Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Landon Slone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Landon Slone has dreamed about the day he would make a name for himself at Kentucky. When given the opportunity he just wanted to make the people who cherish Kentucky basketball proud.
Slone, a Paintsville native, got his chance early in the Cats' victory over Mississippi Valley State and he didn't waste any time proving he could be a valuable commodity in certain situations as the Cats go forward. Perhaps sensing the Cats needed a pick-me-up UK coach Billy Gillispie yelled for Slone before reaching the first media timeout of the game, knowing he'd get maximum effort from the freshman walk-on.

"He plays hard," Gillispie said. "He shot the ball well and I think he can make shots and he's used to scoring points. He plays hard and that's the reason he was in there so early."

Slone couldn't think of a greater compliment than Gillispie's diagnosis of how he plays.

"That's a great compliment and what I pride myself on - playing hard on every possession," Slone said. "I was a little surprised (to play so early) but you have to be ready whenever he calls you. That's what all the preparation is for and when he asks you to do something you've got to do it."

Slone's tenacity didn't lead to an immediate team-wide spark but he acquitted himself quite well against the Delta Devils. The 6-foot-3 guard had an inauspicious start when a baseline jumper he took less than 30 seconds after entering the game slammed off the side of the backboard and into Perry Stevenson's hands, resulting in a dunk.

"I told the guys that was a pass to Perry," Slone said with a laugh.

The afternoon got much better from there. With Mississippi Valley State settled into a 2-3 zone to neutralize Patrick Patterson in the middle Slone was able to do what he does best, bury two three-pointers by finding the gaps in that defense.

"Landon was able to come out and knock down some threes to put us ahead, his defense was good and he rose to the occasion," Patterson said. "Coach called for him early and he was able to come out with confidence.

"With the 2-3 zone people play against us we know Landon is going to knock down threes," Patterson said. "He sets up the offense and makes the right plays."

Slone is no stranger to letting it fly. As a senior at Paintsville High School - where his cousin J.R. VanHoose starred a decade ago - Slone averaged 25.1 points per game, led his team to the Sweet 16 and earned First Team All-State honors. Slone was a legend in the mountain region of Kentucky and became a fan favorite when he decided to walk-on at UK instead of taking a scholarship somewhere else.

"I'm playing for those people (back home) but I'm also playing for this university and I want to represent it in the best way possible," Slone said after scoring eight points in 16 minutes against MVSU. "When you go in (the game) you're just thinking that you want to win, do what you can to help the team win. That was my main goal. Playing with Kentucky across your chest means everything."

Play the way he did against the Delta Devils and he'll likely have the opportunity to leave his mark on Kentucky basketball much sooner than he may have expected.
I am very proud of Slones efforts for the wildcats he is a great ball player and really needs more playing time then what he is getting now. He has a lot of pride in what he does and is truly a great ball player even if he dosent get alot of playing time this season he will deffently step up next year.
WOW its awsome that just a few months ago I was watcjing this kid play in high school now he is getting vauebile minutes at the D-1 level. Congrats Landon.
Livin' a dream
Congratulations Landon! Your making us proud back home! FOR SURE!
It's a good feeling to see a mountain boy that you've watched play high school ball over the years be on the floor, playing minutes at Rupp Arena. I get more excited when he subs or scores than anyone else. To see him sub for the likes of Meeks, I mean that's an accomplishment. Congratulations Landon! You are making us proud. It may be off the wall but I wouldn't be surprised if he got some major minutes or started before the end of the season.
It's awesome to see Landon live every mountain kids dream as a kid.
He will be a good role player down the road.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:It's awesome to see Landon live every mountain kids dream as a kid.

Not only every kids dream, but his dream as well. Very great article to read about Landon.
-STAT- Wrote:Not only every kids dream, but his dream as well. Very great article to read about Landon.

I bet you get a special feeling when he gets in, even more when he scores, you being related to him and all.
Everytime he comes onto the court I wonder if he can hear me shouting make eastern ky proud!!!!! I love having Kentucky boys on the team let alone one from my area.
i love seing landon on the floor and imo he has to be better than porter lol
Keep working hard Landon!
I go to Paintsville and I enjoyed watching Landon every second on the court. So did all the other fans.
Thats basically what I watch the games for, wait and watch for Landon to get in the game. Its really awesome to watch a kid that you watched for four years in high school play for UK and do really well when he is in there. He is very talented and should very well be playing more than Porter and maybe even a couple other players.
He's such a good kid---way to go Lando!
wow..this is amazing. keep up the great work!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
jolly rancher Wrote:imo he has to be better than porter lol
I wouldnt go that far now!
RavenBoy Wrote:I wouldnt go that far now!

I wouldn't either. Not saying he's not good . Im just saying he's not as experienced.
Jshort5 Wrote:I bet you get a special feeling when he gets in, even more when he scores, you being related to him and all.

Yeah it is really exciting to see him get in and get playing time. I remember when he got in against MVSU and I had a feeling he was going to score, and when he made that first three, I went bananas! Growing up with him he always had a basketball in his hand saying, "Dad Im gonna play for Kentucky when Im older". Everyone he talked to he told them the same thing, and now he is living a lifelong, childhood dream that not a lot say they can. But like you said it really means so much to see him out there in the blue and white playing for UK!
sherman14 Wrote:I wouldn't either. Not saying he's not good . Im just saying he's not as experienced.

Landon has a chance to be much better than Porter if given the chance. Landon and a couple others should get half of the minutes that Porter plays right now. Porter hasn't shown anybody anything since he came to Kentucky.
Landon has a bright future
Great to see him doing good............I really think he'll be an impact player when he's an upper classman and gets some exp.