Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: OUT OF BOUNDS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Woodson certainly fumbled the ball at the one yard line but I've looked at the replay several times slowing it down, pausing it during the fumble and I still don't know why no one thought the ball should have been ruled dead for being out of bounds.

After Woodson fumbled he fell out of bounds from his elbow to the top of his head. Right after his elbow goes out of bounds his stomach lands on the ball causing it to be dead due to contacting something that is out of bounds. Since no one questioned it I though I was wrong so I looked the rule up. And this is what it states.

Under Rule 4 Ball in play, dead ball, out of bounds of the ncaa football rules.

Ball out of Bounds
Section 2 Article 3 a.

A ball not in player possession, other than a kick that scores a field goal, is out of bounds when it touches the ground, a PLAYER (this is the part I was speaking of) a game official or anything else that is on or outside a boundary line.

Looks like the cats got bent over on this one.
I only saw it when the game was going on.. I couldnt tell if it was out or not.. I was hoping they would call it out though
Hmmm....didn't notie that part.....

I didn't remember him touching it after he lost it but I'm sure I'll see the replay on Sports Center enough to tell....
You have to be sure to look at the sidelines and watch his elbow land out of bounds then see his body land on the ball you totally lose site of the ball for a second until it comes out from under him and then the Louisville player gets it. ESPN needs a better crew in my opinion not just for this call but the fumble earlier when it was right infront of their face that the Louisville's players knee's were on the ground when he took the ball from Woodson then got up and took it to the end zone. Curry didn't notice it until the 20th replay it seemed while if you were watching the game you could have seen it live but certainly on the first couple of replays. :evil:
I couldn't take it so I emailed ESPN about it waiting to hear what they say.
Tell us what they say CD
Just got a reply that they were forwarding it to the approriate department. Lets see it's ESPN I would say that would be the sports department. I didn't know they had others. :| Smile Smile Smile :o
lol.. :lol: Big Grin
Keep us updated on what all they tell you.. im interested lol
I think all cat fans should let ESPN and the NCAA know about it. I think we got screwed. They put in instant replay this year, and the refs did not use it....UK got screwed out of the game.
-
I have also emailed ESPN and the NCAA rules committee
I wonder if anyone from WYMT caught this.
I saw the play yesterday and did not notice yet but I only saw it twice and I was updating on BGR and talking so I didn't watch that closely. That's cool that you saw it CD. I was stating yesterday that Woodson screwed us by dropping the ball and well the outcome would have been different if the appropriate call was made. Thanks for filling me in. Def. let us know what you find out.
Putting two and two together, a ball touched by a player who is out of bounds gives the ball back to the team that fumbled. It doesn’t matter if the player’s hands touch the ball in bounds; if his feet are out of bounds while he touches the pigskin, the ball—and with it, the play—becomes dead by rule. According to this provision in the rulebook, Kentucky should have maintained possession. Given that the Cats would have faced a 2nd and goal from the Louisville 2
Plain & Simple.........

KENTUCKY GOT SCREWED !!!
What's new...UK GOT SCREWED!!!
This really does suck that it happened this way. I mean I hate it that UK lost but for it to be on a missed call by the refs (understandable if there isn't replay)...just pisses me off. But there's nothing that can be done now.

Just need the Cats to come back and play the rest of the season like they played the 2nd half...and that could make up for it there 8)

GO CATS!
UK dominated Louisville in the second half and shutdown Brian Brohm. Louisville left Lexington yesterday wondering if they are as good as they were hyped up to be.
Had UK gotten the ball back, they would have tied it up. I really do think we would have won the game as good as our Cats were playing in the second half.
Good posts BP! My feelings exactly.
Don't worry....they are reviewing a similar play in the Miami/FL. St. game :evil:
And guess what the ACC just made the right ruling on a similar play tonight in the FSU vs Miami game. The FSU player recovered the fumble while his right hand went out of bounds before getting ful control of the ball. They replayed and reversed it giving the ball back to the fumbling player. Just shows what happens when you have the Big 10 in control of a UK game.
Here is the first response I have gotten back from the NCAA

Chris:

First and foremost, I'm a UK grad myself and was at the game. I haven't
seen a replay of the situation yet. Either way, there are many reviews
that happen during the game to confirm the calls on the field that do
not stop play, etc. These are handled immediately after a play is
finished and the technical advisor does not need to stop play.

Having not seen this replay yet, I do not know if this should have been
ruled UK's ball or not. We are having discussions with all of the
supervisors, however, on how replay should be used and whether or not it
is being used properly. In my mind, this is a situation in which there
should have been a shutdown of the game and the review made, if for no
other reason than to confirm the play on the field and to calm the
crowd. Not many people even realized there was a fumble, much less a
legal recovery in bounds, as ruled. Replay may have been used during the
long discussion period that happened immediately after the play -- the
referees huddled at the sideline for a while -- and I hope it was.
Either way, an announcement that the play was reviewed is exactly why we
have it.

I hope to see the replay in the near future and discuss this with the
officiating coordinators, etc.

Thank you for your concern.

Ty

Ty Halpin
NCAA Associate Director for Playing Rules Administration
Here is the Illustration of NCAA Article 3A, DEAD BALL......See it for yourself, Woodson lands on the ball and he is out of bounds, so therefore the play was dead at that piont.
And again.....
And yes again......
As you can see in the first and last picture, the ball is being touched by woodson as he is laying out of bounds.
:evil: Cry Cry :evil: :evil: :evil:
Ball Out of Bounds

ARTICLE 3. a. A ball not in player possession, other than a kick that scores a field goal, is out of bounds when it touches the ground, a player, a game official or anything else that is on or outside a boundary line.

From the ncaa rulebook (pdf document) page 76
Thanks for backing me up BP I knew I was right but I appreciate it. Now I can rub it in my wife's face. :o
BP if you could pm me the email address for the NCAA so I'll have it the next time. :oops:
Pages: 1 2