Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Landon Slone!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've watched this kid all yr. He probably has best feel for the game of basketball on the roster. Sure he;s not the most athletic kid on the team, but seems to do the right thing 90% of the time! I think if he can keep up this work ethic he can earn a scholly?? Whats everyones thoughts, keep making the mountians proud Landon.
He's having a **** of a game, thats for sure!
He's playing a great game!!! He is turning out to be a better player at Uk than what I thought he would be...He def proved me wrong so far
Definitely had a nice game today! Goes to show... work hard for what you want!!!
I think Landon really impressed everyone today, including Kyle Macy. He only had 4 points, but was a big reason Kentucky came away with a win.
There is no doubt about Landon playing with heart and leaving it all on the court game in and game out. He's a tough competitor and his defense was crucial in today's win. I also thought he made several great passes, he has just a general feel for the offense that some of the scholarship players don't. Like it or not, Landon deserves double-digit minutes each game...I think conditioning down the stretch may have affected his shot, but come SEC time he'll have his shot down and play a major role in the success of the UK program. Congrats to UK and to Landon, for making all of us in EKY proud!
He has basketball smarts and could be a real good PG if he works on his ball handling skills, but good lord he cant shoot worth a lick and could have cost us the game by throwing up 3's.
What about cost us the game was lack of defense...Landon played tough defense and he isn't used to getting that many minutes, the kid played 25 and had it not been for him setting the tone and shutting down penetration I would say we would've got beat. Even PPat mentioned him after the game and claimed he was the heart beat of the defense today...the kid fed the post, but his shot will fall (might not of had his legs under him from hustling the entire time, something a few don't do)...a kid doesn't average 26pts a game in high school if they can't shoot. He will be play a major role before the season is over.
IRISH4 Wrote:What about cost us the game was lack of defense...Landon played tough defense and he isn't used to getting that many minutes, the kid played 25 and had it not been for him setting the tone and shutting down penetration I would say we would've got beat. Even PPat mentioned him after the game and claimed he was the heart beat of the defense today...the kid fed the post, but his shot will fall (might not of had his legs under him from hustling the entire time, something a few don't do)...a kid doesn't average 26pts a game in high school if they can't shoot. He will be play a major role before the season is over.
He played defense real well but dont sit here and tell me he is a great shooter. He proved it today. Its different playing slow white guys from Paintsville than decent D1 players. I guess where he is from Eastern KY though that makes him the best player in the world.
RavenBoy Wrote:He played defense real well but dont sit here and tell me he is a great shooter. He proved it today. Its different playing slow white guys from Paintsville than decent D1 players. I guess where he is from Eastern KY though that makes him the best player in the world.

Just let the jealousy go man...it's eatin' ya up to see you might have been "wrong" about Lando...the kid's got heart....
RavenBoy Wrote:He played defense real well but dont sit here and tell me he is a great shooter. He proved it today. Its different playing slow white guys from Paintsville than decent D1 players. I guess where he is from Eastern KY though that makes him the best player in the world.

I never said he was the best player in the world...that's just you being your delusional self. He is a great shooter, Meeks is also but he has off days....strange you never hear anything negative about him. You've dogged the kid from day one...time to let 'em drop and give credit where credit is due. What made him a D1 play was the way he lit J-town up for about 35 and when Scotty Hopson guarded him at the All "A" he dropped about 26 or 27 on him...and he's doing quite well at Tennessee.
He plays as hard as he can the entire time he is out there...And I think he plays some of the best defense on the team...JMO

Keep up the hard work Landon!!!
RavenBoy Wrote:He has basketball smarts and could be a real good PG if he works on his ball handling skills, but good lord he cant shoot worth a lick and could have cost us the game by throwing up 3's.

The kid took 5 shots today. One went in, 3 rimmed in and out, and the other one caught iron. He does what is told of him by the coaching staff and that is the reason he played 25 minutes compared to Galloway's 3 minutes, Miller's 7, and Liggins few. He's out there for a reason and the coaching staff has confidence in him or he would've been over there riding the pine because the game was tight the whole time. He averaged 20+ points a game in high school so he can shoot the rock. This made the second time this season he has got over 20 minutes in a game, with more minutes he'll become more comfortable and the shots will start to drop. He probably hasn't taken 15 shots all season, back in high school I'm sure he shot it that many times a game. There are many positives one can take away from this game, the folks I sat next to down in section 19 today thought he handled the pressure with poise of someone that is not a walkon freshman, fed the post, didn't turn the ball over, took no ill advised shots, and played solid defense today. I think most people that were there or watched the game with an open mind would take that away as well.
Bengal4Life Wrote:He plays as hard as he can the entire time he is out there...And I think he plays some of the best defense on the team...JMO

Keep up the hard work Landon!!!

I love his defensive approach to the game. He is solid and hopefully today got him more playing time in the future.
Get a life Raven, your just jealous. I would like to see you and Mr. SLone play a friendly game of horse and see how it would end up. You would get destroyed Raven Girl!!!!!!!!!!
**** he proved me wrong by just getting playing time...
He may be a walk on white player from the mountains of Eastern Kentucky, but from what I have seen he deserves the scholarship of the white player from California. He is a better player than Porter, hands down. The description of Landon was in honor of Raven Boy. Personally, I don't care if a player is white, black or purple. If they can play, they deserve the minutes.
I watched Landon in high school and was impressed then, He and some of his teammates came to one of Shelby Valley's games last year, They stood up top and watched. The blue crew spotted him and chanted go home Paintsville, he just smiled really big and seemed to be very down to earth. I like watching him and I am proud of him.
If you haven't seen the article in today's Lexington Herald-Leader about Landon here is the link:

http://www.kentucky.com/838/story/639298.html

Sometimes it feels so sweet when you get to say to all those critics.....I TOLD YOU SO!

HEART CAN'T BE MEASURED!
DALE Wrote:The kid took 5 shots today. One went in, 3 rimmed in and out, and the other one caught iron. He does what is told of him by the coaching staff and that is the reason he played 25 minutes compared to Galloway's 3 minutes, Miller's 7, and Liggins few. He's out there for a reason and the coaching staff has confidence in him or he would've been over there riding the pine because the game was tight the whole time. He averaged 20+ points a game in high school so he can shoot the rock. This made the second time this season he has got over 20 minutes in a game, with more minutes he'll become more comfortable and the shots will start to drop. He probably hasn't taken 15 shots all season, back in high school I'm sure he shot it that many times a game. There are many positives one can take away from this game, the folks I sat next to down in section 19 today thought he handled the pressure with poise of someone that is not a walkon freshman, fed the post, didn't turn the ball over, took no ill advised shots, and played solid defense today. I think most people that were there or watched the game with an open mind would take that away as well.

Great post and great article as well. Landon is definitely getting more PT as a walk on than I ever expected to. I knew that he would deserve more than riding pine every minute of every game and Coach sees that too. He has HUGE potential. The boy CAN shoot the lights out of it, I've seen him do it. I don't think that missing 4 three point attempts was a huge deal, as Meeks does it every game I'm sure. He did exactly what was needed of him. If he can get the shots to start falling, everyone will see and in time, I know he will. Slone can do anything he sets his mind to in the game and knowing that missing his shots is bothering him, you can beat that he will be working his butt off before the next game.