Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best middle school running backs playing in 2008?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
YANKS4LIFE Wrote:HALL, from betsy layne has the best speed of any back ive seen all year. he wont go around you, he will run you over.

I agree with you! Hall is a great back! Tough and Fast!
well blake newsome for belfry finished with over 2000 yds and between 30-40tds, so i would say he is preatty good...
Jonathan Polly #5 from Bell Co. Best running back on the team in my opinion, doesnt have problems holding onto the ball as others I've watched has. Phenomenol athlete, returns punts, kicks and plays receiver quite well. He's one to look out for
HARD to argue against these boys !!!!

2008 final stats for the Russell 6th grade Devils Football
Offensive:
Maroon Machine !!!!
Messer: 2603 rushing, 325 passing, 178 receiving, 120 return yards- 34 TD, 13 XP
Korzep: 1714 rushing, 202 passing, 202 receiving, 140 return yards- 20 TD, 7 XP
May: 140 rushing, 100 passing, 18 receiving, 6 TD, 14 XP
Suman: 350 rushing, 4TD, 4XP
Cole: 500 rushing, 4 TD. 1 XP
Bryant: 394 rushing, 106 receiving, 5 TD
Dixon: 200 receiving, 5 TD, 3 XP
Robinson: 132 receiving, 2 TD, 4XP
Over how many games are those stats?

Off of 10 games that comes out to
570 rushing
64 passing
58.8 pts per game

How long are the periods?
Honestly, after seeing Russell play 4 times this year and hearing about their other games, the stats for the top 2 players could have been TONS higher. Russell plays every player every game and they have great coaches that back off when they feel the games in hand which is usually after 2 scores.
Thanks STEELERMATT,,,, I did not put all the stats on there,, I will try to do the past 2 game wrap ups tonight when I get home.... I will list everything out when I get the time tonight after church.... It was a great season and one for my boys to be proud of. !!!!!
From what I have heard these boys played very hard this season. I think the spot light should be more on the team effort and fundamentals instead of stats. I don't think anyone is signing with the Steelers tomorrow. If your gonna talk stats then it needs to be based on the offensive line, the backs get nowhere without the line! This is 6th grade correct? Who is keeping the stats a parent or an official?
I agree with the comment about the LINE !!!!!!!!!
None of the backs would have anything if not for the power of the line and lead blocking.... Dont get me wrong,, STATS are not the end all and used for anything more than to be able to run situations in scenerios. Yes to sit down and watch film and set the filmed game to black and white, watching the same play multiple times and watching every effort given on the field from alot of different positions. Most of the times the stats board is kept by an asst coach who has a kid that does not start either way. It is kept out of the hands of coaches because it is too hard to coach, keep track of what plays were ran, results of each play , penaltys and yardage per play,, then to set down with film and watch the same thing over and over.... It is to hard to do all of it together.
But I will say that if not for that board and keeping track of results of each play,,,,results may have been a little differnt..
I know most parents or fans think that this is only 6th grade and stats are for bragging but the learning curve for kids to be able to see results from hard work and teamwork.......is the key!!!!!!!!!
So for most people who only see that these posts are to brag,, think different.... everything learned this year was put to good use on the field.....

play Lewis once and get one result,, watch film and see what worked and not worked,,, play again and see what happens.... totally different result !!!

I give no rewards, no helmet stickers at this age......Play as a team, win or loose as a team.... And yes we as coaches can loose a game by play calling.. I have done it in the past myself.. No one is perfect !!!!!
But all in all these kids have something that no-one can take away from them....5 Bowl Championship in 1 year and not a team better than them in the area.. Oh and they defeated the Best in the OVC and the best in the TSYFL,, which I think has never been done by a local team,,, so that is another first for them.....
So Stats come in handy, if you use them correctly.. Now if I got on here and only told the good things like the score and not the fumbles that some kid had that could have cost us the game,, then I thik that would be a little different.. or not posting on here when we lost to Lewis County the first time............. So win or loose I post the results for the kids on this team... some 5/6th grade team have the love from their community to have their games covered in the paper every week.. Check OUT Harlan County newspaper, that posts the game results and write ups for every team in the area down there, even the younger 3/4th grade teams get paper coverage... So since our paper will not cover these kids and their achievments,,, I feel that it should be out there for people to read if they want to.......

I enjoy reading other game results from teams on here,,,, dont you????????
And yes it is hard to show stats for linemen but the yards gained in a game is a telling story......So check out the best linemen post !!!
Wow sorry to hit a nerve. I just assumed that as a coach you would be more in to fundamentals since there really isn't a feeder program for Russell. I think at this point most of your younger kids dont worry about stats they worry about plays and winning and loosing, when you bring stats into the picture they start thinking of themselves and not as a team. I do enjoy looking at stats, however I just think at this age it isn't the best of ideas. This is a learning stage and these boys are all coming together for the official first time instead of being on the younger teams against each other. Some may have been moved around or put in different positions or not played as much on offense or deffense. I just think stats should be left for the older boys and the pros. To each his own though. Very glad that they did so well. Hopefully these will be the future State boys! With good coaching and hard work I am sure they will do wonderful things!
Devilsmama Wrote:Wow sorry to hit a nerve. I just assumed that as a coach you would be more in to fundamentals since there really isn't a feeder program for Russell. I think at this point most of your younger kids dont worry about stats they worry about plays and winning and loosing, when you bring stats into the picture they start thinking of themselves and not as a team. I do enjoy looking at stats, however I just think at this age it isn't the best of ideas. This is a learning stage and these boys are all coming together for the official first time instead of being on the younger teams against each other. Some may have been moved around or put in different positions or not played as much on offense or deffense. I just think stats should be left for the older boys and the pros. To each his own though. Very glad that they did so well. Hopefully these will be the future State boys! With good coaching and hard work I am sure they will do wonderful things!

The interesting fact is that the kids dont know the stats, My son does not know how many yards he has total, I do not address the stats at practice or make a big deal about it.......Like I said,, the stats are to be published along with the game results so people can read.. It has not been used for anything other than a tool to help the staff. I dont know many kids who at 6th grade have an account on here and read the results but if they are on here,,,,,,,,, "Hey YOU DID A GREAT JOB THIS YEAR!!!!! We are proud of you!!!!!!!!"

I expect great things from these boys all around...... Accomplishemnts: Back to back state championship appearences in Baseball, qualifiying to run in the National Junior Olympics in track, Academic team greatness and much,much more.....

I feel that we as parents and coaches must provide everything we can to improve the quality of life, the quality of competition and the controlled life experiences that will make or kids better in life.....
That is just my thoughts and opinion and everyone knows what opinions are like areound here..............Everybody has one.....
MAMADEVIL--- I am glad to see adults on here interested in the youth and I hope that if you have a child still playing sports that everything goes well and that they have a great season and GO-DEVILS.....
Its so great to see that these boys had a wonderful year. I wish I would have been able to see them play. I am very proud of all of those boys. They have already achieved so many great things. I hope they continue being the great kids they are, and I look forward to watching them grow. :Clap: :thumpsup: :rockon: :devilflam
Thanks WOODS 3030 and most of the kids know you and enjoy being around you too... It is great to have some younger adults as good role models for them to follow.. Keep up the good work 3030 and I hope that you are doing well !!!!!!
I know several of the boys and parents from this team and I think they are an amazing group all around. They are a close knit group. Thats what makes greatness is supporting each other! Look forward to seeing them next year in the play offs! Go Devils! You Rock 5/6th!!!!! Loved the excitment from Tuesdays game!:Clap: :devilflam
I agree, Walker Crase and Joe Holbrook are great and opposing teams will be afraid of both, because they are such a balanced force. Crase, with power and speed, and Holbrook with his blinding speed, agility and gracefulness, they have level heads on their shoulders and the potential to make it to the next level if coaches train them correctly and find a school that suits their style of football.
#3 Caleb Hall - Magoffin County
number 4 tyler robinson for grant county
The best running backs in middle school football in 08 were Ross Lee and Ricky Burton from Burns Middle School in Owensboro. They had almost 1800 combined rushing yards and over 20 combined TDs. Ross ran a 4.97 forty yard dash, that is extremely fast for an eighth grader.
well dcoach you didnt read an earlier post one guy from belfry had over 2000yds himself,and between 30-40 tds himself.(blake newsome)
when you have more than one athlete on a team you can spread the touches around. Burns also had a standout reciever a good QB and a tough full-back that got the ball too. I don't think the fact that their stats weren't that spectacular should take away from their athletism. Both kids were also starting defensive players. They hardly ever left the field.
Dalton Taylor from Letcher County Cougars finished with over 2,000 yards and over 30 TD's. They also had another back that had over 1,500 yards and over 20 TD's named Chris Tyree. Both started at LB on defense and also played special teams both ways. Spectacular backs, the coaching staff at the high school is anxious and excited to get both of these backs. Going into the season every body in the county thought Sam Sergent would be our best back and he may have very well have been but an injury kept him from playing beyond the 4th game of the season. These boys lead their team to an 11-2 record and a Big Sandy Championship. But I agree with most of the posters on here that none of this would have been possible without our offensive line: Willie Smith, Trevor Napier, Charlie Stanley, Clayton Johnson, Blake Knight, Grant Horn, Cory Neace. All of these kids are 8th graders and will be greatly missed. Last but not least our fullback Cody Conn, lead the way for all of these yards and TD's and only ran the ball a small handful of times this season and never complained, this kid was mean and hit the hole 100 miles per hour every play. Good job Cougars all the parents are proud of you guys.
well weston little finished with 21 touchdowns in 7 games with more than 1000 yards...thats pretty impressive in 7 games
I know that this is the best running BACK........ But this team had multiple weapons to hurt you with.

RE-POST
HARD to argue against these boys !!!!

2008 final stats for the Russell 6th grade Devils Football
Offensive:
Maroon Machine !!!!
Messer: 2603 rushing, 325 passing, 178 receiving, 120 return yards- 34 TD, 13 XP
Korzep: 1714 rushing, 202 passing, 202 receiving, 140 return yards- 20 TD, 7 XP
May: 140 rushing, 100 passing, 18 receiving, 6 TD, 14 XP
Suman: 350 rushing, 4TD, 4XP
Cole: 500 rushing, 4 TD. 1 XP
Bryant: 394 rushing, 106 receiving, 5 TD
Dixon: 200 receiving, 5 TD, 3 XP
Robinson: 132 receiving, 2 TD, 4XP
I totally agree with lambert. I personally played with both of those back before i was injured in my fouth game vs. New Harlan ( a very great game I may add) they were two of the most althetic kids ive ever played with and hit the whole as hard as they could every time they touched the ball. I may not have the most up to date stats on either of my teamates but I know they were two of the best running backs and linebackers I have ever played with. Yet, there succes would have never happened if it had not been for our great offensive line, the hoggs as coach baits always said.
Lewis
CougarLinebacker43 (Sam Sergent),

Very well put by an extraordinary player. Must be hard to put a post on your fellow running backs like you did. You know your a special player and the sky is the limit for you my friend. You have the skills to play at any school in the state on both sides of the ball. Good to see you still have your spirit's after this long season for you. I look forward to following your high school career, I'm sure it's going to be a fun ride for you.
Jon Gilbert, sms middle school in Breathitt. The kid can flat out fly and play football.
Pike Central Middle had a great 2nd string running back Brock Hall #5 that kid will hurt you he had a total of 238 yards this season with 7 tds he is good but not as good as Kolt Pruitt.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7