Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Did "Gameday" Practice Hurt Kentucky?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This seems to be an excuse being thrown around for UK's loss to Gardner-Webb...I personally don't buy it and after reading this article, I really don't buy into it.

http://www.kentucky.com/269/story/225774.html

Are Gillispie's practices the day of games counter-productive? Did practices Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons contribute to UK's wilting defense Tuesday and Wednesday nights? Are practices on the day of games a radical approach that leads to tired legs? A quick check around the country found that practices on the day of games are a common occurrence.

The article goes on to mention...

"Everybody does it differently," the Syracuse coach said. "Rick went full scrimmage (on game day) in '96 and they did all right." Kentucky won the national championship, beating a supposedly better-rested Syracuse in the finals.

What do you think?
These first few games mean absolutely nothing. The real games start when conference play starts. I don't think it hurts at all to practice them on game day. This team needs all the practice they can get right now. This is a new starting line-up, and new players that need to adjust to playing with one another. I say practice the heck out of them, then they should be well conditioned come conference time. We all know that UK can go 0-10 until the conference play starts, win every conference game, win the SEC championship and still end up around a 4 seed for the tournament. That's what really matters, not these lower level games.
BCF4L Wrote:These first few games mean absolutely nothing. The real games start when conference play starts. I don't think it hurts at all to practice them on game day. This team needs all the practice they can get right now. This is a new starting line-up, and new players that need to adjust to playing with one another. I say practice the heck out of them, then they should be well conditioned come conference time. We all know that UK can go 0-10 until the conference play starts, win every conference game, win the SEC championship and still end up around a 4 seed for the tournament. That's what really matters, not these lower level games.

I agree.
BCF4L Wrote:These first few games mean absolutely nothing. The real games start when conference play starts. I don't think it hurts at all to practice them on game day. This team needs all the practice they can get right now. This is a new starting line-up, and new players that need to adjust to playing with one another. I say practice the heck out of them, then they should be well conditioned come conference time. We all know that UK can go 0-10 until the conference play starts, win every conference game, win the SEC championship and still end up around a 4 seed for the tournament. That's what really matters, not these lower level games.

I agree with you that this loss doesn't hurt as bad as many think but if we go 0-10 in conference and win the SEC championship we'll be worse than a 4 seed Smile. Have you looked at the non conference schedule? I know you were just saying that to use as a situational type of thing but if we lose 9 more out of conference games the team might disband before SEC play starts Smile.

But I agree. The 2nd half matters much much more. The only way this loss hurts is if we don't win the conference and lose 12-13 games. This would look bad on our bubble rep sheet for a bid.
Hopefully this article will shut some people up.....Just because we've not had hard practices on gameday the past 10 years doesn't mean it's wrong.....These types of practices will begin to benefit the team by the start of conference play.....They'll be in better shape and wear their opposition down.
Football Frenzy Wrote:These types of practices will begin to benefit the team by the start of conference play.....They'll be in better shape and wear their opposition down.
Or they will have dead legs and get blown out.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Or they will have dead legs and get blown out.
I kind of look at this as a conditioning program. The more you lift, or run, the stronger you become. I think most of these guys were out of shape, and Gillispie is trying to find a way to build their stamina up.
alfus21 Wrote:I agree with you that this loss doesn't hurt as bad as many think but if we go 0-10 in conference and win the SEC championship we'll be worse than a 4 seed Smile. Have you looked at the non conference schedule? I know you were just saying that to use as a situational type of thing but if we lose 9 more out of conference games the team might disband before SEC play starts Smile.

But I agree. The 2nd half matters much much more. The only way this loss hurts is if we don't win the conference and lose 12-13 games. This would look bad on our bubble rep sheet for a bid.
Figuratively speaking. Smile
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Or they will have dead legs and get blown out.

They're 18,19,20,21,22 year old kids that are playing division 1 basketball for the most storied program in college basketball......They will adjust in time!