Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry @ Johnson Central
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
I believe it will be a great game between two very good teams. I am going to go with Belfry by a TD. JC has more than enough weapons to get the job done, but Belfry's technique at each position(especially the OL) will be the deciding factor in this game. JC is big and strong up front but when two teams are even I will go with the team that has better technique.
I believe the TE's will have the biggest impact in this game. The Tight Ends that are able to turn out and reach block will allow their team to move the ball and control the ball.
I do believe JC will have more success throwing the ball. If Belfry can keep from giving up the big plays through the air, then they should be ok.
Also, leadership on the field and not turning the ball over are always determining factors in big games.
SportsKing Wrote:I believe it will be a great game between two very good teams. I am going to go with Belfry by a TD. JC has more than enough weapons to get the job done, but Belfry's technique at each position(especially the OL) will be the deciding factor in this game. JC is big and strong up front but when two teams are even I will go with the team that has better technique.
I believe the TE's will have the biggest impact in this game. The Tight Ends that are able to turn out and reach block will allow their team to move the ball and control the ball.
I do believe JC will have more success throwing the ball. If Belfry can keep from giving up the big plays through the air, then they should be ok.
Also, leadership on the field and not turning the ball over are always determining factors in big games.

Are you saying that Johnson Central doesn't have a good O-Line? The O-Line is what lets the backs of any team be able to gain any yards what-so-ever. With the amount of Yards JC has gotten this season I would say they have a very good and well coached offensive line.
SportsKing Wrote:I believe it will be a great game between two very good teams. I am going to go with Belfry by a TD. JC has more than enough weapons to get the job done, but Belfry's technique at each position(especially the OL) will be the deciding factor in this game. JC is big and strong up front but when two teams are even I will go with the team that has better technique.

Wow, now that's an interesting analysis. Just wondering how you came up with all that.

First off coach JC's line coach, Coach Burchett, is regarded as one of (if not the ) best in the business. So I would say the line for JC is fundamentally sound.

Second, JC has only passed the ball 16 times the whole season, so I dont know what would give you the impression that they are a big play through the air team.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Wow, now that's an interesting analysis. Just wondering how you came up with all that.

First off coach JC's line coach, Coach Burchett, is regarded as one of (if not the ) best in the business. So I would say the line for JC is fundamentally sound.

Second, JC has only passed the ball 16 times the whole season, so I dont know what would give you the impression that they are a big play through the air team.
I agree with ya on this one..neither team is known for passing (Although Drew has been very successful this year from the air) This will be a hard faught ground game. Straight up the middle..."TO YOU and THROUGH YOU!" kinda game...I do feel that the lines on both sides of the ball will make the difference. Both teams are very successful there and dontcha think by this time in the series...both coaches know each other well-enough to anticipate the deciding factors in the game. Trust me..it will be: A fast paced, hard faught war. The team that capitalizes on mistakes will celebrate the victory and deservingly so! Good luck!:Cheerlead
~Pirates Pack a Punch~ Wrote:I agree with ya on this one..neither team is known for passing (Although Drew has been very successful this year from the air) This will be a hard faught ground game. Straight up the middle..."TO YOU and THROUGH YOU!" kinda game...I do feel that the lines on both sides of the ball will make the difference. Both teams are very successful there and dontcha think by this time in the series...both coaches know each other well-enough to anticipate the deciding factors in the game. Trust me..it will be: A fast paced, hard faught war. The team that capitalizes on mistakes will celebrate the victory and deservingly so! Good luck!:Cheerlead

Nice post. Although JC is not known for its passing game. They can go in the air when it is needed. I look for some more passing than usual between these two teams tho.
kybaseball Wrote:Who are you ripping Grubby?Big Grin
Sorry KYbaseball I was just relating the post and backing you up.
bucslover68 Wrote:Nice post. Believe me when you use the word RESPECT, it is of utmost importance in this game. I truly believe that each team respects the other. Great rivalries do not have to be bitter. And BTW, I am not some mansy-pansy, we all have to get along, type. I just believe that good hard competition can be done in a way that leaves both the winner and loser looking good. I mean, these are two great teams, and when the captains go out for the coin toss Friday, it should send chills up and down everyone involved. We live in a state where, for a long time, high school football took a back seat to basketball. Now, I do not believe it does. Growing up in Belfry, it was all there was to do on a Friday night; go to the game. I am sure it has developed into that at Central. We should all cheer hard, but do it with class. This is directed at both schools involved. There are great opportunities for both teams this year. Homefield is big, and on a given night, anyone can beat or be beaten. The only connection I have to the JC program, is that Jim Matney was the first high school football player that I ever met. I was only 5 or 6 years old, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I have always respected him. I believe he is the greatest competitor I have ever seen on the football field, either as a player or as a coach. So enjoy Friday. Build it up. Live in the moment. Watch Friday Night Lights ten times before the game. Two of the best programs in this part of the state will battle. Remember there are very few teams who actually get to participate in games like this. There are very few teams who can actually call themselves contenders for the hardware every year. Belfry has been, and is, there, and JC is right on the brink of contending every year. Good Luck to both the teams and fans, and have a great game. But most of all, enjoy the ride.

This is by far the best post of this thread.
I know people probably think we're just saying we can win because we're Belfry fans. But I wonder if Johnson Central has faced a defensive line with Ivan Lee and Cory Coleman on it. When these guys play full potential, wow. They're fast, and they're strong. If you get by them Charlie's there, he fits that same description. Then, you have our coaches who motivate these guys like no other.

In all seriousness, I don't know who wins this game. We're talking about the 2 of the top three teams in the mountains, if not the two best. This should be a low scoring hard hitting game, but I'll let my red and white roots stop showing and be honest, I don't know who wins. I
BballFan63 Wrote:This is by far the best post of this thread.
I agree..KUDOS ...Bucslover! :Thumbs:
ryandamaste5 Wrote:Are you saying that Johnson Central doesn't have a good O-Line? The O-Line is what lets the backs of any team be able to gain any yards what-so-ever. With the amount of Yards JC has gotten this season I would say they have a very good and well coached offensive line.

I'm definately not saying that JC doesn't have a good O-Line. I know Coach Burchett and he is one of the best. JC has big linemen that have been able to get on people and get the job done. But their technique is no where close to Belfry's. I think the matchup of Belfry's O-Line against JC's D-Line, advantage Belfry.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Wow, now that's an interesting analysis. Just wondering how you came up with all that.

It is what you said, an analysis.

I believe coach Matney doesn't care to throw the ball if he has to, it's just that JC's not had to throw the ball very much. Belfry has struggled some against the pass and Matney will exploit that if he has the opportunity. Thus, there may be some big play opportunity.
SportsKing Wrote:I'm definately not saying that JC doesn't have a good O-Line. I know Coach Burchett and he is one of the best. JC has big linemen that have been able to get on people and get the job done. But their technique is no where close to Belfry's. I think the matchup of Belfry's O-Line against JC's D-Line, advantage Belfry.
If you wouldn't care could you go into entricate detail and explain to us all as to what the defenencies in technique for Johnson Central's linemen are as opposed to Belfry's.
jgrubby Wrote:Sorry KYbaseball I was just relating the post and backing you up.

Don't be sorry,we are always right.Big Grin
Mr.Kimball Wrote:If you wouldn't care could you go into intricate detail and explain to us all as to what the defenencies in technique are for Johnson Central's linemen are as opposed to Belfry's.

Let's use JC's favorite phrase about this game to answer:
Watch last year's game.... Smile

Seriously I don't know enough about JC's technique to pass judgement myself this year, but last year when Belfry was on defense it appeared (key word) to me that their pad level and quickness were a mismatch for JC's size and footwork. Belfry's undersized DT's constantly filled the primary gaps and exloited JC's wide splits. Belfry's DE's kept containment and collapsed inside when needed, and had too much strength for the JC OT's and was able to overpower when needed to penetrate off the corner. Belfry's LB's then were in perfect position to either clean up the play or pursue, whichever was needed.

Conversely, Belfry's O-line constantly caught JC D-lineman and LB's who were more content with speed rushing (Dials played a great game, but he was attacked everytime he overcommited to a play) or trying to overpower directly through the Lineman blocking them, and typically was able to divert them out of the pocket or force them to overcommit to the play.

They key to all this though is first of all, Belfry no longer has Phillip Hickman who single handidly ate the JC offense alive at DT. The Pirates also lost Adam Bowens at DE and Dustin May at LB.. those are three fantastic players with alot of speed and experience. Secondly, you don't get whipped as bad on the o-line as JC did last year and not make some major improvements. Burchett will have ample adjustments for what Belfry did last season as they put on a clinic on how to stop the wishbone.

On the other side of the ball, the Pirates aren't as big and strong in the backfield as last season where they can simply bull over JC for 4 yards a play. The Pirates have an excellent line, but there have been some major changes and some new faces who ahve came along who have not played in a game this calibur against a team like JC.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Let's use JC's favorite phrase about this game to answer:
Watch last year's game.... Smile

Seriously I don't know enough about JC's technique to pass judgement myself this year, but last year when Belfry was on defense it appeared (key word) to me that their pad level and quickness were a mismatch for JC's size and footwork. Belfry's undersized DT's constantly filled the primary gaps and exloited JC's wide splits. Belfry's DE's kept containment and collapsed inside when needed, and had too much strength for the JC OT's and was able to overpower when needed to penetrate off the corner. Belfry's LB's then were in perfect position to either clean up the play or pursue, whichever was needed.

Conversely, Belfry's O-line constantly caught JC D-lineman and LB's who were more content with speed rushing (Dials played a great game, but he was attacked everytime he overcommited to a play) or trying to overpower directly through the Lineman blocking them, and typically was able to divert them out of the pocket or force them to overcommit to the play.

They key to all this though is first of all, Belfry no longer has Phillip Hickman who single handidly ate the JC offense alive at DT. The Pirates also lost Adam Bowens at DE and Dustin May at LB.. those are three fantastic players with alot of speed and experience. Secondly, you don't get whipped as bad on the o-line as JC did last year and not make some major improvements. Burchett will have ample adjustments for what Belfry did last season as they put on a clinic on how to stop the wishbone.

On the other side of the ball, the Pirates aren't as big and strong in the backfield as last season where they can simply bull over JC for 4 yards a play. The Pirates have an excellent line, but there have been some major changes and some new faces who ahve came along who have not played in a game this calibur against a team like JC.
Thanks, but I would have liked to have heard it from an expert.Smile Wink
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Thanks, but I would have liked to have heard it from an expert.Smile Wink

You did my child... you did Big Grin
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You did my child... you did Big Grin
Smile
shew.. cant the game come already lol
mrfootball03 Wrote:shew.. cant the game come already lol

I agree...very long week
Has anyone in Belfry looked at the game from Ashland? If not they need to. JCHS was telling them something. So put'em on, tie' em up, and hold on. It looks like a long night for Belfry!
Go Eagles
OK we will see on Friday.
I just hope this isnt like last year when everyone though JC was going to win and Belfry wore them slap out. Except this year its at the Nest so its possible a different story could be told
Is it Friday yet?
[B]Waiting...Anticipating...Big Grin [/B]
ryandamaste5 Wrote:Is it Friday yet?
I think I am sweating form the anticipation, plus I think I am going to start having convulsions.
Silly Boy...How's practice been?
ryandamaste5 Wrote:I think I am sweating form the anticipation, plus I think I am going to start having convulsions.
Lets just say we will be ready Smile
~Pirates Pack a Punch~ Wrote:[B]Waiting...Anticipating...Big Grin [/B]

And we're rockin' into the night...

Sorry, heard the song in my head when you said that.

I think the election of our new president is an omen for this game. The upstart against the old powers. Yes we can. Big Grin
Diogenes Wrote:And we're rockin' into the night...

Sorry, heard the song in my head when you said that.

I think the election of our new president is an omen for this game. The upstart against the old powers. Yes we can. Big Grin

Nah.. Kentucky stayed true to form and was the very first to be decided for the incumbent actually. Wink Play the game in Virginia and you might have a shot...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13