Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UK 38 - Norfolk St. 3 FINAL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Game can be seen on tape delay tonight on BBSN.
Hartline needs to step up and prove something if he wants to keep his job after what Cobb did today. The only downside to Cobb today was he fumbled once and threw a INT. But he threw a TD pass and ran for 2 TD's.
I have a feeling we may move to a dual QB set.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I have a feeling we may move to a dual QB set.
This would be great imo. Look at Florida and look at how much that helped Tebow gain experience. This could be huge for Cobb for next year. Although next year, I'm not sure either one of these QB's will be playing seeing as to how UK has locked up a 4* and a 5* QB.
BCF4L Wrote:This would be great imo. Look at Florida and look at how much that helped Tebow gain experience. This could be huge for Cobb for next year. Although next year, I'm not sure either one of these QB's will be playing seeing as to how UK has locked up a 4* and a 5* QB.

I dont think next year will hurt cobbs feelings any because that means he can just move back out into the slot lol. Then we can use Newton and Ryan in a dual QB set or red shirt one of them. There are just so many possibilites now that we arent use to, but dang how good does it feel lol.
COULD SOMEONE LOOK AT MY SCORE PREDICTION ON THE OTHER THREAD??? I picked U.K...38-3 Smile Smile Smile! Guess that is why I win big on Saturdays and Sundays myself Smile
I was at this game and I was very impressed with Cobb. The fumble wasnt really his fault cause he got sacked from his blind side but he still should of held on to the ball. He gave the offense a big spark in the first quarter that got them going. Hartline needs to step up or he will be out of a job. Congrats Cats and get ready for next week.
NIKE2010 Wrote:I was at this game and I was very impressed with Cobb. The fumble wasnt really his fault cause he got sacked from his blind side but he still should of held on to the ball. He gave the offense a big spark in the first quarter that got them going. Hartline needs to step up or he will be out of a job. Congrats Cats and get ready for next week.

I was there also. The offense did indeed look much more comfortable with Cobb at quarterback. The offensive line looked a lot better in this one. The defense played awesome and they still haven't give up a touchdown. The special teams also did very well today.

IMO, it was hard to keep your attention on the game if you near the Norfolk State band like I was. They were amazing and danced, sang, and played their instruments throughout the 2nd half.
The throw from Cobb to Dicky Lyons was one of the best pass and catches I've seen in a long time.
Cobb should be UKs next QB.
I didn't see any of this game, unfortunately. Did they play better than against the Cards?? and did the defense still keep the same intensity?
FoOtBaLl FrEaK 8-0 Wrote:I didn't see any of this game, unfortunately. Did they play better than against the Cards?? and did the defense still keep the same intensity?
Same here Pal!:Thumbs:
The cats were a totally different team with Cobb as qb. There was a big difference in the attitude and intensity of team when he was on the field.
Way to go Cats!!!
I've been saying all week that they need to put Cobb at QB!!!!
Cobb had a great game! Hartline again was conservative and didnt take chances. In order for UK to compete in the SEC, we will need both quarterbacks to succeed. Hartline needs to begin taking chances and throwing the ball more than 10 yards downfield. Our running game finally seemed to click, and our defense didn't allow an offensive touchdown for the second straight game for the first time since 1958! Next week won't be easy (Middle Tennessee State beat Maryland @ Maryland). I do think with each week, Hartline's confidence will grow, and we continue to improve. We will be fine.

As for the fans booing Hartline at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, there's no need for that. This is a guy who as Lyons said, led the team to a Governor's Cup victory a week ago. Sure Cobb was doing great, but we need both. It was ridiculous our fans would even think of booing one of our own when he hasn't made any mistakes. They should be a shamed!!!
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Cobb had a great game! Hartline again was conservative and didnt take chances. In order for UK to compete in the SEC, we will need both quarterbacks to succeed. Hartline needs to begin taking chances and throwing the ball more than 10 yards downfield. Our running game finally seemed to click, and our defense didn't allow an offensive touchdown for the second straight game for the first time since 1958! Next week won't be easy (Middle Tennessee State beat Maryland @ Maryland). I do think with each week, Hartline's confidence will grow, and we continue to improve. We will be fine.

As for the fans booing Hartline at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, there's no need for that. This is a guy who as Lyons said, led the team to a Governor's Cup victory a week ago. Sure Cobb was doing great, but we need both. It was ridiculous our fans would even think of booing one of our own when he hasn't made any mistakes. They should be a shamed!!!

We don't need both at all, I think that would just hurt us if we tried to use two QB's. What can Hartline do that Cobb can't?...Nothing.
Chris Leak/Tim Tebow. Matt Flynn/Ryan Perriloux. Ring any bells? It should if you're a college football fan! Florida and LSU both used 2 QBs the last two seasons, and I don't know if you realized, but both won a national championship in doing so. Hartline and Cobb both bring something to the table. Hartline needs to build confidence. Did he have a bad game yesterday? No. But if you compare what he did to what Cobb did, yes, it will look as though he did indeed have a bad performance. Hartline has yet to turn the ball over, and he led the offense on 2 scoring drives yesterday (I know, Cobb led 3). Joker Phillips can really mix things up with Cobb in there and put more pressure on opposing defenses. However, I think Hartline will be fine. And once he builds up some confidence and starts taking shots downfield and making plays, that will make opponents have to gameplan for 2 QBs which can be a real advantage for UK.

Cobb had a GREAT game! 2 rushing TDs, and a passing TD. He is, however, a true freshman, and he did make some mistakes yesterday. I don't know about the rest of you, but I would much rather have a QB who has been in the system for 3 years at the helm in pressure situations than a true freshman who has not even been in it for a full season. Have faith in Hartline, and be patient with him. He'll be fine. I can't believe you all are so quick to pull the plug on this guy. Give me a break!
I'd like to see Hartline play more agressive and throw the ball down the field more. He had Dicky and Kyrus wide-open a few times yesterday down field and didn't even look their way. Instead he threw the ball to the back and we had to punt.

If Hartline would use his arm strength more then the Cats passing game would be much more effective. Short passes are not going to cut it when the defense knows your not going to throw the ball down field.

GBB!
Hartline did nothing wrong to receive boos from the idiot fans. He had zero turnovers, played conservative, and just helped us beat Louisville last week. It was truly embarassing that people would boo a kid who did nothing wrong but go on the field and try his best.

Cobb had 2 turnovers which put NSU in pretty good field position to score, but luckily they didn't have much of an offense. Cobb is great, and will be be great but fans are way too quick to jump the bandwagon on a guy that looked good against a Division 1 AA school.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I was there also. The offense did indeed look much more comfortable with Cobb at quarterback. The offensive line looked a lot better in this one. The defense played awesome and they still haven't give up a touchdown. The special teams also did very well today.

IMO, it was hard to keep your attention on the game if you near the Norfolk State band like I was. They were amazing and danced, sang, and played their instruments throughout the 2nd half.
It was a very awsome game and like you said the high light of the second half was the norfolk state band. As I was sitting right beside them.
From what i hear Cobb needs to be the starter. And from what i got from espn.com he looks like a runner too. I can't wait to see this kid in action. Thanks for the info. GO CATS!
IMO Hartline and Cobb both need to start throwing the ball down field more often. If they can do this then it will open up running lanes for the running backs and it will even open up the short passes and they will go for more yards. If we they dont start throwing the ball down field a lot more teams like Bama, Tenn, Florida, and Georgia are going to put more guys in the box and we will not be able to move the ball against them very much. They have some good wr's in Lyons, Boyd when he gets to play a lot more and Cobb when he is not playing QB. But like I said this is just my opinion.
NIKE2010 Wrote:IMO Hartline and Cobb both need to start throwing the ball down field more often. If they can do this then it will open up running lanes for the running backs and it will even open up the short passes and they will go for more yards. If we they dont start throwing the ball down field a lot more teams like Bama, Tenn, Florida, and Georgia are going to put more guys in the box and we will not be able to move the ball against them very much. They have some good wr's in Lyons, Boyd when he gets to play a lot more and Cobb when he is not playing QB. But like I said this is just my opinion.
I agree. Cobb threw the ball several times downfield (15-25 yards). Hartline, I think, will throw the ball more once he becomes more comfortable and has more confidence. They'll both be fine, IMO.
For anyone wanting to watch the game, you can see it on ESPN360.com
I like the way the team looked with Cobb leanding the way. the offense seems to stutter with Hartline out there.
Florida and LSU could use the two QB system because they had two very good QB's. Leak was very accurate, as was Flynn, and their backups were used mostly run the ball. With UK, Cobb looked to be the much better thrower and obviously the better runner. Puts Hartline in a tough spot to prove he's needed.
I agree that it was completely classless for the fans to boo Hartline. I honestly don't care if he had played terrible in the first half (which he didn't), that's no excuse to boo one of your own players. I'm ashamed to be called a UK football fan right now.

As for the game, UK did what they needed to do to win. The defense was amazing again, and the running game got untracked in a big way. Alfonso Smith, Derrick Locke, and Moncel Allen all had great games. Hopefully, the coaching staff won't forget about Smith again like they did against Louisville.
I agree with you on saying I am ashamed to be a UK fan right now. To beat it all, it seemed as if my whole section were the ones booing and I just sat there with my head down. Hartline didn't have a bad game and we as fans need to be behind him and encourage him, not put him down. We should want the best out of every player on the team and this is not a way to do that.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Chris Leak/Tim Tebow. Matt Flynn/Ryan Perriloux. Ring any bells? It should if you're a college football fan! Florida and LSU both used 2 QBs the last two seasons, and I don't know if you realized, but both won a national championship in doing so. Hartline and Cobb both bring something to the table. Hartline needs to build confidence. Did he have a bad game yesterday? No. But if you compare what he did to what Cobb did, yes, it will look as though he did indeed have a bad performance. Hartline has yet to turn the ball over, and he led the offense on 2 scoring drives yesterday (I know, Cobb led 3). Joker Phillips can really mix things up with Cobb in there and put more pressure on opposing defenses. However, I think Hartline will be fine. And once he builds up some confidence and starts taking shots downfield and making plays, that will make opponents have to gameplan for 2 QBs which can be a real advantage for UK.

Cobb had a GREAT game! 2 rushing TDs, and a passing TD. He is, however, a true freshman, and he did make some mistakes yesterday. I don't know about the rest of you, but I would much rather have a QB who has been in the system for 3 years at the helm in pressure situations than a true freshman who has not even been in it for a full season. Have faith in Hartline, and be patient with him. He'll be fine. I can't believe you all are so quick to pull the plug on this guy. Give me a break!

Those QB duo's you mentioned were alot better talents than Cobb and Hartline are, I just think that a 2 QB system might be too predictable for the defense. I'm not giving up on him, I'm just paranoid about UK losing. It hurts to even think about it...Sad
Pages: 1 2