Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Practice after a game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So do you think that it is okay to have practice after school, cheer a ball game, and then practice right after that ball game?

Do you think it is safe? :dontthink Just want opinions. Not talking about any certain school
A lot of squads do it especially around competition time. We (speaking from experience here) used to have to be at practice @ 5:30 am... practice until 7 or 7:30.... get ready, get to school, our 6th period was Advanced PE which meant... Cheerleading, so back to the gym we went until around 5:30 or 6:00 again..... Get ready, cheer a game, and then practice again for another hour AFTER the game. I put a TON of sweat and blood on that gym floor that they removed.....LOLOL..... (Phelps has a different floor now than they used to) We were good though..... VERY good!!
Sounds like you were very dedicated! I don't really have that much of a problem with it, because that's what we did when I cheered (practice b4 and after a game). But recently one of my really good friends had to practice after a ball game, and broke her ankle Sad So I thought it'd make a good topic
It does!! No prob with the topic.... Smile

YES.... we were VERY dedicated and LOVED what we did!!
We always did it in high school around competition time. It was really nice because people from the game would stay and watch. We never did it full-out because our coach was afraid of us getting hurt and was afraid the other team might see it (if it was a 15th region school). I don't see a problem with it; I don't think SC has done anything after a game this year but I think they are planning to.
I don't see anything wrong with it. But as with any sport, the more tired a person is, the more likely they are to suffer an injury. So the coach just has to balance everything.
sounds like it could be very draining and kinda dangerous if the girls dont take care of their body and stuff
I don't see anything wrong with it, if the squad has trained all year but when they have not practiced all summer and only cheered football games and had a very few good practices I would have to say not a good idea. I know someone this happened to and she was a very good cheerleader and loved cheering but now she is about to say " enough is enough". I hope that everything works out for her and her squad and best of luck at comp. to all.
From what experience that I personally have had it is draining!! Our coach worked us ALL summer long, (3 or 4 different camps) cardio workout, weightlifting, and practice. YET, when we left the gym we were exhausted!!

Pace yourselves.... start earlier on your competition stuff and ALWAYS follow KAPOS rules!!!
That's what I think makes it a little controversial. I think that some of these coaches think they have it in the bag, and come competition time they get panicky. So they wear out the cheerleaders and just throw all kinds of stuff at them (ideas, new stunts/cheers, new schedule) and this gets them confused and exhausted
That is what I mean by balance. The coach has to keep everything in balance and in perspective. If the coach overdoes it or makes the schedule suddenly too chaotic and girls get injured or don't do as well, that is the fault of the coach.