Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What's next for Floyd central
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After the airing of FC school board meeting on WPRG, former HS coach Rady Martin informed the public that Former superintendent and board was in violation 3 years ago when they chose Coach Moore over him due to the rules and handbook.  He also asked if the new superintendent and board plans to follow the guidelines and bylaws in the current handbook and they was a pause. They the. Answered his question by saying that all positions are currently filled but will look at them ALL to make sure they're not in violation.

My question is simple if they are still in violation bc coach Moore is not a certified teacher who will take the reigns and when will they decide.   Will it be Rady Martin?  I personally would like to see Brandon Gearhart get the job especially if Justin Holbrook continues to deny the job
I didn’t think you had to be a certified teacher to be a head coach?
(06-29-2022, 10:15 PM)Fan of many Wrote: [ -> ]I didn’t think you had to be a certified teacher to be a head coach?
I didn't either but according to the floyd county handbook that Rady Martin brought to light during the board meeting a certified teacher with coaching experience automatically gets the nod of a non teacher or someone without expirence
Gotta love Floyd County
I just went and watched the replay of the meeting.

Rady Martin applied for the Floyd Central boys basketball head coaching position 3 years ago under a different board and superintendent. He didn’t get the job and then pointed out in the Floyd County handbook that certified personnel are to be given preference over other candidates.

Martin says that then superintendent Danny Adkins told him, “he didn’t give a damn what the handbook said.” Martin says he spoke with board members as well and someone at the KDE. Martin later goes on to say that his daughter left her teaching position in Floyd County out of fear she would be fired. His son was fired from his job with the Floyd school system without ever doing anything wrong. The son would go on to appeal his firing, but was never given the opportunity. Rady Martin says he was demoted by superintendent Adkins and had to take a pay cut. He basically said this has eaten at him for 3 years and it’s changed his life. He brings it before the new superintendent and board now so that it won’t happen to someone else in the future.

Martin asked the board at the end of the meeting if these policies will be used in the upcoming 22-23 school year and if there’s anyone in violation of the policy states in the handbook. Superintendent Anna Shepherd said they would look into it.
(06-30-2022, 12:05 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]I just went and watched the replay of the meeting.

Rady Martin applied for the Floyd Central boys basketball head coaching position 3 years ago under a different board and superintendent. He didn’t get the job and then pointed out in the Floyd County handbook that certified personnel are to be given preference over other candidates.

Martin says that then superintendent Danny Adkins told him, “he didn’t give a damn what the handbook said.” Martin says he spoke with board members as well and someone at the KDE. Martin later goes on to say that his daughter left her teaching position in Floyd County out of fear she would be fired. His son was fired from his job with the Floyd school system without ever doing anything wrong. The son would go on to appeal his firing, but was never given the opportunity. Rady Martin says he was demoted by superintendent Adkins and had to take a pay cut. He basically said this has eaten at him for 3 years and it’s changed his life. He brings it before the new superintendent and board now so that it won’t happen to someone else in the future.

Martin asked the board at the end of the meeting if these policies will be used in the upcoming 22-23 school year and if there’s anyone in violation of the policy states in the handbook. Superintendent Anna Shepherd said they would look into it.

He had a point. But then you keep reading what he didn’t mention. Hiring should be in line with KHSAA bylaws. And unless I missed something, the KHSAA bylaws does not say you have to be a teacher and/or certified. 

Sounds like some sour grapes. He realizes he’ll probably never get a head coaching position at the high school level, definitely not now, so he wanted to have a scape goat.

Apparently, he’s over qualified for the job. From someone who knows him, the only thing bigger than his head, is his ego.
You 100% have to be a Certified Teacher in the state of Kentucky to be a Head Coach in Athletics. Unless you get an Exemption from the KHSAA otherwise and the only way they give out an Exemption is if you're currently enrolled in School working toward that degree and it's on a year by year basis. The rule began back around the mid to late 90s as I remember The Great Bobby Keith of Clay County had to step down because of it briefly or maybe permanently I can't exactly remember.
And this is a microcosm of the Floyd County School System and is one reason why kids are leaving the county left and right for other school systems. I don't know who is right and who is wrong here, but the whole thing is another black eye for FCS. It looks bad on the outside and further damages the image of FCS.
(06-30-2022, 03:28 AM)Fanatic42 Wrote: [ -> ]You 100% have to be a Certified Teacher in the state of Kentucky to be a Head Coach in Athletics. Unless you get an Exemption from the KHSAA otherwise and the only way they give out an Exemption is if you're currently enrolled in School working toward that degree and it's on a year by year basis. The rule began back around the mid to late 90s as I remember The Great Bobby Keith of Clay County had to step down because of it briefly or maybe permanently I can't exactly remember.
BB king has worked coal fields his whole life and has been a coach fo 13 years.
(06-30-2022, 03:28 AM)Fanatic42 Wrote: [ -> ]You 100% have to be a Certified Teacher in the state of Kentucky to be a Head Coach in Athletics. Unless you get an Exemption from the KHSAA otherwise and the only way they give out an Exemption is if you're currently enrolled in School working toward that degree and it's on a year by year basis. The rule began back around the mid to late 90s as I remember The Great Bobby Keith of Clay County had to step down because of it briefly or maybe permanently I can't exactly remember.
you are simply wrong.   There are several head coaches in the 15th region that are not teachers or employed in any other capacity by Boards of Education.
I found this on the Floyd County Schools website.

Requirements
Head Coach and Assistant Coach – All High School Sports
Employee of the District. Employment may be either full-time or part-time and either certified or classified.
Successful completion of KHSAA coaching requirements.
If not certified, successful completion of Floyd County Schools Volunteer Training is required. Certification is for two (2) years.
If not a full time employee, an annual criminal records check under KRS 160.380 and KRS 161.1851 shall be required.
Hopefully a lot of losses.
You do not have to be a certified teacher to be a head coach.  However, by statute, if a certified person in the district wants the position they get it over a paraprofessional or classified staff.
You are 100% wrong.
There are really no KHSAA rules in KY that can be used in a court of law. There’s a way around all them.
(06-29-2022, 10:23 PM)Nolietotell Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-29-2022, 10:15 PM)Fan of many Wrote: [ -> ]I didn’t think you had to be a certified teacher to be a head coach?
I didn't either but according to the floyd county handbook that Rady Martin brought to light during the board meeting a certified teacher with coaching experience automatically gets the nod of a non teacher or someone without expirence
That goes for most schools. If a teacher wants it, they get it over someone from outside.

(06-30-2022, 11:58 AM)kai Wrote: [ -> ]
you are simply wrong.   There are several head coaches in the 15th region that are not teachers or employed in any other capacity by Boards of Education.
Right. A HC does not have to be a teacher but most schools operate that if the position is open and a teacher wants the position it is to go to them over an outside hire. If there isn’t a teacher that wants HC spot then it’s open for whoever the board wants to hire to fill it.
Did the Spriggs kid enroll?

Same old song and dance in EKY. Hire buddies or political hires and be bad. Then scream that someone is cheating when kids leave
I think they should shut down their program and focus on academics.
(08-16-2022, 05:10 PM)RTruth Wrote: [ -> ]Did the Spriggs kid enroll?

Same old song and dance in EKY. Hire buddies or political hires and be bad. Then scream that someone is cheating when kids leave

Spriggs did enroll. 100% He will be at Floyd Central this year.
Brother, I would say that seat will be extremely hot for Moore this season! Probably needs to make it out of the district this year, or they may run him out of left beaver!

#BWO4LIFE
(08-24-2022, 05:55 PM)BWO Wrote: [ -> ]Brother, I would say that seat will be extremely hot for Moore this season!  Probably needs to make it out of the district this year, or they may run him out of left beaver!

#BWO4LIFE

Absolute truth! Well said!
They just hire another one of their buddies,not interested in success
The cycle will continue no matter who they bring in.
Floyd county central needs to clean house in every sport. Shawn hager has won nothing in any sport. Needs to go and go now.