Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th Region 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
gold_glove Wrote:After Bryan Dean Left Powell things have gone down hill fast........Minus the one region title of course haha!

Powell County has won 71 games over the past three seasons - that's right at 24 wins per season. Seven players (Benningfield, Brewer, Pelfry, Muncie, Colton King, Halfacre, and Logan King) went on to play college baseball. That is not going down hill fast by any standards.

By the way, over that same time frame, Perry Central has 71 wins, Letcher Central 65, and Estill Co. 64.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Powell County has won 71 games over the past three seasons - that's right at 24 wins per season. Seven players (Benningfield, Brewer, Pelfry, Muncie, Colton King, Halfacre, and Logan King) went on to play college baseball. That is not going down hill fast by any standards.

By the way, over that same time frame, Perry Central has 71 wins, Letcher Central 65, and Estill Co. 64.

They have also had generally one of the weakest schedule in the 14th region as well. All this should show you is that weak schedules do not prepare you for the post season. The past two seasons Powell has had one of the weakest schedules in the region, and the past two seasons they have not been ready for the post season. All those wins mean nothing if you don't even make it to the regional tournament. I think that is what he meant by downhill. Bryan Dean went to several finals and semi final games of the regional tournament the 6 years he was there.

Here are the schedules so you can compare...I didn't realize how big of a difference there actually was until I took a good look at their schedules. All I did was took Dean's last two years and I took Varney's last two years. As you'll be able to see there is a remarkable difference in schedule between the two, and it could very well be why they are continuing every year not making the regional tournament.

2008 Powell's schedule under Coach Varney- http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh.../?id=27054

2007 Powell's schedule under Coach Varney- http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh.../?id=24073

2005 Powell's schedule under Bryan Dean- http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh.../?id=18844

2004 Powell's schedule under Bryan Dean- http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh.../?id=16774
I looked at the schedules and didn't see what you are talking about. They both played tough teams and week teams. How do you now so much about 14th and 15th region? Are you a coach?
JustTrying Wrote:I looked at the schedules and didn't see what you are talking about. They both played tough teams and week teams. How do you now so much about 14th and 15th region? Are you a coach?

No i've just been in this part of the state my whole life, and it's not just this team. There are a few in the 15th as well that always wonder why they are not getting anywhere come post season and then whenever you look at their schedule it's just obvious, and most of the time when you have a school that has a tough schedule by the end of the year they are more prepared than teams that haven't played anybody all season, it's just common sense. Also in the 13th I think if Clay County would've had a tougher schedule they would have gotten farther as well, and that also goes for South Laurel. If I were a coach I would try and have my team with as tough a schedule as I could handle to get my team ready for the post season. If you are just wanting to know who i am i have no problem telling you if you would like to pm me.
JustTrying Wrote:I looked at the schedules and didn't see what you are talking about. They both played tough teams and week teams. How do you now so much about 14th and 15th region? Are you a coach?

2008 tough teams=Greenup County, Harrison County
2007 tough teams=Lafayette
2005 tough teams=Boyle County, Lexington Catholic, Lawrence County, Grayson County, Marion County, Dunbar,
2004 tough teams=Marion County, Union County, Williamsburg, Danville, Somerset, Pendelton County

2008=Beat out first round of District Tournament
2007=Beat out first round of District Tournament
2005=Finals of the 14th Region Tournament
2004=Finals of the 14th Region Tournament

If this doesn't open your eyes then i don't know what will?
[quote=JackRabbitSlim]2008 tough teams=Greenup County, Harrison County
2005 tough teams=Boyle County, Lexington Catholic, Lawrence County, Grayson County, Marion County, Dunbar,
2004 tough teams=Marion County, Union County, Williamsburg, Danville, Somerset, Pendelton County

If this doesn't open your eyes then i don't know what will?[/quo

I got somthing that should open your eyes. If Dean makes a tougher schedule then look at 07 and 08 at letcher. Dean gets a walk into the Region every year at tourny time as well. Powell has to beat Estill or Lee every year just to get into the Region tournament. When Dean had Powell in 04 and 05 they played owsley county in the first round. As for the easy schedules for powell in 07 and 08. You are forgeting about in 07 - Johnson Central, Clark County 08 - West Jesamine, Estill - a team that lost like 2 games all year.,Clark County, Boyd. Since Estill County has entered the same district as Powell one team has to go home early that shouldnt when a team like Letcher gets a easy draw. This is not Varneys fault of schedule. This is just the luck of the draw.
14th Champ Wrote:[quote=JackRabbitSlim]2008 tough teams=Greenup County, Harrison County

I got somthing that should open your eyes. If Dean makes a tougher schedule then look at 07 and 08 at letcher. Dean gets a walk into the Region every year at tourny time as well. Powell has to beat Estill or Lee every year just to get into the Region tournament. When Dean had Powell in 04 and 05 they played owsley county in the first round. As for the easy schedules for powell in 07 and 08. You are forgeting about in 07 - Johnson Central, Clark County 08 - West Jesamine, Estill - a team that lost like 2 games all year.,Clark County, Boyd. Since Estill County has entered the same district as Powell one team has to go home early that shouldnt when a team like Letcher gets a easy draw. This is not Varneys fault of schedule. This is just the luck of the draw.

That does suck the way the draw has went the past couple of seasons, because you generally want your best teams in the region tournament. Johnson Central only had one pitcher, no hitting, Clark County had no pitching that year, and weren't that good at all, Estill was legit but i was counting only the games that weren't mandatory, but West Jessamine was a good team, i should have listed them. I think they came a hair of winning the 12th that year if it wasn't for Somerset and that team they had. However, i will agree with you that there are a lot of obstacle Varney can't help, but scheduling is not one of them. Where Dean is located he can only travel a certain amount of times because of the budget and i think alot of teams are getting hit with that this year, but that is a reason for staying around that area. He played a few really tough teams though i don't know what your getting at, but regardless i would like to see Powell beef up their schedule that is all i was getting at.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:[quote=14th Champ]

That does suck the way the draw has went the past couple of seasons, because you generally want your best teams in the region tournament. Johnson Central only had one pitcher, no hitting, Clark County had no pitching that year, and weren't that good at all, Estill was legit but i was counting only the games that weren't mandatory, but West Jessamine was a good team, i should have listed them. I think they came a hair of winning the 12th that year if it wasn't for Somerset and that team they had. However, i will agree with you that there are a lot of obstacle Varney can't help, but scheduling is not one of them. Where Dean is located he can only travel a certain amount of times because of the budget and i think alot of teams are getting hit with that this year, but that is a reason for staying around that area. He played a few really tough teams though i don't know what your getting at, but regardless i would like to see Powell beef up their schedule that is all i was getting at.
Usually I agree with most of your posts, but JC had way more than one pitcher in '07 . I'll agree that their offense was not strong and the defense struggled at times, but you dont get to Applebees with only one pitcher. I also thought that Clark Co. was pretty good that year. They finished with a 33-6 record with 2 of those losses coming in the semi state to Dunbar. They also beat Dunbar in that series and lost one game by only 2-0. They did not play a killer schedule but it certainly wasn't horrible. They did beat Harrison Co. twice that year. May not have been one of Harrisons strongest teams of the decade, but Harrison is still Harrison.Your right about them not having an overall dominating pitching rotation but they got the job done. I also thought that Evan Bennett, Josh Woods and Jordan Barker were all pretty good hitters. Actually I thought that Bennett might have been one of the better hitters that I saw all that year. All 3 play college baseball. Bennett at Morehead and Barker and Woods at Cumberland. Barker was also a very good catcher. It took eventual state champion Dunbar all 3 games to knock them out of the sectional tournament. Dunbar wore them out in the 3rd game but the first two games were real battles.I think you can say that Clark was terrible in '08, but they were good in '07.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:[quote=JackRabbitSlim]
Usually I agree with most of your posts, but JC had way more than one pitcher in '07 . I'll agree that their offense was not strong and the defense struggled at times, but you dont get to Applebees with only one pitcher. I also thought that Clark Co. was pretty good that year. They finished with a 33-6 record with 2 of those losses coming in the semi state to Dunbar. They also beat Dunbar in that series and lost one game by only 2-0. They did not play a killer schedule but it certainly wasn't horrible. They did beat Harrison Co. twice that year. May not have been one of Harrisons strongest teams of the decade, but Harrison is still Harrison.Your right about them not having an overall dominating pitching rotation but they got the job done. I also thought that Evan Bennett, Josh Woods and Jordan Barker were all pretty good hitters. Actually I thought that Bennett might have been one of the better hitters that I saw all that year. All 3 play college baseball. Bennett at Morehead and Barker and Woods at Cumberland. Barker was also a very good catcher. It took eventual state champion Dunbar all 3 games to knock them out of the sectional tournament. Dunbar wore them out in the 3rd game but the first two games were real battles.I think you can say that Clark was terrible in '08, but they were good in '07.

Haha, my bad on the one pitcher comment I forgot what year i was talking about, haha! Anyhow, now for the record I will definetely agree with you on Bennett and Barker, but I don't know about Woods. I know he went to college and played but he didn't have a dominant season that year. Barker should have gotten a lot more credit than what he did get, and Bennett was a great pitcher as well when they used him. However, Clark probably didn't pitch him in that game anyhow. I have on problem adding Clark to the list of tough teams for that year, but think about what were arguing? If you add them plus Johnson Central, that is still only 3 teams by adding those two, so I still don't think it's worth mentioning. However, I do stand corrected. Nice to see you out stirring up trouble again, I was worried. haha!!
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:[quote=Mr.Kimball]

Haha, my bad on the one pitcher comment I forgot what year i was talking about, haha! Anyhow, now for the record I will definetely agree with you on Bennett and Barker, but I don't know about Woods. I know he went to college and played but he didn't have a dominant season that year. Barker should have gotten a lot more credit than what he did get, and Bennett was a great pitcher as well when they used him. However, Clark probably didn't pitch him in that game anyhow. I have on problem adding Clark to the list of tough teams for that year, but think about what were arguing? If you add them plus Johnson Central, that is still only 3 teams by adding those two, so I still don't think it's worth mentioning. However, I do stand corrected. Nice to see you out stirring up trouble again, I was worried. haha!!
Hey, I'll look over it. I know the stress you've been under getting flogged by all those Knott Central fans and all. I could imagine that it's been almost unbearable.Smile

You might be getting Evan Bennet mixed up with his brother Ryan who graduated in '05. Ryan was a very good high school pitcher. Evan pitched quite a bit in '08 but didn't throw a whole lot until his senior year, and that was basicly because they didn't really have anyone else. Woods didn't tear up the Mid South as a freshman but he was good enough to start every game for a very good Cumberland team last year. All in all did did pretty good. Not great, but respectable for a freshman.

Trouble???? Who me? Apparently ,you must have me confused with some of those LC fans.Big Grin
Mr.Kimball Wrote:[quote=JackRabbitSlim]Hey, I'll look over it. I know the stress you've been under getting flogged by all those Knott Central fans and all. I could imagine that it's been almost unbearable.Smile

You might be getting Evan Bennet mixed up with his brother Ryan who graduated in '05. Ryan was a very good high school pitcher. Evan pitched quite a bit in '08 but didn't throw a whole lot until his senior year, and that was basicly because they didn't really have anyone else. Woods didn't tear up the Mid South as a freshman but he was good enough to start every game for a very good Cumberland team last year. All in all did did pretty good. Not great, but respectable for a freshman.

Trouble???? Who me? Apparently ,you must have me confused with some of those LC fans.Big Grin

I know Ryan, I thought Evan threw quite a lot that year? Is Barker getting to play any down at UC? Anyhow, I don't know what makes you think Cumberland is a good team? haha!! O well, I don't really know what's respectable for a freshman and what's not anymore? haha!!!

I know Ryan, I thought Evan threw quite a lot that year? Is Barker getting to play any down at UC? Anyhow, I don't know what makes you think Cumberland is a good team? haha!! O well, I don't really know what's respectable for a freshman and what's not anymore? haha!!!
Naw, Evan didn't throw much his junior season. Actually come to think of it Ryan graduated in '06.

Hey they were good because there was only one team that gave them trouble in the MSC. Smile

Actually Barker just ended up retiring early. Most freshmen dont seem to be able to understand they have to work themselves into the line up and wait their turns.

Respectable is just getting the coach to remember your name while your a freshman.Big Grin
Mr.Kimball Wrote:[quote=JackRabbitSlim]
Naw, Evan didn't throw much his junior season. Actually come to think of it Ryan graduated in '06.

Hey they were good because there was only one team that gave them trouble in the MSC. Smile

Actually Barker just ended up retiring early. Most freshmen dont seem to be able to understand they have to work themselves into the line up and wait their turns.

Respectable is just getting the coach to remember your name while your a freshman.Big Grin

very true!! So your telling me that Barker isn't playing anywhere right now?

very true!! So your telling me that Barker isn't playing anywhere right now?
Yep!! At least not at UC anyways.
14th Champ Wrote:[quote=JackRabbitSlim]2008 tough teams=Greenup County, Harrison County

The 56th district has seeded in Baseball for over 10 years. You must take care of business in district in the regular season games so you can be assured of at least a #2 seed. 56th is stronger now that Estill replaced Wolfe. But Powell defeated Lee in the district tournament as the #1 seed from 2003-2005.

IF Powell just takes care of Lee in the '07 regular season, then they are the #1seed and get to play Owsley to go to region (Lee swept them and got the #1 seed). IF they just take care of Lee in the district tournament as the #2 seed, then they go to region last year. Lee didn't score a run against Powell in two games during the regular season during '08. Coach Jewell made a wise decision in not showing the Pirates Drake during the regular season. Sometimes it is easy to look ahead when you have dominated another team in the regular season.

Bottom line is a school with about half their enrollment has cost them trips to the regional tournament...not Estill.
[quote=hoot owl][quote=14th Champ]

The 56th district has seeded in Baseball for over 10 years. You must take care of business in district in the regular season games so you can be assured of at least a #2 seed. 56th is stronger now that Estill replaced Wolfe. But Powell defeated Lee in the district tournament as the #1 seed from 2003-2005.

IF Powell just takes care of Lee in the '07 regular season, then they are the #1seed and get to play Owsley to go to region (Lee swept them and got the #1 seed). IF they just take care of Lee in the district tournament as the #2 seed, then they go to region last year. Lee didn't score a run against Powell in two games during the regular season during '08. Coach Jewell made a wise decision in not showing the Pirates Drake during the regular season. Sometimes it is easy to look ahead when you have dominated another team in the regular season.

Bottom line is a school with about half their enrollment has cost them trips to the regional tournament...not Estill.[/quot

Wolfe & Owsley are not consistently as good as Estill but they have had some decent teams and good players.

'94 Owsley - Wolfe district final
'96 Owsley wins district over Lee
'97 Owsley wins district over Powell
'98 Wolfe wins district over Lee. Lee survives Owsley 7-6 in opening round.
'00 Powell survives Owsley 5-2 in opening round.
'02 Powell survives Owlsey 10-9 in opening round.
'03 Lee survives Owsley 4-1 in opening round.
'04 Owsley had Lee down 8-6 going into the bottom of 7th. A couple of hits, walks, and errors, Lee wins 9-8. Robert Smith pitched a good game for Owsley, but was guilty of committing 2 of the errors in the 7th.
'05 district opener Wolfe leaves the bases loaded three different innings and commits several errors losing to Lee 5-2. Chris Stamper was ruled eligible for Wolfe and pitched the game.
hoot owl Wrote:[quote=14th Champ]

Bottom line is a school with about half their enrollment has cost them trips to the regional tournament...not Estill.

Nice Post! Very true in a lot of ways!!
hoot owl Wrote:1. Perry Central (25-9) regional runner-up. Napier, Ashworth, Jordan Amis, John Amis, Goodson, Mullins, and Smith return. Lost to graduation: Gay.
2. Estill County (24-4) defending regional champs. Freeman, Benedict, Singleton, Clowers, Fagin, and Williams return. Lost Napier, Christopher, Boain, and Isaacs to graduation.
3. Hazard (21-9) regional semi-finals in '09. Slone, Olinger, Martin, Grigsby, Searcy, Combs, and Feltner return. Teague graduated and Meehan transferred to LCA.
4. Letcher Central (22-12) lost in 1st round. Return C. Adams, M. Adams, Smith, Sexton, Watts, N. Adams, and Brock. Lost Cook to graduation.
5. Lee County (17-14) regional semi-finals in '09. Campbell, Wise, Davis, Baker, Estes, and Frye are among returnees. Lost Drake to graduation.
6. Breathitt County (20-11) lost in 1st round. Return Ritchie, Lawson, Z. Epperson, Back, Huff, Terry, Allen, Roberts, and Creech. Wes Epperson was lone senior.
7. Knott Central (2-25) new coach Jamie Couch. If Potter and King are ruled eligible they could make a run.
8. Jackson City (15-7) back-to-back 55th dist. champs.
9. Powell County (25-9) Lost Proffitt, Ryan, Pelfry, Brewer, and Kinser to graduation. Rison and Dotson return with McIntosh, Reed, Creech, Mastin, and a strong freshman class.
10. Leslie County (11-14) Lost Poloni and Wells, Jimmy Joe Morgan returns with a young cast. Only lost to Hazard 5-1 in the opeing round of the 54th district tournament with Morgan on the hill last year.

i definitley think leslie should be in the top 5...they are young but they will surprise a lot of people.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Haha! Your killing me, this will never end with you will it. You know apparently baseball has been so bad for so long in Knott County that they also have forgotten how to evaluate talent because most of the kids that transferred over to KCC this year wouldn't even be in the starting lineup for most of the top teams in the region, so I don't know how you can take that and run with it like you did, but in order for them knock off some of the top teams they are going to have to have more than what they have and more than what came over.

Potter,Adams,King, and Mullins could start for anybody in this region.
Mark your calendar for April 16. KCC vs. LCC............that's when we will see who the best in the 53rd is.
CP3 Wrote:Potter,Adams,King, and Mullins could start for anybody in this region.

CP3 Wrote:Mark your calendar for April 16. KCC vs. LCC............that's when we will see who the best in the 53rd is.

No your are dead wrong about those kids, they could not start for every team, the majority yes, but not all, and that is only because the majority of the 14th region is terrible.

April 16th will be a 5 inning game, please! there is no way KCC will beat them. You all can take that as motivation, or whatever you want, its the truth and the sooner you deal with it the better off your gonna be.
What do you think about the new format of the regional tourny? And about next years playoff format?
JustTrying Wrote:What do you think about the new format of the regional tourny? And about next years playoff format?

Im not sure i know what you mean about the regional tournament? I know about the state tournament going to 16 teams, but how did they change the regional tournament?

I don't personally like the format with 16 teams. Yea it puts teams there that usually wouldn't be there, but it pretty much wraps up any chance an Easter Kentucky school has to win the whole thing. You have to add in another game, which means you also have to add in another pitcher, and how many teams in Eastern Kentucky you know that has four pitchers they can take down there and win with? Not only that but you have a lot of uninteresting games and blowouts. That was the beauty about the sectional tournament because it weeded out all those teams and for the most part every team was competitive at applebees park, I wish they would go back to the final four team format. That is the only way an Eastern Kentucky school will be able to win the whole thing, but not with this format of 16.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:No your are dead wrong about those kids, they could not start for every team, the majority yes, but not all, and that is only because the majority of the 14th region is terrible.

April 16th will be a 5 inning game, please! there is no way KCC will beat them. You all can take that as motivation, or whatever you want, its the truth and the sooner you deal with it the better off your gonna be.

i dont know about adams and mullins. they are both solid players but i dont see them starting for every team in the region. potter and king i think could. ive watched these kids play a lot and any team would be happy to have them. both are solid pitchers and both play very solid at just about every infield position.
and i dont see it being a five inning game king pitched 7 innings in the district finals and held them to 1 earned run.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:No your are dead wrong about those kids, they could not start for every team, the majority yes, but not all, and that is only because the majority of the 14th region is terrible.

It will be a 7 inning game with KCC winning...........it will be a 5 inn. game with potter on the mound.
i dont think that it will be a five inn. game either way unless one team has an off night.
CP3 Wrote:It will be a 7 inning game with KCC winning...........it will be a 5 inn. game with potter on the mound.

Blank Stare

"Sigh"
CP3 Wrote:It will be a 7 inning game with KCC winning...........it will be a 5 inn. game with potter on the mound.

Pretty BOLD prediction for a team thats NEVER EVER beat Letcher Central! Good Luck!

You better hope and pray the players don't see this post we may be looking at one heck of a lopped sided score if they do!

Potter and his boys couldn't beat letcher at JBS what makes all you think they can beat a team that is as talented as the 14th champs LCC team?

Why do I even bother..........................No I take it back your right KCC will win the entire region imo, even tough they haven't beat LCC ever. :notworthy
yea i think that is going a bit overboard. but its still bold to be calling lcc region champs at this point too.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8