Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Gonzaga 08-09
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know most people don't really care about basketball in the northwest, but I am a big Gonzaga basketball fan. Mark Few is one of the country's best coaches IMO. He schedules challenging non-conference games to better prepare his team for March, because the West Coast Conference is not a power conference by any means. He usually brings in a nationally ranked recruiting class, and has his team playing well late in the season. Here is some details about players and schedule:

Key Returning Players
  • Matt Bouldin (Jr.) - 12.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.9 apg
  • Jeremy Pargo (Sr.) - 12.1 ppg, 6 apg, 3.7 rpg
  • Austin Daye (So.) - 10.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg
  • Josh Heytvelt (Sr.) - 10.3 ppg, 4.9 rpg
  • Micah Downs (Sr.) - 7.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg

They lost David Pendergraft & Abdullahi Kuso, who only averaged a combined 14.7 ppg and 8.4 rpg, but were Gonzaga's main inside guys, especially Kuso.

Incoming Players
  • Demetri Goodson (Fr. PG) - Rated #79 in ESPNU Topp 100; 16.7 ppg, 7.7 apg, 1.4 spg, 51% fg, 38% 3pt as senior at Houston Klein Collins High School (Houston, TX)
  • Grant Gibbs (Fr. PG) - not much info due to missing half of senior season with broken wrist at Lin-Mar High School (Marion, IA)
  • Andy Polling (Fr. PF) - 9th in Class 6A in scoring with 17.5 ppg as senior at Westview High School (Portland, OR)
2008-2009 Schedule (Key Game)
  • 11/27/08 - Oklahoma State (Old Spice Classic @ Orlando, FL)
  • 11/28/08 - Maryland/Michigan State (Old Spice Classic @ Orlando, FL)
  • 12/6/08 - vs. Indiana (Hall of Fame Basketball Challeneg @ Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianpolis, IN)
  • 12/14/08 - vs. Arizona (@ US Airways Center, Phoenix, AZ)
  • 12/20/08 - vs. Connecticut (Battle in Seattle @ Key Arena, Seattle WA)
  • 01/07/09 - @ Tennessee
  • 02/07/09 - vs.Memphis (Ronald McDonald House Charities Classic @ Spokane Arena, Spokane, WA)
  • 02/12/09 - @ Saint Mary's

Like I said, most of you probably don't care much about basketball at any level in the northwest, but Gonzaga is a national contender each season, and I was wondering what you all thought about them this upcoming season, if you thought anything at all.

2008-2009 Schedule - http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/s...sched.html
2008-2009 Roster - http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/m...l-mtt.html
I think Gonzaga will be anywhere from a 5 to a 7 seed in the 09 NCAA Tournament. I would think they are hungry to get back to the tournament and win some games after first round losses the past two seasons. Mark Few has done a remarkable job in making Gonzaga a national program.
I have always been a gonzaga fan too...since back when blake stepp played for them. That guy was a good three point shooter. Through college I stayed up late, and like always I was looking for a basketball game to watch, and Gonzaga was on, and I have always liked what Mark Few would do with that team. I always go for them to win a few games in the Tournament, plus I like their apparell to...their hats look pretty good too!!
mcolem00 Wrote:I have always been a gonzaga fan too...since back when blake stepp played for them. That guy was a good three point shooter. Through college I stayed up late, and like always I was looking for a basketball game to watch, and Gonzaga was on, and I have always liked what Mark Few would do with that team. I always go for them to win a few games in the Tournament, plus I like their apparell to...their hats look pretty good too!!
Stepp was good, but I've been a fan since the Dan Dickau days. haha
And that '06 loss to UCLA brought tears to my eyes. Sad
I see them on the bubble this year, maybe a 12th seed or maybe if they can knock off a strong uconn team and a strong msu team they could go as high as 5-7.
I always have enjoyed watching Zaga play because of Coach Few...
yeah specially when they had morrison