Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Estill County Middle School
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Needing some information about this team. I recently heard from an old friend in Richmond that Estill Middle's head coach is a 19 year old kid, can anyone confirm this? I don't understand why this would be the case. Is this job so bad that no responsible adults would want it? It kind of scares me that 12 and 13 year old kids are looking up to a 19 year old for life long advice.:eek:
Now come on! A 19 yr old can coach FB. I am sure that they screened and Multi-interviewed this guy. If he is a responsible person, I see no harm in it.
it could be a smart move if the person just graduated from estill so he will have a better understanding of what the high school coach likes and it would make the tranistions from middle school to high school easier on the kids
I guess it can work out if he is a mature 19 year old. He just needs to remember that sometimes you have to be the bad guy and not the friend to them always. I guess some 30+ year old aren't much better, you have a coach from Bell punching a ref, adults being ejected each week somewhere around the state so if he's reliable, up to date on what the high school coach expects and has good assistants I see no problem with it.
Lambert #1 Wrote:I guess it can work out if he is a mature 19 year old. He just needs to remember that sometimes you have to be the bad guy and not the friend to them always. I guess some 30+ year old aren't much better, you have a coach from Bell punching a ref, adults being ejected each week somewhere around the state so if he's reliable, up to date on what the high school coach expects and has good assistants I see no problem with it.

That situations doesn't sound bad, but it sounds more like a fairy tale. How many 19 year olds are out there that are mature enough to be responsible for 20-30 middle school students, I'm sorry but I just don't see it. I understand he may have just graduated and understand the system his varsity coach is wanting implemented, but isn't there more to being a coach than just x's and o's, especially at the middle school level?
DoubleDubya,

In reality I probably agree with you BUT it may just work out. I emphasize greatly that he needs to be surrounded by some experienced and reliable assistants for it to work. I don't know the kid and yes it's huge undertaking for a 19 year old but who knows and I guess only time will tell. I'm from Letcher County and a few of our smaller schools in the past have had older gentlemen running their programs that never was successful. I say if he's willing to work hard give him a chance and he might just surprise some of you. I now for sure that if the parents and community get's behind him instead of second guessing him because of his age he will never succeed. I kind of think it's impressive that a young man of that age is willing to take on such a task when most 19 year old's are more interested in chasing girls and getting drunk with their buddies. Everybody has to get that first chance to amount to anything in the coaching ranks. Try it for one year and if he flops you move on, if not you have coach for a long time and that's hard to find now a days.
Yes, ECMS Football HEAD COACH
Yes, ECMS FB HEAD Coach is a young coach. He is dedicated to his players, a mentor, a friend, and understands what the middle school boys need to learn to be ready to play for ECHS. He played under Jones and was a great player who has made a great coach. He is a student at EKU, and also works a part time job. He is respected in our community and is an excellent role model to our boys, especially those who thought they had nothing to give after their high school football days were over. EVERY YEAR we have more players that want to come out and help with youth league, and middle school. We don't have a problem with it, so no one else should. Our coaches devote themselves to the youth of our community. They are teaching our boys more than just plays, offense and defense. They are teaching them to work together, to be responsible, and teaching to keep their heads up when they are getting their guts stomped out by another team that they will never have to face in high school because they are 2 or 3 classes difference. Coaches in the Estill County Football program, from youth league to the high school, are not only coaches, but they are teachers, neighbors, friends, pastors, and rooted to this community. They work together. They stick together. They protect and look out for each other. That is what they teach their players. That is what they practice. Ask and they will say, "Yes, I am my brothers' keeper." And they mean it.
I think it is GREAT,,, I feel that if schools would offer this to the kids who graduate and want to help the school it should be encouraged. I know it would not be good for them to come back and help at the high school level, but helping in the Junior league is a great way to keep kids active in their community. I had 3 asst coaches on my team this year, all who graduated from Russell and all were great coaches. One graduated in 2000, the other 2 graduated in 2007. As young men they were great, as coaches they were better.... As these young men return to our community after school or seeking jobs to start their life, we should try to continue to assist them in their endevors. We want them to break their necks and take risks on the field for our viewing pleasure... we should also continue to watch them as they grow. I think it is wonderful that Estill Co has allowed this to happen and I encourage other schools to encourage their grads to help out in the community if they are going to be there......
I wish the coach the best of luck....
DoubleDubya Wrote:That situations doesn't sound bad, but it sounds more like a fairy tale. How many 19 year olds are out there that are mature enough to be responsible for 20-30 middle school students, I'm sorry but I just don't see it. I understand he may have just graduated and understand the system his varsity coach is wanting implemented, but isn't there more to being a coach than just x's and o's, especially at the middle school level?

Remember, there are about 4 or 5 assts. helping him. It's not like he is there with them all by himself.
I think the last 3 or 4 post sums it up really well. Blitz43 and Devilologist said it pretty loud and clear. We expect so much of these kids when they are in high school but expect nothing after we use them for 4 years of our enjoyment. We owe it to these young men to give them our support in whatever they choose to do and if this includes them wanting to give back to their community by coaching we should be more than willing to give them that chance. Good luck to the young Estill County coach and I hope he is successful.
I think its great what this young man is doing for not only the kids of Estill County, but the game of football as well. I remember watching this young man play, and I've seen him coach a game or two over the last couple of years. One thing you will never be able to say about this coach is that he doesn't work hard. He has proved on the field, in the classroom, and in the coaching profession that he will put forth the effort needed and then some. I watched this young man from the time he was little (he is a year younger than my son) and he exemplifies leadership, and all of its qualities. I've seen it from him in many aspects of sports, from little league baseball, middle school basketball, high school football, and now coaching at the middle school and high school levels. I think it is great what he is doing for these kids, he is giving back, and he is also one of the most knowledgable in this area about the double wing due to running the offense as a player or coach for the last 7 years. He has no problem being a leader, trust me, he's pointed my son in the right direction a time or two. And I think it is amazing that he is attempting to coach two football teams while holding a part time job, and being a full time college student. This is not a situation people should have a problem with, this is something that should be highlighted. As some others have said with todays 19 year olds it's mostly about chasing women, and the consumption of alcohol, for this young man to show this much responsibility, and maturity is something that should be rewarded. Congratulations to all of his coaches, and parents, you should be proud of the young man you have molded.
DoubleDubya Wrote:Needing some information about this team. I recently heard from an old friend in Richmond that Estill Middle's head coach is a 19 year old kid, can anyone confirm this? I don't understand why this would be the case. Is this job so bad that no responsible adults would want it? It kind of scares me that 12 and 13 year old kids are looking up to a 19 year old for life long advice.:eek:

It's your closed mindedness that you should be scared of friend. Is it possible for a 19 year old to know more about football than a middle aged man? Absolutely! Is it possible for a 19 year old to know more about life than a middle aged man? Absolutely! Have you ever heard the phrase "wise beyond your years"? This "kid" is the epitome of that phrase! :mad:
After reading the last couple of posts about the young man I feel better about the situation, but not completely comfortable. Blitz43 brings up a good point about the assistant coaches being there to oversee everything, that eases my mind a bit, good luck to this young man.
Looks like the 19 year old may be on his way out as well.