Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 1) N. Carolina 77 - Kentucky 58
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Kentucky finishes up with 28 turnovers.

J. Meeks - 19pts 6 TO's
P. Patterson - 19pts 11rebs
P. Stevenson - 4pts 2 TO's
R. Harris - 15pts 6 TO's
M. Porter - 2pts 4assts 4 TO's
D. Miller - 0pts 5 TO's
D. Liggins - 0pts 7assts 4 TO's
J. Harrellson - 0pts 2 TO's

Turnovers really killed Kentucky today, I didn't think that they played that bad on defense, but the offense was horrendous. We simply don't know how to feed Patterson, we will never win any games if he doesn't get his touches, tonight he had to get them his self off of offensive rebounds. Meeks takes way too many shots early in the shot clock, at least move the ball around and eat some time off the clock before firing away.

Long story short, back-court is horrible, front-court is our strong point, but the back-court simply cannot feed the ball inside.
Well Dicky V. in his post game comments just now said UK just needs to bite the bullet and put Liggins in at PG. -----oh my word something he said I agree with.
That was a good game. One more game closer, by the end of the year. NC Wont be behide UK by that many. They get 19 closer last year. They might get 15 to 20 more closer this year. They done that with there best two players out.
I'm getting really annoyed by Meeks and his selfish play. I'd hate to break it to him but he's not the man on this squad, Patterson is so he needs to quit forcing all those BS shots and get the ball inside. Pathetic,He's a poor mans Joe Crawford at best. I believe he's got it in his head that hes something that he DEFINITLY isn't. Anyone will score taking 30 shots a game, bad shots mostly. But anyway I like the way Stevenson crashed the boards. I thought Harris has shown improvment although the 6TO's didn't look good. I won't even comment on Porter. Miller and Harrellson didn't have a chance to do anything.
Team ball will help kentucky more than anything. Also i believe a new starting line up is need as well. I say PG- Liggins, SG- Meeks SF Harris, PF Stevenson and C Patterson. I would really like to start Stewart because it seems to me that Perry plays much better off the bench.
cj2561 Wrote:That was a good game. One more game closer, by the end of the year. NC Wont be behide UK by that many. They get 19 closer last year. They might get 15 to 20 more closer this year. They done that with there best two players out.

If your talking about all time wins.. well UK has 1,966.. UNC just got 1,952.. 14 more and they become the winningest program in college basketball..

so I predict by the end of this season, Kentucky won't be able to say, the all time winningest program.. they'll be 2nd..
Turnovers killed us.....very sloppy game. Also, Meeks shot his wrist off and I don't think we got the ball down inside to Patterson enough early on.
mrfootball03 Wrote:If your talking about all time wins.. well UK has 1,966.. UNC just got 1,952.. 14 more and they become the winningest program in college basketball..

so I predict by the end of this season, Kentucky won't be able to say, the all time winningest program.. they'll be 2nd..

NC is closer then i think they was. I though UK have 1966 and NC 1945.
I agree that Liggins needs to be in at the point. There will be some growing pains but the team will be better off in the long run. Use Porter for spot duty and defense when they need some energy. He is not the guy I would want as my primary ball handler.
Porter is 10 times worse than Sheraye Thomas ever thought about being to me as a Kentucky fan! I would rather have Jared Carter bringing the ball upcourt, lol!
Do we even have any o plays?
Porter is playing awful, but it's not his fault he is on the floor. Blame the person playing him. No heart from this team at all tonight. They cut it to 13 points with about 3 minutes to go and then let UNC just walk in and score at will three straight times down the floor.

I think Meeks is still trying to shoot the ball from the bus. I love the kid, but geez throwing up that many shots contested was just pure selfish and sad.

This team has a lot of work to do if they have any chance at even making the tournament this year.
Uncle Fester Wrote:Porter is playing awful, but it's not his fault he is on the floor. Blame the person playing him. No heart from this team at all tonight. They cut it to 13 points with about 3 minutes to go and then let UNC just walk in and score at will three straight times down the floor.

I think Meeks is still trying to shoot the ball from the bus. I love the kid, but geez throwing up that many shots contested was just pure selfish and sad.

This team has a lot of work to do if they have any chance at even making the tournament this year.
Thank you, I thought after Crawford graduated that things would be more team oriented. The way he's been playing just makes me sick to my stomach, I won't comment on him anymore in this thread and I'll wait and see how the next game goes but when you have a all-american in the middle who can score at will when he gets the ball on the block and a player like Meeks, who would play very little if any on a team like UNC, is forcing up 30 shots I mean seriously! It's just not the way the game should be played. He's probabily the reason the team has no chemistry. If I was Patterson I'd kick his ***, not literally but you get my point. Its just hard to watch sometimes.
Warriors23RJ Wrote:Thank you, I thought after Crawford graduated that things would be more team oriented. The way he's been playing just makes me sick to my stomach, I won't comment on him anymore in this thread and I'll wait and see how the next game goes but when you have a all-american in the middle who can score at will when he gets the ball on the block and a player like Meeks, who would play very little if any on a team like UNC, is forcing up 30 shots I mean seriously! It's just not the way the game should be played. He's probabily the reason the team has no chemistry. If I was Patterson I'd kick his ***, not literally but you get my point. Its just hard to watch sometimes.

I believe Coach Gillespie has probably told him, that he will have to carry the team scoring slack left by Ramel and Joe. Hes took it as he will have to do it all. Patterson has got to learn to be the baby Shaq of Kentucky. Jodie needs to learn his role. He is a scorer, but needs to learn the difference between a good shot and a bad shot. He sees things as him being the only one who can score in the backcourt. (Sort of what Joe & Ramel did at times early on last year) He needs to learn to take good shots when they are there, penitrate and look for the open man, or work it into our bread and butter. (Patterson) I think Perry Stevenson is where he needs to be. He knows his role on this team is to support Patterson. We need a 3 guard to step up and be a solid role player. I just don't think Ramon Harris is that guy. He shows signs of maturing as a player sometimes, other times it looks as if he has went no where. I think Liggins once he gets over all the nervousness, and get more expierence will be a solid PG. Right now, while everyone is gaining expierence, we are going to be slim on scorers. We are just going to have to ride it out until we get that expierence and confidence. Its going to be tough as a UK fan, but it takes times like these that make those up times so good.

Also, Stevenson was crashing the boards on offense, something some of the other players should learn from him.

actually UNC has 1,951.. They need 15..

Kentucky actually out shot UNC 44% to UNC's 41%, but UK only put up 45 shots compared to NC's 70. 15-20 of those attempts probably came in transition from UK turnovers. You cut those turnovers down to 5-10 and there is your 19 point deficet. Its hard for Kentucky to match Carolina's shot attempts when your turning the ball over as soon as you step over mid court. They are just shooting themselves in the foot. We won't beat anyone spotting them 20 point.

Carolina now leads the series 21-10.. They've pretty much had our number.
UK needs wo wake up and start feeding PP the ball!! If they don't do that, they will lose most of their games!! They need to realize that PP is their best player.
Patterson is def. not getting enough touches. Jodie Meeks needs to quit throwing up them bull **** shots and Liggins needs to start at Pg. When NC gets healthy I really dont think a team in america will beat them.
. Meeks is an all-sec caliber guard. He has been forcing up some bad shots, but he is really our only scoring guard. Porter has no ability to score, as I am almost positive I could beat him in a game of HORSE. UNC outscored us by 17 with Porter in the game. They only outscored us by 2 with Liggins. One difference is talent, Stevenson and Harris are depended on way to much for minutes. At most they should be seeing 10-15 minutes a game, they are roll players. Meeks does need to tone it down a bit, but I think coach wants him to find his game. We need Meeks to score big, his shots will start going down, do remember he missed all of last year, and played little as a Freshman. We depend way too much on Freshman and Sophmores for everything, next year it won't be that way. I think it is evident Patterson is no where near ready for the NBA and probably will be here all 4 years. Look at how much Liggins improved from the VMI game to the UNC game, and thats stepping up the competition level 10 fold. This team will only get better, go back and look at these 3 coaches first 2 years at their new schools. Bill Self, Billy Donovan, and Ben Howland.

The talent level is going up and up, and the players are learning the system more and more. They had 28 turnovers and still held UNC to less than 80 pts, even without Hans UNC is a legit FF team. We just played the best team we will play all year. I'm not concerned at all. The rest of you UK fans need to chill out. If we want to be at the top again we need to support our team no matter what, and not act like ignorant rednecks every chance you get.
Horse Head Wrote:Do we even have any o plays?

Yep...overlook Patterson, and let Meeks drive and force up bad shots.

It was 8 min in the game before Patterson was even looked at on offense, and he was workin his butt off to get it.
WE HAVE TO CUT DOWN ON THE TURNOVERS!!! We have a total of 53 in the two games this season. Until we do that we will never win.
Ty Lawson was the difference; he was the best player on the floor...great point guard. Liggins did a pretty good job on him in the second half.
There is no discipline on this team at all. Meeks didnt hustle back down after the turnover to at least try to play some defense, and ******* leaves him in there. How is anyone else on this team supposed to get any experience riding the bench? Harrellson and Miller barely played at all. Gillispie is a friggin idiot, I dont care what anyone else says, the man just flat out can not coach at all. Patterson isnt as great as you all make him out to be either. Vitale said it himself last night, you cant stand around out there and expect to make an impact on the game, let alone get the ball thrown to you. He doesnt play defense at all, he just expects to be given the ball automatically. No wonder Meeks shoots so much, hes probably sick of all the Patterson hype as well. He was nothing until Mayo played with him in west virginia, thats the only reason he is where he is. One more thing, I am so sick of people saying joe crawford was a me player. If he was, you cant blame him, there wasnt much to work with last season and he and Bradley had to be the ones to take over games, and if not for them, UK wouldnt have won as many games as they won. Face it people, Patterson and Gillispie are way overhyped, and do not live up to their billing. This team will be lucky to win 15 games this year. They have the potential to win more but until coach numbnuts starts playing the right players and lets go of his pride, then they will continue to struggle.
I think Billy G better start taking a lot of heat. He may be a great recruiter, but he is still making some stupid moves. I mean Porter should be one of the last off the bench. After the first half Billy should have started Liggins in the second half. When something is not working you just have to make some moves.
I hate losing to North Carolina. I don't think it is wise to lose to VMI and Gardner Webb in Rupp Arena. However, it is November. It is just November.
Gillispie really needs to tell Meeks to holster the cannon. He took too many shots, too many because a good number of them were forced.

it was good to see Patterson actually get the ball down on the low block for a change, though.
U.K. just is terrible. I'm a WVU fan but my second favorite team is UK And if they don't make it to the tourney, which even though its november an't so good billy g, out!!! And as of right now he can start packing.
Well, i guess everyone forgot about the coach who does nothing but smile and cross his arms while standing next to the bench. Gillespie has the talent to be one of the best coaches in the game but needs to put some fire under those guys. Take Meeks out of the game when he just throws up some god awful shot and maybe he will learn to pass to someone else other than the goal. I would make Porter my water boy, we have to get some use out of that wasted scholarship. Take Ramon Harris and make him the 6th man and start a couple freshman ball players. If none of these things happen it will be a very long season for the men in blue.
I don't think anyone realizes how good Miller and Harrelson are. Why aren't these boys getting playing time!?
cards_athlete Wrote:I don't think anyone realizes how good Miller and Harrelson are. Why aren't these boys getting playing time!?

they did.. miller had a couple stupid turnover what little time he was in.. Harrelson played, but when he was in he really didnt make any impact.. looked scared
all of them seemed intimidated
mrfootball03 Wrote:they did.. miller had a couple stupid turnover what little time he was in.. Harrelson played, but when he was in he really didnt make any impact.. looked scared
all of them seemed intimidated
Yea but look at some of the other players that made even more mistakes than they did.
Maybe if they would get enough playing time, they wouldn't be so scared to mess up, and in return do something positive.
Once again before anymore of you morons keep calling for Gillispie to leave, look at the following 3 coaches records for their first 2 years at that school.

Bill Self-Just won a title If he would have been at UK you all would have been calling for him to leave
Billy Donovan-won back to back titles Same with Donovan
Ben Howland-3 straight FF's Same with Howland, Gillispie has done better then any of them did their first 2 years at UCLA, Kansas, and Florida.

Its not easy going into a place and installing a new system, especially when Tubby left very few SEC caliber players there.
EVen now we depend on players like Stevenson, who can't even dribble to play over 30 minutes a game. Guys like Harris too, who aren't very good. Porter is terrible. These guys are depended upon to play vital minutes. Gillispie has brought in better talent, but not every player can step up and lead his team like Derrick Rose as a freshman. Most players take a couple years until they are ready. Look at the recruits UK has coming in over the next few years. Our best recruit is 2012 Avery. That kid will be unreal, he can already 360 dunk and is just a freshman, not a 17 yr old freshman like Mayo either.

you all need to chill, losing to the number 1 team in the nation in Nov. when you depend on Freshmen and Soph's to win is not a big deal.

Every coach in the country talks about how good Gillispie is, yet some of you fans with your infinite wisdom in the world of college basketball coaching think he sucks. I'm sorry last year teams like San Diego and GW, had better talent than we did at the begining of the year. Heck SD beat Uconn. and they have Thabeet.
Pages: 1 2