Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Midnight Madness .....Gone ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Midnight Madness can now tip five hours earlier after the NCAA board of directors approved a change in the start of men's basketball practice.

Beginning on Oct. 14, 2005, men's basketball teams can start practicing at 7 p.m. local time.

The legislation was approved at last month's NCAA president's meeting after being sponsored by the Pac-10, but it wasn't publicized much.

Cal coach Ben Braun said he was the originator of the legislation.

"Many of our older fans wanted to see us, but it was getting to be too late," Braun said of his Midnight Madness event. "I suggested it, and coaches like Lute Olson [of Arizona] thought it was a great idea. And then it just passed."

The legislation (17.5.2) reads that a "member institution shall not commence [an] on-court preseason basketball practice session prior to 7 p.m. on the Friday nearest Oct. 15." This legislation is for both men's and women's basketball, and the effective date is Aug. 1, 2005.

The rationale given states that, under the current rule, practice can begin at midnight on the Saturday nearest Oct. 15, but "this results in Midnight Madness practices [that] are open to the public and [that] force fans, student-athletes and the student body, as well as some prospective student-athletes, to travel home in the very early morning hours. This causes a safety concern."

By switching to 7 p.m., students, players, coaches and other university personnel as well as the fans can get home at a "reasonable hour." The earlier start also could help in recruiting, the new legislation claims. Officials don't expect any cost increase, and there might even be a decrease.

Midnight Madness has been a staple of the basketball calendar at schools like Kentucky, Kansas, Connecticut and, most recently, North Carolina. But its overall importance, especially in recruiting, has diminished.

Also, coaches have complained that the first practice of the season gets lost in the madness, and it can slow down the first weekend of practices since it's hard to turn around and go for two sessions in the morning after finishing up at about 2 a.m. the previous night.

This is yet another piece of legislation adopted by the NCAA that helps coaches. Others include allowing as many players as needed for individual workouts and allowing players to participate in exhibition games without forfeiting a chance to redshirt. The only significant rule change requested that wasn't adopted was allowing college coaches to watch offseason pickup games.

** My Opinion......If it ain't broke, Don't fix it !!!!!!!! ** :? :x
Which ones?
Shut up BGR Babe
I like Midnight Madness, I dont think they should change it.
i agree, it should have been left alone
it may have changed but i think UK will stay traditional. hopefully.
I don't mind the change in venue....but to not play it at midnight, just doesn't seem right. But I guess this will be hapening all over the country since the NCAA now allows teams to start practice at 9 PM
I thoguth it was 7 PM beef?
might be....i wasnt positive with that...just what i thought that i heard
Yea understandable mistake I wasnt sure my self