Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: If... Then
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If every sport in the Commonwealth must participate in post season determinations of the Best in their respective sporting areas...ie: Basketball has its District, Regional, and State tournaments... How come every school in the Commonwealth isn't mandated to participate in KAPOS?
Here's another great question... Why did the KAPOS format change from game situation qualification to advance to KAPOS competition? I'm sure it was to increase a "gate" or satisfy someone who got their nose bended out of joint... but seriously, should a cheer leading award be actually based upon a squads actual ability to lead a crowd... in its determinations of who should qualify for advancement in competition?

I mean... a traditional cheer and a traditional dance or 2-1/2 minute routine in various size catagories is fine... but I am actually more impressed with a squad who can take a crowd and lead them into helping spark their team on the field or floor. If it takes a triple lindy to get the crowd "up".. incorporate that into the scheme as well.. but make the game situation a viable source for evaluation as well.:CheerleadIf your squad couldn't "cheer a thirsty goose to water", should they honestly be able to take a Top (5) cheer award home @ the State's Competition?
Does this thread point direction torwards me any? lol
Wink Now how did I know you'd be the FIRST to post on this one.....:Clap:
If...Then is VERY observant!!! HAHA...
I agree. This is another great topic!
I think KAPOS has tried to incorporate this with their "in-game" scoresheet that is used at all district, regional, and state basketball tournaments. However, when you put everything into that perspective, it is a shame that the squads that win at these levels don't advance further unless their ball team does. I have seen many squads, both in KY and WV, that are amazing competition squads but flat out suck at ball games.
"Flat out"... Huh...LOL!!!
I think we've all seen squads who are one or the other... but I truly believe that in order to reward game situation squads, the score sheet must be geared towards more point distribution in sidelines and pregame rather than placing a large chunk of points in floor cheers.
The basic question is.... DO WE BELIEVE THE KHSAA SHOULD MAKE ALL CHEER SQUADS PARTICIPATE IN KAPOS AT LARGE COMPETITIONS @ THEIR REGIONAL LEVELS... SINCE EVERY SPORT IN THE COMMONWEALTH MUST ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE SPORTING TOURNAMENTS @ THE CONCLUSION OF THEIR SEASON.
Definitely....yes....100% agreed. It would benefit everyone. Squads would get better because of competition, it would make for a better competition with everyone there, and would bring in more money.
IISnakE Wrote:"Flat out"... Huh...LOL!!!
I think we've all seen squads who are one or the other... but I truly believe that in order to reward game situation squads, the score sheet must be geared towards more point distribution in sidelines and pregame rather than placing a large chunk of points in floor cheers.

I've always thought this. I'd really like to see a lot of squads get more focused on their ballgame material and not just blow it off. Like I said, CHEER-LEADING is our main priority. Then competition.

IISnakE Wrote:The basic question is.... DO WE BELIEVE THE KHSAA SHOULD MAKE ALL CHEER SQUADS PARTICIPATE IN KAPOS AT LARGE COMPETITIONS @ THEIR REGIONAL LEVELS... SINCE EVERY SPORT IN THE COMMONWEALTH MUST ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE SPORTING TOURNAMENTS @ THE CONCLUSION OF THEIR SEASON.

Definitely!!
I think squads should remember what their first priority is- cheering their teams on to victory- and be rewarded for it. I really like this idea.
KAPOS actually has a process for amending items just like this... you must submit an idea and during the Summer they meet and vote on "proposals" for improvement. www.kapos.org has this type of information.

As far as mandating all squads to participate, this must come from the KHSAA and therefore all proposals should be submitted to them. www.khsaa.org

I believe if a "grassroots" "write-in" campaign was begun... this might actually have a chance to "fly"... on both scores! (pardon the pun)