Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland self-reports possible recruiting violation to the KHSAA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Here is the link to the story as it was in the local Ashland newspaper yesterday.

https://www.dailyindependent.com/news/up...f8877.html
I’ll hold out to give a definitive judgement on my part until I know the contents of the recording. But…..If he is actually recruiting kids to come to play for him over his own in house players, not only the Coach but the principal who is downplaying this event should be let go as well.
From what I heard the recorded phone call is over an hour and their is also talk of this same thing happening with two other kids at a different school in the region. Both of these incidents involve schools in the 16th region.
Was talking poorly about Ashland returning players including the A.D.'s son.....probably not helping his case
(06-04-2022, 03:02 PM)Fanman Wrote: [ -> ]Was talking poorly about Ashland returning players including the A.D.'s son.....probably not helping his case

if that’s true, and he was recruiting someone in their spot then he and this principal who is downplaying the incident should be looking for another job.  That is just my opinion but I haven’t heard the tape so I’m judging off your comment.
Also, claiming you were drunk and dont remember the phone conversation, isnt a good defense lol.
The parent of the player recorded the phone call, why? What is the parent up too? Obviously the parent is shopping their kid around. Feel bad for the team that gets this player.
(06-04-2022, 04:16 PM)plantmanky Wrote: [ -> ]The parent of the player recorded the phone call, why?  What is the parent up too?  Obviously the parent is shopping their kid around.  Feel bad for the team that gets this player.
Coached called the father of the player, was a missed call. Father called him back and recorded. Probably knew what he wanted considering the coach's reputation
(06-04-2022, 04:23 PM)Fanman Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2022, 04:16 PM)plantmanky Wrote: [ -> ]The parent of the player recorded the phone call, why?  What is the parent up too?  Obviously the parent is shopping their kid around.  Feel bad for the team that gets this player.
Coached called the father of the player, was a missed call. Father called him back and recorded. Probably knew what he wanted considering the coach's reputation

Was this before or after so called dad called a state championship coach down state?  Just throwing this out there!
No idea, I'm only referring to the conversation I know something about lol.
But while we're on that subject, I'm not condoning ANYTHING that the father of this kid may have done to bait or put his kid out there. To me that's a different subject and I'm not saying that is right by any means. I'm only referring to the Ashland coach breaking recruiting rules. No matter what the father of the kid is guilty of, he is not a head coach who has to follow KHSAA guidelines.
Lot of misinformation and distortions in some of these posts. First of all, the coach did not call anyone. He was on vacation in South Carolina and he simply answered a phone call.. And for some reason the caller felt it necessary to record the call. From what I hear the tapes have been heard by school officials, which includes the AD who’s son plays, and they were okay with what they heard. Coach Mays probably shouldn’t have gotten into a conversation with the guy, and I’m sure they have told him that, but he wasn’t negative. He’s not a negative person. If one can twist saying that one of his players is a great shooter and if he improves his defense he will play at some level of college into it being a negative statement, well, that is beyond me.
As for the “drunk” comment, Jason doesn’t drink. And he was in South Carolina with his wife and two children to watch his son play on a baseball team when he received the call.
It bothers me that people can sat behind a computer screen and type away all types of untrue comments.

Why record the call though? Just say not interested and hang up.   Parent is no good, I wouldnt want the kid on my team.

(06-04-2022, 06:22 PM)Fanman Wrote: [ -> ]No idea, I'm only referring to the conversation I know something about lol.
But while we're on that subject, I'm not condoning ANYTHING that the father of this kid may have done to bait or put his kid out there.  To me that's a different subject and I'm not saying that is right by any means. I'm only referring to the Ashland coach breaking recruiting rules.  No matter what the father of the kid is guilty of, he is not a head coach who has to follow KHSAA guidelines.

I think the player should also get a suspension of games as well.  Parents have to learn their actions effect their kids.
Fire him.
Post the recording!  I’m one that believes in vindication AND if guilty of the accusations fire him and those that attempt to cover up!  If it’s all innocent then post the recording!
My first reaction was to think that it was a commendable act for Ashland to self-report the recruiting violation to the KHSAA. After giving the matter some more thought, my reaction is, "What choice did the school have after learning that the phone call was recorded?"

It would be interesting to know how the recording of the call reached the school.

I would have no problem with all of the transfers of players, which seems to be getting more common every year, if there were no rules governing the transfers. As a matter of principle, I think parents should have the right to send kids to the school of their choice. However, I also think that it is pretty obvious that there is widespread recruiting being done by some schools, which has resulted in a boom in the number of transfers. It would be far better to eliminate the rules governing transfers than to allow schools to disregard the rules that are in effect.

Also, I do not believe that many coaching staffs engage in direct contacts with players to recruit them. My sons were recruited by a "friend of the program" of a local high school team during a game involving the two teams. We declined to switch schools because sports was not our top priority for selecting the school that they attended. 

One of my sons was also approached immediately following an away game by players from the opposing school. Recruiting happens, it has always happend, and the KHSAA should remove the rules against it if they cannot fairly enforce the rules. 

Actually, the KHSAA should remove any rules that they cannot fairly enforce and rules that prevent parents from sending their children to the school of their choice should be eliminated because it is the right thing to do.

Until then, schools should follow the rules and be punished when they are caught cheating. If the Ashland coach attempted to recruit a player, then he should be fired. Period.
(06-04-2022, 07:00 PM)plantmanky Wrote: [ -> ]

Why record the call though? Just say not interested and hang up.   Parent is no good, I wouldnt want the kid on my team.

(06-04-2022, 06:22 PM)Fanman Wrote: [ -> ]No idea, I'm only referring to the conversation I know something about lol.
But while we're on that subject, I'm not condoning ANYTHING that the father of this kid may have done to bait or put his kid out there.  To me that's a different subject and I'm not saying that is right by any means. I'm only referring to the Ashland coach breaking recruiting rules.  No matter what the father of the kid is guilty of, he is not a head coach who has to follow KHSAA guidelines.

I think the player should also get a suspension of games as well.  Parents have to learn their actions effect their kids.
 Can you share the KHSAA ruling that punishes a player or players relative for talking to a coach recruiting them?

If there is another rule that I dont know about let me know

Was this before or after so called dad called a state championship coach down state?  Just throwing this out there!

who in the world are you kidding if you think that this is a 1 time incident with all schools not just Ashland.   Get over it 

(06-04-2022, 06:44 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]Lot of misinformation and distortions in some of these posts. First of all, the coach did not call anyone. He was on vacation in South Carolina and he simply answered a phone call.. And for some reason the caller felt it necessary to record the call. From what I hear the tapes have been heard by school officials, which includes the AD who’s son plays, and they were okay with what they heard. Coach Mays probably shouldn’t have gotten into a conversation with the guy, and I’m sure they have told him that, but he wasn’t negative. He’s not a negative person. If one can twist saying that one of his players is a great shooter and if he improves his defense he will play at some level of college into it being a negative statement, well, that is beyond me.
As for the “drunk” comment, Jason doesn’t drink. And he was in South Carolina with his wife and two children to watch his son play on a baseball team when he received the call.
It bothers me that people can sat behind a computer screen and type away all types of untrue comments.

spot on
Sounds like the dad was trying to bait him.
Hard to believe he recruited, if the parent called him sounds like to me he was trying to sell him. Who knows his auto warranty may be about to run out. People gets calls, not fair to call and not let them know it was a recorded line to me.
(06-04-2022, 10:59 PM)Mountain Sports 007 Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to believe he recruited, if the parent called him sounds like to me he was trying to sell him. Who knows his auto warranty may be about to run out. People gets calls, not fair to call and not let them know it was a recorded line to me.
"hard to believe he recruited"....Ashland brings in fresh faces every year, it's hard for any reasonable person to believe he didn't recruit.
(06-04-2022, 11:27 PM)SocratesKy Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2022, 10:59 PM)Mountain Sports 007 Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to believe he recruited, if the parent called him sounds like to me he was trying to sell him. Who knows his auto warranty may be about to run out. People gets calls, not fair to call and not let them know it was a recorded line to me.
"hard to believe he recruited"....Ashland brings in fresh faces every year, it's hard for any reasonable person to believe he didn't recruit.
Is it recruiting if the parent contacts them?
Mays called the parent. Parent recorded it because he is staying at Boyd. They are archivals in the same district, Why wouldn't he give it to the Boyd coaching staff?

Also, Mays did trash his team's players trying to coax the kid into coming. That's a fact.

Don't be surprised if this isn't over yet.
(06-04-2022, 11:30 PM)Mountain Sports 007 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2022, 11:27 PM)SocratesKy Wrote: [ -> ]
Is it recruiting if the parent contacts them?

According to KHSAA it depends on the actual conversation, and if the coach tried to recruit a kid/parent from rival school to come play over kids currently enrolled at the school.  The call originator is irrelevant.  

it’s a recorded conversation, so the answer should be black and white.  Release the recording if he is innocent.
(06-05-2022, 12:06 AM)sacbunt Wrote: [ -> ]Mays called the parent. Parent recorded it because he is staying at Boyd. They are archivals in the same district, Why wouldn't he give it to the Boyd coaching staff?

Also, Mays did trash his team's players trying to coax the kid into coming. That's a fact.

This is incorrect and false. Parent called Mays when the coach and his family were on vacation. I suppose he was shopping his kid around. He supposedly also called another school, in the 10th region, or was thinking of doing it. There was no “coaxing” on Mays’s part. His mistake was even talking to the guy but he is friendly with anyone he talks to. He would probably have a conversation with car warranty phone caller if the subject went to basketball, lol. 
And Mays would never “trash” his players. He loves those young men like they are his family. 
As I’ve said before in this thread, there’s a lot of misinformation and distortions in some of these posts. Most of it is grapevine/rumor mill stuff. He said, she said, blah, blah, blah.
(06-05-2022, 12:06 AM)sacbunt Wrote: [ -> ]Mays called the parent. Parent recorded it because he is staying at Boyd. They are archivals in the same district, Why wouldn't he give it to the Boyd coaching staff?

Spot on lol
(06-05-2022, 08:40 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]

This is incorrect and false. Parent called Mays when the coach and his family were on vacation. I suppose he was shopping his kid around. He supposedly also called another school, in the 10th region, or was thinking of doing it. There was no “coaxing” on Mays’s part. His mistake was even talking to the guy but he is friendly with anyone he talks to. He would probably have a conversation with car warranty phone caller if the subject went to basketball, lol. 
And Mays would never “trash” his players. He loves those young men like they are his family. 
As I’ve said before in this thread, there’s a lot of misinformation and distortions in some of these posts. Most of it is grapevine/rumor mill stuff. He said, she said, blah, blah, blah.

Then it should not be a problem to release the recording to the public, would you not agree?
(06-05-2022, 10:44 AM)SocratesKy Wrote: [ -> ]

Then it should not be a problem to release the recording to the public, would you not agree?
It wouldn’t be a problem with me but I’m not the decision maker in what happens in that county’s school systems. Most systems keep these type things in-house and handle it. Most colleges do as well. I believe Administrations from the schools involved have all heard the recording. 
The big question is why would someone place a call to someone and then record it???
Once this is looked into more (if the KHSAA does) which they probably won't but there is more than just this one kid. There is also two more from another school in the 16th region. There is also talk of a really good player coming in from New Jersey (I believe) and I think they hired his father to the coaching staff. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
(06-05-2022, 12:06 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]

It wouldn’t be a problem with me but I’m not the decision maker in what happens in that county’s school systems. Most systems keep these type things in-house and handle it. Most colleges do as well. I believe Administrations from the schools involved have all heard the recording. 
The big question is why would someone place a call to someone and then record it???

Good question, yes, but that the potential KHSAA violation is blatantly recruiting players.

(06-05-2022, 12:18 PM)SocratesKy Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2022, 12:06 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]

Good question, yes, but that the potential KHSAA violation is blatantly recruiting players.  So no the big question is not who originated the call, why it was recorded, etc. It is the content of the conversation.
Who will be the next coach at Ashland? Hearing Steve Wright is involved.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21