Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What mid major will pull off the upset
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the tourney
I don't see a lot of mid majors pulling a George Mason like in 2006. The majors in this year's tournament are just too talented all around IMO. I don't see any mid major making it pass the Sweet 16. I don't know if Xavier is considered "mid major," but I have them advancing to the Elite Eight. Other than the Musketeers, I don't see many "small schools" making a lot of noise this season. But that's why they play the games. Let the madness begin!
I don't really see Butler or Xavier as teams to pull upsets because both were ranked as Top 10 schools at one point this season, but a team that you may want to watch IMO is Drake.
Drake....
After reviewing the brackets and filling out some more "rough drafts," I have Drake and everyone's Cinderella, Georgia, advancing to the Sweet 16. I could see South Alabama and Winthrop giving fits to their opponents, but no major run like the Patriots of George Mason. Should be an exciting tournament.
Davidson knocks off Gonzaga, and Sienna will give Vanderbilt everything they want and more..
I got Davidson over the Zags. St. Joe's over Oklahoma. St. Mary's over Miami(Fla.). I know that both Butler and South Alabama are both Mid-Majors but Butler was one of the top 10 teams in the nation during the season, but I have the Jags pulling one out against them.
Western Kentucky could cause problems for anyone! Hilltoppers BABEY!!
I am with Hoss on Siena. I like their chances of getting by Vandy and then Villanova(after 'Nova takes out Clemson), to reach the Sweet 16. I also LOVE Winthrop defeating Wash St, but tuff matchup with ND in 2nd round. Have Oral Roberts running to the Sweet 16 with Siena, after taking out Pitt and then Mich State. Three 13's winning first round and 2 of them to the sweet 16. :eek: Also have Baylor and K-Sate getting to the 16, as 11 seeds.
I got a rundown of my thoughts on the best chances for upsets for seeds 11-16.
Seed
16- UT-Arlington over Memphis
15- Austin Peay over Texas
14- Georgia over Xavier
13- Shew, 3 of them, in this order...Winthrop(Lock), Siena, and Oral Roberts
12- Villanova over Clemson
11- Kansas St over USC, and Baylor over Purdue
I Like Davidson
drake or kent st
Western Kentucky could definitely make some noise.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Western Kentucky could definitely make some noise.

I would like to see WK make some noise. Is George Mason good enough this year to make another miraculous run?
Ring'Em Up Wrote:I am with Hoss on Siena. I like their chances of getting by Vandy and then Villanova(after 'Nova takes out Clemson), to reach the Sweet 16. I also LOVE Winthrop defeating Wash St, but tuff matchup with ND in 2nd round. Have Oral Roberts running to the Sweet 16 with Siena, after taking out Pitt and then Mich State. Three 13's winning first round and 2 of them to the sweet 16. :eek: Also have Baylor and K-Sate getting to the 16, as 11 seeds.
I got a rundown of my thoughts on the best chances for upsets for seeds 11-16.
Seed
16- UT-Arlington over Memphis
15- Austin Peay over Texas
14- Georgia over Xavier
13- Shew, 3 of them, in this order...Winthrop(Lock), Siena, and Oral Roberts
12- Villanova over Clemson
11- Kansas St over USC, and Baylor over Purdue

The only upsets I have out of these are Siena over Vandy and Baylor over Purdue. How is Winthrop a lock?
torQQue Wrote:I would like to see WK make some noise. Is George Mason good enough this year to make another miraculous run?

I dont think so but they could win one possibly two games.
I think St Mary's could beat Miami.
colts12 Wrote:I think St Mary's could beat Miami.

YEP
St. Mary's could win one game. Drake could be one to make a run also. Winthrop has the potential to beat Washington St. that is a game im looking forward to watching.
I have WKU beating Drake...

St. Mary's over Miami...

I have Gonzaga in the sweet 16...

St. Joes over OU
I don't think any mid major will pull off any upsets this year...it's possible that Butler could beat Tennessee but I don't see it happening.