Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What grades are allowed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pike Central are going to be bringing eighth graders from their feeder schools on their varsity squad this week. Will the eighth graders be allowed to compete in Kapos? Just wondering.
PC Cheermom Wrote:Pike Central are going to be bringing eighth graders from their feeder schools on their varsity squad this week. Will the eighth graders be allowed to compete in Kapos? Just wondering.
I am pretty sure they can according to KAPOS. But the school can stop it if they want to.
I was wondering that too. I heard somewhere that they weren't supposed to...but I haven't really looked into it yet.
Yeah You are allowed to bring up 8th graders!
I know many school that have!
:0]
IF they have the same "ability" as the other girls then let em'.

Why would they need to do that though? If I'm not mistaken they were overflowing with cheerleaders?????
I guess cause no one wants to cheer for them...sad huh?
I recently heard that they pulled 4 cheerleaders from Johns Creek. So I guess it is allowed.
Well... JC is a feeder school for PC.... Let's just hope that those smaller girls can learn the routine, keep up, and be able to handle the pressure of KAPOS!!!

Good Luck!!!!
phs1986 Wrote:Well... JC is a feeder school for PC.... Let's just hope that those smaller girls can learn the routine, keep up, and be able to handle the pressure of KAPOS!!!

Good Luck!!!!

Thats what I was worried about. Plus if something happens, I wouldn't want anything to be blamed on them. But I guess it will be good experience. Good luck to them!
Yup they can be pulled up. I was and I LOVED it! I know Pikeville has some younger than 8th grade on one of their squads. SC pulled up 2 eighth graders this year. SC only pulls up if none of their alternates can handspring and someone gets hurt or moves away. Two of our girls had to move in the past 2 months.
Pikeville has one squad that is all 8th and under. The state considers them to be a varsity squad based on their ability to compete as a varsity squad and that they cheer for the girls varsity team.
I knew Pikeville had younger girls, but someone had told me a few years back that since they were an independent school that they were allowed to. So that's why I was a little confused.
Yeah, Central did pull some johns creek cheerleaders,,
but some of the girls thought it wasnt fair, because they think the coach has "favorites",
and the alleged favorites were the ones who made it.
and plus, the coach said the requirements were a roundoff tuck and flying experience.
and shes telling ppl she called all the eighth grade, when the truth was, she didnt call any more than 5/6.
and lastly, we all thought that it was just for two spots for the KAPOS routine, but it turns out that the 4 girls that made it get to cheer the rest of the ballgames with central.
soo yeah, seems a little fishy to me.
This doesn't surprise me, at all!

But do the girls that got "recruited" get to cheer for both teams, or do they just have to stay with PC? Thats what I was wondering about
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:This doesn't surprise me, at all!

But do the girls that got "recruited" get to cheer for both teams, or do they just have to stay with PC? Thats what I was wondering about

Cheerleading isn't sanctioned under KHSAA.... therefore it would probably be up to the two schools/coaches to decide about the cheerleading of the games. IMO... IF I were the coach... if they moved up.... they'd stay up. They would not be coming back down to cheer with the other girls. I personally don't think that it would be fair to the other girls. ****This is my OWN personal opinion***** AND BTW.... I have been a cheer coach before, been a KAPOS judge, and been a cheerleader (high school and college)...... SO...... I am NOT blindly making that opinion!! Smile
I agree. Because I think that that they are letting the other girls down. They have practiced with these girls all year and worked hard. Isn't Johns Creek competing? If so, they'd have to re-work everything because those girls left. But I completely agree with you, I'd do the same thing.
At SC the policy has always been that your middle school squad still comes first, and whatever activities you were in prior to cheering with the high school. I know some of the 8th graders in past would rather miss the other stuff and go to high school practice, but the coach makes sure to schedule practices for when they don't have prior obligations. They usually end up missing about 2 practices for thier middle school games, but it works out well. Also, you have to cheer 2 ballgames before KAPOS, for some reason I'm really not sure about, but that's how it's always been. I guess it's to make them feel and look more like a part of the team.
[quote=*SC*Cards*FaNaTiC*]At SC the policy has always been that your middle school squad still comes first, and whatever activities you were in prior to cheering with the high school. I know some of the 8th graders in past would rather miss the other stuff and go to high school practice, but the coach makes sure to schedule practices for when they don't have prior obligations. They usually end up missing about 2 practices for thier middle school games, but it works out well. Also, you have to cheer 2 ballgames before KAPOS, for some reason I'm really not sure about, but that's how it's always been. I guess it's to make them feel and look more like a part of the team.[/quote]

NOPE... that's not it!! Smile

They HAVE to cheer so many games in order to be able to compete... I would have to look the rule up on it BUT... they have to have the time in... I do know that!!!
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:I guess cause no one wants to cheer for them...sad huh?

I was reading back through this post and I saw where I wrote this. I did not mean this the way it came out!! I was just saying that out of the whole school, why didn't any one else try for it? I know a lot of girls who can tumble and were great cheerleaders in middle school, but they don't cheer in high school. I apologize if it made anyone mad. I truly didn't mean it that way
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:I was reading back through this post and I saw where I wrote this. I did not mean this the way it came out!! I was just saying that out of the whole school, why didn't any one else try for it? I know a lot of girls who can tumble and were great cheerleaders in middle school, but they don't cheer in high school. I apologize if it made anyone mad. I truly didn't mean it that way

Nice CCC..... :Cheerlead
Yeah, Theyre still cheering with Johns Creek, but its gonna be extremely hectic for them. And it basically is gonna screw up all of our ballgames, which sucks.
.bearcat.cheer. Wrote:Yeah, Theyre still cheering with Johns Creek, but its gonna be extremely hectic for them. And it basically is gonna screw up all of our ballgames, which sucks.

How do the girls that weren't "chosen" to move up feel about them cheering with them? I would imagine this would cause some problems.... ????:confused:
I know some of the girls are upset, but I know of a lot more parents who are even more upset!! Especially the ones who weren't even told about this opportunity
Sheww, everybody is so mad about this!!
Most of the 8th graders are furious, i know how they feel, considering i didnt get a call either, and found out about it from one of my friends.
Its a humongous mess!!!
The parents are furious, and so are the kids.
But, its nobodys fault but the coach considering the fact that she only called a few of the girls in time,, called some of the girls late the night after the first day, and some didnt even get a call.
It's not that strange that she did that though. At SC we pull up exactly who we want and usually only call them. Everybody over here is pretty understanding; some get mad but they know they will have an opportunity to compete for four years (if they tumble) so it's not a big deal.
But there was supposed to be equal opportunity. There are quite a few girls at JC who can throw pretty much anything and were not called. And Mullins has tumbling girls. So I don't think it was just tumbling/flying taken into consideration. I don't have a problem with them taking younger girls, I just think that it should have been done fairly. (as far as I know only a chosen few were called, if I'm wrong let me know pls)
I don't exactly know your all's situation, so it's very possible that she could have played favorites. But, I know when I help the coach select who to move up, I tell her who I know who can perform. Tumbling and stunting ability is the first thinkg I look for, then overall cheer ability. We call and pull up exactly who we wanted. One year we had a "try-out" to make it fair, but we still knew from the beginning exactly who we were taking. This year there were other 8th graders that could tumble and could have competed, but they just weren't up to par, so we didn't even call them. That's why I am saying that it is not so wierd that she did that.
*SC*Cards*FaNaTiC* Wrote:I don't exactly know your all's situation, so it's very possible that she could have played favorites. But, I know when I help the coach select who to move up, I tell her who I know who can perform. Tumbling and stunting ability is the first thinkg I look for, then overall cheer ability. We call and pull up exactly who we wanted. One year we had a "try-out" to make it fair, but we still knew from the beginning exactly who we were taking. This year there were other 8th graders that could tumble and could have competed, but they just weren't up to par, so we didn't even call them. That's why I am saying that it is not so wierd that she did that.

FAIR???? To go into a tryout and know ahead of time who you are picking and only do it to be "doing it" is NOT the proper way for it to be done. Tryouts cause pressure. They should be justified and let impartial people judge. If the girls perform under pressure then they should be good enough to compete..... I do not agree with this because of the stigma that it gives cheerleading......
The reason I put "try-out" in quotation marks is because it wasn't really a try-out. I guess I should have clarified myself to say, "to make it look like it was fair." At SC we don't have alot to choose from at the middle school level, so naturally we always know exactly who we are going to pull up, and if any outsider watched, they would know too. I don't know if you've seen our cheer programs, but we don't have alot in the way of tumbling at any level (but we are trying to change that). The way we do things is fair because we pick the ones with the best ability. It's not fair to the high school team or the middle schoolers to select someone who is less than mediocre. And we usually don't have to pull people up until about a month before KAPOS when high schoolers get hurt or move away, so why waste a whole evening (that we could practice) with a try-out and waste money tracking down and using impartial judges??? We even called two more last night that are coming to practice this evening! The middle schoolers here don't view it as "fair" or "unfair," they see it as an honor to be asked. And just because you disagree with it does not mean it's wrong, and it does not contribute to the stigma cheerleading has. All of those middle schoolers will get their chance, so I don't see why it is "so bad." We don't exactly have a winning tradition, so we do everything we can to start one.
*SC*Cards*FaNaTiC* Wrote:The reason I put "try-out" in quotation marks is because it wasn't really a try-out. I guess I should have clarified myself to say, "to make it look like it was fair." At SC we don't have alot to choose from at the middle school level, so naturally we always know exactly who we are going to pull up, and if any outsider watched, they would know too. I don't know if you've seen our cheer programs, but we don't have alot in the way of tumbling at any level (but we are trying to change that). The way we do things is fair because we pick the ones with the best ability. It's not fair to the high school team or the middle schoolers to select someone who is less than mediocre. And we usually don't have to pull people up until about a month before KAPOS when high schoolers get hurt or move away, so why waste a whole evening (that we could practice) with a try-out and waste money tracking down and using impartial judges??? We even called two more last night that are coming to practice this evening! The middle schoolers here don't view it as "fair" or "unfair," they see it as an honor to be asked. And just because you disagree with it does not mean it's wrong, and it does not contribute to the stigma cheerleading has. All of those middle schoolers will get their chance, so I don't see why it is "so bad." We don't exactly have a winning tradition, so we do everything we can to start one.

Evidently you misunderstood what I was saying.... ::::: In short ::::

Take a week at school and have girls who are interested go to the office, sign a paper stating that they want to "try-out" for a position that is open on the varsity squad. Take a Saturday (about an hour or so)...... have a couple of people (I would be willing and I used to be a judge--- to do it for free to help the squad out) come out and judge. In the end.... there would be NO DOUBT that you would get the "cream of the crop", and NO one... and I mean not one person would or could be able to say that favoritism was shown to certain girls. Whether you believe it or not, it causes hard feelings between girls and you will have parents "chatting" amongnst themselves. NOT saying you were wrong in doing what you all did. You have to make the program work and if the kids are willing to do this then GREAT!!! Also, it's great that you all are working on the things for future squads. I guess we are willing to agree to a certain extent and then.... willing to agree to disagree?? LOLOL....

Good Luck in competition... Keep up your hard work as well!!!
Pages: 1 2