Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New Harlan 8 Letcher Co. 6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am from Knott County. However, I had to make the trip over to see this one. It turned out to be a great defensive battle. I had seen Letcher County against Clark County, but hadn't seen the New Harlan Patriots before. A very good team indeed. I really think if you put these two teams on neutral fields and they played 10 games it would be a 5-5 tie. However, I do believe Letcher County is still more multi dimensional and actually may be a little better team overall. Both great great teams though good luck during the rest of the season. I hope the players from each team that went to the hospital are OK.
I too agree that lcc has a better team than new harlan. Not saying there isn't talent there. They have plenty of talent. I think if this game were played at a neutral field the outcome would have been different. After all the hype about this game I kind of came off disappointed. Lcc did not play there best ball, but then again it is hard to beat the refs.
I, of course, think that New Harlan has the best overall team, but that is just based on the one game that we got to see last night. I'm like you though, we could play 10 times and it could go either way. That was good football last night. It was a fantastic defensive game for sure. That game will make us a better team for the rest of our schedule. Best of luck the rest of the season to a dandy Letcher team!!!!!
I am from Letcher County and love those young Cougar boys to death. However, in all due respect to Leonardo and GreenWave Fan there is no way you can say that Letcher is a better team. I do feel the same as all three of you including Mama Bear that the teams are very equal and it would probably be a split in a 10 game series but I really do not think the 8-6 game solved the magical question of which team is better than the other. Actually the score board said that New Harlan was two points better than Letcher on that given night so I would have to say at this point in the season they are a little better as a team. I do feel that this loss will only bring that young Cougar team together and their best football is yet to be played. I think that Letcher came away with a little more than New Harlan did. Yes New Harlan won and in most people's eyes they were supposed to win. The Cougars proved to themselves that they belong with the elite boys at the top last night. With the team only being together for one month or so I think some of the kids from the West Letcher team needed to know they belong with the big boys and that was proved. I think the boys from East Letcher that took a beating at the hands of the Patriots last year found out that they can hang with the big boys and the kids from Whitesburg knew how it felt to win 12 in a row last year to only have the rug jerked out from underneath them needed this early loss to get the monkey off their backs. So I feel that the Letcher team will play much better and may just run off 9 or so wins in a row and win that title that Whitesburg had ripped away from them last year by Perry Central in their last game. Remember ladies and gentlemen sometimes you can learn a whole lot more from a good loss than you can form a sloppy win. Oh yeah, I would love to see this same game played again on a neutral field with neutral refs in early October, man that would be a game I would pay a few extra dollars to watch.
God I love defense and these two teams bring it like a small high school group does around playoff time.
I thought some might like to read our local papers write up. I thought the comments by the coaches were really nice and showed mutual respect.

http://harlandaily.com/articles/2008/09/...920599.txt
Man I wish our paper would do article for the younger kids..... That is awesome, and the right up says it all. GREAT FOOTBALL.
Thank you. Who is the Blanton kid on the high scool team
Deviloligist,
What you write on here is awfully close to a good article for your local paper. Throw in a picture and you have coverage. If I were you, I'd email your local editor and ask if he or she would be interested in printing what you have. You could email it to them after the game. If needs be, get one of your parents to take a picture to go with it. Our local paper covers our sports in this area very good. I have even read little league baseball recaps. There was two really good pics that went with that article on our game that when I get a chance I'll try to scan and put on here.
Photos were by Chris Jones of the Harlan Daily Enterprise.

[Image: Patswin.jpg]
Hard to beat the refs is BULL CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LCC didn't look to good because they played against a really good Defense. It's always easy to blame refs when you don't play up to expectations! I have respect for LCC they played a good game, but I knew this would be coming when some lady was hollering we know who's feeding the refs tonight. The last two plays of the game the LCC line moved as well as a receiver took off early and the refs didn't call it. I agree LCC looked more dimensional but we only threw one pass can't figure that one out, Coach wanted to play it safe I guess. You want to blame the refs and tarnish a good win for our boys and a good game for yours that is crazy.

And since you went there and NO Harlan County Bears fans went there last week when the High Schools played the penalties were 15-2 for LCC. We were pleased that our boys played a good game and took the loss and didn't try to make ourselves feel better and blame someone else. By the way I would like to see that game on a neutral field.

The Coaches had enough sense to not blame the refs why don't you all hop on the I'm not and idiot train with everyone else.

Good Game, the season goes on! Best of Luck!
All of this bickering should make for an interesting freshman game this week!

As long as we the big mouth fans don't mess up a good friendly mountain rivalry.
Patriot,
Choose your words wisely, you were talking about one fan running her mouth and you knew it was coming. Well, you jumped off the I am not an idiot train and joined that ONE person by bashing the Letcher Co. kids by stating that the Patriots defense made them look average basically and that we the fans were upset because our boys didn't play up to expectations. Well, I for one thought we EXCEEDED all expectations with our "average defense" by holding your above average offense to only 8 points. So don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house. You stooped to one fan's level when you responded back. Remember this is a game for the kids, we should just be there for support.

I agree with you that fans should just keep their biased mouths shut on both sides and just enjoy the game. I was at the game, and yes there were several missed calls that went both ways. However, I do think the missed pass interference call with a minute 15 to go helped decide the game. I do not think it was an intentional no call because the play was so quick to happen. I don't think the refs deliberately decided the outcome of this game, but PLEASE do not judge Letcher Co. by a comment made by only one person.

I was able to talk to Coach Howard and some members of his team at last night's high school game. They had nothing but compliments for the New Harlan players and coaching staff. The issue of refs never came up.

Yes Patriot, the Freshman teams do play next week and you will see the same amount of class from those boys and their coaching staff that you saw last Thursday night. Remember the old saying, if you have nothing good to say.................................
Mama Bear,

I guess you see how these fans are going off over the game. I for one know it was a great game played by both teams. You and I called this earlier in the week when we were corresponding back and forth. This rivalry is going to get better and better as the years go by. Finally, a true rivalry that's only separated by one big ol' mountain, kinda makes me forget about the old Whitesburg/Neon rivalry and I thought that would never happen. I guess it's really Cougar country over this way now. I for one think that both teams defense showed up to prove that there is more to football than offense and both excelled in doing so. I don't think either offense played poorly (besides the turnovers from both teams) but I do think that they were just stopped by two freight trains that collided on one field for that one given night. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for posting that article, thought it was well written and showed a lot of class with very little bias for the home team just as it should be. Oh yeah, the hotdog you told me to pick up was great and I look forward to the next time.
I was at the game the other night. I thought both sides done a wonderful job. I will agree with cougarbabe there were alot of missed calls. Patriot it getting a little bit upset over one crazy fan. These boys have only been together for over a month.I am so proud of all of them.This loss will only make them stronger as a team. I think the coaches and boys served letcher county proud!!!!!Can you imagine what kind of team this is going to be!!!!!I am so excited. But hey what do I know, I am just A cougar mom!
Lambert #1 Wrote:Mama Bear,

I guess you see how these fans are going off over the game. I for one know it was a great game played by both teams. You and I called this earlier in the week when we were corresponding back and forth. This rivalry is going to get better and better as the years go by. Finally, a true rivalry that's only separated by one big ol' mountain, kinda makes me forget about the old Whitesburg/Neon rivalry and I thought that would never happen. I guess it's really Cougar country over this way now. I for one think that both teams defense showed up to prove that there is more to football than offense and both excelled in doing so. I don't think either offense played poorly (besides the turnovers from both teams) but I do think that they were just stopped by two freight trains that collided on one field for that one given night. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for posting that article, thought it was well written and showed a lot of class with very little bias for the home team just as it should be. Oh yeah, the hotdog you told me to pick up was great and I look forward to the next time.

:Thumbs:
I have to give a shout out to our 5th and 6th grade team!!!!

:rockon:

They played a gutsy game and fought hard for another win! That group of boys have come a long way since the end of July!!! They play Stinnett Thursday, which beat them in the first scimmage of the year. We should get to see another great game!!!
Awfully proud of those Patriots!!! This group hasn't breezed thru like some of the 5/6 grade teams of the past and have shown a LOT of heart!

:rockon:
CougarBabe Wrote:Patriot,
Choose your words wisely, you were talking about one fan running her mouth and you knew it was coming. Well, you jumped off the I am not an idiot train and joined that ONE person by bashing the Letcher Co. kids by stating that the Patriots defense made them look average basically and that we the fans were upset because our boys didn't play up to expectations. Well, I for one thought we EXCEEDED all expectations with our "average defense" by holding your above average offense to only 8 points. So don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house. You stooped to one fan's level when you responded back. Remember this is a game for the kids, we should just be there for support.

I agree with you that fans should just keep their biased mouths shut on both sides and just enjoy the game. I was at the game, and yes there were several missed calls that went both ways. However, I do think the missed pass interference call with a minute 15 to go helped decide the game. I do not think it was an intentional no call because the play was so quick to happen. I don't think the refs deliberately decided the outcome of this game, but PLEASE do not judge Letcher Co. by a comment made by only one person.

I was able to talk to Coach Howard and some members of his team at last night's high school game. They had nothing but compliments for the New Harlan players and coaching staff. The issue of refs never came up.

Yes Patriot, the Freshman teams do play next week and you will see the same amount of class from those boys and their coaching staff that you saw last Thursday night. Remember the old saying, if you have nothing good to say.................................

I was in no way trying to bash your kids, I understand this is middleschool football and I when I do yell and scream it is at a child I am related to! I never show myself hollering at anyone Else's kids or a ref (well sometimes) It was the first two posts whom I felt like were trying to tarnish a good game by the patriots by what they said. And I truly wasn't trying to bash your kids by complementing our defense but I had seen where you all beat someone 50 to nothing or something like that so I was proud that we held you all. I talked with Coach Howard during the game first time I had met him and he was very nice and had nothing but compliments for the Patriots and I complemented him on a good game against Harlan County and wished him luck the rest of the season so please don't judge me on one post, I felt that I was defending my team the same as you are. I don't think that was pass interference, but I guess if it was called I would be the one complaining that is wasn't so we will just have to agree on that. You reminding me of an old saying reminded me of one ...It isn't the one who starts the fight and throws the first punch it is the one who throws the second punch and gets caught, I guess if I would have gave you all some time you would have taken it upon yourselves to correct the two from making the negative comments about New Harlan. As I said before I hope this continues to be a "Friendly' Mountain rivalry and we can always look forward to the fine hospitality we both received in the two games. But an arrogant part of me I guess can't apologize for defending my team, I hope that is understandable.
Middle school players make elementary mistakes. There is always a heaping of controversial call's at this level. Middle school football equals elementary ref's!!!! Its all a learning phase!!! Do hold judgement on this game in a negative manner. Hold the stellar performance by both teams as a great memory.
Patriot,
Do me one favor, get the team film and watch the pass interference happen for a 2nd time. I do not think that the game was determined by that one call. The LCC kids fumbled away a golden opportunity while inside the 15 yard line on 1st down, it's their fault that they put themselves into a position that they had to have that reception. This along with the other two fumbles and the (perfect) onside kick that NH had pretty much sealed the deal for LCC that night. With that many turnovers they did not deserve to win the game. I know that these boys are just that (BOYS) and they will make boy mistakes and learn from them and hopefully this will help them turn into excellent high school players in the future. I believe that you can learn more from failure sometimes than you can from never failing. I do appreciate your dedication to your team and frankly you wouldn't be much of a fan if you didn't show it. I'm just saying THINK next time before you jump into someone else's ignorance pool to take a swim with them.
Hold on!!!! I never implied that the refs did not do a good job. When I mentioned playing on a neutral field it is that usually the home team has a degree of more comfort at home giving them a small advantage. This includes both HC and LCC. A neutral field would take even this small advantage away. When I stated that I thought LCC was alittle better team that was just my opinion. I came too that opinion, because they LCC seemed to have more weapons and were more diverse in there play calling. Harlan appeared to be just a smash mouth football team. There is no doubt that New Harlan won this ballgame on this given night. I truly believe the refs had no input on the outcome. Great game with two great teams.

By the way the pass interference no call appeared to be a questionable call. I think the ref did the best job possible without an instant replay.
Leonardo,
I understood your statements made previously and completely agree. Both New Harlan and Letcher Central played great that night. The calls made were not deliberate against LCC.

I was merely asking Patriot not to judge an entire team, coaching staff, and county for that matter on ONE person's actions.

Can't wait to see these teams go at it again!:football:
Quote:By the way the pass interference no call appeared to be a questionable call. I think the ref did the best job possible without an instant replay.

If only we had a jumbotron......:p

I just can't get over how awesome that would be to have. Do you all play your games on the high school field?
I hope this rival goes on for years to come
Mama Bear,
Sometimes our kids get to play on the big field but most of the time they play on their field which is the old Whitesburg High School Field. It's alright but not as nice as the turf and the Jumbotron. It's great when they play the highlights of the younger kids and do their individual pictures up there for everyone to see. Would you believe that the tron was donated by two businesses in the area? Not sure of the price but it sure was donated. Our superintendent worked the community really well and they stepped up with the $$$$$$$ You all should do that, I bet you could get one of the coal companies over that way to purchase yours, just let them know the over in Letcher County they stepped up. We have our main contributers for the Tron advertisement playing several time that it is turned on and that's all they asked for. I think they have 50 advertisements playing every game and it generates about $10,000.00 per season for the football team.
I would love to see the Russell boys pictures up there...
CougarBabe Wrote:Patriot,
Do me one favor, get the team film and watch the pass interference happen for a 2nd time. I do not think that the game was determined by that one call. The LCC kids fumbled away a golden opportunity while inside the 15 yard line on 1st down, it's their fault that they put themselves into a position that they had to have that reception. This along with the other two fumbles and the (perfect) onside kick that NH had pretty much sealed the deal for LCC that night. With that many turnovers they did not deserve to win the game. I know that these boys are just that (BOYS) and they will make boy mistakes and learn from them and hopefully this will help them turn into excellent high school players in the future. I believe that you can learn more from failure sometimes than you can from never failing. I do appreciate your dedication to your team and frankly you wouldn't be much of a fan if you didn't show it. I'm just saying THINK next time before you jump into someone else's ignorance pool to take a swim with them.

I am not trying to argue with you but I guess I am. Well I like to think that we are having a civil conversation as I said in another post we can't really show our emotions by typing them. Any who, I have seen the film and I think it could have went either way and not to dwell on words but you have corrected me a few times you did say in your post, you said quote " I do think the missed pass interference call with a minute 15 to go helped decide the game" And now you have told me not to say anything if I can't say anything nice and for the second time you have now called me an idiot, but here you are doing to me what I done to the other two. I think we could knock heads every post, Thank You for the kind words and Good Day! I said Good Day!
I just think that this will help us in the conference we are in. Just hope we can win the rest and don't let this bother us. We played a great game, and sometimes a loss does better than a win. Look at the high school last year. We lost to hazard, and rolled 11 straight. Go Cougars.
I completely agree with you all, I think you can learn a lot from losing and from playing bigger and better quality teams. I know LCC probably goes through this too, but the patriots have a hard time getting games and the High School ran into this people not wanting to play. I hate to sound cliché but I have told those people several times to be the best you have to beat the best. I hate to say that but it's the truth. I think playing tuff games make these kids better and show them that they just can't show up and win they have to play. We will just make each other better for years to come, I guess that is what makes a good rivalry.
Patriot,
I agree with you for sure. Over here in Letcher County the old Whitesburg Middle School had double the enrollment and double the athletes compared to our other county schools but they had to keep playing that weak shedule and it showed when those kids moved on to high school. However, they had to keep playing them and that was 8 games of their schedule and that only left 3 games to play with. It's been better the last couple of years because we had dropped to three teams, East and West Letcher and Whitesburg. It wasn't perfect but better, this allowed Whitesburg and East Letcher to join the Big Sandy Conference and both teams did really well last year with Whitesburg winning 12 games and East Letcher winning 8 games. Now this year it has been our good fortune and a little luck rolled in and we have one team. Everyone in the county is now saying that this should have happened a long time ago. It has allowed them to schedule Perry Co. Hazard, Johnson Cent. Belfry, Martin Co. Shelby Valley, Clark Co. NEW HARLAN, Pikeville, East Ridge and Breathitt Co. AS you can tell this is a phenominal schedule and right now they are 3-1 and the one loss has probably taught them more than any other lesson they have learned this year, and yes your right to be the best you have to beat the best just like the old wrestler Rick Flair said.
Lambert #1 Wrote:Patriot,
I agree with you for sure. Over here in Letcher County the old Whitesburg Middle School had double the enrollment and double the athletes compared to our other county schools but they had to keep playing that weak shedule and it showed when those kids moved on to high school. However, they had to keep playing them and that was 8 games of their schedule and that only left 3 games to play with. It's been better the last couple of years because we had dropped to three teams, East and West Letcher and Whitesburg. It wasn't perfect but better, this allowed Whitesburg and East Letcher to join the Big Sandy Conference and both teams did really well last year with Whitesburg winning 12 games and East Letcher winning 8 games. Now this year it has been our good fortune and a little luck rolled in and we have one team. Everyone in the county is now saying that this should have happened a long time ago. It has allowed them to schedule Perry Co. Hazard, Johnson Cent. Belfry, Martin Co. Shelby Valley, Clark Co. NEW HARLAN, Pikeville, East Ridge and Breathitt Co. AS you can tell this is a phenominal schedule and right now they are 3-1 and the one loss has probably taught them more than any other lesson they have learned this year, and yes your right to be the best you have to beat the best just like the old wrestler Rick Flair said.
lol Rick Flair:ChairHit:
Pages: 1 2