Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Your Opinion??

I'd throw JR VanHoose in the mix probabily at #1, and the next four are up for grabs. I like Todd May-Virgie,Mark Surgalski(sp)-Ashland,Jon Bentley-Hazard, and Graig Ratliff and John Pelfrey of Paintsville although you cant justify all of them as big men although all were 6'8-6'10. Just figured this would be a good topic and should be some good post on this. I'll post my top 5 later after reading some of your comments.
I would say J.R. VanHoose would be #1.
NIKE2010 Wrote:I would say J.R. VanHoose would be #1.
JR are was very good, but he wasn't near the player that Todd May was. JR would have to be in the top 5 though. Honestly the pickens are slim when it comes to true big men in the mountains. The 15th had Dan Hall a few years back. Hazard has had quite a few good big men. (One of the Alexanders played pro I think?) Clay Co. had some good undersized big guys. South Laurel had a dandy a couple of years ago. There have been several good ones especially if you want to include John Pelphrey & King Kelly Coleman sized players. But I believe that they are all looking up at Todd May. Just my opinion!!
15th region only:

1. Todd May- by far the most dominant big man this side of Lexington
2. Vanhoose
3. Dan Hall
4. Mike May
5. Pelphrey
Larry Stamper (Lee Co/1969) was one of the best 'big men' from the mountains. He was a 6'6" banger who played for Adolph Rupp. Also, would Johnny Cox (Hazard) qualify as a 'big man'?
Wallace "Wah Wah" Jones?
#1 Todd May
#2 JR Vanhoose
Some from the 16th in no particular order

Mike Scott, Greenup Co. played for UK

Jackson Julson, East Carter played for Huggy Bear at Cincy

Orbie Lee "Chief" Bowling, Sandy Hook (now Elliott Co.) played at Tenn, and later for the Kentucky Colonels

Mark Surgalski, Kyle Umberger, Ashland one played at Morehead and the other Eastern if i remember correctly.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Some from the 16th in no particular order

Mike Scott, Greenup Co. played for UK

Jackson Julson, East Carter played for Huggy Bear at Cincy

Orbie Lee "Chief" Bowling, Sandy Hook (now Elliott Co.) played at Tenn, and later for the Kentucky Colonels

Mark Surgalski, Kyle Umberger, Ashland one played at Morehead and the other Eastern if i remember correctly.
Surgalski origionally signed with Wright State but never went there he ended up playing his career at Georgetown college where he did very well and your right Umberger played at Morehead St.

I think JR VanHoose is an easy choice here for the best and most recognizable big man in the history of Mountain basketball as well as basketball throughout kentucky. Todd May is 2nd and then it gets difficult for me. Surgalski was a very good player for Ashland and I would personally list him top 5. Pelfrey,Umberger,Mike Scott,Graig Ratliff,Mike May, Jon Bentley and Dan Hall could all be thrown in the mix for the 5th spot. I have a sleeper for you guys, anyone remember James Howard-Magoffin County? He graduated in 98' or so he was 6'9 or 6'10 and was a solid big man. He went on and played 4 years at Tennessee-Milligan. He and VanHoose had some battles in HS so thats why I wanted to throw that name back out there in as my sleeper.
Moe Wrote:Surgalski origionally signed with Wright State but never went there he ended up playing his career at Georgetown college where he did very well and your right Umberger played at Morehead St.

I think JR VanHoose is an easy choice here for the best and most recognizable big man in the history of Mountain basketball as well as basketball throughout kentucky. Todd May is 2nd and then it gets difficult for me. Surgalski was a very good player for Ashland and I would personally list him top 5. Pelfrey,Umberger,Mike Scott,Graig Ratliff,Mike May, Jon Bentley and Dan Hall could all be thrown in the mix for the 5th spot. I have a sleeper for you guys, anyone remember James Howard-Magoffin County? He graduated in 98' or so he was 6'9 or 6'10 and was a solid big man. He went on and played 4 years at Tennessee-Milligan. He and VanHoose had some battles in HS so thats why I wanted to throw that name back out there in as my sleeper.

All you experts cant even get his name right. It's Craig Ratliff.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:All you experts cant even get his name right. It's Craig Ratliff.

:Thumbs: :lmao:
Most everyone on here seems to be way to young to remember the really great big men that played, at least in my opinion. I'll list a couple and see if anyone older that 30 views this site.

Orbie Bowling, Sandy Hook High School. Played at Tennessee. Played pro ball in the old ABA which was a really good league.
Carroll Burchett, Flat Gap High School. Played at UK for coach Rupp.
Charlie Osborne, Flat Gap High School. Played at Western Ky for coach Ed Diddle. Drafted into the NBA by Syracuse, played only one season.
Alvin Ratliff, Meade Memorial High School. Played at UK his freshman year. Finished at Delta State, became Little All America.

I'll take these guys over most of the ones mentioned.
kyrifle Wrote: Most everyone on here seems to be way to young to remember the really great big men that played, at least in my opinion. I'll list a couple and see if anyone older that 30 views this site.

Orbie Bowling, Sandy Hook High School. Played at Tennessee. Played pro ball in the old ABA which was a really good league.
Carroll Burchett, Flat Gap High School. Played at UK for coach Rupp.
Charlie Osborne, Flat Gap High School. Played at Western Ky for coach Ed Diddle. Drafted into the NBA by Syracuse, played only one season.
Alvin Ratliff, Meade Memorial High School. Played at UK his freshman year. Finished at Delta State, became Little All America.

I'll take these guys over most of the ones mentioned.

If I'm not mistaken Alvin was also drafted or signed and played with the Atlanta Hawks.
Todd May has to be #1. Mr. Basketball, 2 time first team all state,signed with UK, averaged 44 points(2 seasons) a game at Pikeville college despite being double and triple teamed, drafted by the Spurs. Vanhoose was very good but to say he was better than May is a stretch. Apparently some posters on here are too young to remember May.
new o Wrote:Todd May has to be #1. Mr. Basketball, 2 time first team all state,signed with UK, averaged 44 points(2 seasons) a game at Pikeville college despite being double and triple teamed, drafted by the Spurs. Vanhoose was very good but to say he was better than May is a stretch. Apparently some posters on here are too young to remember May.

Most are too young to even remember VanHoose.
new o Wrote:Todd May has to be #1. Mr. Basketball, 2 time first team all state,signed with UK, averaged 44 points(2 seasons) a game at Pikeville college despite being double and triple teamed, drafted by the Spurs. Vanhoose was very good but to say he was better than May is a stretch. Apparently some posters on here are too young to remember May.

You hit it right on the head,Todd was the man on and off the court.
going back to the ole school...

steve smith of Mcdowell, lead team to state tournament later played at North Carolina St.

Dan Hall of Betsy Layne, many do not remember what a ball-handler Big Dan was.

Todd May what more needs to be mentioned.

I'm sure there are others like King Kelly an J.R.
Todd May has to be No. 1?

Wallace Wah Wah Jones won a state championship, won an NCAA championship at UK and won a Gold Medal in the Olympics.
When did the 13th region get kicked out of the mountains? Heck, technically Bell, Harlan, and Letcher and tiny bits of Pike and Whitley are the only counties actually in the mountains in Kentucky.
Jr #1
rojas Wrote:When did the 13th region get kicked out of the mountains? Heck, technically Bell, Harlan, and Letcher and tiny bits of Pike and Whitley are the only counties actually in the mountains in Kentucky.

Name some big men then................Or else quit crying. However If you think that 5 counties are all that Kentucky has that are in the mountains.........Your input probably isn't needed.
Todd May
1. Todd May
2. everyone else
letthebighogroot Wrote:Name some big men then................Or else quit crying. However If you think that 5 counties are all that Kentucky has that are in the mountains.........Your input probably isn't needed.
You may need a refresher course in geography. A mountain is any landform that has a relief of over 1000 feet. Only the areas of Kentucky south of Pine Mountain and north of Stone Mountain are real mountains. The other counties of eastern Kentucky are in the Cumberland Platue. There are no real mountains in Hazard, Prestonsburg, Paintsville, etc.

As far as naming players, I would go with Wallace Jones also. He was All American, National Champion, Olympic gold medal winner, all SEC in football and basketball three times.
Todd May.
Collins, JBS.
Anyone who doesn't know who Wah Wah Jones is probably shouldn't be responding to history questions.
rojas Wrote:You may need a refresher course in geography. A mountain is any landform that has a relief of over 1000 feet. Only the areas of Kentucky south of Pine Mountain and north of Stone Mountain are real mountains. The other counties of eastern Kentucky are in the Cumberland Platue. There are no real mountains in Hazard, Prestonsburg, Paintsville, etc.

As far as naming players, I would go with Wallace Jones also. He was All American, National Champion, Olympic gold medal winner, all SEC in football and basketball three times.
I dont think that anybody gives a tiddly toot about if they are 1000 foot above sea level or 800. Kinda petty isn't it? What does it matter? I think it is common to reference pretty much all of eastern Kentucky as a mountainous region. Maybe if the question was referred to as "in the hills" that would make you feel better. We all feel enriched to now know that we have been corrected after all these years of ignorance. See, you just proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that we are all nothing but a dumb bunch of hillbillies.
Lets not get off-topic now fellas.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I dont think that anybody gives a tiddly toot about if they are 1000 foot above sea level or 800. Kinda petty isn't it? What does it matter? I think it is common to reference pretty much all of eastern Kentucky as a mountainous region. Maybe if the question was referred to as "in the hills" that would make you feel better. We all feel enriched to now know that we have been corrected after all these years of ignorance. See, you just proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that we are all nothing but a dumb bunch of hillbillies.

:lmao: Smile Smile
palmer Wrote:Anyone who doesn't know who Wah Wah Jones is probably shouldn't be responding to history questions.

At 6'4" it is hard to classify Wah Wah as a center...regardless what position he played during his high school years....

One thing is for sure...Wah Wah holds the unique distinction of being an All-American under both legends Rupp and Bryant when both coached at Kentucky. He is the only player to have his number retired in both football and basketball at Kentucky...without a doubt the best athlete from the mountains...

Best big man from the mountains is hands down Todd May...anyone else remember him dropping down 48 points against a Lexington school at the beginning of his junior year??? He was selected by the San Antonio Spurs in 4th round (#73 pick overall) of 1987 NBA Draft.

[Image: todd_may.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8