Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland Blazer vs Lexington Catholic @ Cabell Midland, WV 8/12
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ashland Blazer vs Lexington Catholic at Cabell Midland, West Virginia 8/12

Who you got?
Pretty big step up for Ashland to play Lexington Catholic, whose only losses last year were to teams who played in the final game of the season at Kroger Field. I wonder if this will be played like a real game?
I was watching some interviews from the Lexinton Catholic coach after the Freddy D scrimmage and sounds like they are in building mode.
I saw the interview you mentioned, McPeek did not seem very impressed with Catholic and Bert B was doing some sunshine pumpin re: his squad.

Really too bad Smith ever took the HC position. He did nothing to advance the program. The teams from 2020 and 2021 lost to 2 schools in that time frame - Boyle County and LCA. Have to believe that if the HC was not the 1st one out the building after practice every day, there was enough talent on those 2 teams possibly make some noise in playoffs.

2020 LCA regular season- Catholic lost on a FG on the last play of the game. The game should have gone into OT as on 2nd to last play, LCA threw into the end zone and Xavier Brown flipped from offensive WR to DB to prevent the interception. Got there way early but no flag.

2020 Boyle County regular season - Boyle ran the same play all game, doubling the NG, pulled LG and then run over the MLB who was trying to fill the hole (ie could not get out of the way fast enough). That kid ended up on everyone else's highlight reel.

2020 Boyle County playoff - After trying to run the QB right, then left and then up the middle, the OC decided to open it up in the 2nd half after trailing 28- 3. Ended up losing 48 - 41 and the funny part is they fired the OC!
and not the the HC / DC

2021 LCA - Absolutely ANNILATED Catholic. It was a no contest.

2021 Boyle regular season LC - Catholic lost 13-9? but certainly had their to win.
2021 Boyle playoff - Catholic had a terrible week of practice with many starters not participating until Thursday either because of illness or injury, Boyle came out and scored early and often and left no doubt who was the better team. Boyle was rolling by this point in the season. It would have taken a herculean task for Catholic to win this game.

Bert B is gonna get this turned around but it won't be this year. Current junior class went to State Championship game as 8th graders, they could make some noise in 2023 if they get any help from underclassmen. 2024 class has lots of good athletes. Class of 2025 definitely has 2 kids that will factor in this season, the rest of the 2025 class talent level is TBD.

On a side note Catholic freshmen team this year plays. Louisville St X, Moeller and Male. New turf scheduled to be installed summer of 2023.
(08-07-2022, 09:26 PM)Iggyfan Wrote: [ -> ]I saw the interview you mentioned, McPeek did not seem very impressed with Catholic and Bert B was doing some sunshine pumpin re: his squad.

Really too bad Smith ever took the HC position. He did nothing to advance the program. The teams from 2020 and 2021 lost to 2 schools in that time frame  - Boyle County and LCA. Have to believe that if the HC was not the 1st one out the building after practice every day, there was enough talent on those 2 teams possibly make some noise in playoffs.

2020 LCA regular season- Catholic lost on a FG on the last play of the game. The game should have gone into OT as on 2nd to last play, LCA threw into the end zone and Xavier Brown flipped from offensive WR to DB to prevent the interception. Got there way early but no flag.

2020 Boyle County regular season - Boyle ran the same play all game, doubling the NG, pulled LG and then run over the MLB who was trying to fill the hole (ie could not get out of the way fast enough). That kid ended up on everyone else's highlight reel.

2020 Boyle County playoff - After trying to run the QB right, then left and then up the middle, the OC decided to open it up in the 2nd half after trailing 28- 3. Ended up losing 48 - 41 and the funny part is they fired the OC!
and  not the the HC / DC

2021 LCA - Absolutely ANNILATED Catholic. It was a no contest.

2021 Boyle regular season LC - Catholic lost 13-9? but certainly had their to win.
2021 Boyle playoff - Catholic had a terrible week of practice with many starters not participating until Thursday either because of illness or injury, Boyle came out and scored early and often and left no doubt who  was the better team. Boyle was rolling by this point in the season. It would have taken a herculean task for Catholic to win this game.

Bert B is gonna get this turned around but it won't be this year. Current junior class went to State Championship game as 8th graders, they could make some noise in 2023 if they get any help from underclassmen. 2024 class has lots of good athletes. Class of 2025 definitely has 2 kids that will factor in this season, the rest of the 2025 class talent level is TBD.

On a side note Catholic freshmen team this year plays. Louisville St X, Moeller and Male. New turf scheduled to be installed summer of 2023.

I think so too, I liked the interview. I have heard nothing but good things about him. Good stuff!
Isn’t there a 4th team playing in the scrimmage?
(08-10-2022, 12:02 PM)Nygfan106wins Wrote: [ -> ]Isn’t there a 4th team playing in the scrimmage?

Do not know......... Lexington Catholic working.....
(08-10-2022, 12:02 PM)Nygfan106wins Wrote: [ -> ]Isn’t there a 4th team playing in the scrimmage?
My understanding is there's multiple teams across WV, KY, and OH playing at Cabell Midland on Friday and Saturday.  I'd love to see a schedule, but C-M website just says: SCRIMMAGE BASH @ MIDLAND MULTIPLE TEAMS WV KY OHIO
7-0 Lex cath around 8 to go in the 2nd.
14-0 around 2 to go in the 2nd
clock isn't stopping tonight so 14-0 after 2.
2 picks so far tonight for the knights.
21-0 11:59 3rd
21-7 1:05 3rd going to intermission, they will play 3 more quarters after 10 minute break.
28-7 8:46 4th
28-7 after 4.
35-7 5th quarter
35-7 after 5.
35-14 6th
35-21 after 6.
It was younger players toward the end.
I'd say Lex Cath was 2-4 td's better than Ashland Varsity easy.
Good of PrepSpin to show this.

Ashland’s offense looks better than I thought it would be. Houston is a good receiver and Strader throws a good ball downfield. They have a couple other good receivers as well in Jennings and Asher Adkins. Going to be a constant debate for Ashland fans between the offensive coordinator trying to play it safe with screens and runs up the middle or rather to just open up the offense.

Offense aside, though, the defense needs work. Not sure whether it’s personnel or scheme, but they picked up right where they left off last season giving up 394 yards passing to Russell and then 262 yards rushing against East.