Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th Region KAPOS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Just wanted to wish good luck to all the girls.....:letsparty
Who is in this region?
cheer_region_12 Wrote:Who is in this region?

Estill, Powell. Owsley,Lee, Breathitt,Perry Central, Hazard There are more but those are some of the ones I know......Hazard is always strong and has finished 1st in state. I think Perry Central is good too. Estill is new to this region I think this is there 3rd year and have been to state the first 2. Powell went to state last year and i think this was there first time for a while to make state.
Perry County is always real good. And Hazard is too. Good Luck to all teams!
Lots of talent in this region..
you got that right.

good luck :]
I don't know much about the 14th cheer squads. But I'm sure that Hazard will do well, or at least they usually do.
Yeah, usually Hazard's best team competes Medium.
They have won state many years in a row, not sure if they won last year tho.
Their other team competed Traditional last year, but they didnt make it to state.
loves2cheer Wrote:Yeah, usually Hazard's best team competes Medium.
They have won state many years in a row, not sure if they won last year tho.
Their other team competed Traditional last year, but they didnt make it to state.

After winning 2006 Kapos in the medium division, Hazard didn't place last year. They put on quite an ugly show after the results were announced. I don't think they were too happy.
Today was great! I thought everything was run really well. I liked how the teams had dressing rooms and there was a hospitality for the judges and coaches and another for the cheerleaders. The traditional category was tough!!! PCC was awesome....if they hit everything at state they have an awesome chance of winning. I was kind of let down by Hazard; they were clean and looked good but I guess I just expected too much from them. Do they not have any fulls this year? I thought they always had fulls. I was also surprised that the only team that had double-downs was Estill County. Their cheer was loaded with difficulty; it just needs to be a little sharper. I liked Powell's pom routine the best though. I definitely think the best teams won today!
Have to agree, thought the best teams won today!! This was one of the best ran competitions I have been too. Good Luck to all the teams that WON today and good luck at state I know they will represent the 14th well.
I thought the competition today was excellent. They did a great job at scheduling and it went really fast. The teams were all to be commended.

I thought Estill's rountine to Grease was fun and energetic! I love that music though. I was happy to see them win! They had some tumble mistakes in their cheer, but over all did a great job.

PCC was great too! I thought everyone did a good job. Way to go girls! Congrats to all the Senior Cheerleaders and best wishes for your future!
How did the teams finish what order?
yeah. it was great.
thanks to breathitt for being such a great host :]
also thanks for all ur support!
and congrats to the winners! we'll be seeing you all in Bowling Green!
IMO powell should have tooken the traditional category...but it was a very close and competetive competition
who was the winners ?
basketballwizz Wrote:who was the winners ?

Traditional
Estill 1st
Powell 2nd

Estill was awesome today!!:Clap: :Clap: :thumpsup: !
powell was good.
but estill just had that spark about them that they always seem to have :]
loves2cheer Wrote:powell was good.
but estill just had that spark about them that they always seem to have :]

This was a very close competition...but i didnt see powell mess up on ne thing....as i did see one of estills girl mess up while tumbling
I do have to say Estill and Powell was a very hard decision...I would hate to be a judge...But I would have to give it to Powell because I heard they made up their own cheer and dance and mixed there own music and Estill went through Kentucky Pep club thing
bobcatfan22 Wrote:This was a very close competition...but i didnt see powell mess up on ne thing....as i did see one of estills girl mess up while tumbling

It was very close! Powell was very sharp on their cheer (way sharper than Estill) but Estill's cheer was loaded with difficulty and was exciting. Powell almost stood in the same spot the entire time, incorporated only 2 jumps, and had little tumbling (I think only seven girls). The hardest pass someone through was a round-off back handspring tuck. Estill had major formation changes, tumbling everywhere (including a full - I know that's not everything though), harder stunting, and they did like 6 jumps through the whole thing. No, they weren't as sharp, but they were somewhat sharp, nobody looked sloppy, and they were all synchronized, even most of their running tumbling was synchronized. This is where they go the edge, because I liked Powell's pom routine much better. Estill's was cute, but I thought the beginning was too fast for the music (though I did like the Grease theme). However, Powell did the little Mexican dance and spelled U-S-A with their poms, and this ALWAYS scores big with the judges. Trust me - I know what I'm talkin' about! If a team does not do something like that, it's usually just mediocre - which is what Estill's was. If they had a better pom routine, the score would not have been as close.
*SC*Cards*FaNaTiC* Wrote:It was very close! Powell was very sharp on their cheer (way sharper than Estill) but Estill's cheer was loaded with difficulty and was exciting. Powell almost stood in the same spot the entire time, incorporated only 2 jumps, and had little tumbling (I think only seven girls). The hardest pass someone through was a round-off back handspring tuck. Estill had major formation changes, tumbling everywhere (including a full - I know that's not everything though), harder stunting, and they did like 6 jumps through the whole thing. No, they weren't as sharp, but they were somewhat sharp, nobody looked sloppy, and they were all synchronized, even most of their running tumbling was synchronized. This is where they go the edge, because I liked Powell's pom routine much better. Estill's was cute, but I thought the beginning was too fast for the music (though I did like the Grease theme). However, Powell did the little Mexican dance and spelled U-S-A with their poms, and this ALWAYS scores big with the judges. Trust me - I know what I'm talkin' about! If a team does not do something like that, it's usually just mediocre - which is what Estill's was. If they had a better pom routine, the score would not have been as close.

I am new at pom routines.. Do most of the squads use there poms more like spelling things out? Maybe Estill can add something like that to there routine. I really like the faster more engery routines than the slow stuff like Powell did, but like I said I am new at this category..... Both teams were good today...
cheerforblue Wrote:I am new at pom routines.. Do most of the squads use there poms more like spelling things out? Maybe Estill can add something like that to there routine. I really like the faster more engery routines than the slow stuff like Powell did, but like I said I am new at this category..... Both teams were good today...

On the scoresheets, there is a category for "Effective Use of Poms." I have judged before (did not judge your competition) and the only way I give full points on this section of the sheet is if someone spells out or makes something, like I've seen a girl, a heart, words, a cat paw...etc. It is just so much more effective that way then just a straight dance. Alot of squads do that if you watch the state tape from last year, and they all used to do it.
Like you, I like faster routines too, but in the "Summer Lovin'" section of the routine, I thought the moves were too fast. If they had a fast beat, like a little hip-hop beat behind it to make it seem like it speeds up, it would have been much better and not seem so disconnected, just my opinion.
*SC*Cards*FaNaTiC* Wrote:On the scoresheets, there is a category for "Effective Use of Poms." I have judged before (did not judge your competition) and the only way I give full points on this section of the sheet is if someone spells out or makes something, like I've seen a girl, a heart, words, a cat paw...etc. It is just so much more effective that way then just a straight dance. Alot of squads do that if you watch the state tape from last year, and they all used to do it.
Like you, I like faster routines too, but in the "Summer Lovin'" section of the routine, I thought the moves were too fast. If they had a fast beat, like a little hip-hop beat behind it to make it seem like it speeds up, it would have been much better and not seem so disconnected, just my opinion.

thanks!!:thanks:
I tend to agree about Estill's rountine. I love the energy, but there are times when they don't seem to move with the music and a couple of the girls seem lost. I don't think I would change it at this point though, unless something was added with poms, but just work on sharpenening it up. One thing about it, the girls did the routine that was made up for them and they don't have control over how the routine is made up. Maybe their coach will take into consideration what the judges comments were and make a few minor changes. Anyway, I hope they do well at state. They really need to work on their cheer and making sure those tumbles HIT:Cheerlead

Glad I wasn't a judge as they were all very good.
pompommom Wrote:I tend to agree about Estill's rountine. I love the energy, but there are times when they don't seem to move with the music and a couple of the girls seem lost. I don't think I would change it at this point though, unless something was added with poms, but just work on sharpenening it up. One thing about it, the girls did the routine that was made up for them and they don't have control over how the routine is made up. Maybe their coach will take into consideration what the judges comments were and make a few minor changes. Anyway, I hope they do well at state. They really need to work on their cheer and making sure those tumbles HIT:Cheerlead

Glad I wasn't a judge as they were all very good.

I think the girls did have some input on their routine and they made up most of the cheer themselfs.
Well Estill may have had more tumbling and difficulty then Powell but Estill's dance wasn't original. Plus they all agree to go through Kentucky pep club to get a routine because they usually get a good one. But Powell spent along time making up there cheer and dance or so i heard. I don't know I don't think that people are giving Powell enough credit like they deserve. Yes I know some of you are I ain't saying that but some people are making it sound like Powell had nothing. I was there I seen what Powell had and I seen what estill had and I think Powell should have got it. Estill is a very good team but their attitudes towards the Powell county girls after they won was crappy. You know the normal haha we are better than you thing...the evil looks and the little laughs when they walked by..Yea I seen it because i was out side and I seen the whole thing. Anyways for all you Powell County cheerleaders that are reading this, you girls did awesome and you should have won it. Estill girls good luck at state.
This reply is not intended to be against stride2, but I just want to clear up that no one knows who makes up the routines for KAPOS, and frankly, it really doesn't matter. It is great the Powell's girls made up their own routine and they did a fantastic job. Estill's difficulty was on a MUCH higher level than Powell's, and that is why they won. And that honestly is not because of who made it up. It makes no difference who makes up the routines. If teams got extra points for making up their own routines, then my squad would make it to state every year, because I have made up the routines since I was a senior in high school, with input from the seniors on the squads after me.

Had they done the exact same routines, I can say that Powell probably would have won because they were so sharp and you could tell they were prepared. They looked great out there! But they did not have hardly any tumbling or jumps. If they had, that would have put them over the edge. I agree, Estill's pom routine was boring compared to Powell's, but it was still executed well. That is why the scores were so close.

If I could give any advice to Powell County, I would say that they just need to get more tumbling and jumps. They look great! And they did an excellent job making up their routines. I am sorry that the Estill girls were not nice, but as an outsider looking in (I don't even come from your region), I have seen posts in these threads that tells me the insults and cattiness (sp?) goes both ways. I know that if the judges had seen any indication that there was unsportsmanlike behavior, points would have been deducted from their score since there is a spot on the scoresheets for that.
Im pretty sure judges dont care where the routine came from, there isnt a box on the scoresheet that says "Did the team or someone else create their routine?". They care about how you sell it. --and thats exactly what Estill did. Just for your information, the girls DID make up the cheer, and altered the dance. And btw, Its a called "cheer camp".
Powell's dance was good, but boring. Estill's had the pep & excitment.
As far as the cheer goes...Estill has always been one of the teams with the most stunting and tumbling ability. Yes I agree, it could be cleaner. But the different difficulty levels between Estill's & Powell's cheer was quite a bit. Powell had what you call a "safe" routine --which made it look sharp. They had an easier cheer, simple stunting, less tumbles & formations. The dance was slower & less motions.

But everyone is going to have their opinions, but whatever.
Its all over and Estill brought home the trophy :]
Congrats girls & goodluck at STATE.
Powell can always send in a video to get a bid to State. They have slots open.
Pages: 1 2 3 4