Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Potential...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am sure we all have watched squads with "potential" over the years and pondered to ourselves what is keeping these groups from meeting or eclipsing their goals or expectations based upoin their "potential". I see squads every year from try-out time to competition and/or tournament time and I know where they should/could be... it's vexing to see wasted talent and squandered opportunities. Makes me wonder on all aspects.

Here's the question:
Do squads still decide if they want to cheer to be competitive themselves or do they work hard to incorporate their pep clubs and actually boost spirit for their teams or do they try to do both or what?

You know, another good question is:

Who decides what type of squad one is going to have? Is it the "coach", the "school's administrator", the "cheerleaders" themselves, or a combo of "cheer parents, cheer leaders, the coach, and administrators"? Involving all stakeholders might be the best way to proceed orrr having the school set forth a policy with everyone entering the program knowing what they're signing on to do.

Let's hear how this one is handled from around the area!
Personally I thnk cheerleaders are there to cheer on their team and boost school spirit froremost. That should be the main priority. Don't get me wrong, I aboslutely loved competing, but I think a lot of squads have forgotten the reason they are there.

Before trying out, I knew my squad would compete. I knew I had to work hard and represent my school. I believe the decision to compete should come a lil bit from everywhere. First of all, the school administrator has to be up for it, then the coach has to be willing to put those countless hours in, the parents have to be willing to support their girls/guys emotionally, physically, and financially, and the cheerleaders have to want to compete. Everyone should have to agree on that. But I don't see why a school wouldn't want to compete.

And I fully agree about seeing these squads with great potential and then seeing nothing come out of it. I think it all depends on the coach and the drama level of the girls. The coach has to know how to handle the practices and such. It also depends on the girls. They have to put that effort in. You can't just want to be good and expect it to happen. They have to be dedicated and work towards their goals. And if those girls don't get along, then don't expect anything to happen.

good topic btw
Good topic.

If the girls on a squad have the potential and motivation to compete, then they should. This improves the morale and the overall talent of the squad for when they are cheering in a game. If a squad and the coaches decide that for that year they will compete, the cheerleaders should also know this before trying out, as it is hard and very stressful.

But this is a very good topic and a very debated topic.
And I fully agree about seeing these squads with great potential and then seeing nothing come out of it. I think it all depends on the coach and the drama level of the girls. The coach has to know how to handle the practices and such. It also depends on the girls. They have to put that effort in. You can't just want to be good and expect it to happen. They have to be dedicated and work towards their goals. And if those girls don't get along, then don't expect anything to happen.

good topic btw[/QUOTE]

i absolutly agree.:Thumbs: ... the team im on has this problem. we have soooooo much potential but i never see anything come out of it. i think one of the main reasons is the coach
I agree...it's all about the coach and keeping the girls interested and enthusiastic about cheering throughout the seasons.