Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Do We Need a Recruiting age limit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
THIS WEEK'S QUESTION: In the wake of Kentucky accepting a commitment from an eighth-grader, should the NCAA mandate a minimum age in which a college can accept a commitment?

Billy Gillispie received a commitment from an eighth-grader.
I'm not as upset with what the Wildcats have done as some others. I think it's patently ridiculous, but it's not against the rules. If Billy Gillispie is convinced Michael Avery will be good enough to play at Kentucky a whopping four years from now, more power to him.

The question becomes where does it stop. If Gillispie can secure an eighth-grader, you know someone is going to go after a seventh-grader. Are you comfortable with assistant coaches scouring the middle-school ranks? The ploy on some level even makes sense for mid-majors and low majors that often have to wait to sign players after the high majors have made their picks. Maybe they'd have a better chance if they were the first school to make an offer. If they stick to a commitment they offered to, say, a fifth-grader, won't the parents make sure their child honors his side?

I don't think a school should be allowed to take a commitment until two years before he's allowed to sign a National Letter of Intent. That means November of his sophomore year of high school. That's plenty early.

If the NCAA really wants to stop schools from offering scholarships to younger and younger players, it really need only do this: Tell every school that accepts a commitment from a player younger than 15 it must honor the commitment, offer the scholarship and keep the player on scholarship for at least two years. That would curtail this nonsense in a hurry.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/cont...CID=806274
I have a question...What happens if this kid doesn't grow another inch? What happense if he completely sucks it up the rest of his high school career? What if he gets hurt?

It is good to stay in contact with kids of this age, but to get an actual commitment is rediculus. I had no idea what I wanted to do in the 8th grade and I can't imagine this kid knowing either.

However, what happens if he goes on and breaks every record the high school level has? Then maybe Gillesspie will look like a genius?

Who knows? I guess you have to do what you think is right, and I am no recruiter so who am I to say he is wrong for doing this. I guess I just made two points with two different sides and I didn't make my point. I guess my point is I see both sides of this argument and I will leave this stuff up to the guys who know what they are doing!
I say the player's freshmen year the coaches are allowed to talk to him and thats it nothing more the player's junior year is when he should be able to commit.
Yea I would have to say the kid should be in HS before anyone talks to him.