Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell @ Boyd County Scrimmage/Grid (8/5)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Paintsville was supposed to be there but it will now just be Russell vs. Boyd County at Boyd County at 7pm.

I wonder if they will play it like a regular game or controlled scrimmage?
Did anyone make it to Boyd County and have any results?
(08-06-2022, 01:04 PM)timocee Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/i/status/1555742337468452865

Nice!
Remember that name, Malachi Wheeler #2. Played at Coal Grove, Ohio a couple of years ago. Suffered an acl knee injury and rehabbed. Didn't play in 2021 from what I can find out. At Boyd County now. I counted 5 missed tackles on that play.
(08-06-2022, 01:04 PM)timocee Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/i/status/1555742337468452865

What was the Final Score?
(08-06-2022, 01:30 PM)timocee Wrote: [ -> ]Remember that name, Malachi Wheeler #2. Played at Coal Grove, Ohio a couple of years ago. Suffered an acl knee injury and rehabbed. Didn't play in 2021 from what I can find out. At Boyd County now. I counted 5 missed tackles on that play.

What was the final score of the scrimmage/grid or do you not know?
Wasn't there. Don't know.
Thanks, I appreciate the link to the video even if it was a Boyd player Scoring a td. I saw all those missed tackles. I think number 3 for Russell would have been better off just trying to force the Boyd player out of bounds. Russell gave up a lot of running yardage last year. I hope it ends up being better than last year at the end of the season.
Goreddevils, I'll include a link here to Boyd County football's facebook page where someone posted 144 photos of the scrimmage. The pics are slanted of course in Boyd's favor. After looking at the photos, it appears Boyd had 4 or 5 tds and doesn't show any tds for Russell.  Just click on the arrow on the right to look at the next photo.

https://www.facebook.com/BCLionsFootball...470492281/
(08-06-2022, 08:17 PM)timocee Wrote: [ -> ]Goreddevils, I'll include a link here to Boyd County football's facebook page where someone posted 144 photos of the scrimmage. The pics are slanted of course in Boyd's favor. After looking at the photos, it appears Boyd had 4 or 5 tds and doesn't show any tds for Russell.  Just click on the arrow on the right to look at the next photo.

https://www.facebook.com/BCLionsFootball...470492281/

I did see those photos but. I'm not really even sure that Boyd would even show pictures of Russell scoring on Boyds own facebook. Those photos were mostly concentrated on Boyd. I didn't see many at all of Russell on offense.
Don't know if the same photographer from last year. They would post over a hundred photos that would also show the opposing team scoring last year. Just don't know.
I will say I hope the Russell defense improves enough over the season to make a run in the playoffs. I feel like the coaches will get them to where they are playing their best at playoff time.
Anyway I Hope Boyd has a great Season this year. I'd like to see them stomp Ashland.
Apparently no one went to this to provide actual results. I agree, though, that timocee's Facebook pics and that video likely tell some of the story. This is one of the reasons I was a little concerned for Russell's fortunes this year, too many players having to play both ways and maybe exhausting them, particularly in the heat of the early season games. Russell's defense looked like they wanted no part of making that tackle. It looked like they were still in two hand touch mode.

On the other hand, I didn't know Boyd had a new running back from Coal Grove. Maybe he is a beast? I heard Boyd's coach interviewed saying they return 20 starters this season so I would guess that Boyd is much improved. They may be contenders with Raceland for potential program of the year in the region this season. Like GoRedDevils said, this could be the year for Boyd County to beat Ashland, which would be historic. Ashland currently owns an 18 game winning streak against Boyd in which they've outscored them by an average of 40-10 in those wins. In the last 5 meetings between the teams, Ashland has posted 233 points to Boyd's 21. If Boyd does beat the Tomcats this year, someone better protect the goal posts at Putnam because it would be a program changing win.
(08-07-2022, 09:14 AM)16thregioner Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently no one went to this to provide actual results.  I agree, though, that timocee's Facebook pics and that video likely tell some of the story.  This is one of the reasons I was a little concerned for Russell's fortunes this year, too many players having to play both ways and maybe exhausting them, particularly in the heat of the early season games.  Russell's defense looked like they wanted no part of making that tackle.  It looked like they were still in two hand touch mode. 

On the other hand, I didn't know Boyd had a new running back from Coal Grove.  Maybe he is a beast?  I heard Boyd's coach interviewed saying they return 20 starters this season so I would guess that Boyd is much improved.  They may be contenders with Raceland for potential program of the year in the region this season.  Like GoRedDevils said, this could be the year for Boyd County to beat Ashland, which would be historic.  Ashland currently owns an 18 game winning streak against Boyd in which they've outscored them by an average of 40-10 in those wins.  In the last 5 meetings between the teams, Ashland has posted 233 points to Boyd's 21.  If Boyd does beat the Tomcats this year, someone better protect the goal posts at Putnam because it would be a program changing win.

Any time you return 20 starters as a team you have an opportunity for real growth as a program that second year. The downside is that in a short period you may have massive graduation loss. In these situations it is vital to have a strong JV schedule and get backups as many varsity reps as possible if you are to begin to build a program that competes year in and year out.
Yeah, Boyd seems to have a lot of players returning. But a two of their best players from last year are not listed on the roster on the KHSAA website for this year's roster. One of them was a sophomore and their biggest, strongest lineman (#78)  and the other was a freshman (#24) running back and db and fastest on the team and a division 1 prospect. Don't know if they transferred or what. With this crazy transfer mania going on in college football and I guess high school as well. Seen somewhere I read that Ashland had 2 of their best players transferred across the river to Ironton.
Boyd has a nice size Sophomore class with 20.
(08-07-2022, 04:01 PM)timocee Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, Boyd seems to have a lot of players returning. But a two of their best players from last year are not listed on the roster on the KHSAA website for this year's roster. One of them was a sophomore and their biggest, strongest lineman (#78)  and the other was a freshman (#24) running back and db and fastest on the team and a division 1 prospect. Don't know if they transferred or what. With this crazy transfer mania going on in college football and I guess high school as well. Seen somewhere I read that Ashland had 2 of their best players transferred across the river to Ironton.

I didn’t realize Collins had transferred from Boyd.  He was a good running back who was the leading rusher on the team last season.  That’s a big loss.  Wonder where he went.
I'm wondering the same thing.
Here's the Boyd freshman #24 after last season ended. Taking an official visit it appears to UK. Pictured with coach Stoops.

https://twitter.com/CamaronCollins/statu...03/photo/1

(08-07-2022, 09:14 AM)16thregioner Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently no one went to this to provide actual results.  I agree, though, that timocee's Facebook pics and that video likely tell some of the story.  This is one of the reasons I was a little concerned for Russell's fortunes this year, too many players having to play both ways and maybe exhausting them, particularly in the heat of the early season games.  Russell's defense looked like they wanted no part of making that tackle.  It looked like they were still in two hand touch mode. 

On the other hand, I didn't know Boyd had a new running back from Coal Grove.  Maybe he is a beast?  I heard Boyd's coach interviewed saying they return 20 starters this season so I would guess that Boyd is much improved.  They may be contenders with Raceland for potential program of the year in the region this season.  Like GoRedDevils said, this could be the year for Boyd County to beat Ashland, which would be historic.  Ashland currently owns an 18 game winning streak against Boyd in which they've outscored them by an average of 40-10 in those wins.  In the last 5 meetings between the teams, Ashland has posted 233 points to Boyd's 21.  If Boyd does beat the Tomcats this year, someone better protect the goal posts at Putnam because it would be a program changing win.
He hasn't played in a varsity game since 2020. I think he played some last year on Boyd's jv team while rehabbing from his acl injury knee. Here is a link to his play back in 2020 at Coal Grove. 
(08-07-2022, 04:20 PM)16thregioner Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2022, 04:01 PM)timocee Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, Boyd seems to have a lot of players returning. But a two of their best players from last year are not listed on the roster on the KHSAA website for this year's roster. One of them was a sophomore and their biggest, strongest lineman (#78)  and the other was a freshman (#24) running back and db and fastest on the team and a division 1 prospect. Don't know if they transferred or what. With this crazy transfer mania going on in college football and I guess high school as well. Seen somewhere I read that Ashland had 2 of their best players transferred across the river to Ironton.

I didn’t realize Collins had transferred from Boyd.  He was a good running back who was the leading rusher on the team last season.  That’s a big loss.  Wonder where he went.

(08-07-2022, 11:23 PM)timocee Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2022, 04:20 PM)16thregioner Wrote: [ -> ]

I didn't say the players transferred. No way for me to know that. I was just saying that the two players are not on the 2022 Boyd County football roster on the KHSAA website currently.