Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NCAA bans horse-collar tackles.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Following the lead of the NFL and acting on a proposal made by its Football Rules Committee, the NCAA will assess a penalty this season when a runner is yanked to the ground from the inside collar of his shoulder pads or jersey.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vie...p?t=447897

I think this is a great move, and may prevent many injuries.

What are your thoughts?
Would have to agree that it is a great move to ban the horse collar. Knew the NFL banned it a while back, figured NCAA would get the hint and take some initiative and ban it way before now.
I think this is a good move. This is mainly for safety.
Its been around for a hundred years, never heard of anyone getting hurt because of it. Why don't we just go ahead and play flag football?
I agree with jgrubby, but I guess this is for safety of the athletes.
jgrubby Wrote:Its been around for a hundred years, never heard of anyone getting hurt because of it. Why don't we just go ahead and play flag football?

Doesnt anyone remember the Terrel Owens injury?
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Doesnt anyone remember the Terrel Owens injury?
Does he still play? There has been many people injured in just a plan ole' hard tackle too. Like I said lets just play flag football if the rules keep changing the game.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Doesnt anyone remember the Terrel Owens injury?
Broke his fibula or tibula I think, but it was a freak accident. Maybe they should re-design shoulder pads to make it impossable to get your hand into that area. Don't change the game change the equipment!!!
jgrubby Wrote:Broke his fibula or tibula I think, but it was a freak accident. Maybe they should re-design shoulder pads to make it impossable to get your hand into that area. Don't change the game change the equipment!!!
Very good point.....
jgrubby Wrote:Broke his fibula or tibula I think, but it was a freak accident. Maybe they should re-design shoulder pads to make it impossable to get your hand into that area. Don't change the game change the equipment!!!

This wasnt just a freak accident, 3 players suffered broken legs in 2004 due to Horse collar tackling.

I really don't see how this is "changing" the game, it's still a collision sport, and tackling is allowed. I view this just like the facemask penalty, there's no need in letting something occur that gives an advantage to another player, or puts a player in a greater risk of injury.
You know they should outlaw tackling altogether. I found this interesting fact about head injuries:

Minor head injuries, like concussions, are cumulative.
Although a third of head injuries are due to football, boxing is another sporting activity with a high number of deaths reported.
Athletes who sustained repeated concussions were often using their heads unwisely, illegally, or both.
Transient confusion with no loss of consciousness account for more than 75% of all sports-related brain injuries.
In football, injuries to the head result from making a tackle (43%), being tackled (23%), blocking (20%), or being blocked (10%).
Football head injuries are twice as frequent as neck injuries.
One of every 5 high school American football players, suffer a concussion annually.
The risk of sustaining a concussion in football is 4 - 6 times greater for a player who has sustained a previous concussion.
Football has the highest rate of concussion with an estimated 100,000 injuries annually .
Resources::

Cantu, R. C. (1998). Return to play guidelines after a head injury. Clinics in Sports Medicine, 17, 45-61.
Cantu, R. C. (1996). Head injuries in sport. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 30, 289-296.
Thurman, D. J., Branche, C. M., & Sniezek, J. E. (1998). The epidemiology of sports-related traumatic brain injuries in the United States: Recent developments. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 13, 1-8.

Football is a full contact sport. If you don't want to risk an injury, don't play. Seriously, I don't want to see any player get hurt at level of football, let alone any sport. But the risk still exists in football no matter how you tackle your opponent. Now, the face mask is different. Spearing too. Chop blocks are allowed only in a specific area. Knee injuries are the # 1 injury in football, no doubt. But its still leagal to block below the knees in a certian radius of the line of scrimmage. It's still going to happen (horse collar tackles) to save a TD, and take the penalty, but you still save the score. IMO, when they are tackled by the collar it is a last resort to save a touchdown. If you tackle by the jersey is it the same as a "horse collar"? Same kind of tackle isn't it?
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:This wasnt just a freak accident, 3 players suffered broken legs in 2004 due to Horse collar tackling.

I really don't see how this is "changing" the game, it's still a collision sport, and tackling is allowed. I view this just like the facemask penalty, there's no need in letting something occur that gives an advantage to another player, or puts a player in a greater risk of injury.
One miss call changes the game.
jgrubby Wrote:You know they should outlaw tackling altogether. I found this interesting fact about head injuries:

Minor head injuries, like concussions, are cumulative.
Although a third of head injuries are due to football, boxing is another sporting activity with a high number of deaths reported.
Athletes who sustained repeated concussions were often using their heads unwisely, illegally, or both.
Transient confusion with no loss of consciousness account for more than 75% of all sports-related brain injuries.
In football, injuries to the head result from making a tackle (43%), being tackled (23%), blocking (20%), or being blocked (10%).
Football head injuries are twice as frequent as neck injuries.
One of every 5 high school American football players, suffer a concussion annually.
The risk of sustaining a concussion in football is 4 - 6 times greater for a player who has sustained a previous concussion.
Football has the highest rate of concussion with an estimated 100,000 injuries annually .
Resources::

Cantu, R. C. (1998). Return to play guidelines after a head injury. Clinics in Sports Medicine, 17, 45-61.
Cantu, R. C. (1996). Head injuries in sport. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 30, 289-296.
Thurman, D. J., Branche, C. M., & Sniezek, J. E. (1998). The epidemiology of sports-related traumatic brain injuries in the United States: Recent developments. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 13, 1-8.

Football is a full contact sport. If you don't want to risk an injury, don't play. Seriously, I don't want to see any player get hurt at level of football, let alone any sport. But the risk still exists in football no matter how you tackle your opponent. Now, the face mask is different. Spearing too. Chop blocks are allowed only in a specific area. Knee injuries are the # 1 injury in football, no doubt. But its still leagal to block below the knees in a certian radius of the line of scrimmage. It's still going to happen (horse collar tackles) to save a TD, and take the penalty, but you still save the score. IMO, when they are tackled by the collar it is a last resort to save a touchdown. [B]If you tackle by the jersey is it the same as a "horse collar"? Same kind of tackle isn't it?
[/B]

Not really, the force you generate from grabbing a solid collar, compared to a jersey isn't close.