Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th in '09
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
1. LCC
2. Perry The trip to bowling green will have to go through these two this year.

3. Breathitt, Noble can't do everything, but she does make them the #3 team in the region, she can play.
4. Estill, until they show otherwise, they are right there
5. KCC, maybe they did have some help coming up, their jv was undefeated, but that usually don't mean much.
6. Leslie, good young team that plays well together

7. Powell, JBS, Cordia all would fit right here together with young talent

10. Jenkins, till they prove otherwise
11. Hazard, lost to much

12. Buckhorn, Owsley, wolfe struggling as usual

15. Jackson City, riverside
1.Breathitt
2.Leslie
3.Powell
4.Knott
5.Hazard
6.Jenkins
7.LCC
8.PCC
9.JBS
10.Owsley
sherman14 Wrote:1.Breathitt
2.Leslie
3.Powell
4.Knott
5.Hazard
6.Jenkins
7.LCC
8.PCC
9.JBS
10.Owsley

Seriously, that is hilarious! Lcc and Pcc #7,#8....wow...i know the teams are down in this region, but there is no way they will be out of the top 3, hardly ever!
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Seriously, that is hilarious! Lcc and Pcc #7,#8....wow...i know the teams are down in this region, but there is no way they will be out of the top 3, hardly ever!

LCC will not be in the top three maybe PCC.
World B Free Wrote:Maris Hovee is their heart and soul. She is one of the best players in the 14th. She can play any position. Very underrated.

Maris Hovee is a fantastic player and kid. But JBS has no one that can replace Kelsie Jacobs. Kelsie at KCC will leave a huge hole for JBS to fill, and give KCC a young but very talented player.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:1. LCC
2. Perry The trip to bowling green will have to go through these two this year.

3. Breathitt, Noble can't do everything, but she does make them the #3 team in the region, she can play.
4. Estill, until they show otherwise, they are right there
5. KCC, maybe they did have some help coming up, their jv was undefeated, but that usually don't mean much.
6. Leslie, good young team that plays well together

7. Powell, JBS, Cordia all would fit right here together with young talent

10. Jenkins, till they prove otherwise
11. Hazard, lost to much

12. Buckhorn, Owsley, wolfe struggling as usual

15. Jackson City, riverside
You say JV doesn't mean much with KCC and Leslie has good young team (JV) that plays well together? LCC also has a young team. So which is it? JV matters or not.
wqds
sherman14 Wrote:LCC will not be in the top three maybe PCC.

Wow you really dont know anything do you. LCC and PCC are probably the best two in the region.
No Breathitt an PCC are the top two.
Benchwarmer Wrote:You say JV doesn't mean much with KCC and Leslie has good young team (JV) that plays well together? LCC also has a young team. So which is it? JV matters or not.

JV players haven't proved they can play at the varsity level. I said Leslie had good young players, but they played last year on the varsity level and held their own, that is what I was saying. Knott did have a good jv, but that is all it was, most programs don't have a lot of players to play good ones on jv, if they can play, they are on the varsity, so when you say jv was undefeated, well you have to look at what competition they played, so usually doesn't mean much till they get to play at the higher level and prove theirselves on that level. Jv is just this, girls that are not good enough to play varsity yet, so saying your scrubs are better than all the other teams scrubs isn't something that really matters, who cares. When your top 5 can beat everyone else's top 5, then you can start bragging about it! That is all I was saying about JV.
JV players haven't proved they can play at the varsity level. I said Leslie had good young players, but they played last year on the varsity level and held their own, that is what I was saying. Knott did have a good jv, but that is all it was, most programs don't have a lot of players to play good ones on jv, if they can play, they are on the varsity, so when you say jv was undefeated, well you have to look at what competition they played, so usually doesn't mean much till they get to play at the higher level and prove theirselves on that level. Jv is just this, girls that are not good enough to play varsity yet, so saying your scrubs are better than all the other teams scrubs isn't something that really matters, who cares. When your top 5 can beat everyone else's top 5, then you can start bragging about it! That is all I was saying about JV.Mountain Hoops Guru
JV is nothing like varsity some coaches around here play Jr's on there JV which is point less cause if they cant help you their JR year they are not going to be much help the following year. Until players get into Varsity games and preform they need to not be considered a impact player on the Varsity level.
You tlak about LCC and PCC and how they are the best in the region but none of these players on either team have done anything on the varsity level LCC won like 6 games last year and PCC didn't win 1 game over a good team all last season so what is up with that both of these teams are basiclly good JV teams if what you said earlier is true which I think it is.
The girls from LCC have played Varsity ball, as 8th graders 2 years ago and looked very good and done a great job, they were not able to play varsity last year due to being held back again, so they sat out the varsity last year, so now they are freshman and can play again. They will be the best team in this region hands down and that is all everyone needs to know!

And as for Perry's youngsters, they played against varsity competition and have held their own! Leslie's girls will be even tougher this year and it should be fun to watch all these young girls play. Knott getting the transfer from JBS of course will help them out a lot.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:The girls from LCC have played Varsity ball, as 8th graders 2 years ago and looked very good and done a great job, they were not able to play varsity last year due to being held back again, so they sat out the varsity last year, so now they are freshman and can play again. They will be the best team in this region hands down and that is all everyone needs to know!

And as for Perry's youngsters, they played against varsity competition and have held their own! Leslie's girls will be even tougher this year and it should be fun to watch all these young girls play. Knott getting the transfer from JBS of course will help them out a lot.

I want to understand here: are you saying that these girls were held back twice? That they stayed in middle school for four years? Sixth grade, seventh grade, and eight grade twice? If this is the case, LCC might be "best," if that is the name for a ridiculousness very close to cheating.
I have been around 14th regiong girls basketball for a good while and I don't recall any stand out players from LCC and PCC other than the girls that have been upper class players the last couple of years. I have heard a lot good things about LCC's middle school teams of the last couple of years as well as things about the Rankin(I think) girl from Perry Co. But thats just middle school as far as I'm concerned, but to say that LCC is the best team in the region hands down I think that is crazy until they prove it and beat some good teams which might be hard seeing that their schedule is so week I don't see any teams outside the region with much talent on their schedule. I think the first couple of weeks in the season will tell a lot about some of the teams in the region. But LCC has the easy part of it out of the way already in talking about being the best.
thecavemaster Wrote:I want to understand here: are you saying that these girls were held back twice? That they stayed in middle school for four years? Sixth grade, seventh grade, and eight grade twice? If this is the case, LCC might be "best," if that is the name for a ridiculousness very close to cheating.

What is cheating about it, if your girl is the right age and is not ready for high school, why not hold them back for maturity purposes. It's up to the parents, i'm sure the coaches didn't have a thing to do with it! Boys do it all the time, now some girls do it and it's cheating, give me a break! A couple chose to do it, so their friends stayed back with them, nothing at all wrong with that!
Reds#1Fan Wrote:I have been around 14th regiong girls basketball for a good while and I don't recall any stand out players from LCC and PCC other than the girls that have been upper class players the last couple of years. I have heard a lot good things about LCC's middle school teams of the last couple of years as well as things about the Rankin(I think) girl from Perry Co. But thats just middle school as far as I'm concerned, but to say that LCC is the best team in the region hands down I think that is crazy until they prove it and beat some good teams which might be hard seeing that their schedule is so week I don't see any teams outside the region with much talent on their schedule. I think the first couple of weeks in the season will tell a lot about some of the teams in the region. But LCC has the easy part of it out of the way already in talking about being the best.

They can talk about it because they can back it up, trust me, i've seen them play and they are nothing compared to their 3 or 4 win team of last year! Will be fun to watch them get up and down the court!
It has been my understanding watching the state and regional tourny's of the past that most Championships are won on the DEF. side of the ball and most championship games in girls are in the 40's and 50's. While running and gunning can be fun when playing vs. weaker teams to win the big games you got to be able to slow down and rebound. Very few teams press at the state tournament. Its my feeling that you can only press a team that you are better than. With that said I would like to say that I'm looking forward to seeing LCC and PCC this season I know Dicky and Randy will get the most out of their girls.
Reds#1Fan Wrote:I have been around 14th regiong girls basketball for a good while and I don't recall any stand out players from LCC and PCC other than the girls that have been upper class players the last couple of years. I have heard a lot good things about LCC's middle school teams of the last couple of years as well as things about the Rankin(I think) girl from Perry Co. But thats just middle school as far as I'm concerned, but to say that LCC is the best team in the region hands down I think that is crazy until they prove it and beat some good teams which might be hard seeing that their schedule is so week I don't see any teams outside the region with much talent on their schedule. I think the first couple of weeks in the season will tell a lot about some of the teams in the region. But LCC has the easy part of it out of the way already in talking about being the best.

I agree, there has been too many changes on almost every team in this region to say this or that team will be the best. That is what makes the preseason fun. Right now everyone has a chance.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:What is cheating about it, if your girl is the right age and is not ready for high school, why not hold them back for maturity purposes. It's up to the parents, i'm sure the coaches didn't have a thing to do with it! Boys do it all the time, now some girls do it and it's cheating, give me a break! A couple chose to do it, so their friends stayed back with them, nothing at all wrong with that!

I have no problem with a girl staying back. Boys have done it for a long time, because they mature ata a slower rate. Girls mature earlier so I do wonder how much it helps a girl.
Yes some girls may be held back for maturity reasons. But it's mostly to add extra to there basketball experience. And in my opinion it's plain stupid to be held back for another year of Basketball.
Then I guess your kid won't be held back! When they are 17 and graduating and going off to college, that is not a good thing! So what is another year of school for them to mature and grow up a little bit, and if it helps the basketball team, that is just a plus! Everyone has their opinion on the subject. But until it's your kid, it doesn't really matter.
I don't think that holding a girl back has as much impact as holding a boy back does because most girls are done growing when they are in the 8th or 9th grade and, a lot of girls are better basketball players when they are in their first 2 years of high school than the last 2. The Kassie Mullins-Galloway girl that played at knott was better when she was a freshman than when she was a SR. Girls have a lot more things become important to them other than basketball when they get around the age of 16 and a lot of them just lose the desire to work after that. Something else that I think is a big problem is when you hold a whole group of kids back. When they get to high school unless all of them start when they are freshman then a lot of times they start getting mad over playing time and it become a issue inside the team. With that being said I played high school with 3 guys that stayed back and it helped them a little in the body department of playing basketball but the repeat of 8th grade basketball was meaningless we didn't lose a game and didn't improve much either.
Pages: 1 2 3 4