Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Jodie Meeks OUT 4 to 6 Weeks (Updated)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The injury bug appears to have bitten the basketball Wildcats again. Multiple sources tell 27 SportsFirst that guard Jodie Meeks will be out of action indefinitely, suffering from a stress fracture in his groin area. The extent of the injury isn’t known, but the initial assessment has Meeks missing up to four weeks.

Meeks, a sophomore from Norcross, Georgia, hasn’t practiced since the day after UK’s stunning loss to Gardner-Webb last week. UK officials would neither confirm, nor deny, the story. Coach Billy Gillispie isn’t scheduled to speak to the media until next week.

The 6-foot-4 guard scored 34 points in UK’s exhibition game against Pikeville. Meeks was selected a freshman All-American by Collegeinsider.com.

The Wildcats host Liberty next Wednesday

http://www.wkyt.com/sports/headlines/11259156.html
This is a tough break! We need Meeks on the court!
Wow, don't know what to say. Going to be a long season for the cats.
Ramel Bradley was also seen wearing a protective boot around campus the last couple of days.

Harris is out 4-6 weeks.

And Jasper is also out indefinitely as well.
Well crap may be a long year
Oh no, we suck again!!! Smile
A stress fracture will sideline Kentucky guard Jodie Meeks for four to six weeks, the player's father said Wednesday.

The player and his family learned of the injury on Tuesday. "A stress fracture in the pelvic region," Orestes Meeks said.

Meeks isn't sure exactly when the injury occurred, his father said.

"Probably in the Seattle game," the elder Meeks said referring to UK's second exhibition game. "I thought I saw him get hurt. He hit the floor one too many times."

When asked about his son's mood, Orestes Meeks said, "He was a little disappointed at first. I tried to encourage him. He can come back. The doctors say it's not career threatening."

Meeks, who was named a freshman All-American by Collegeinsider.com, began his sophomore season with a bang. He scored 34 points in Kentucky's exhibition victory over Pikeville College. In that game, he made 10 of 12 shots, including seven of nine attempts from three-point range.

Kentucky played Seattle in its second exhibition game. Beginning with the Seattle game, Meeks has made six of 25 shots (three of 12 from beyond the arc).

This pre-season and early-season period has seen UK hit with many injuries. Another sophomore, Derrick Jasper, has yet to play as he tries to return from microfracture knee surgery in June.

Jared Carter has played two minutes as he tries to return from two shoulder surgeries.
Joe Crawford missed several weeks in the pre-season because of knee pain.

Ramon Harris and Perry Stevenson sustained broken noses. Michael Porter suffered a concussion.

Meeks will not need surgery, his father said. Doctors prescribed rest and therapy.
The elder Meeks noted a risk involved in returning too soon.

"If he comes back too soon and reinjures it, the rehabilitation could start all over again," Orestes Meeks said. "He needs the proper rest and treatment. The kind of person Jodie is, he played two games, I believe, with an injury. He'll keep trying to play. He won't tell you he can't play. He's not ever going to walk away."

But Meeks will have to stay off the court for the next several weeks.

"I still expect Jodie to have a great season," his father said. "It's just going to take longer."

http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/230605.html
Hate to say it, but there goes any shot we had to knock off North Carolina or Indiana. Also makes the games with UAB and Houston look a bit iffy.

Oh well, hopefully he will be back and ready to go before the Louisville game and then the SEC slate!