Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky 88 Mississippi Valley State 65
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final
Nice to see Landon getting plenty of time today...IMO he needs to be playing over Porter...
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Nice to see Landon getting plenty of time today...IMO he needs to be playing over Porter...

I can agree with that, but I would about prefer anyone starting over Porter except for Carter. Smile
ComfortEagle Wrote:I can agree with that, but I would about prefer anyone starting over Porter except for Carter. Smile
:lmao: agreed, however that is still a close run (Carter for Porter) lmao
It was so exciting to see Landon playing today. I was cheering for him the whole time. lol
Welp Over All I Thought It Was A Scrappy Played Game, But A Win Is A Win.. On The Other Hand I Was Glad That Slone Got Some PT And A Few Points..

Im gonna take some heat for this but I was glad that Jared Carter get in the score book..He takes alot of heat from the fans...He's got heart

Patrick had a nice game but they are gonna have to learn that he has to get more touches
Good to see Slone get his name in the scoring column. I was listening to the game on the radio, and if I'm not mistaken Landon was the first one off the bench in tonights game???????
Landon played double figures in minutes, scored 8pts and from what I saw had 0 turnovers, lets see Porter or Slone. Pretty easy choice for me. Slone will get better, and Porter obviously has reached his peak.
I thought Jarred Carter did a pretty good job today.
Congrats Cats. Way to bounce back from the Miami loss and also way to honor Keightley.
i enjoyed watching this game just because of slones minutes it was awesome to see a 15th region boy out there..........for the record watching micheal porter play baskeball makes me want to cry hes soooooooo bad
No surprise here, UK is just more powerful than Mississippi Valley.
Glad to see Lando gettin some playing time and scoring some points. He could do that more if he got the chance, and i think he proved that today. Lets see now if BCG will realize that and pull Porter out cause he is HORRIBLE. He even sucked today against MVS's bench players toward the end of the game.
kybaseball Wrote:I thought Jarred Carter did a pretty good job today.

Jarred Carter and Mike Porter both need to
be at the end of the bench and only play
if U.K is up by 30pts in other words don't
play them at all.
Porter is the best point gaurd UK has. I really don't understand why he takes so much heat. He is a much better ball handler than Slone and plays with twice the heart that Liggins does. I like the guy. He is not the most talented player in the world but he gives more effort and works harder than anyone else on the UK team.

Patterson does need more touches but some of it is his own fault. When he post up he does not seal off his man very well. He works hard but he needs to understand angles and positioning so the perimeter guys can get him the ball.
FBALL Wrote:Porter is the best point gaurd UK has. I really don't understand why he takes so much heat. He is a much better ball handler than Slone and plays with twice the heart that Liggins does. I like the guy. He is not the most talented player in the world but he gives more effort and works harder than anyone else on the UK team.
Have you watched UK play any at all this year? Liggins is head and shoulders better than Porter. Liggins brings a spark to this team that Porter doesn't. He shoots better, dribbles better, he penetrates, and is a great passer. He also gets to the foul line. Liggins reminds me of a taller Rajon Rondo. No way should Liggins play behind Porter. As a matter of fact, Slone should play over Porter just based on his shooting and better defensive abilities.
BCF4L Wrote:Have you watched UK play any at all this year? Liggins is head and shoulders better than Porter. Liggins brings a spark to this team that Porter doesn't. He shoots better, dribbles better, he penetrates, and is a great passer. He also gets to the foul line. Liggins reminds me of a taller Rajon Rondo. No way should Liggins play behind Porter. As a matter of fact, Slone should play over Porter just based on his shooting and better defensive abilities.
Yeah I've watched. I watched last night. Porter runs the team better than anybody else on the roster.

Yes Liggins has much more talent but has an attitude right now and makes very poor on the court decisions. There is no doubt about the potential there. He does bring a spark off of the bench but he has to grow up. He is not as quick and athletic as Rondo. Not even close.

Slone is a better shooter than Porter but is not as good a ball handler, passer and is nowhere close to as pesky as Porter is on defense. Porter should start and obviously the only ones opinion that counts thinks so too.

Porter and Harris (when he returns) should both start. They bring a toughness and steadiness that this team needs.
I just got off the phone with my brother and he told me what the Kentucky Kernel said about the game situation, and this is what was mentioned about Landon Slone....

Just over three minutes into the game, UK added its final potent ingredient to the elixir. The first man off the bench tonight wasn’t heralded freshmen DeAndre Liggins or Darius Miller. It wasn’t sophomore Josh Harrellson. It was freshman walk-on and Paintsville, Ky., native Landon Slone.
“I was a little surprised that Coach Gillispie called me to go in the game tonight,” Slone said. “I know I have to be ready whenever he calls my name.”
Just before the half, the Cats were nursing a four-point lead behind six points from Slone, the Cats’ leading scorer at the time.
“He plays hard and shot the ball well today,” Gillispie said. “I think he can make shots and is used to scoring points, but more importantly, he plays hard and that is why he was in there early today.”
On a night when Unforgettable Sean Woods was in the house, the Rupp Arena crowd was full of memories of that famous team with a former Paintsville High School standout on the floor, just like Unforgettable John Pelphrey.
When asked how they were celebrating in Paintsville today, Slone was coy.
“I’m not sure, but I got a lot of text messages when I got back to the locker room after the game.”

(Rest of the article is at http://kykernel.com/2008/12/07/column-su...#more-9245 )
I loved seeing Landon in the game and getting some minutes early. Team still looks confussed on the offensive side alot of the time. Porter is not the best guard on the team. I'd rather see almost anyone else out there, but I have to say I like Porters toughness.
Just for the record I don't think that anyone ever said Porter was the best gaurd on the team. He is not. Neither is Slone. But they, along with Harris, play and practice harder than anyone else. That is why they are in the game.
FBALL Wrote:Porter is the best point gaurd UK has. I really don't understand why he takes so much heat. He is a much better ball handler than Slone and plays with twice the heart that Liggins does. I like the guy. He is not the most talented player in the world but he gives more effort and works harder than anyone else on the UK team.

Patterson does need more touches but some of it is his own fault. When he post up he does not seal off his man very well. He works hard but he needs to understand angles and positioning so the perimeter guys can get him the ball.

Let The record show.

I rest my case.

At least know what you have said or typed.
OffTheHook Wrote:Let The record show.

I rest my case.

At least know what you have said or typed.

Would you prefer I said most talented. He is not. If Meeks is a guard then he definitely is not. If Miller is a gaurd he most definitely is not. He is not as talented as Liggins either.

What he is, is the point gaurd that has the best understanding of how to run the team and probably the hardest worker as well.

He is not the most talented. We all know that. He does have the best attitude IMO. He is not great and if Liggins or anybody else performed better then they should start. But nobody has yet.

We can twist words or statements to mean anything we want. I think by the posts on here it is pretty clear that I feel he is a bluecollar player who just tries to do everything that he is coached to do. Not that he is the most talented player on the team. He doesn't try to do things he can't. I like Michael Porter. I'd take him on my team any day of the week.

I hope that clears it up for you.
Liggins, in his last 3 games, has scored 44 points. That is an average of 14.7 points. Michael Porter all year only has 27 points total. Liggins has a better FG% with more shot attempts, he's been to the line for 22 FT's compared to Porters 5, he has more rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, and points. Liggins has 5 more TO's than Porter but double the assists of Porter. IMO, there is no comparison between the two. Porter is as good as he's going to get. The sky is the limit for Liggins. And remember, Liggins is a freshman compared to Porter being a Junior. There is no excuse for Porter to be bringing the ball down the floor. Heck, he shouldn't even be out there period.
BCF4L Wrote:Liggins, in his last 3 games, has scored 44 points. That is an average of 14.7 points. Michael Porter all year only has 27 points total. Liggins has a better FG% with more shot attempts, he's been to the line for 22 FT's compared to Porters 5, he has more rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, and points. Liggins has 5 more TO's than Porter but double the assists of Porter. IMO, there is no comparison between the two. Porter is as good as he's going to get. The sky is the limit for Liggins. And remember, Liggins is a freshman compared to Porter being a Junior. There is no excuse for Porter to be bringing the ball down the floor. Heck, he shouldn't even be out there period.

How many times did Liggins jack up a three pointer the last couple of games before even working the ball around for a good shot?

The answer is too many. Which bought him a ticket on the bench.

Porter does not, nor do I believe, will he ever have impressive stats. He is absolutely not as physically talented as Liggins either. What he does give is steadiness and effort at the point gaurd spot that does not show up in statistics. He does not force shots, he does not drive to the basket and draw fouls because he can't and he understands that. He plays within himself and tries to manage the game.

Yeah if Liggins ever cuts out the silly mistakes, more than questionable shot selection, and at times poor attitude he should start. That time has not come yet though.
FBALL Wrote:Would you prefer I said most talented. He is not. If Meeks is a guard then he definitely is not. If Miller is a gaurd he most definitely is not. He is not as talented as Liggins either.

What he is, is the point gaurd that has the best understanding of how to run the team and probably the hardest worker as well.

He is not the most talented. We all know that. He does have the best attitude IMO. He is not great and if Liggins or anybody else performed better then they should start. But nobody has yet.

We can twist words or statements to mean anything we want. I think by the posts on here it is pretty clear that I feel he is a bluecollar player who just tries to do everything that he is coached to do. Not that he is the most talented player on the team. He doesn't try to do things he can't. I like Michael Porter. I'd take him on my team any day of the week.

I hope that clears it up for you.

No one is twisting words.

Just pointing out what you said. Not questioning the kids heart and we can all appreciate a kid that works very hard. But, sometimes the hardest worker isn't the man for the job.

By the way. Was awesome to see Lando actually get some time and make it count. Feels good to see those hometown boys in the UK Blue!
FBALL Wrote:How many times did Liggins jack up a three pointer the last couple of games before even working the ball around for a good shot?

Porter does not, nor do I believe, will he ever have impressive stats. He is absolutely not as physically talented as Liggins either. What he does give is steadiness and effort at the point gaurd spot that does not show up in statistics. He does not force shots, he does not drive to the basket and draw fouls because he can't and he understands that. He plays within himself and tries to manage the game.

Yeah if Liggins ever cuts out the silly mistakes, more than questionable shot selection, and at times poor attitude he should start. That time has not come yet though.
I know the shot you are referring to and yes it was a bad shot, I admit that much. But that was only one shot. He hasn't thrown up many bad shots. I look at it like this, if Meeks and Patterson aren't hitting, then someone has to step up and hit a shot.
BCF4L Wrote:I know the shot you are referring to and yes it was a bad shot, I admit that much. But that was only one shot. He hasn't thrown up many bad shots. I look at it like this, if Meeks and Patterson aren't hitting, then someone has to step up and hit a shot.

The first half against Miami was the worst the entire team had looked all year. Led by Liggins. They settled for early jump shots instead of running any resemblence of an offense. Liggins was 0-8 that game on 3 point attempts. Most of which were way too early in the shot clock and didn't need to be taken.

Like I said. I like Porter. No he does not have as much talent as most UK players. But the guy takes alot of grief from fans that he doesn't deserve. He gives more effort than anyone else and only tries to do what he can to help the team.

Yeah I would rather have him as a sub too. But right now nobody is taking that starting spot away from him. You can't give it to Liggins on potential.
FBALL Wrote:The first half against Miami was the worst the entire team had looked all year. Led by Liggins. They settled for early jump shots instead of running any resemblence of an offense. Liggins was 0-8 that game on 3 point attempts. Most of which were way too early in the shot clock and didn't need to be taken.

Like I said. I like Porter. No he does not have as much talent as most UK players. But the guy takes alot of grief from fans that he doesn't deserve. He gives more effort than anyone else and only tries to do what he can to help the team.

Yeah I would rather have him as a sub too. But right now nobody is taking that starting spot away from him. You can't give it to Liggins on potential.
I think you have to give it to him on this statement alone. Liggins can get it done. I mean the guy is averaging over 14 points a game in his last 3 and he was just named the SEC Freshman of the Week. The dude gets it done when he is in the game. He is great on defense and his offense is starting to come around. Yes he was 0-8 from 3 last game, but Meeks was 2-11 against Miami. You will have a bad night every once in a while.
Liggins should start over Porter. There should be no discussion there!
FBALL Wrote:How many times did Liggins jack up a three pointer the last couple of games before even working the ball around for a good shot?

And that is where Liggins will learn, he is only a freshman and already has great poise. He may take a bad shot every now and then but I would rather go through those growing pains then to go through this same situation next year of having an inexperience point guard because lets face it Porter is not our man. He is tough as nails and I commend him on that. He is a solid guard coming off the bench to give us minutes. Face it though we need a player who is going to be able to learn and step up next season. You can teach a kid to be wiser during game situations but you cant teach a kid to be better when he has already peaked.
Pages: 1 2