Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky Gets Commitment from 8th Grader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kentucky just received a commitment from an 8th grader. Michael Avery from California, a 6′4″ power forward just committed to the Cats. Apparently the kid is good, but I have no idea. There is my report. I am not talking to 8th graders about basketball.

http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/?cat=1
I looked at what was called the US Elite 22 Ranking for 2012 and the kid is ranked 6th on it. I have faith in Billy G, I just question whether the kid will want to back out by then.
I don't care if the kid has been tabbed as the next Jesus Christ...commitments mean nothing and 8th grade is too early for these discussions to be taking place.

How many of us are dating the same girl as a senior that we dated in junior high???

Maybe Billy Clyde should spend a little more time working on improving his image in Lexington and less time recruiting the pre-shavers.

Colleges have no business talking to middle school kids, period!!!
There are some good players in Jr. High basketball, but just because they are good in 8th grade does not necessarily mean they will be college material. There are so many things that can happen between 8th grade and Senior graduation. I agree with FOX SPORTS...he needs to recruit older players, 8th grade is simply too early.

If I would have had a college recruit me in 8th grade I would commit to, just to say that I did, whether it be UK or Pikeville College...LOL... But it is good to see BCG going ahead and looking at the future, it gives me the confidence in him that he will turn around the program. I have been very excited so far about the recruiting he has been doing the past couple of days. We have been getting some good players to SAY they are coming to UK...
Little early to be getting him to commitment.
A early commitment is better than no commitment at all. Keep it up BCG, I Support what you do 100%!!!!
Money Maker Wrote:A early commitment is better than no commitment at all. Keep it up BCG, I Support what you do 100%!!!!
I completely agree. I have faith in Billy G. And at least we know that players are wanting to come to UK.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I don't care if the kid has been tabbed as the next Jesus Christ...commitments mean nothing and 8th grade is too early for these discussions to be taking place.

How many of us are dating the same girl as a senior that we dated in junior high???

Maybe Billy Clyde should spend a little more time working on improving his image in Lexington and less time recruiting the pre-shavers.

Colleges have no business talking to middle school kids, period!!!

Guilty, but it's actually since 6th grade.
Money Maker Wrote:A early commitment is better than no commitment at all. Keep it up BCG, I Support what you do 100%!!!!

True, although I do think this early of a commitment is a little ridiculous. With that said, im glad Billy G is doing what he promised, and is trying to bring in the best talent year after year.

I hope this Avery kid can keep developing through high school and keep up his grades, i would love to see him in a UK jersey.
well 8th grade may be to early, but i believe i can remember just a few years back when oj mayo was in 8th grade and colleges was wanting him. i believe this is the same. But the kid may not be as good as oj but billy liked what he saw at an auu game in ohio and offered him.
bac2369 Wrote:well 8th grade may be to early, but i believe i can remember just a few years back when oj mayo was in 8th grade and colleges was wanting him. i believe this is the same. But the kid may not be as good as oj but billy liked what he saw at an auu game in ohio and offered him.
And OJ is helping his college choice by staying one year and heading to the NBA...not what UK needs.
Well here was the deal with Avery. I listened to a podcast with Avery's father and his father stated that Michael plays on Indiana Elite's 17U AAU squad. From my take of it, Gillispie was impressed with Avery, but wasn't allowed to talk to Michael or his parents about him. Michael's father called Gillispie multiple times a day trying to see what G thought about his son. Well after 3 days of calling, Coach G answered and said he was interested in his son and what not. Michael's father made G aware of the fact that Michael was only in 8th grade and it wasn't until that point that Coach G even knew. But since G was so impressed with the kid, G told the parents that Michael had a scholarship offer and Michael accepted.

If you keep up with recruiting any at all, you will notice that coach G is laying out a pipeline from Indiana Elite to UK. He got a commitment from Avery and Ferguson who are both members of Indy Elite. Expect Vinny Zolo, a 6-9 player for the class of 2011 to commit on Monday when he visits UK's campus. He is also a member of Indy Elite. Also expect Evan Anderson, a 6-11 player from the class of 2010 to commit within the next 2 weeks. Anderson, also a member of Indy Elite. Every one of these players I have mentioned are ranked in the top 20 of their class and five star athletes.

I understand that it may sound crazy to offer an 8th grader a scholarship, but Coach G is making kids interested that the previous staff could not. If we jump on these guys early enough, we will see better classes coming in year after year. It's obvious by watching recruiting, that usually the team that shows the most interest early on, is the team that the kid will ultimately choose. The old days of waiting on recruits are over; we are now going after recruits.
BCF4L Wrote:Well here was the deal with Avery. I listened to a podcast with Avery's father and his father stated that Michael plays on Indiana Elite's 17U AAU squad. From my take of it, Gillispie was impressed with Avery, but wasn't allowed to talk to Michael or his parents about him. Michael's father called Gillispie multiple times a day trying to see what G thought about his son. Well after 3 days of calling, Coach G answered and said he was interested in his son and what not. Michael's father made G aware of the fact that Michael was only in 8th grade and it wasn't until that point that Coach G even knew. But since G was so impressed with the kid, G told the parents that Michael had a scholarship offer and Michael accepted.

If you keep up with recruiting any at all, you will notice that coach G is laying out a pipeline from Indiana Elite to UK. He got a commitment from Avery and Ferguson who are both members of Indy Elite. Expect Vinny Zolo, a 6-9 player for the class of 2011 to commit on Monday when he visits UK's campus. He is also a member of Indy Elite. Also expect Evan Anderson, a 6-11 player from the class of 2010 to commit within the next 2 weeks. Anderson, also a member of Indy Elite. Every one of these players I have mentioned are ranked in the top 20 of their class and five star athletes.

I understand that it may sound crazy to offer an 8th grader a scholarship, but Coach G is making kids interested that the previous staff could not. If we jump on these guys early enough, we will see better classes coming in year after year. It's obvious by watching recruiting, that usually the team that shows the most interest early on, is the team that the kid will ultimately choose. The old days of waiting on recruits are over; we are now going after recruits.

Indeed!
BCF4L Wrote:Well here was the deal with Avery. I listened to a podcast with Avery's father and his father stated that Michael plays on Indiana Elite's 17U AAU squad. From my take of it, Gillispie was impressed with Avery, but wasn't allowed to talk to Michael or his parents about him. Michael's father called Gillispie multiple times a day trying to see what G thought about his son. Well after 3 days of calling, Coach G answered and said he was interested in his son and what not. Michael's father made G aware of the fact that Michael was only in 8th grade and it wasn't until that point that Coach G even knew. But since G was so impressed with the kid, G told the parents that Michael had a scholarship offer and Michael accepted.

Excellent post, and well-said. :thumpsup:

Awesome post man, you hit that one right on the nail!
What a stacked AAU team lol. Hopefully all with keep up with their commitments. And getting a bunch of kids from the same team isn't a bad idea, the chemistry is already there ala The Michigan team with Webber and Rose.
By him doing this, it just ruined that kid.
You know he will get it in his head.
no kid should commit until his senior year of high school IMO! this is just stupid
RedSeal Wrote:no kid should commit until his senior year of high school IMO! this is just stupid

Please explain how this is stupid??:confused:

You prove a very good point!
FOX SPORTS Wrote:And OJ is helping his college choice by staying one year and heading to the NBA...not what UK needs.
If we get a recruit like Mayo and it gets us back to the National Championship, who cares, that's what UK wants.
Godspeed Wrote:If we get a recruit like Mayo and it gets us back to the National Championship, who cares, that's what UK wants.
Patterson couldnt get us there so I know OJ couldnt.
There are two things that should be known about this recruit.

1) He is 15 years old. Now, I don't know about you guys, but that seems a bit old for a regular 8th grader. Sounds like he's held back a time or two. I was a sophomore in high school when I was 15 and have even had a friend who was a Junior in high school and was only 15 for most of the year. So let's consider his age, more than we consider his grade. The kid is going to be about 20 by the time he gets to UK.

2) I'm questioning how good this kid is. I have read that Gillispie met up with this kid while he was visiting Culver Academies in Indiana. Now, I know that Culver is TERRIBLE in basketball, I have visited this school, and personally know recent graduates. They are a prep school and their biggest sport at the school is BY FAR hockey. The varsity hockey team is so good that they no longer compete in the state championship because it's such a cakewalk for them; instead they let their JV teams play. But their basketball team is so bad that they are bottom of the barrel as far as basketball goes.

In other words, Culver's basketball team could easily be beaten by any decent team in Kentucky, so it makes me wonder how good this kid is if he's looking into going to Culver.
He better be like mj