Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Why State will win...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is a column from espn.com about why the Spartans will win the NCAA tourny (this is the team that beat out my Cats so you know i really dont like them but i must admit they have all the talent to win it)

The Michigan State seniors had been torched long enough. Spartans Alan Anderson, Chris Hill and Kelvin Torbert had been dissed too much the past two seasons.

Did anyone remember that they went to the Elite Eight two years ago? OK, we know, they had a stinker of a nonconference last season and flamed out in the first round of the NCAAs, but it's not like this team lacked talent. They had one off year for this program. Well, the MSU seniors basically let everyone who criticized them know that they can take their flak and bury it.

Add junior Paul Davis to the much-maligned group and you've got a cast of Spartans that should be screaming "We told you so" at the Final Four.

Iowa coach Steve Alford said Thursday night that the Spartans get in your grill from the opening tap. They let you know that if you're not ready to play, they'll take it right to you. Well, Michigan State let everyone know this in the NCAA Tournament.

They went right at Old Dominion in round one. The nice and cozy Vermont story got plowed in round two when Taylor Coppenrath couldn't find the bucket through the Spartans' D. And then Michigan State punked Duke in the Sweet 16 before outlasting Kentucky in the Elite Eight.

Sure, Kentucky had the shot of the day on Sunday when Patrick Sparks' 3 spun around the rim before falling in to force OT. But the Spartans, not the Wildcats, were the better-conditioned team. The Spartans, not the Wildcats, ran the break with more perfection. The Spartans, not the Wildcats, ran their offense without being flustered. And the Spartans, not the Wildcats, played with more poise when the game was on the line.

Experience matters in the NCAA Tournament. The Spartans failed to win a big game this regular season but found a way to come up with two last weekend. Beating Duke and Kentucky back-to-back should be lauded as one of the best achievements for these upperclassmen.

Now, if they get North Carolina, too? Why wouldn't the Spartans be able to take out Illinois or Louisville, as well?

Why They'll Win It
Balance. Michigan State can score at all five positions. The Spartans also play as tough a defense as anyone left in the field. Alford, who was the lone coach to play all four teams, said the Spartans' defense will challenge their opponent from the opening tip. The Spartans held Duke to 68 points and kept Vermont down at 61. The Spartans can lock teams down with their physical play and on-the-ball defense.

They're not Izzo's best rebounding team, but they'll still fight for the boards. Davis still needs to demand the ball in the post more often and crash the defensive backboard with as much authority. But the Spartans also get tremendous help on the boards from their wings. Anderson, Maurice Ager and Shannon Brown can all rebound. Opposing teams are shooting under 40 percent on 3s and are at 64 points a game on average.

Sure, there are potential weak spots if Davis is out of the game. But the Spartans do get decent role play from football wide receiver Matt Trannon, who can toss his weight around for a board or two. There also isn't a premium on experience. The Spartans weren't focused enough early in the season. Izzo had to smash video tapes to get their attention and the Spartans have gone through phases where they weren't finishing games. The losses at Wisconsin, at Indiana and to Iowa in the Big Ten tournament are examples.

But Izzo believes this team would get that it was still pretty good. The way he handled the Chris Hill-Drew Neitzel point guard controversy was perfect. Izzo had to ensure that Hill still felt like a part of the team, an integral part, once he made the move to go with Neitzel after the Illinois loss. He played more against Kentucky as Izzo went by feel to go with the more experienced player. The same could occur against Raymond Felton of North Carolina. Izzo also has been able to get Torbert to buy into coming off the bench, too.

Izzo is a master motivator and knows how to handle egos and temperamental players. Nothing this team has accomplished so far should come as a shock.

Who Could Stop Them?
Don't think for a minute that the Spartans can't run with North Carolina. They can. They might not choose to run all the time with the Tar Heels, though.

The Spartans value possessions and can't take any off against the Tar Heels. The biggest concern will be getting Davis help guarding Sean May. If May gets Davis into foul trouble then the Spartans will have to go deeper into the bench for forwards. That's where it could become dicey. They still have adequate defenders but don't have the scorers off the bench.

So, if Davis can stay on the court and go toe-to-toe with May then the Spartans have a legit chance. We know they'll play defense on North Carolina. We know they can score in the half court in the post and on the break. Sure, they can be suspect shooting the ball but they'll find other means to win.

Beating Duke and Kentucky should be enough to convince anyone that this team is fully capable of knocking off North Carolina, too.

And Illinois or Louisville? Hey, if the Spartans beat Duke-Kentucky-Carolina successively then Illinois or Louisville won't seem like much on Monday.
What did they do with it? Sorry dirty30 I don't do math. Which way is that? Really nothing? Oh. That's true, they might. Do you know the smallest concern will be getting Davis help guarding Sean May? You've got my full attention. I hadn't thought of that.
well i think they will win now because three senior starters for state that will give it their all to return state to their glory days
Ill still even after reading that take the most talented team in the tournament UNC. I like to seem them stop Sean May when he is running. He is unstoppable going through the lane. He got many baskets like that against Wisconsin and I expect the same this game.
I expect Sean May to have a huge game and a huge final four and lead the Heels to the Championship!
i dont thin UNC will win ..state deserves it more with three of their starters seniors...but williams the head coach of UNC will pretty much have the same squad next year and they can win it then
You dont think UNC will win because State deserves it more ....good reason.... :roll:

So what if they have seniors they arent the more talented team. But right now they are beating UNC so who knows what will happen.