Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best HS Gym In The State Of KY
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Who has the best gym in the state as for these things?

distance between the bleachers and the court
bleachers
concession and restroom facilities
playing floor
back boards and rims
scoreboards
locker rooms
crowd atmosphere

Or just list your favorite.
Morton Combs Athletic Complex @ Knott County Central hands down!
Rather watch a game at Knott than anywhere. Wish they would open up the upper area from concession to view game.
UKisN1 Wrote:Rather watch a game at Knott than anywhere. Wish they would open up the upper area from concession to view game.

That has been talked about.... safety issue will probaly keep it from happening.
Perry Central is a nice gym with location and parking, but I dont like the crowd being so close to the court. Knott has the best layout keeping the crowd away from the court. There isnt too many gyms in the state with the layout of Knott's. Scott County has a very nice gym also!
In my opinion, almost every high school gym in Kentucky has a major design flaw. The first 6 rows of the upper arena are wasted. The views are obstructed by the railings and the foot traffic on the walkway that seperates the upper and lower arena.

Knott County Central has a nice gym. However, for us older guys the lack of chair back seats is a concern. Lexington Catholic has a very pretty gym. However, why they would build a gym of this size and not install any chairbacks is beyond me.

Scott County is also very pretty with all the red and the state championship banners. SC is the best basketball atmosphere of any high school gym I have been to in the state. My complaint with SC is 1/2 the lower arena is reserved for season ticket holders. The other half is full for most games before the JV game starts. So unless you want to arrive 2 hours before game time you have to seat behind the basket with the students or in the upper arena.

From the pictures, the new Harlan County gym has it all. They have chairbacks and there is no walkway between the upper and lower arena. I hope there is enough parking for big events.
[
Knott County Central has a nice gym. However, for us older guys the lack of chair back seats is a concern.

Have you even been in KCC's MortonCombs Athletic Complex...Over 800 chairback seats.... and even in the bleachers NOT a bad seat in the house.. MCAC was renovated 4 yrs ago new lights new scoreboard and ceiling and walls painted....still the best around! And can actually seat 5,000 fans!
Only thing I hate about Kcc gym is the wood benches, my back kills me after sitting there. Also the lights are the same brightness in the stands as the court. They need to make it a lil darker in the stands. I do like how they put a clock and lights on the backboard though.
killerb Wrote:[
Knott County Central has a nice gym. However, for us older guys the lack of chair back seats is a concern.

Have you even been in KCC's MortonCombs Athletic Complex...Over 800 chairback seats.... and even in the bleachers NOT a bad seat in the house.. MCAC was renovated 4 yrs ago new lights new scoreboard and ceiling and walls painted....still the best around! And can actually seat 5,000 fans!

Yes. I have been there, at the WYMT tournament. Apparantly I had forgotten about the chairbacks. Sorry.
I always liked Knott County's gym... those wood seats were a killer ..LOL.. but those frito bags with chili and cheese were more than enough to compensate for the discomfort! They also have some fannnntastic home made candies over in that part of the country too! Love the WYMT atmosphere there!
Shelby Valleys boy's locker room is very nice. They just got new floor put down too, so it looks pretty good !
killerb Wrote:Morton Combs Athletic Complex @ Knott County Central hands down!
Good facility, but they have a huge problem getting 5000 people back on the road. There's only one exit route from their gym. Everything bottlenecks at the one outlet. We waited over an hour in traffic to get back on the highway at a region tourney once. That's why I can't rank Knott's gym very high. They need to do something about that.
Perry Central has a much better venue. And so does Powell County, as far as traffic is concerned. It seats a lot, but that's about it.
No love for Prestonsburg's gymnasium? Past 58th district tournaments & 15th region tournaments held there have been classics and it comfortably seats a capacity crowd. Parking is good, concessions are on the stage and easily accessible, bathrooms are big and clean, and the rim/backboard is some of the best you can get.
I have always loved Pike Central's. I think everything is just right. I do wish they would use their ticket booth and maybe move the concession stand, but all in all I believe it is the best to watch/play a game. It is very bright and colorful. The seats are comfortable and at a good distance. There is plenty of parking. The band isn't right in your ear but still close enough to keep the spirit up. It is definitely my favorite!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:No love for Prestonsburg gymnasium? Past 58th district tournaments & 15th region tournaments held there have been classics and it comfortably seats a capacity crowd. Parking is good, concessions are on the stage and easily accessible, bathrooms are big and clean, and the rim/backboard is some of the best you can get.
The only thing I hate about Pburg gym is that 2 inch incline to get up on the court, tripped over that ever time.
RavenBoy Wrote:The only thing I hate about Pburg gym is that 2 inch incline to get up on the court, tripped over that ever time.
Smile

That would be the one fault in our gymnasium.
killerb Wrote:Morton Combs Athletic Complex @ Knott County Central hands down!

:dontthink

I take it you've not seen Harlan County's new gym.
HC BLACK BEARS Wrote::dontthink

I take it you've not seen Harlan County's new gym.

Post some pics.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Post some pics.

When I get some pics I will post them. :thumpsup:

It's unbelievable!
The Fieldhouse at Mason County and Montgomery County's new gym. Also agree with the poster that listed Lex. Cath. and Scott Co.
I would have to say that Scott County has a terrific gym, best money that Toyota has spent, besides players
Knott County gym is out standing, bad parking lot area though, to small needs to open up a little better. Really rough to get in and out of there.
My favorite gym in the 15th is South Floyds. If you prefer to sit courtside, you can park, walk in a door and sit in the first row. If your preference is sitting on the top row, you can park in a different lot and walk right in to the top row. Concessions needs to be on both sides though. Well lit and could hold a good size crowd.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:My favorite gym in the 15th is South Floyds. If you prefer to sit courtside, you can park, walk in a door and sit in the first row. If your preference is sitting on the top row, you can park in a different lot and walk right in to the top row. Concessions needs to be on both sides though. Well lit and could hold a good size crowd.

Say what?????That's a new one on me.
Bath Co is a great small gym!
Scott county is the best though!
kybaseball Wrote:Say what?????That's a new one on me.
You can park out behind the school walk in a door and be down at court level, or you can come in at the front of the school and walk right in to the top level. The only way you have do the steps is if you prefer to sit in the middle.
kybaseball Wrote:Who has the best gym in the state as for these things?

distance between the bleachers and the court
bleachers
concession and restroom facilities
playing floor
back boards and rims
scoreboards
locker rooms
crowd atmosphere

Or just list your favorite.

We at least have to have the COOLEST gym.The old Coliseum is one of a kind.Like stepping back in time.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:No love for Prestonsburg's gymnasium? Past 58th district tournaments & 15th region tournaments held there have been classics and it comfortably seats a capacity crowd. Parking is good, concessions are on the stage and easily accessible, bathrooms are big and clean, and the rim/backboard is some of the best you can get.

Wow.. didnt remember it looking like this lol.. But yea I would have to say Pburg has the best in the 15th~~
i don't know alot about many other gym's but if there is one that beats harlan county's i would be suprised!!!!!
Letcher County Central
Knott Country Central
Belfry
Pike Central
East Ridge
Lexington Catholic
Owensboro
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7