Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Scouting the Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee State
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wasn't sure if I should have posted this in the game thread, but nonetheless, here are a few notes I've gathered while researching UK's next opponent:

* They are 1-1
* Loss: Troy, 17-31 (284 yards total offense; 200 passing, 84 rushing-2 turnovers-35:54 time of posession-allowed 300 total yards; 136 passing, 164 rushing)
* Win: Maryland, 24-14 (402 yards total offense; 284 passing, 118 rushing-1 turnover-39:49 time of posession-allowed 357 total yards; 211 passing, 146 rushing)

* Offense-343 yards per game (101 rushing-242 passing), 20.5 points per game
* Defense-328.5 yards per game, 22.5 points per game

* Leading Passer: Joe Craddock; 48-72, 456 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT
* Leading Rusher: Phillip Tanner; 38 rushes, 122 yards, 2 TD
* Leading Receiver: Malcolm Beyah; 6 receptions, 138 yards, 2 TD

From the looks of it, the Blue Raiders like to keep it balanced and control the clock. Beyah is not their only receiver, however, he seems to be their deep threat. They have 2 other receivers with 6 catches, and 2 with 10, so Craddock does a good job of spreading the ball around. They also have another running back with over 20 carries. Offensively, they use a lot of guys and spread the ball around. They control the clock, and make few mistakes.
Defensivley, they have 4 interceptions thus far this season, and have forced 5 fumbles, recovering 3 of them. I couldn't find anything as far as individual leaders, but it seems they are active and get attack the ball.

I'm expecting our defense to keep playing lights out, but I do see them having some issues early on, especially the way MTSU spreads things out. UK is ranked 3rd in the NCAA in Points Allowed and 12th in the NCAA in Total Defense, and IMO, I don't think Maryland or Troy had defenses quite like this one.
Their defense, although active and agressive, also gives up quite a few yards. They rank 60th and 63rd respectively in Total Defense (328.5) and Points Allowed (22.5). I look for our offense to continue to improve, and with Brooks mixing it up with Cobb and Hartline, I do believe MTSU will have a difficult time hold our offense for too long.
Looks like you did your research man, and did a good job at it.

Btw, you still looking for someone to go to the Vandy game with you?
Nice breakdown of the Blue Raiders.

The more an more I read up on the Blue Raiders the more I think we will score on them. They lost to a pretty good Troy team, then defeated a very weak team in Maryland (who defeated D-1AA, Delaware 14-7 in week 1). I'm very confident in Joker's play calling and I believe that our defense will be ready for their spread attack as the Cats did really well against NSU's spread offense.

GBB!
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I wasn't sure if I should have posted this in the game thread, but nonetheless, here are a few notes I've gathered while researching UK's next opponent:

* They are 1-1
* Loss: Troy, 17-31 (284 yards total offense; 200 passing, 84 rushing-2 turnovers-35:54 time of posession-allowed 300 total yards; 136 passing, 164 rushing)
* Win: Maryland, 24-14 (402 yards total offense; 284 passing, 118 rushing-1 turnover-39:49 time of posession-allowed 357 total yards; 211 passing, 146 rushing)

From the looks of it, the Blue Raiders like to keep it balanced and control the clock. Beyah is not their only receiver, however, he seems to be their deep threat. They have 2 other receivers with 6 catches, and 2 with 10, so Craddock does a good job of spreading the ball around. They also have another running back with over 20 carries. Offensively, they use a lot of guys and spread the ball around. They control the clock, and make few mistakes.
Defensivley, they have 4 interceptions thus far this season, and have forced 5 fumbles, recovering 3 of them. I couldn't find anything as far as individual leaders, but it seems they are active and get attack the ball.

I'm expecting our defense to keep playing lights out, but I do see them having some issues early on, especially the way MTSU spreads things out. UK is ranked 3rd in the NCAA in Points Allowed and 12th in the NCAA in Total Defense, and IMO, I don't think Maryland or Troy had defenses quite like this one.
Their defense, although active and agressive, also gives up quite a few yards. They rank 60th and 63rd respectively in Total Defense (328.5) and Points Allowed (22.5). I look for our offense to continue to improve, and with Brooks mixing it up with Cobb and Hartline, I do believe MTSU will have a difficult time hold our offense for too long.

man you have to much free time lol. But in all honesty nice work.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I wasn't sure if I should have posted this in the game thread, but nonetheless, here are a few notes I've gathered while researching UK's next opponent:

* They are 1-1

You def. did your homework. Thanks.
Looks good. Keep it up.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:man you have to much free time lol. But in all honesty nice work.
I have some major gaps between classes, so this is basically what I do (except I dont usually make notes like this!) haha

But thanks. And here is another interesting thing Rich Brooks said in his press sonference yesterday. He said in the first two games against Louisville and Norfolk State, they were coaching Hartline to "not lose the game" rather than "win the game." And "blames" him and his staff for coaching too "cautiously." He said they plan to open things up for Hartline against MTSU, and give him a little more freedom. So I thought that was interesting, and thought I would pass that along. :o