Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Herald Leader 1A Rankings 2022
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Class 1A Rankings 2022

1. Pikeville
2. Raceland
3. Newport Central Catholic
4. Hazard
5. Kentucky Country Day
6. Paintsville
7. Bethlehem
8. Williamsburg
9. Russellville
10. Louisville Holy Cross

Others: Crittenden, Bishop Brossart, Sayre, Campbellsville, Ludlow, Frankfort, Nicholas County, Betsy Layne, Fulton County, Eminance. 

Thoughts?
Looks about right. Not much of a gap between 1 and 2. Jmo
Hazard is gonna shock some
People!
(08-09-2022, 12:36 PM)Show-stopper Wrote: [ -> ]Hazard is gonna shock some
People!

Won’t be a shock for hose that know Hazard and been around the mountains.
Looks good to me. It's nice seeing the Bobcats getting some votes.
Looking for a good run for Williamsburg this year.
(08-09-2022, 05:27 PM)64SUR Wrote: [ -> ]Looking for a good run for Williamsburg this year.
They might squeak into the finale four depending on how the RPI goes for them. But their schedule isn’t much
Honestly…..1A appears to be a layup for Pikeville. There is a definite gap between 1 and everyone else.
(08-09-2022, 06:15 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly…..1A appears to be a layup for Pikeville.  There is a definite gap between 1 and everyone else.

Raceland bring their whole team. Although I think Pikeville is the clear favorite Raceland will be no slouch.
Williamsburg is not what people expect, they won't compete with the the other big four of the east. Watched them last year and was shocked by how far behind they really are.
(08-09-2022, 08:31 PM)I’m Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2022, 06:15 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly…..1A appears to be a layup for Pikeville.  There is a definite gap between 1 and everyone else.

Raceland bring their whole team. Although I think Pikeville is the clear favorite Raceland will be no slouch.
Pikeville is the absolute clear favorite.  I don’t see Anyone in 1A….including Raceland playing within 2-3 TD’s of the Panthers.  It is what it is.  Injuries could certainly cloud the picture….but right now …the clear choice rests with Pikeville.
usually, when looking at my team scrimmage , or even play a full game, I look at the QB and skill players and the plays that were made. That wasn't the case Saturday when the Pikeville/JC scrimmage took place. when I saw the film, I immediately was drawn to the line play. Johnson Central is Johnson Central. A very good 4-A football team always putting a big huge line and complete team on the field. Pikeville went toe to toe with them and held their own. Several have described it as a draw. Pikeville's line is HUGE and stout! Now, this doesn't even consider the running QB plays as well as runs by Blake Birchfield and others. Really don't think coach wanted to show much in that area which is understandable. Going back to the line. The last couple years the O lines have been compared to the 87/88 lines of those days. Jmo, and I know it was just a scrimmage, this season's O and D lines could be even better. MAYBE the best to have played at PHS, and I never thought that would've been possible. We will see. Good luck to all football playing Schools this upcoming season!!

whil
Pikeville lost some key players from last year but still the favorite to win it. Raceland might put up a fight if they meet in the postseason but no one else will beat the Panthers.
Pikeville still has Birchfield and while their QB play will look at bit different, it will still pose problems bc the kid from PCC is an incredible athelete. This backfield reminds me of the Batallie/Pugh or Charles/Hall one-two punch. With Hensley being the Estep-esk kid on the outside. The difference though, is, even with what they lost, Pikevilles OL is better this season than in those two years. Pikevilles defense is also better now than it was then. Make no mistake, this Ram fan knows what Pikeville is bringing to the table. Mac has always adapted his offense and scheme to the hand he has been delt from a personel standpoint. Arguably the best coached team in 1A the last 5 years. Raceland has the skill guys, and defensively will be better than they have been in probably a decade, Racelands success rests on the shoulders of the OL, imo.
Personally fine with the rankings. I would rank the 4 from the East above the rest until, you know, the West beat us in a football game.

Pikeville and Raceland deserve the hype because of what they have returning.

Hazard and Paintsville are underdogs this year which is understandable and probably right where they want to be.
No offense PHS2000, but I wouldn’t put Paintsville in the top 5 this year. I just don’t see how they’ll have the beef up front or depth to compete this year. As for Hazard no one up this way is calling them an underdog, they played Pikeville closer in the playoffs last year than anyone not named Russellville. Williamsburg also played pretty well at least offensively against Pikeville.
And in the West, Bethlehem played Russellville fairly close in the semis last year and I got to see some of their kids at a camp this Spring and I was pretty impressed.
So I’d put Pikeville/Raceland as a toss up.
Then Hazard, Bethlehem, Williamsburg rounding out my top 5.
Then, Russellville , New Cath, KCD and Paintsville all vying for those next 4 spots
I would have it....
1. Pikeville
2. Hazard
3. Raceland

Don't know about the rest
(08-10-2022, 11:33 AM)Micro-Brew Wrote: [ -> ]No offense PHS2000, but I wouldn’t put Paintsville in the top 5 this year. I just don’t see how they’ll have the beef up front or depth to compete this year. As for Hazard no one up this way is calling them an underdog, they played Pikeville closer in the playoffs last year than anyone not named Russellville. Williamsburg also played pretty well at least offensively against Pikeville.
And in the West, Bethlehem played Russellville fairly close in the semis last year and I got to see some of their kids at a camp this Spring and I was pretty impressed.
So I’d put Pikeville/Raceland as a toss up.
Then Hazard, Bethlehem, Williamsburg rounding out my top 5.
Then, Russellville , New Cath, KCD and Paintsville all vying for those next 4 spots
All fair points. I said Hazard is an underdog simply because they are in Pikeville’s district.
If Paintsville can develop their offense to where 11 guys can't key on H Phelps they will be dangerous in a loser goes home playoff situation.
First 6 games for PIkeville:

#4 4A Corbin
#4 5A Covington Catholic
#6 1A Paintsville
#2 3A Belfry
#2 2A LCA
#12 overall Howell ratings 6A Madison Central (haven't seen 6A LH ratings)

Then after Sayre comes #9 1A Russellville and #4 1A Hazard.
(08-10-2022, 03:59 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: [ -> ]I would have it....
1. Pikeville
2. Hazard
3. Raceland

Don't know about the rest

1. Raceland - Returns everyone & added a few including all state linebacker from Ohio
2. Pikeville - Lost 3 All State kids who contributed heavily Hammock, Lockhart, & 3 year signal caller McNamee can the young Panthers step up
3. Newport Central Catholic - Thoroughbreds finally rise out of the west after dropping back down to single A
4. Hazard - Couple of additions enough to get over the hump?
5. Paintsville - Phelps needs help from somewhere
6. Williamsburg - Can the Jackets make the leap back into title contention
^Hopefully the all state linebacker from Ohio can tackle Birchfield because nobody they had could last year. LOL just messing with Scotty and RD50 and the other Ram faithful on here. But seriously I worry about Hazard more than Raceland. Hazard played much better defense last year - twice.
We have been softer the last few years than we have ever been. Havent tackled like we used to. Reaply, defensively, we havent had a lock down group of 11 like we did in our regional 3 peat years. We have given up alot of big plays the last 2 years as well. We gotta get better there if we want to get to where we all want to be.
(08-10-2022, 08:43 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: [ -> ]We have been softer the last few years than we have ever been. Havent tackled like we used to. Reaply, defensively, we havent had a lock down group of 11 like we did in our regional 3 peat years. We have given up alot of big plays the last 2 years as well. We gotta get better there if we want to get to where we all want to be.
We've never won three regional titles in a row. We've had a couple of two-peats, & five total (2013, 2014, 2017, 2018 & 2021).

(08-10-2022, 06:46 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]^Hopefully the all state linebacker from Ohio can tackle Birchfield because nobody they had could last year. LOL just messing with Scotty and RD50 and the other Ram faithful on here. But seriously I worry about Hazard more than Raceland. Hazard played much better defense last year - twice.
Well JP, as my namesake always says, "To be the man, you've got to beat the man." Until someone beats Pikeville they're the man.
^Obviously it can be done. I'm hoping for the semis to be Hazard at Raceland and whoever else at Pikeville lol...