Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: JCMS and the New Harlan Patriots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Let's hear it. JCMS has came out of their fumble phase. NH isn't bad.
JCMS seems to be much improved. They have a really strong running back #34 and their passing game is coming together. This should be a really good game.
Your right New Harlan is a pretty good football team one major player is hurting but it should still be a great game. Don't really know anything about JCMS though. But our Patriots always play tough.
Patriot, I just heard that the Lewis kid is cleared to play and he is anxious.
The Lewis kid is a Football Player and he does love it. It is good to hear this, I am glad for him. He loves the game.
I know his dad is concerned about him getting back to early. I can't imagine him playing offense but with a cast he can still hit and tackle! The Patriots have been alright but I think they have missed his Leadership. He is just now learning to get vocal, but he leads by example a lot times.
As an avid fan I have seen many good middleschool football teams. 2 years ago I saw what I thought was one of the best I had ever seen. The Bell Co. Bobcats. This year I have watched New Harlan play 3 times. All 3 games were blow outs. They have as good a team as I have seen in middle school. I have heard that there is talk of splitting New Harlan into 2 teams next year. Has anyone else heard this?
Daddycat27 Wrote:As an avid fan I have seen many good middleschool football teams. 2 years ago I saw what I thought was one of the best I had ever seen. The Bell Co. Bobcats. This year I have watched New Harlan play 3 times. All 3 games were blow outs. They have as good a team as I have seen in middle school. I have heard that there is talk of splitting New Harlan into 2 teams next year. Has anyone else heard this?

Nope. I haven't heard that. I don't know why anyone would want to do that. Thank you for the great compliment for our Patriots team. I think Coach Larkey will be most pleased with the kids he will be getting from all three county feeder programs. It's all in the family now! :thumpsup:
Mama,

There are a few reasons I can think of.
1. When New Harlan was formed (it was the brain child of the former Principal of Wallins Elem.) It was because Cawood and Hall could not field a team due to a lack of interest. That is certainly not the case now.
2. Rumor is that coach Larkey wants more participation in order to develop the talent that is in the 5 feeder schools that make up New Harlan. 2 teams means more playing time for some kids that may not get it.
3. In an effort to make the CVC more competitive, while at the same time adding another team.
The CVC needs to be revamped! There needs to be 2-3 more teams. In the past several teams have pulled out because they dont want to play New Harlan. ( Lynn Camp, Pineville, Harlan Ind.) They dont want to play a team that has all those "hold backs". This is a trend that is currently state wide. I Think that a childs education is a parent decision not a football coaches. So If the parents want to hold their children back, then more power to them. BUT don't stack the deck every year. Make it more even. The 5-6th is more competitive this year (as wittnessed by all Harlan countians) then it has been in recent years.
I have to disagree with you Daddy. I don't think the middle schools have enough interest to field two teams, I'm pretty sure Mama Bear is enough in the know to know what's going on. I think it is nice that Cumberland and Evarts still field middle school teams for all the fans that miss the old high school rivalries still have the middle schools. It is really nice to see boys from all three teams to hang out and talk to each other at Bears games, like Mama Bear said they are all working to play for the Bears. Good Luck to all three teams. As for the holdbacks like you said that is a parents choice.
I hope it's just a rumor. That would be a step in the wrong direction.
JCMS and NH will be the best game played in the mountains this saturday.
Over the last few years, I have gotten to watch the New Harlan team play several times per year. They have a class act program and compete and/or defeat teams like Knox County Central, Whitesburg, East Letcher, Letcher County Central, Bell County, Corbin, etc. I agree, splitting this team up would be a step in the wrong direction. Do you think Letcher Central, Knox Central, Bell, Perry Central, or Johnson Central will downgrade or split their middle school teams? There is a reason why all of these teams combined. Every team has their ups and downs. I predict that Cumberland is on the rise in the coming year, as well as Evarts. As far as "Holdbacks" are concerned,I agree with you, its the parents choice and exists statewide.
I would give anything to be at this game tomorrow. I hear it is going to be a barnburner. This game, as was the Letcher Central game, provides an atmosphere and level of competition that is a great benefit for these future Black Bears.
Then why not consolidate all the middle schools into a harlan co. middleschool. Just like the high schools did.
I thought this thread was supposed to be about JCMS playing New Harlan?:p I hope every body has a safe trip to Leslie County today!
Mamma Bear, what is the word on tucker lewis. will he be playing or will he be watching from the sidelines?
He'll be playing. He has to pad that cast up. He played Thursday against Knox. Hope everybody stays healthy! Good luck and be careful on that road over to Leslie County. Just take your time and drive slow.
Other running backs to look for are #5 Turner, #25 Boggs, #21 Chorak, and #26 James Bond ( the coolset name ever, we also have one Chuck Norris on our team :p ) Defensively look out for #81 Coty Miracle and #43 Aaron Caldwell and #70 Austin Vannater and #24 Andrew Dozier. I feel bad to not mention the whole team, these are just a few. They work hard in practice. Our second and third team works the first team's tail off at practice. Our offensive and defensive linemen are hosses. Our QB, #10 Austin Maggard can sling it and he brings it on defense as well. Hope our kids play well today against a good Johnson Central team. I'm looking forward to a good game of mountain football.
Yeah me too. Just a few to look for would be on offense #34 sam preston #10 jimmy preston and the QB #7 BJ hamilton he can really throw the ball...and on defense #34 #10 and #1 dakota ozzborne.
There's been too much griping about New Harlan being too big. That's ridiculous.

The New Harlan team comprised the feeder schools for Cawood High School. Cawood was a 3A school with approximately 700 students.

Bell County and Knox Central, both 4A schools, have ONE middle school team. I believe Letcher Central, a 5A school, now has one team. I'm guessing the Johnson County team that New Harlan plays today is the only feeder school for Johnson Central, a 5A school.
Palmer, what was the point in that post?
The point is that New Harlan shouldn't be split as had been suggested.
New Harlan 28 JCMS 8

They have a really good team. We knew Johnson County was going to be a good team and they lived up to their expectation. Great Game!
Eagles Sports Fan,

I believe that Palmer was trying to prove the point that New Harlan shouldn't be split up into two teams. He was comparing their situation to our situations in Letcher and Johnson Co. We both have pretty big schools and we only have the one feeder program feeding into the high school. I think that he realizes that our situation of only one feeder has paid off for our counties and he would like to see it that way in Harlan County.

I for one think that consolidation does two things that are very important
in building a top notch high school program. First it allows the athletes to develop and grow into one system that should normally be what the high school coaches tell the Junior High coaches to run. The kids will go into their freshmen year with a working knowledge of the offense and defense which allows the high school coaches to just build upon what the Junior high coaches have already taught. I also think (probably not popular) that the consolidated team will weed out those kids that are not really athletes. I know that having (one) team will limit the number of athletes that come out each year but in reality those that don't come out never really needed to be out in the first place. This saves the high school coaches the headache of wasting time on athletes that they could not count on in the first place. I also feel that there does not need to be any in county rivalries which tends to develop gaps that cannot be fixed in the future with the more dominant teams beating up on the weaker teams in the county. On those weaker teams are some good athletes that develop a sense of being inferior to the athletes on the dominant team that has beaten them to death in the past three or four years. We went through that over here in Letcher County and it cost our high school program several good athletes that decided to cross over and play soccer or concentrate on baseball or basketball because they felt like they didn't belong with those other players that had beaten their brains out in the past. Just my opinion and I know everyone has one so take it with a grain of salt but I thought I'd put my two cents in anyway. Ultimately I think that Harlan County needs to do away with the inner county games and concentrate on what is really important and that is shifting all focus on the BEAR team and not the individual middle school teams.
I see the logic in that, but all I'm suggesting is that Harlan County keep the current three-team format (set up at the three former high schools) instead of watering down the talent further by splitting one of the teams into two as suggested.

Some people may be too worried about helping their middle school team win championships instead of looking at the big picture. Cawood High School was an average-sized school at best. Two teams probably wouldn't work. It didn't work before because it's too tough to find an even way to split them.
Way to go Patriots! The way I see it three teams work out really well, remember these are just middle schoolers some of them may not show potential until 8th grade or high school. With three teams a lot more kids get the experience.
Lambert #1,
sorry about that last post my computer messed up..all i was going to say was that i agree with you.
Congratulations New Harlan on your win over Johnson. Good to hear that Tucker is back on the field. I'm sure that it was killing him to watch the action from the sidelines. I know that we have several players here in Letcher Co. that are just itchin' to get back in the action. Unfortunately, the injuries that they have probably won't allow that this season, but they continue to support their team from the sideline every game.

Again, Way to go Patriots!!!!!
Pages: 1 2