Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Long season ahead for CATS!!!!!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As "Billy G" sits and chews on his nails, I sit here and founder on the thoughts of previous of the late 90's uk teams. I just wonder, what has this program came to. I never agreed to the hire of Gillispie in the first place and I understand this is the first year but hey, WE JUST BEAT AN 0-5 TEAM BY 10 POINTS!!! WOOOO NOW THAT'S UK BALL!!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Smile
Oh just a question, has anyone seen "Billy G" get up off the bench once to coach his team... NOT ME!!!!
I love the Cats, I'll be pulling for them everygame of the season no matter who they are playing and I'll watch them winning by 20 or down by 20 but this season might be one the worst ever. I know its Coach G's 1st year but I dont know even we even get 20 Wins this season.I would say somewhere around 17-21 is the most we get.I hope Coach G and my Cats prove me wrong because I would love to see a 25 win season but only time will tell.
The Cats will be okay, they will continue to find there identity throughout the season and win around 20-23 games. But if were not hitting three's, we will struggle... Go Big Blue!
MVP2 Wrote:I love the Cats, I'll be pulling for them everygame of the season no matter who they are playing and I'll watch them winning by 20 or down by 20 but this season might be one the worst ever. I know its Coach G's 1st year but I dont know even we even get 20 Wins this season.I would say somewhere around 17-21 is the most we get.I hope Coach G and my Cats prove me wrong because I would love to see a 25 win season but only time will tell.

Thats how i feel too.. I just don't think Gillispie is the man for this position. I have been upset since day 1..
I like the Gillispie hire, and I got to watch several games of his last season. He was always up and at em' when it came to coaching his players but his demeanor has changed so much this season. I haven't seen him make one adjustment all season when a team continues to do the same thing over and over again.

I think he'll be a great coach, he just needs to get into it a little more.
Give it time....they will come around
honestly though, there is only five or six games you can say will be well, SHOULD be forsure wins on the schedule for this bunch. sec play is always up to par so im not going to count any sec game a definate W..
^^^Yes in due time.
This guy that is ranting on about Gillispie is the exact reason why us UK fans get made fun of and called crazy. For Christs sake, he is in his first year, we haven't even got to see his how he wants these boys to play until they fully learn the system. He is doing a nice job recruiting, coaching and developing this team. By the way, I have seen him shout out more comments to his players than Tubby did in 9 years, give the guy a break, only time will tell, we can't even judge him based on this seasons performance.
mcfan1 Wrote:This guy that is ranting on about Gillispie is the exact reason why us UK fans get made fun of and called crazy. For Christs sake, he is in his first year, we haven't even got to see his how he wants these boys to play until they fully learn the system. He is doing a nice job recruiting, coaching and developing this team. By the way, I have seen him shout out more comments to his players than Tubby did in 9 years, give the guy a break, only time will tell, we can't even judge him based on this seasons performance.
let me tell you something buddy im just stating my opinion. people that point people out that state their opinions are the ones that give uk fans the bad rap. as i said before, i wasnt happy when the hire was made. THAT IS MY OPINION! EVERYONE IS ENTITILED TO AN OPINION!!!:mad: I dont care what anyone says, Tubby was a good coach and a lot of people didnt like his style, but hey, is anyone happy with anybody UK hires!? haha
mcfan1 Wrote:This guy that is ranting on about Gillispie is the exact reason why us UK fans get made fun of and called crazy. For Christs sake, he is in his first year, we haven't even got to see his how he wants these boys to play until they fully learn the system. He is doing a nice job recruiting, coaching and developing this team. By the way, I have seen him shout out more comments to his players than Tubby did in 9 years, give the guy a break, only time will tell, we can't even judge him based on this seasons performance.

I'm not going to say anything about Smith because he coached all the time, and hard.

As far as what you said about Gillispie. I have seen every game this season, most in person and have yet to see him shout out any comments. Not once.
Give Gillispie time to get his own recruits in here and I think you'll see a vast improvement. It looks to me like he's frustrated with the talent level that he has.

Also, I think you'll see him "off the bench" during the UNC game.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Give Gillispie time to get his own recruits in here and I think you'll see a vast improvement. It looks to me like he's frustrated with the talent level that he has.

The talent isn't that bad though. The talent we have this year - Morris managed to win over 20 games last season with the #1 strength of schedule. But the same team from last year managed to lose to a team that won 9 games last season.

Even if for some reason he is "frustrated" with the talent that's no excuse to just sit and not do a thing for an entire game (for several games now).

I have faith in him, like I said before but his pride needs to take a backseat to this team regardless if he likes what he has or not.
I look for a big change against UNC i think you will see gillispie get into it and start coaching like he did at A&M and by the time SEC play start this team will be better they will have learned the system and now how to play it and we will make the NCAA tourny just because we are Kentucky. But i can see a Sweet 16 this year if they can get everyone on the same page.
I like BCG as the coach, I've seen him sit on the bench and I've also seen him kneeling on the sidelines as he did tonight. Not much you can do if your team has 23 turnovers, don't play heads up defense, and can't knock down some open jumpers. I love his philosophy that you earn your playing time in practice regardless of what year you are. The players that are performing the best during the game are the ones that he will stick with for a while. Also the aggressiveness he demands from his team is ideal. I'm sure during timeouts he tells them what is going on but he can't pause the game and put them in the right spot, he can't catch the ball or make the passes that have been the all too common turnovers. It's mental lapses that are gutting this team. Sometimes teams play to the level of their opponent and sometimes they have off nights. Do I expect this team to be a Final Four team? No way. If we ever get Jasper and Meeks back it will help some. I think some of the problem is that some of the players haven't bought into his philosophy. Until that happens these lack luster efforts will continue. I know it is his job to coach the team, but why bust your hind end coaching when some of the players won't listen. We are where I thought we would be and in a way I'm glad we lost to GW so we wouldn't have been humiliated at Madison Square Garden. As the season goes on and no progress in the team's play is noticeable then I'd say start criticizing BCG. He has a couple of good recruits coming in next year to add along with what he brought this season so improvement is in the near future on talent level.
If they played the way they did tonight they will get run out of Rupp Sat. He better get some fire or he will get some sores on his bottom side because he will be sitting all season.
I think he is still trying to learn his team and is watching a lot to understand the players. No use going crazy if he doesn't know what buttons to push and such with his players yet. Give it time.
alfus21 Wrote:The talent isn't that bad though. The talent we have this year - Morris managed to win over 20 games last season with the #1 strength of schedule. But the same team from last year managed to lose to a team that won 9 games last season.

Even if for some reason he is "frustrated" with the talent that's no excuse to just sit and not do a thing for an entire game (for several games now).

I have faith in him, like I said before but his pride needs to take a backseat to this team regardless if he likes what he has or not.

No, the talent isn't bad, but maybe these aren't the kind of players BCG is used to, or that fit well in the type of offense/defense he wants to run.

I'm not sure Tubby got off the bench much during the first few games in years past either.

I really think we'll see a fired up BCG on Saturday.
This is one reason I'm strating not to get on these kinds of sites anymore. I realize the cupboard he inherited isn't empty, but it could be more full. It's easy to see the guys are still trying to find who they are as a team. At times they look confused, and at times they play very well together. Last night, they simply made bad mistakes, and didn't take care of the ball at all. You can't make an illadvised pass from half court every time you get it there. You're not going to blow an opponent out (even if they are 0-5) if you turn the ball over nearly 20 times, it's just that simple. There will be nights where shots won't fall, and last night was one of those nights. Not bad shots, a few forced ones, but overall, they just weren't falling. I'm glad to see it happened against Stony Brook than UNC or IU. Give the man time. It's still early, and they're still searching for their identity as a basketball team. They'll struggle, and they'll disappoint, but not everyone can win a National Title in their first year as head coach like Tubby did (not bashing Tubby, I thought he was a great coach). We just need to be patient, as hard as that may seem, and let the coaching staff work through it.

And as far as Gillispie yelling and running back and forth on the sidelines, so what if he doesn't do it. I don't see Coach K yelling til he's blue in the face either, and he seems to have done fairly well in Durham.
See alfus, the thing about him not saying much while the game is going on doesnt really bother me. those guys KNOW what to do. They have BEEN told what to do. While their on the floor, i think Coach G EXPECTS them to know what to do, and we are not ready for that yet. I see this as all part of some masterful plan that i have no idea about. Also, do you see him when a timeout is taken?? He RIPS those guys a new one if they do something wrong. Last night he told bradley he may as well just throw it to the other teams bench, it will save time. I love the guy, i think he was the absolute perfect hire for the program, but i dont know if some of our fellow fans have the patience to let it all take place...
corndog23 Wrote:See alfus, the thing about him not saying much while the game is going on doesnt really bother me. those guys KNOW what to do. They have BEEN told what to do. While their on the floor, i think Coach G EXPECTS them to know what to do, and we are not ready for that yet. I see this as all part of some masterful plan that i have no idea about. Also, do you see him when a timeout is taken?? He RIPS those guys a new one if they do something wrong. Last night he told bradley he may as well just throw it to the other teams bench, it will save time. I love the guy, i think he was the absolute perfect hire for the program, but i dont know if some of our fellow fans have the patience to let it all take place...

Yeah I'm a fan of the Gillispie hire too. Guess I'm just a little wired about this team right now. I'll be curious to see how he handles himself when the real games start(Saturday)
alfus21 Wrote:Yeah I'm a fan of the Gillispie hire too. Guess I'm just a little wired about this team right now. I'll be curious to see how he handles himself when the real games start(Saturday)

In my very honest and completely irrelevant opinion, coach G will have the same demanor as one......Orlando Smith. I think you will see a HUGE fireball of a man pacing the sidelines as if he had to win or die. might even see some sort of a satanic stare, ala The Tubster. Again, just my thoughts...but i believe thats what happens
ComfortEagle Wrote:Give Gillispie time to get his own recruits in here and I think you'll see a vast improvement. It looks to me like he's frustrated with the talent level that he has.

Also, I think you'll see him "off the bench" during the UNC game.

I agree!
I found something hilarious on Cats Pause. The guy said, "Pitino left Tubby a loaded team. Tubby left BCG a loaded baked potato from Rafferty's and Jodie Meeks." How true is that? lol.....
bevinsville_bomber Wrote:I found something hilarious on Cats Pause. The guy said, "Pitino left Tubby a loaded team. Tubby left BCG a loaded baked potato from Rafferty's and Jodie Meeks." How true is that? lol.....

The real question you have to ask yourself is this. Was Gardner Webb more talented than Kentucky? The answer is no. Which leaves what other explanation for the loss?

The team isn't that great, but they were good enough to win 22 games last year, and is still full of 4 and 5 star recruits. I don't really understand how people can say there is no talent on this team.
alfus21 Wrote:The real question you have to ask yourself is this. Was Gardner Webb more talented than Kentucky? The answer is no. Which leaves what other explanation for the loss?

The team isn't that great, but they were good enough to win 22 games last year, and is still full of 4 and 5 star recruits. I don't really understand how people can say there is no talent on this team.

I'm not saying they're a terrible team. But you take Morris and Meeks out, it's going to take a substantial hit to your team. When you have to look for Porter to score, and Coury to defend the post, you're in some serious trouble. Stony Brook was by far the worst team I've seen this year and they were in position to actually win the game pretty much the whole game. It was the worst exhibition I've seen Kentucky play. I was disgusted and left with 13:00 to go in the 2nd half. All i noticed was lackluster efforts, no intensity, and no desire to win. We should have dominated SB. It was ridiculous. North Carolina will be our first test, and we'll see how good we really are....
bevinsville_bomber Wrote:I'm not saying they're a terrible team. But you take Morris and Meeks out, it's going to take a substantial hit to your team. When you have to look for Porter to score, and Coury to defend the post, you're in some serious trouble. Stony Brook was by far the worst team I've seen this year and they were in position to actually win the game pretty much the whole game. It was the worst exhibition I've seen Kentucky play. I was disgusted and left with 13:00 to go in the 2nd half. All i noticed was lackluster efforts, no intensity, and no desire to win. We should have dominated SB. It was ridiculous. North Carolina will be our first test, and we'll see how good we really are....

Meeks played about the whole game vs. Gardner Webb. We had a ton more talent than them. So that wasn't the issue with that game.

And Stony Brook really was bad, but I'd take them over Texas Southern by 20 any day Smile. Heck TSU didn't even have a head coach. Their provost coached them.
alfus21 Wrote:Meeks played about the whole game vs. Gardner Webb. We had a ton more talent than them. So that wasn't the issue with that game.

And Stony Brook really was bad, but I'd take them over Texas Southern by 20 any day Smile. Heck TSU didn't even have a head coach. Their provost coached them.

Yea, they out-hustled us, out-rebounded, won the defensive battles, and just wanted to win more. I just hope to see more intensity from our guys. We've never had anyone that seemed to play with any intensity the last few years and that's what we have to have. We need someone to establish leadership qualities. To me, there hasn't been any signs of our seniors to step up and lead the team. Crawford has some spurts were he has played well, but at times, he and Bradley both are more complacent with themselves and that's when we look to Porter, Coury, and Stevenson for desperation. It may be adjusting to a new style of play (at least I hope), but I hope we work the kinks out because the thick of our schedule is coming up. It's bad when it seems like the only leader we have thus far is our freshman, Patterson. He wants to win and plays as hard as anybody on the team. I guess I'm one of the fans that expect a lot, but we all should. We shouldn't lose to teams like Gardner Webb, those guys are the teams that build confidence for the conference games. Has there been any word on the decision to red-shirt Meeks or not?
Kentucky is in a hard situation without Jodie Meeks and Derrick Jesper but trust me when these two guys our healthy look out. The Cats have loads of talent with Bradley, Crawford, Patterson, and Legion and many more. UK will be more than likely in the hunt for the SEC title this year and will easily win over 20 games. So give Billy G. a break its just his 1st season and I believe he will bring UK back to a very prestigous program like we had in the 90's.
Pages: 1 2