Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Could UK pull the upset against North Carolina
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just read on yahoo sports that Marcus Ginyard (UNC starting guard) and Tyler Hansbrough will possibly be out on Tuesday when the Wildcats meet with the TarHeels.
Here's the story

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/cont...CID=875268

I think if both players dont play then Uk could take this one!!
If both of those players are out, then I believe we have a very good chance to win. Even with them, I expected UK to play well, and just maybe pull off the win. I kinda hope they do play, cuz it will show us just how far UK can go. Just my opinion.
With Hansbrough out they might have a shot but doubtful. If he he plays the game wont even be close. It just seems like UNC is way past everyone right now.
I don't think Hansbrough will make a difference. He has been held to under 10 points in 2 of the last 3 games that he has played against UK. He has been relatively ineffective. For UK to win this game, it will depend solely on their perimeter defense, something that UK has been struggling with up to this point. It will help that Ginyard is out, but with Greene stepping in for Ginyard, you're not going to get much relief. Hopefully UK can pull this one off, but I really don't see it happening. Maybe if this game was later in the year, but where it's the 2nd game for the cats, it will be very difficult for them.
hopefully though!!! ill be rooting for the cats there!!!
BCF4L Wrote:I don't think Hansbrough will make a difference. He has been held to under 10 points in 2 of the last 3 games that he has played against UK. He has been relatively ineffective. For UK to win this game, it will depend solely on their perimeter defense, something that UK has been struggling with up to this point. It will help that Ginyard is out, but with Greene stepping in for Ginyard, you're not going to get much relief. Hopefully UK can pull this one off, but I really don't see it happening. Maybe if this game was later in the year, but where it's the 2nd game for the cats, it will be very difficult for them.

Dumbest statement ever. If UK is going to win this game they will have to stop Hansbrough if he plays. If he doesn't then maybe they can focus on perimeter defense. If he does, it is going to be a looooooooong game. UNC by 15 at least.
I agree with BCF4L on this one. UK has contained Hansbough every time they have played, they forced other carolina players to make big plays. I would rather Hansbrough and Ginyard play so UK can beat UK with both in the lineup and maybe shut up all the ACC buffs like Vitale and Packer and anyone else that praises the conference and the schools of UNC and Duke. I honestly think this UK team can beat UNC and other teams like them. f they play like we all know they can, they can beat anyone. I think UK now has the frontcourt play it has sorely been missing over the years. Harrellson, Stevenson and Patterson can and should easily handle Hansbrough, the only thing that can hurt them is the refs calling everything Hansbroughs way. Thats the big factor in the game, and everyone knows it. As far as the rest of carolinas players, I really believe our players can handle them as well. Just hope Meeks doesnt get 3 happy and take us out of the game before it starts.
frankie21 Wrote:Dumbest statement ever. If UK is going to win this game they will have to stop Hansbrough if he plays. If he doesn't then maybe they can focus on perimeter defense. If he does, it is going to be a looooooooong game. UNC by 15 at least.
Yeah, that's the dumbest statement ever. It would help if you knew what you were talking about. Hansbrough hasn't been a factor against the Cats. They haven't done anything special to stop him and they don't need to. Stats don't lie. Take a look.

2005-2006- 33 minutes and 6 points. 1 of 5 from the field. 4 points at the free throw line.
2006-2007- 30 minutes and 7 points. 2 of 10 from the field. 3 points from the free throw line.
2007-2008- 32 minutes and 14 points. 2 of 8 from the field. 10 of which came from the free throw line.

You can call me dumb all you want, but when there are facts that back up what I am saying, that makes you the dumb one. :thumpsup:
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:I agree with BCF4L on this one. UK has contained Hansbough every time they have played, they forced other carolina players to make big plays. I would rather Hansbrough and Ginyard play so UK can beat UK with both in the lineup and maybe shut up all the ACC buffs like Vitale and Packer and anyone else that praises the conference and the schools of UNC and Duke. I honestly think this UK team can beat UNC and other teams like them. f they play like we all know they can, they can beat anyone. I think UK now has the frontcourt play it has sorely been missing over the years. Harrellson, Stevenson and Patterson can and should easily handle Hansbrough, the only thing that can hurt them is the refs calling everything Hansbroughs way. Thats the big factor in the game, and everyone knows it. As far as the rest of carolinas players, I really believe our players can handle them as well. Just hope Meeks doesnt get 3 happy and take us out of the game before it starts.

I would have to agree with you, great post. Hansborough or no Hansborough, UNC has a ton of playmakers, and also the best recruiting class in the country so they will have some young impact players, but the good thing is, so will Kentucky, something we didn't have last season. Harrellson has brought us something that we haven't had in years. A big man who can shoot in the high post which will take a lot of pressure off of Patterson. But like someone said earlier he would be better coming off the bench. Got to have Perry in there for his defensive presence and rebounding, then bring Harrellson in to score some points. Meeks will not get 3 happy at all. He knows how big of a game this is, especially it being the 2nd game of the year. They all know they have to get off to a good start at the first of the season and this game will be a big test for UK.
NYY10 Wrote:Just read on yahoo sports that Marcus Ginyard (UNC starting guard) and Tyler Hansbrough will possibly be out on Tuesday when the Wildcats meet with the TarHeels.
Here's the story

If Hansborough and Ginyard are outy when these two teams meet then UK WILL take this one.Cool
I think UK is better than everyone thinks. UK gets the win.
DevilsWin Wrote:I think UK is better than everyone thinks. UK gets the win.

were did you get this info? They will be a very good team this year but there not ready for N.C. i wish they were but not this year.
It dose not matter who plays and who dont, uk wont win this game, wont even be close probably.
dore20 Wrote:It dose not matter who plays and who dont, uk wont win this game, wont even be close probably.

I hate to say it but your probley right.
NYY10 Wrote:Just read on yahoo sports that Marcus Ginyard (UNC starting guard) and Tyler Hansbrough will possibly be out on Tuesday when the Wildcats meet with the TarHeels.
Here's the story

With a young team it is hard to project how they will play....It should be a great college backetball game and the crowd will be LOUD!
I don't think Harrellson will get as much PT as everyone thinks, he barely saw the floor in their last exhibition game.
BCF4L Wrote:I don't think Hansbrough will make a difference. He has been held to under 10 points in 2 of the last 3 games that he has played against UK. He has been relatively ineffective. For UK to win this game, it will depend solely on their perimeter defense, something that UK has been struggling with up to this point. It will help that Ginyard is out, but with Greene stepping in for Ginyard, you're not going to get much relief. Hopefully UK can pull this one off, but I really don't see it happening. Maybe if this game was later in the year, but where it's the 2nd game for the cats, it will be very difficult for them.
The only reason he didn't make a difference was because UK focused on him the entire game. If he is out then the cats will be able to concentrate more on other players. Just because he isn't putting up the numbers doesn't mean that he isn't giving the cats fits. That is ridiculous to say it doesn't matter if the best player in college basketball is on the court. That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
dblg11 Wrote:The only reason he didn't make a difference was because UK focused on him the entire game. If he is out then the cats will be able to concentrate more on other players. Just because he isn't putting up the numbers doesn't mean that he isn't giving the cats fits. That is ridiculous to say it doesn't matter if the best player in college basketball is on the court. That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Patrick Patterson was the only one that guarded him the whole game. Patrick was only a freshman at the time and he handled him easily. UK's sole focus was not on Hansbrough.
It would be a great way to start out the season.
UK has no chance in this game 20+ unc.
courtdog Wrote:were did you get this info? They will be a very good team this year but there not ready for N.C. i wish they were but not this year.
I've saw them play. What else do you need to know.
BCF4L Wrote:Patrick Patterson was the only one that guarded him the whole game. Patrick was only a freshman at the time and he handled him easily. UK's sole focus was not on Hansbrough.
That's also ridiculous. I think everyone that plays UNC this season will be focusing on Hansborough. He is simply good. All of college basketball knows it. That would be like NFL defenses saying they have a good secondary and their not worried about Payton Manning. If UK is not worried about Hansborough it will be a long game for the cats.
BCF4L Wrote:Patrick Patterson was the only one that guarded him the whole game. Patrick was only a freshman at the time and he handled him easily. UK's sole focus was not on Hansbrough.
Don't get worked up... You can't argue with people that didn't evem watch the game last year.

BCF4L is dead on when taling about how they have played Hansborough. Yes he isa great player but stats don't lie.

Last year UK couldn't hit a shot either. That helped in us getting beat. This year if we make a few and hold them a little UK can win.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Don't get worked up... You can't argue with people that didn't evem watch the game last year.

BCF4L is dead on when taling about how they have played Hansborough. Yes he isa great player but stats don't lie.

Last year UK couldn't hit a shot either. That helped in us getting beat. This year if we make a few and hold them a little UK can win.
I agree that Uk has held him. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that if UK doesn't key on him he will eat the defense up. That's all I was saying. I did watch every UK game last year. I'm not saying that they can't beat NC but I was just saying Hansborough is still good no matter if he played not up to par vs. the cats. He can go for 30 at any time. Just don't think because he had a less than average game last year doesn't mean he will this year.
I do know what I am talking about and I did watch the game.
I'm not saying Hansbrough isn't any good. He is a beast. But so is Patterson, and thanks to PPat, UK doesn't have to alter their game plan when playing UNC.
BCF4L Wrote:I'm not saying Hansbrough isn't any good. He is a beast. But so is Patterson, and thanks to PPat, UK doesn't have to alter their game plan when playing UNC.
I totally agree. Patterson is a beast. Hansborough is very good at moving without the ball and is a very good passer for a big guy. It will take more than one player to keep Hansborough from being a factor even if that player is as dominating as Patterson.
Let me tell you all something, the only reason Hansborough is any good is because of the refs. Anyone that watches UNC games knows that. He gets all the calls to go his way. Every major superstar in any sport gets the calls their way. Jordan got em in the NBA, like Lebron and Kobe do now; Barry Bonds when he playes baseball, and now Pujols, Rodriguez and a few other players; Tebow at florida, any USC player, and Brady before he got injured in the NFL, as well as Manning, and probably Favre as well. For some reason the ACC is and more recently the Big East conference gets all the love and glory while other major conference teams get the shaft. Thats just the way sports goes, and anyone that doesnt see that is crazy. This may be a little off topic but i dont care, but does anyone remember when George Foreman fought that German guy back about 12-14 years ago. The german kicked Foremans ***, but who got the win, Foreman, and its because of who he is. He clearly lost the fight but his name got him the win. Thats the way it is in any aspect of life as well as sports, it will never change. I love almost all sports but they all need some work and need to be fair. Im not whining or anything, im just telling it how it is.
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:Let me tell you all something, the only reason Hansborough is any good is because of the refs. Anyone that watches UNC games knows that. He gets all the calls to go his way. Every major superstar in any sport gets the calls their way. Jordan got em in the NBA, like Lebron and Kobe do now; Barry Bonds when he playes baseball, and now Pujols, Rodriguez and a few other players; Tebow at florida, any USC player, and Brady before he got injured in the NFL, as well as Manning, and probably Favre as well. For some reason the ACC is and more recently the Big East conference gets all the love and glory while other major conference teams get the shaft. Thats just the way sports goes, and anyone that doesnt see that is crazy. This may be a little off topic but i dont care, but does anyone remember when George Foreman fought that German guy back about 12-14 years ago. The german kicked Foremans ***, but who got the win, Foreman, and its because of who he is. He clearly lost the fight but his name got him the win. Thats the way it is in any aspect of life as well as sports, it will never change. I love almost all sports but they all need some work and need to be fair. Im not whining or anything, im just telling it how it is.

I'm not a UNC fan, but Hansborough gets every call, because he's a work horse down inside. He gets beat up every time down court to go after a ball. He's an actor thats what why he got a scholarship to earn points at the free throw line, rebound, and play uptight defense.
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:Let me tell you all something, the only reason Hansborough is any good is because of the refs. Anyone that watches UNC games knows that. He gets all the calls to go his way. Every major superstar in any sport gets the calls their way. Jordan got em in the NBA, like Lebron and Kobe do now; Barry Bonds when he playes baseball, and now Pujols, Rodriguez and a few other players; Tebow at florida, any USC player, and Brady before he got injured in the NFL, as well as Manning, and probably Favre as well. For some reason the ACC is and more recently the Big East conference gets all the love and glory while other major conference teams get the shaft. Thats just the way sports goes, and anyone that doesnt see that is crazy. This may be a little off topic but i dont care, but does anyone remember when George Foreman fought that German guy back about 12-14 years ago. The german kicked Foremans ***, but who got the win, Foreman, and its because of who he is. He clearly lost the fight but his name got him the win. Thats the way it is in any aspect of life as well as sports, it will never change. I love almost all sports but they all need some work and need to be fair. Im not whining or anything, im just telling it how it is.
Good post. But it doesn't matter why he is good. He is just good. haha. With the refs on his side it makes it that much more difficult because its 6 on 5. lol