Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Jenkins looking to move back to 14th Region.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If Jenkins get their request granted. What would the 15th Region look like and especially the 59th district.  Would they just stay 3 teams or would they try to combine the 59th and 60th again like in the late 2000s??
When did they make this request and when will they know if its approved? I thought the David School applied to rejoin the KHSAA but I would imagine they would be like a Piarist school where you wouldn't know from year to year if they'd have enough to field teams.
(07-21-2022, 12:40 PM)clipperw Wrote: [ -> ]When did they make this request and when will they know if its approved? I thought the David School applied to rejoin the KHSAA but I would imagine they would be like a Piarist school where you wouldn't know from year to year if they'd have enough to field teams.
I think recently.  It’s on KHSAA board meeting agenda.  I think the meeting is tomorrow.
Thanks. I didn't know they were wanting to move back and made that request. 

I came across this article a few years back and as I reread it after seeing this thread, I can see why in some ways, Jenkins would like to move back to the 14th.

https://www.themountaineagle.com/article...s-regions/
The 14th Region would welcome Jenkins back into the 14th.
Jenkins comes back it would probably be a whole new alignment. Especially with June Buchanan and riverside not filling teams. Be interesting to see how it works out.
I don't think KHSAA wants to do a new alignment
I've always advocated Harlan County and Harlan with Letcher and Jenkins in the 53rd
I'd move Knott, Cordia and JBS to 15th to give that region enough teams
Any word from the KHSAA meeting today if it was approved or not?
(07-22-2022, 02:58 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think KHSAA wants to do a new alignment
I've always advocated Harlan County and Harlan with Letcher and Jenkins in the 53rd
That would be a thought. It would also be hard on Powell and estill if they had to travel to Harlan and the same if either Harlan team  had to travel to Powell or estill.
No big deal. Everyone plays a game or two during the season like that. HC played in Hilton Head, WInchester and Frankfort last year. Harlan played in Richmond and Monticello.
No one anywhere plays everyone in their region. I think Estill played Letcher, which is only about 20 miles from HC. The ONLY time it would ever come up would be a regional tourney trip to Harlan or Stanton.
Not sure the 14th region would vote to let Harlan host the region if they did come to the 14th. My guess would be a heavy no vote.
Jenkins needs to be back in the 14th. They are in Letcher County. Let’s bring them back. They had some good teams back in the day, I remember Chris Puckett was a Dandy Dual sport athlete.
(07-23-2022, 11:29 AM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure the 14th region would vote to let Harlan host the region if they did come to the 14th. My guess would be a heavy no vote.

The 13th feels the same way
Regardless of if they move or not, I hope Jenkins can get things built up there. It would be nice if Jenkins could produce athletes again one day like Chris Puckett and Micah Oden.
(07-22-2022, 02:58 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think KHSAA wants to do a new alignment
The 3 Knott County schools would be a nice fit in the 15th region. The county borders Floyd County and it’s not an extremely long drive to places like Prestonsburg and Pikeville. The location they picked out for Floyd Central is not too many miles from Knott Central. 
The only difference I would make in your suggestions is I would send Jackson County and Oneida Baptist from the 13th instead of the two Harlan County schools. Jackson County borders three 14th region schools, Owsley, Estill and Lee. And OBI is close to Owsley (19 miles), Leslie and Buckhorn.
I admire how courteous and classy you are in responses/posts.
I can't say your solution wouldn't work, but I think makes the 14th a little more competitive, which is probably some people don't want HC/Harlan there. I had one school official say "we don't want Harlan County here, they would win every year." While that's certainly not the case, it would make the region a tad tougher overall. The 14th is, by far, the weakest in the state in basketball and taking out Knott and adding Jackson would make it even weaker, at least most years. The Jackson girls may be stronger than Knott this year, but that isn't usually the case.
If you take Knott out and don't add Harlan, you would have a hard time finding district partners for Letcher unless you completely tear the region apart by moving over Perry/Hazard and then shifting everything else.
HC/Harlan would seamlessly fit into the 53rd and everything else could stay the same. The more I look at it though, you may still need a Jackson County in the 55th with Breathitt, Wolfe and Jackson City to have a full 16-team region. That would keep OBI in the same district/region as Clay.
It appears the 14th and KHSAA don't want Harlan County though. They weren't even allowed to move over even in track last year even though the region they were in involved lots of travel and had several more teams than the mountain track region.
(07-24-2022, 11:30 AM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]I admire how courteous and classy you are in responses/posts.
I can't say your solution wouldn't work, but I think makes the 14th a little more competitive, which is probably some people don't want HC/Harlan there. I had one school official say "we don't want Harlan County here, they would win every year." While that's certainly not the case, it would make the region a tad tougher overall. The 14th is, by far, the weakest in the state in basketball and taking out Knott and adding Jackson would make it even weaker, at least most years. The Jackson girls may be stronger than Knott this year, but that isn't usually the case.
If you take Knott out and don't add Harlan, you would have a hard time finding district partners for Letcher unless you completely tear the region apart by moving over Perry/Hazard and then shifting everything else.
HC/Harlan would seamlessly fit into the 53rd and everything else could stay the same. The more I look at it though, you may still need a Jackson County in the 55th with Breathitt, Wolfe and Jackson City to have a full 16-team region. That would keep OBI in the same district/region as Clay.
It appears the 14th and KHSAA don't want Harlan County though. They weren't even allowed to move over even in track last year even though the region they were in involved lots of travel and had several more teams than the mountain track region.
You definitely make some solid points about the strength of the 14th being improved with the Harlan County schools. I would have no issues with Harlan County and Harlan moving to the 14th. They would certainly be a natural rival for Letcher Central and Leslie County. 
I’m somewhat bias about my thoughts on Jackson County because I know quite a few people from there and many of them have mentioned to me that they would like to be moved to the 14th. So I hear it from their perspective often. In addition, there’s little doubt that the 14th is usually the weakest of the 16 regions. That is probably another motivator for them.
(07-24-2022, 11:30 AM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]I admire how courteous and classy you are in responses/posts.

Then the KHSAA turned around and made Harlan County host the mountain track region after saying it was too far for those schools to drive there for region.  Big Grin
Cordia is Basically in Hazard.... And Knott county central has a lot of statewide tradition even going back to Hindman and Carr Creek days, I don’t think they Knott county schools will be leaving the 14th IMO.
(07-25-2022, 10:50 PM)Norm Stewert Wrote: [ -> ]Cordia is Basically in Hazard.... And Knott county central has a lot of statewide tradition even going back to Hindman and Carr Creek days, I don’t think they Knott county schools will be leaving the 14th IMO.
There’s little doubt the KHSAA policy board will eventually be forced to realign the districts and regions but you make a good points about how long the Knott County schools have been in the 14th. And both Hindman and Carr Creek have won state championships. I don’t know how much emphasis they will place on how long teams have been in particular regions and traditions when they make their decisions. I agree that they most likely won’t move the Knott schools, or maybe no schools at all. The 14th as it is now has an even number 16 teams.
Not sure what that has to do with anything if you need to balance out the regions and one school/county fits and others don't. Laurel County won a state title in the 12th and moved to the 13th.
Depends on how you look at the 14th. RIverside didn't have either basketball team last year. JBS didn't have a boys team. Jackson City didn't have a girls team. There are four or five schools barely hanging on enrollment wise.
(07-27-2022, 11:12 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure what that has to do with anything if you need to balance out the regions and one school/county fits and others don't. Laurel County won a state title in the 12th and moved to the 13th.
Depends on how you look at the 14th. RIverside didn't have either basketball team last year. JBS didn't have a boys team. Jackson City didn't have a girls team. There are four or five schools barely hanging on enrollment wise.
I was just commenting on the poster’s point about how long the Knott schools had been in the 14th, probably dating back to the origin of the KHSAA. I don’t think that factors in when they make their decisions though, or it didn’t in 2005 when they last realigned.
Yes, I understand. My comment was more in response to the originai idea. Clay did argue that in the realignment plan in 2005 or so when they were listed as moving to the 14th. I think Knott may have been listed in the 15th on that one, but I'm not sure.
(07-28-2022, 08:53 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I understand. My comment was more in response to the originai idea. Clay did argue that in the realignment plan in 2005 or so when they were listed as moving to the 14th. I think Knott may have been listed in the 15th on that one, but I'm not sure.
HCS, I nominate you to come up with a draft sample of a new realignment, taking into consideration the future changes such as the two Carter County school consolations and Hoptown-Christian. Do I hear a second? ?
(07-29-2022, 12:48 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-28-2022, 08:53 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I understand. My comment was more in response to the originai idea. Clay did argue that in the realignment plan in 2005 or so when they were listed as moving to the 14th. I think Knott may have been listed in the 15th on that one, but I'm not sure.
HCS, I nominate you to come up with a draft sample of a new realignment, taking into consideration the future changes such as the two Carter County school consolations and Hoptown-Christian. Do I hear a second? ?
I might do one myself, eventually. I have started on a draft before and end up not finishing.
Lawrence county needs moved back to the 16th region also.
(07-29-2022, 08:14 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-29-2022, 12:48 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]
I might do one myself, eventually. I have started on a draft before and end up not finishing.

Me too. I had over half of the regions finished.
Jenkins should be in the 14th Region and Lawrence County should be in the 16th Region.
(08-23-2022, 10:10 AM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: [ -> ]Jenkins should be in the 14th Region and Lawrence County should be in the 16th Region.

Probably true, but you need 16 teams in the 15th if the goal is to be fair to all the regions/teams.
The more I look at this realignment suggestion by HCS the more I like it.
Pages: 1 2