bottom to the topof their program. He has helped instill a successful feeder program, taken Valley to the playoffs and even the 2nd Round. He has improved SV's numbers, improved SV's conditioning program, helped secure better facilities, and instilled a different attitude. All this while at a school that will ALWAYS be a basketball school first. He is still fairly young, and is connected to the community (although a change of pace from the same names in Pikeville). It can be argued he has done more than McNamee with the same ammount to work with. I truly believe Saunders is very happy with his project to turn around SV and will be hard to waiver, but the allure of one of the elite programs and not always having to be 2nd fiddle could possibly make the difference.

2. Casey Lequire- Assistant Coach @ Belfry

Casey is a Belfry boy through and through, and who many believe may one day be the Pirate Head Coach. But, Lequire got his coaching start at Pikeville and knows all the right people in the Pikeville school district. He brings an excellent understanding of the game, youth, and the ability to work well with many of the other young prominent assistants Pikeville has. Anyone who has been around Casey can't help but like him and you can't go wrong with a young coach that Haywood has all but taken under his wing as a mentor. Also, even though Lequire is connected enough to shake the right hands he is disconnected enugh from Pikeville politics to be able to put his own stamp. Lequire willbe hard to lure away, much like Saunders, but the chance to stay close to home and advance his career could make him think twice. Casey wants to be a coach more thany anything and was born to be one, it has been that way since high school, this would give him a chance to live his dream and do so at a program with tons of resources.
winning trumps couth and koshar every time... look around @ most of the winning coaches in anything... most are as big a "you-know-what" as can be... but people are ALWAYS willing to "look the other way" as long as the uncouth are doing what?

WINNING!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:This is solely throwing names out there, but here are a couple people I could see coming in and helping Pikeville alot. Whether they would take the job or if they meet the Pikeville politics is left for discussion:

1. Kevin Saunders- Head Coach at Shelby Valley

Some Pikeville people would find either these to be uncouth, but look deeper.Saunders has turned around perennial doormat Shelby Valley from the bottom to the topof their program. He has helped instill a successful feeder program, taken Valley to the playoffs and even the 2nd Round. He has improved SV's numbers, improved SV's conditioning program, helped secure better facilities, and instilled a different attitude. All this while at a school that will ALWAYS be a basketball school first. He is still fairly young, and is connected to the community (although a change of pace from the same names in Pikeville). It can be argued he has done more than McNamee with the same ammount to work with. I truly believe Saunders is very happy with his project to turn around SV and will be hard to waiver, but the allure of one of the elite programs and not always having to be 2nd fiddle could possibly make the difference.

2. Casey Lequire- Assistant Coach @ Belfry

Casey is a Belfry boy through and through, and who many believe may one day be the Pirate Head Coach. But, Lequire got his coaching start at Pikeville and knows all the right people in the Pikeville school district. He brings an excellent understanding of the game, youth, and the ability to work well with many of the other young prominent assistants Pikeville has. Anyone who has been around Casey can't help but like him and you can't go wrong with a young coach that Haywood has all but taken under his wing as a mentor. Also, even though Lequire is connected enough to shake the right hands he is disconnected enugh from Pikeville politics to be able to put his own stamp. Lequire willbe hard to lure away, much like Saunders, but the chance to stay close to home and advance his career could make him think twice. Casey wants to be a coach more thany anything and was born to be one, it has been that way since high school, this would give him a chance to live his dream and do so at a program with tons of resources.

Great post, EKU. :Thumbs:

But I wonder if the Pikeville folks would accept their new head football coach being from Shelby Valley, of all places? Not to mention that he can be a little rough around the edges, like you mentioned.

The second option might be more palatable to the public, given that he comes from a traditional power in Belfry.
This Coach will be the Tipping Point for the Pikeville Football Program, the program will be returned to the glory days or it will only be a mediocrity program!

I would like to think that the Administration already has a Coach who has agreed to take the job, why else would you let a Coach that was 7-1 in class-A go!?

What Pikeville needs since they have decided that Coach Copley was not the right person to grow the program is a Proven GREAT Coach (I did not say they had a chance to get these):

Great
1- Hillard Howard
2- Philip Haywood
3- Dudley Hilton
4- Jim Matney
5- Bill Allara – will not give up retirement to come back and coach

Good (Not sure that they can handle (or would won’t to) all the Pikeville BS outside of coaching to survive long-term):
1. Ben Howard
2. Chris McNamee
3. Mike Copley Wink
4. Shawn Hager
5. Steve Jewell
6. Bill Letton
7. John Derossett
8. Mike Holcomb
9. Yogi Kinder

If Pikeville wants to take the Football Program forward then these are the caliber of the next Coach they should be recruiting to take the job (not just setting back and taking applications for the job and then interviewing those who apply).

Whoever the new Coach is they should as a condition to accepting the job have the hold-back policy changed (19 year-olds Vs 16, 17 and 18 year-old does make a difference).

New Coach – New Program – New Policies – New Hope! :rockon:
vgaacalj Wrote:9. Yogi Kinder

:rockon:

:lmao:

Yogi Kinder and Pikeville would mx about as well as warm buttermilk and pepsi
Yogi is a great coach, look what he did at Matewan.
What about James Derossett (John's younger brother)? He would have to be considered. He is a certified teacher, has been around football his whole life and is a great strength & conditioning coach. James also teaches a lot of discipline, something I feel Pikeville has lacked the past few seasons.
Please do not mention allegations about prospective coaches.
pikeville needs a good offense minded coach or one that puts someone up in the press box that can read the field and send in the right plays. i dont know who has been in the box the last few years but theyve been looking at a different field. play calling has been terrible.
This thread and some members won't last long if we don't carefully consider our posts.
TRAIN85 Wrote:Gravy (Me) is not certified to be a teacher just yet, neither is Matt Branham, Derek Sword is going to medical school pretty soon. All 3 of us help right now. I am a full time assistant (4 years of varsity experience, 1 year of jr high, 2 years of little league), Matt is part time (3 years head jr high coach, 1 year varsity experience), and Derek did an awesome job helping out not only with football but as well as weightlifting (1 year of varsity and jr high experience).

This is not a direct insult to you Gravy or Matt or any of you guys but come on. I just don't feel that you could take on a varsity level coaching job. There is so much more that goes into it that people don't realize. Not only that, but without any head coaching experience it would be hard to come in and do a good job because of the constant scrutinty. In order for Pikeville to get any type of respect from the community is to go out and hire an established head coach who has a lot of background and history in winning and building a program. So many schools try to go for the cheap way out and hand over head coaching jobs to first year head coaches in a program that demands winning, and that just isn't a good fit. What you need to realize is that if you want to win and continue to win your going to have to put your greed aside and find someone that can not only build a program, but continue a tradition that the community expects.
Ben Howard is a good young coach who would be a nice fit for Pikeville. He has been trained by the best.
vgaacalj Wrote:This Coach will be the Tipping Point for the Pikeville Football Program, the program will be returned to the glory days or it will only be a mediocrity program!

I would like to think that the Administration already has a Coach who has agreed to take the job, why else would you let a Coach that was 7-1 in class-A go!?

What Pikeville needs since they have decided that Coach Copley was not the right person to grow the program is a Proven GREAT Coach (I did not say they had a chance to get these):

Great
1- Hillard Howard
2- Philip Haywood
3- Dudley Hilton
4- Jim Matney
5- Bill Allara – will not give up retirement to come back and coach

Good (Not sure that they can handle (or would won’t to) all the Pikeville BS outside of coaching to survive long-term):
1. Ben Howard
2. Chris McNamee
3. Mike Copley Wink
4. Shawn Hager
5. Steve Jewell
6. Bill Letton
7. John Derossett
8. Mike Holcomb
9. Yogi Kinder

If Pikeville wants to take the Football Program forward then these are the caliber of the next Coach they should be recruiting to take the job (not just setting back and taking applications for the job and then interviewing those who apply).

Whoever the new Coach is they should as a condition to accepting the job have the hold-back policy changed (19 year-olds Vs 16, 17 and 18 year-old does make a difference).

New Coach – New Program – New Policies – New Hope! :rockon:

With the talent that I saw on the field for Pikeville this year, they better hire someone who is great.
ZoneRead Wrote:Ben Howard is a good young coach who would be a nice fit for Pikeville. He has been trained by the best.

Does BH teach? If so, what subject?
allseasonfan Wrote:Does BH teach? If so, what subject?

Math I think
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14