Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th Region 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
balla03 Wrote:I'd say they will earn it this year. They may be young but I think they will surprise some people and be contenders in the 14th region.

I'm sorry but I don't agree. This will not be Powell's year. They will be good I will give them that, and will be in the region tournament, but they are not going to be the powell county teams of the past that people are used to.
Baseballkid10 Wrote:Estill loss 5 seniors and 4 starters. They return loads of talent but we lost just as much players as powell and we still remain 2nd? wtf give powell some cred.

But it's the QUALITY of the starter that you lost. Had you guys lost Freeman, Clowers, and Benedict (that would be the equivalent to Brewer, Kinser, and Pelfry) do you think you'd be nearly as good? Not to mention they lost their #3 pitcher / shortstop Proffitt, and another outfielder in Ryan. Powell Co. lost their top three pitchers and three year starting catcher.
rawlingsfan Wrote:But it's the QUALITY of the starter that you lost. Had you guys lost Freeman, Clowers, and Benedict (that would be the equivalent to Brewer, Kinser, and Pelfry) do you think you'd be nearly as good? Not to mention they lost their #3 pitcher / shortstop Proffitt, and another outfielder in Ryan. Powell Co. lost their top three pitchers and three year starting catcher.

But Powell replaces those 3 pitchers with good pitchers in Dotson, Rison, and basically every pitcher thats a sophmore, and also Frank Spencer
catsfan08 Wrote:But Powell replaces those 3 pitchers with good pitchers in Dotson, Rison, and basically every pitcher thats a sophmore, and also Frank Spencer

No offense, but didn't Breathitt Co. beat Dotson last year? Breathitt, Lee, PCC, LCC, and Hazard lost 1-2 starters each from '08, and all were in the regional tournament. Estill Co. owned Powell Co. last year, including a 12-1 win with Clowers (who is returning) on the hill. If Potter and King are eligible at KCC, they will be a better team than Powell County going into the season also.

With the VARSITY they have coming back, don't see how they could be considered any higher than 7th or 8th in the region, and 3rd in the 56th district. Lee County has a solid group of juniors and seniors this year coming back. What kind of j.v. schedule did they play last year with all the young kids? Not saying they can't be near the top by May if the young players are as good as everyone says.
rawlingsfan Wrote:No offense, but didn't Breathitt Co. beat Dotson last year? Breathitt, Lee, PCC, LCC, and Hazard lost 1-2 starters each from '08, and all were in the regional tournament. Estill Co. owned Powell Co. last year, including a 12-1 win with Clowers (who is returning) on the hill.
Quote:If Potter and King are eligible at KCC, they will be a better team than Powell County going into the season also.

With the VARSITY they have coming back, don't see how they could be considered any higher than 7th or 8th in the region, and 3rd in the 56th district. Lee County has a solid group of juniors and seniors this year coming back. What kind of j.v. schedule did they play last year with all the young kids? Not saying they can't be near the top by May if the young players are as good as everyone says.

No Way!!!!
Didnt Dotson pitch a perfect game last year? I think so! there is no way breathitt will even come close to Powell this year
rawlingsfan Wrote:No offense, but didn't Breathitt Co. beat Dotson last year? Breathitt, Lee, PCC, LCC, and Hazard lost 1-2 starters each from '08, and all were in the regional tournament. Estill Co. owned Powell Co. last year, including a 12-1 win with Clowers (who is returning) on the hill. If Potter and King are eligible at KCC, they will be a better team than Powell County going into the season also.

No offense? okay they lost 5 players not all nine. An another thing if your high school sucks so bad that they cant hit then i would hate to see them play. Powell will have the pitching, hitting, fielding, and the heart to go to region so never count us out
amen
God i wish baseball would start so ppl would stop second guessin us
I think the region will come down to the same three it did last season; Estill Co., Perry Central, and Hazard. Letcher and Powell may be added as well. NO team will walk through this region. It is tough and competitive every season. Should be another great and fun year to watch.
Bluecat Wrote:I think the region will come down to the same three it did last season; Estill Co., Perry Central, and Hazard. Letcher and Powell may be added as well. NO team will walk through this region. It is tough and competitive every season. Should be another great and fun year to watch.

You have to throw Lee Co. and Breathitt Co. into the mix. Lee Co. lost 16-14 to PCC in the regional semi-finals, and Breathitt Co. lost 7-6 in the opening round to Hazard.

I totally agree about the region being competitive, three games in the regional tournament were decided by one run in '08, including the championship and one game was decided by two-runs.

In fact since 1998 (the last 11 regional tournaments) 39 of 77 games were decided by three runs or fewer (51%). Nearly 1/4 of the games - 19 of the 77 were decided by one run (24.68%).

Over the past 11 year broken down by round it looks like this in games decided by 3 runs or fewer:
Opening round- 19/44 (43%)
Semi-Finals- 10/22 (46%)
Finals- 7/11 (64%)
rawlingsfan Wrote:No offense, but didn't Breathitt Co. beat Dotson last year? Breathitt, Lee, PCC, LCC, and Hazard lost 1-2 starters each from '08, and all were in the regional tournament. Estill Co. owned Powell Co. last year, including a 12-1 win with Clowers (who is returning) on the hill. If Potter and King are eligible at KCC, they will be a better team than Powell County going into the season also.

The loss of Drake will kill Lee co. They have no other top notch pitchers.
bobcatfan22 Wrote:The loss of Drake will kill Lee co. They have no other top notch pitchers.

I like the way Campbell throws the ball, he shutout Jackson in the regional tournament. PCC ended up scoring 14 runs in the game Drake started.

There isn't any top notch pitchers in the region besides Freeman. What I mean by "top notch" is nobody in the region (besides possibly Freeman) is going to strike out more than 10-12 batters in a game against the top 6 or 7 teams in the region. That means that you are going to have to make plays in the field. The team that makes the fewest mistakes is going to win, when these top teams hook up.
paintball 25 Wrote:Didnt Dotson pitch a perfect game last year? I think so! there is no way breathitt will even come close to Powell this year

Umm, he might have. I don't recall it though. Big Grin
Dont worry bout what ppl say on here. half the ppl on here are jus talk... GOOD LUCK to Powell this year Dotson will b a great player this year an so will Rison
Powell will go far
youcantseeme85 Wrote:Dont worry bout what ppl say on here. half the ppl on here are jus talk... GOOD LUCK to Powell this year Dotson will b a great player this year an so will Rison

Agree totally.
Powell may be young but they have some freshman as good as any seniors around....spencer and hayes will contribute alot!
what sophmores will contribute to powell?
last year means nothing its this year that people are thinking about
I agree with cougarprideo8 lcc with go far this year
paintball 25 Wrote:Powell will go far

If Powell County has a chance to win the 14th region this year then the 14th is a lot worse than I thought. The past two seasons they have lost everything they had from their dominant teams, and even with those players the past two seasons they couldn't even make it to the regional tournament. So now that all of their experienced skilled players have graduated there is no way you can convince a lot of people that Powell will have a chance. It looks like Powell is slowly becoming a football school, especially with as bad as basketball and baseball is this year. The football team this year might have won more games than basketball and baseball this year, I know i'm sorry that was cheap shot, but in all seriousness Powell doesn't have a shot at the regional tournament this year.
78 days until Baseball season begins! Then some teams will prove themselves and some teams will flounder........But wait guess what the reg. season doesn't mean a thing! Everyone qualifies for the playoffs! There will be upsets and there will be blowouts but in the end there will be only one team from the 14th region.........and then..................................................................
....................................................................................................................................................................................................we start this thread all over for 2010!
wow if you think combined baseball and basketball will have less than 6 wins you are just plain stupid. Powell's baseball has some good talent with some good leadership i think they have a shot at the 56th
It's all about the pitching matchups. I think you have to look at who has the best/top pitchers. Who has the best #1 one in matchups? Probably Estill. But games can be won by beating the #2,3 or 4's. I recall Breathitt splitting games with LCC, Hazard, and Powell last year by doing just that. Were they as good as those teams? Probably not. But for those games they were--- because of the pitching.
everyone is overlooking a very talented kcc team.... pitching will win them a lot of games this year.. not to mention some good bats in their lineup... should be an interesting year in the 14th... imo i like the way knott county looks with their pitching staff and they return mullins as a junior.... will be a very solid team come tourny time
powell win be a contender dont worry bout that....... they will prove all you haterz WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:If Powell County has a chance to win the 14th region this year then the 14th is a lot worse than I thought. The past two seasons they have lost everything they had from their dominant teams, and even with those players the past two seasons they couldn't even make it to the regional tournament. So now that all of their experienced skilled players have graduated there is no way you can convince a lot of people that Powell will have a chance. It looks like Powell is slowly becoming a football school, especially with as bad as basketball and baseball is this year. The football team this year might have won more games than basketball and baseball this year, I know i'm sorry that was cheap shot, but in all seriousness Powell doesn't have a shot at the regional tournament this year.

I believe Powell will win more than six games, but still some good points. :thumpsup:
643DP Wrote:I believe Powell will win more than six games, but still some good points. :thumpsup:

I think they will too, but the extreme exaggeration helped to make my point, haha!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8