Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky May Overhaul Facilities
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) - The University of Kentucky is considering
a major overhaul of its athletic facilities, a move that would
include replacing Rupp Arena.
The school and the Lexington Center Corp., which operates Rupp
Arena, have given permission to a sports marketing company to
conduct a financial feasibility study on the projects.
if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('');if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']){ document.write(plpm['Mid-Story Ad']);} else { if(self['plurp'] && plurp['97']){} else {document.write(''); } }if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write(''); The study is being conducted by IMG College and will focus on
the ability for IMG and International Stadia Group to provide
private financing for the entire project. The study is expected to
take about six months.

http://www.wsaz.com/sports/headlines/27240209.html
I just dont know if I can think of UK without Rupp Arena, but from the sound of things, I better get accustomed to the thought.

I had read somewhere that the cost of this operation would be around 400 million.
I've been to Rupp numerous amounts of times for both UK games and the Sweet 16 and if they do build a new arena it will be a sad day for sure.
We should first totally renovate Commonwealth Stadium. It is one of the smallest stadiums in the SEC. WE need a bigger one for sure.
I dont want to see them get rid of Rupp.
NIKE2010 Wrote:I dont want to see them get rid of Rupp.
Our luck it'll be named Tubby Arena...
Meaty Wrote:We should first totally renovate Commonwealth Stadium. It is one of the smallest stadiums in the SEC. WE need a bigger one for sure.
I agree. They need to turf it as well. We might see the High School Football state title games played there if that happens.
Meaty Wrote:We should first totally renovate Commonwealth Stadium. It is one of the smallest stadiums in the SEC. WE need a bigger one for sure.

I don't think now is the time for this. I mean it is one of the smallest in the SEC but there are several mega-stadiums (Neyland, "The Swamp") that seat over 100,000. I just don't think UK could fill that many seats right now. Maybe if they bumped it up to 75,000-80,000, but no more than that.
That being said, I would love to see the day when Commonwealth was filled with 100,000 +
Commonwealth could hold 100,000+ as long as they lowered ticket prices. If the next couple of years go as planned. 100k would be easy.
As of right now only season ticket holders can get Georgia tickets. The only way to get a ticket to that game is to order season tickets.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I agree. They need to turf it as well. We might see the High School Football state title games played there if that happens.

Leave the awesome grass they have. I love football being played on natural grass. UK has some of the best looking grass in the nation on the field.