Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Method to UK’s Madness move to Oct. 10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There’s a method to UK’s moving of Big Blue Madness to Oct. 10.

As spokesman DeWayne Peevy noted, the move gives Kentucky the college basketball stage to itself that evening. This exclusivity allows UK to showcase its basketball program and its rabid fan interest.

“What better way to do that than put it on a date when no one else is (having a Madness),” Peevy said.

The move also avoids a conflict with the football homecoming game against Arkansas the next weekend and it takes away recruiting conflicts with other schools’ Madness celebrations. So prospects already committed to another Madness can still come and be subject to UK’s sensory extravaganza.

There is the sticky NCAA regulations, which say that the first basketball practice cannot be held before Oct. 17.

But UK found a loophole big enough to house its Madness in Rupp Arena on Oct. 10.

A check with the Southeastern Conference office (which checked with the NCAA), Kentucky officials discovered a way to make it work. NCAA rules allow two hours of practice per week with a basketball team after Sept. 15. So UK decided to devote a sufficient amount of time that week to hold its Madness on Oct. 10.

Who gets credit for such innovative thinking? Coach Billy Gillispie? Director of Athletics Mitch Barnhart? A lowly manager?

Deputy Director of Athletics Rob Mullens said it was a “team decision.”

Take a kudo out of petty cash gentlemen and gentle ladies.

Tickets for the event will be distributed on Saturday, Sept. 27 at 7:00 a.m. at the Ticket Office outside of Memorial Coliseum
I will be there as usual.
That is genious! Kudos to whomever is in charge!
I give UK kudos for finding that loophole. Should be an exciting time for sure. Hopefully come next Friday I'll be in Lexington camping out for tickets.
Who care it is only basketball. The only people that plays it is boys.......
cj2561 Wrote:Who care it is only basketball. The only people that plays it is boys.......

I'm honestly confused as to what point you are trying to make?:confused:

Big Blue Madness includes BOTH men's and women's basketball.
cj2561 Wrote:Who care it is only basketball. The only people that plays it is boys.......
I am speechless!:eek:
This basically just had to do with John Wall would be able to make it to this particular game. Kudos to the Wildcats though!
BlackcatFootball Wrote:This basically just had to do with John Wall would be able to make it to this particular game. Kudos to the Wildcats though!
John Wall has decided not to visit Kentucky. Check it out on http://www.kentuckysportsradio.com.
Yea I just read that lol! Well in the beginning it was at least. Although we still have alot of highly touted recruits coming to the game, hopefully we can get Daniel Orton to put the nail in the coffin to end his recruitment.
BlackcatFootball Wrote:Yea I just read that lol! Well in the beginning it was at least. Although we still have alot of highly touted recruits coming to the game, hopefully we can get Daniel Orton to put the nail in the coffin to end his recruitment.
We can only hope DO commits during his visit. He is also scheduled to attend Kansas' Midnight Madness as well. Seeing them bring in a national championship trophy is not something I would want my highest touted recruit seeing.
BCF4L Wrote:We can only hope DO commits during his visit. He is also scheduled to attend Kansas' Midnight Madness as well. Seeing them bring in a national championship trophy is not something I would want my highest touted recruit seeing.

Well we have 7 maybe we could take those down and bring in at one time...lol
Daniel Orton now has Kansas even with UK in his recruitment
Good move by UK