Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: BCS Needs A Playoff System... Bad!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They need this playoff system more than ever now, with about 8 teams that could've played for the BCS Championship this year. Who Agrees?
I don't think you are going to find many people that say no. Well, other than those who receive $$$ for having all of these pointless bowl games.
Beef Wrote:I don't think you are going to find many people that say no. Well, other than those who receive $$$ for having all of these pointless bowl games.
I have to disagree with you. Yeah I agree there has to be some kind of playoff system, take the top 4 teams and let them go at it, however, lol, I am a HUGE fan of these pointless bowl games. For more than the simple reason that I might be the only guy to watch them. I think it gives the smaller D1 schools some TV time to help them with recruiting, and to present themselves. And a lot of your stuggling programs can take a 6-5 season, make it to one of these bowls, and build on the bowl experience (like Rutgers a couple years back)..I would HATE to see them do away with any of the bowls, personally. For me, the more college football, the better. Those third week in December bowls give me something to watch besides Christmas movies, lol..
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I have to disagree with you. Yeah I agree there has to be some kind of playoff system, take the top 4 teams and let them go at it, however, lol, I am a HUGE fan of these pointless bowl games. For more than the simple reason that I might be the only guy to watch them. I think it gives the smaller D1 schools some TV time to help them with recruiting, and to present themselves. And a lot of your stuggling programs can take a 6-5 season, make it to one of these bowls, and build on the bowl experience (like Rutgers a couple years back)..I would HATE to see them do away with any of the bowls, personally. For me, the more college football, the better. Those third week in December bowls give me something to watch besides Christmas movies, lol..

Man, Couldnt said it any better. I LOVE the bowl games too and I watch them all because I just love college football and this time of year is whats worth living for! lol. I cant wait till they start!!!! I deff am a fan of the pointless bowl games!!!!
MVP2 Wrote:Man, Couldnt said it any better. I LOVE the bowl games too and I watch them all because I just love college football and this time of year is whats worth living for! lol. I cant wait till they start!!!! I deff am a fan of the pointless bowl games!!!!
Right on brother! If nobody else watches them, we'll watch em! lol..
I'm not against the bowls. I too love college football and watch almost everyone of the games. I would like to see something where they took the top 4 teams too. I mean they already have the National Championship a week after all the other bowls so why not have #1 v. #4 and #2 v. #3 then have these 2 play each other. There would still be bickering but it is worth the shot. Would just give more meaning to some games.

And the stat that I was looking for.....$2.1 Billion dollars will be paid out to college athletic programs over the next 10 years.
PLUS ONE!!!!!!!!!! Keep the bowl system and ad a plus one. That is all they need.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I have to disagree with you. Yeah I agree there has to be some kind of playoff system, take the top 4 teams and let them go at it, however, lol, I am a HUGE fan of these pointless bowl games. For more than the simple reason that I might be the only guy to watch them. I think it gives the smaller D1 schools some TV time to help them with recruiting, and to present themselves. And a lot of your stuggling programs can take a 6-5 season, make it to one of these bowls, and build on the bowl experience (like Rutgers a couple years back)..I would HATE to see them do away with any of the bowls, personally. For me, the more college football, the better. Those third week in December bowls give me something to watch besides Christmas movies, lol..

I hope that's not a knock on my ole buddy Ralphie, lol.

I agree with all the above, except I'd let the top 8 teams battle it out in a playoff. Heck there are 4-5 SEC teams that could beat anybody in the NCAA. It don't matter to me how many losses some of these teams have, when you play in a conference like the SEC and get the **** beat out of ya week in and week out it's tough to go unblemished.
Redneck Wrote:I hope that's not a knock on my ole buddy Ralphie, lol.

I agree with all the above, except I'd let the top 8 teams battle it out in a playoff. Heck there are 4-5 SEC teams that could beat anybody in the NCAA. It don't matter to me how many losses some of these teams have, when you play in a conference like the SEC and get the **** beat out of ya week in and week out it's tough to go unblemished.
lol, no its not a knock on ol RalphieSmile ..that and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation are my two favorite Christmas movies....however, I completely agree with you on the 8 teams, but the NCAA would never go for that, and the simple reason is that the SEC would be crowned the national champs 9 out of every 10 years..I'd like to see all the power conferences play a championship game, and send the winner to the playoffs, with a wild card or two thrown in (maybe a WAC, MWC or Conf-USA team)..BUT leaving the remaining 50 teams playing bowl games. THATS the perfect scenario, to me anyways, lol..
It's pretty simple, take 8 teams, which i believe would be your 4 major bowls, have a playoff. Your 2 winners from each side plays in the national championship game, from there down is your bowls, 3 vs 4, 5 vs 6, 7 vs 8.

It may be 10 teams to get the "BCS" bowls into play.
love it to happen but prolly never will
It would be great to have the top 10 teams draw to see who plays each other. And the 2 winning teams goes on to the BCS Bowl. Then all the teams that lost could be placed in a bowl game with the other teams that quaifly and have all the bowl games before the BCS Game..

Does that make any sense or did I just make myself look dumb lol
Maybe dumb Smile So are you saying base the Championship on a draw?
Let's think about some stuff....

If there was an eight team playoff,

1. LSU would still be sitting pretty.

2. Ohio State's last two games would have virtually meant nothing.... they chould have lost to Illinois and Michigan, and probably would be able to slide back into the top 8 because the Big Ten doesn't play after Thanksgiving

3. This weekend's games for Missouri would mean nothing at all, Oklahoma would need to win however...

4. West Virginia could lose by 50 and still be in the top 8

5. What are you going to do with Hawaii sitting at #12? There is a good chance they can win this week and still be be in the top 8....

My proposal: Same as Brad Edwards from ESPN (he is the BCS numbers cruncher), Go back to the old tie ins... Big Ten plays Pac 10 in the Rose Bowl every year, SEC winner goes to Sugar Bowl every year, Big XII goes to Fiesta Bowl every year, etc.... then add the plus one after the bowl games... it's not perfect (and no matter what never will be, the basketball tournament isn't), but I like the fact that the regular season means something.... unlike in basketball, where it is all for a seed....
The problem with most of the bowl games is the only people who really give a darn about them are the fans from the 2 schools who are playing, with the exception of a few folks around the nation that would watch any kind of college game if it's on, even Ivy League.....GO YELL for YALE!:letsparty

Also, except for the BCS Bowl games, and esecially the BCS Championship game, the rest are no different than a regular scheduled game during the season. They just don't have any meaning.

I'm for using the top bowls, whatever they are, to establish a playoff system of some type. Keep the other meaningless bowls if it is necessary to keep the money people happy, but nail down some kind of playoff system and come out with a true national champion.
Hey man not only is Christmas one of my favorite time of the year, but so is Capital One Bowl Week! lol, heck you get to see better action in the lesser known bowls than the BCS bowls I think. A lot of great College Football rolling around Christmas time.

Found this on one of my favorite sites, thought you guys would enjoy it...http://www.wcky.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

2007 NCAA Division I Football National Championship Tournament
From: Tony Giordullo...former Sports Producer/ Photographer at Channel 5.
Current Executive Producer of Sports at WTHR in Indy.
All 11 Conference Champions are in. At Large are top 5 teams not conference champions in the BCS rankings. Conference Champions are ranked 1 thru 11 regardless of whether an at-large team is ahead of them in the BCS Rankings. Obviously there are conference championships at stake this weekend, but this is just a sample of matchups if it ended November 26.
As of November 26
1st Round - at Higher Seeds Home Stadium
December 15
16. Florida (SEC At-Large)
1. Missouri (Big 12 Champion)

9. Central Florida (C-USA Champion)
8. Brigham Young (Mt West Champion)

12. Georgia (SEC At-Large)
5. USC (PAC 10 Champion)

13. Kansas (Big 12 At Large)
4. LSU (SEC Champion)

15. Oklahoma (Big 12 At Large)
2. West Virginia (Big East Champion)

10. Central Michigan (MAC Champion)
7. Hawaii (WAC Champion)

11. Troy (Sun Belt Champion)
6. Boston College (ACC Champion)

14. Virginia Tech (ACC At Large)
3. Ohio State (Big 10 Champion)

Week 2 Quarterfinals - At Bowl Site
December 22
1. New Orleans Bowl - Superdome
Florida/ Missouri winner vs UCF/ BYU winner

2. Texas Bowl - Reliant Stadium
Georgia/ USC winner vs Kansas LSU winner

3. San Diego Poinsetta Bowl - Qualcomm Stadium
West Virginia/ Oklahoma winner vs Central Michigan/ Hawaii winner

4. Detroit Motor City Bowl - Ford Field
Boston College/ Troy winner vs Virginia Tech/ Ohio State winner

Week 3 Semi-Finals at Bowl Site
January 2 (Rotate between the Big 4 New Years Day Bowls. 2 Years in, 2 years out)
Orange Bowl - Miami Dolphins Stadium
New Orleans Bowl winner vs Texas Bowl winner
Rose Bowl - Pasedena
Poinsetta Bowl winner vs. Motor City Bowl winner

Week 4 National Championship - Put game wherever you want. Chances are it will sell out and be just as big, if not bigger than the Super Bowl.
Orange Bowl winner vs Rose Bowl winner

* Home field advantage to top 8 teams. Everyone else in NCAA football playes this way.
* Eliminates 4 Bowls for the 7 win bowl eligible teams. Like a 7-5 team deserves a bowl game.Chances are more people would go to a National Quarter Final Bowl Game as opposed to Big 10 #7 vs MAC 1 or 2.
* Chances are that the 4 teams that end up in the semi final new year's day bowls would have been there anyway.
* 1st Round Gates split with teams and conferences
* Rest of payout just like NCAA Basketball structure. Winning schools deserve nice cut and share with conferences.
* Don't you think ESPN/ABC would go for this ??????? 8 Meaningful College games on one day !!!!!!
What do you think?
-STAT- Wrote:Hey man not only is Christmas one of my favorite time of the year, but so is Capital One Bowl Week! lol, heck you get to see better action in the lesser known bowls than the BCS bowls I think. A lot of great College Football rolling around Christmas time.
Agreed! And I like the fact that the smaller schools get to represent themselves on national television...I also like the Division II and III playoffs on ESPN, which to me, is some of the best football played. PERIOD. Big Grin ..Christmas and football. Celebrating the birth of baby Jesus, and watching Arkansas State take on Tulsa. Perfect, lol..
jammin' jamey Wrote:Found this on one of my favorite sites, thought you guys would enjoy it...http://www.wcky.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

All 11 Conference Champions are in. At Large are top 5 teams not conference champions in the BCS rankings. Conference Champions are ranked 1 thru 11 regardless of whether an at-large team is ahead of them in the BCS Rankings. Obviously there are conference championships at stake this weekend, but this is just a sample of matchups if it ended November 26.
As of November 26
December 15

5. USC (PAC 10 Champion)

4. LSU (SEC Champion)

7. Hawaii (WAC Champion)

December 22

January 2 (Rotate between the Big 4 New Years Day Bowls. 2 Years in, 2 years out)
Rose Bowl - Pasedena

Week 4 National Championship - Put game wherever you want. Chances are it will sell out and be just as big, if not bigger than the Super Bowl.

* Home field advantage to top 8 teams. Everyone else in NCAA football playes this way.
* Eliminates 4 Bowls for the 7 win bowl eligible teams. Like a 7-5 team deserves a bowl game.Chances are more people would go to a National Quarter Final Bowl Game as opposed to Big 10 #7 vs MAC 1 or 2.
* Chances are that the 4 teams that end up in the semi final new year's day bowls would have been there anyway.
* Rest of payout just like NCAA Basketball structure. Winning schools deserve nice cut and share with conferences.
* Don't you think ESPN/ABC would go for this ??????? 8 Meaningful College games on one day !!!!!!
What do you think?
What do I think? Nobel Peace prizes were handed out for less. Genius. However, I'd let those 16 teams play for the championship, with the other 42 teams playing in bowls..
jammin' jamey Wrote:Found this on one of my favorite sites, thought you guys would enjoy it...http://www.wcky.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

As of November 26
December 15

5. USC (PAC 10 Champion)

4. LSU (SEC Champion)

7. Hawaii (WAC Champion)

December 22

Rose Bowl - Pasedena

What do you think?

Yea I saw that and though it was pretty neat.

This is something what I was thinking about (Beef) lol..
A playoff system would be awesome, a lot of upsets and stuff, but as said before, the bowl games help recruiting and bring in money.
yes i agree. Its only fair to teams 3 & 4. and A High number seed could step it up and come out on top. Love to see UK do that...

I say we send a petition. LOL
I say yes to that.
RavenBoy Wrote:I say yes to that.

Is that even possible? lol
Of course they need one. The list of benefits of a playoff system over the crap they currently do is endless. But when you get down to it the only reason colleges have sports teams is to make money and the bowl games bring it way too much sponsership money for them to even consider letting it go.

Its always nice to dream though..